Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (134) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464442 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by austino677(m): 5:21am On Dec 23, 2015
Barywhyte:
I just don't understand why people keep talking about dual boot when there are free virtual machines out there. And for those having problems with dual booting, just know that if your machine's firmware is UEFI, probably preinstalled with legacy OS, u can as well forget about successful dual booting, thanks to the Microsoft jealousy
virtual box which doesn't run enough task...at times force closing apps...dual booting and installing to drive direct sure pass
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:06am On Dec 23, 2015
Barywhyte:

A system with windows8 preinstalled is a good hardware with capability for virtualization. U can't lose ur license that way. Hardware are cheap these days.

Actually, if you buy any new low end pc today, it will probably be running win8 or win10. That doesn't mean it can handle virtualization properly (i.e. without significant performance lag)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 9:13am On Dec 23, 2015
blackweaver:

Actually, if you buy any new low end pc today, it will probably be running win8 or win10. That doesn't mean it can handle virtualization properly (i.e. without significant performance lag)

There is no system with windows10 preinstalled that can't handle simple stuff like virtualization. Windows10 isn't OS that run on "low end pc" whatever that means.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:20am On Dec 23, 2015
austino677:
Am just having hard time booting manjaro os on unetbootin....error 15 file not found..but if i go back to main menu selecting start it will boot up..at times kernel will fail..but in linux mint i don't face such....no error 15 am running them thru my hard disk no pen drive or cd..dunni if someone can help out

I haven't tried manjaro before. what version is it by the way? By the way if you want help on booting, you will have to upload a snapshot of the boot error message. Also, what's you pc model and specs? Am i right in guessing cam with win8/win10 preinstalled?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by austino677(m): 12:13pm On Dec 23, 2015
blackweaver:

I haven't tried manjaro before. what version is it by the way? By the way if you want help on booting, you will have to upload a snapshot of the boot error message. Also, what's you pc model and specs? Am i right in guessing cam with win8/win10 preinstalled?
wins 10 core i7 4gb ram...2gb nvidia....320 hdd...latest version of manjaro os both kde and xfce also new r2 December update ....it came with wins7 upgraded to wins 10...so dual booting to manjaro os

Re: Ubuntu Linux by austino677(m): 6:11pm On Dec 23, 2015
Mint showing up

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chomzy19(f): 9:31am On Dec 24, 2015
Please Gurus in the house can anyone help direct me on where to buy an ubuntu Linux cd. I bought an acer laptop with linpus Linux OS, turned out to be just a boot up OS, after much googling it turned out to be quite a common problem and I found out its easier to install another distros so I choose to go with ubuntu Linux. The problem now is I don't know where I can get a CD, only info I found is how to download it and I don't have a system that I can do that with. Guys please I need your help.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chrylich(m): 12:47pm On Dec 24, 2015
Chomzy19:
Please Gurus in the house can anyone help direct me on where to buy an ubuntu Linux cd. I bought an acer laptop with linpus Linux OS, turned out to be just a boot up OS, after much googling it turned out to be quite a common problem and I found out its easier to install another distros so I choose to go with ubuntu Linux. The problem now is I don't know where I can get a CD, only info I found is how to download it and I don't have a system that I can do that with. Guys please I need your help.

Iono, but I think getting a live CD might be somewhat difficult. This is 2015, most pple aren't installing a linux (ubuntu to be more specific) distro with a CD. You can't find any other PC around you can use to create a live USB?? No other PC around?? The last time (like 2 weeks ago) I downloaded the image file (latest ubuntu iso installation file) from the ubuntu website, I downloaded it to my phone and transferred it to a neighbour's windows PC that I borrowed afterwards to create the live USB.

Alternatively, you should be able to pick up a windows installation disc easily. You can just install the windows first and use that to download the iso file and do whatever is necessary; that's if it is possible to have the windows installed on that 'special' PC, and I think it should be possible.

wait for other responses though, you could find a better one

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 3:09pm On Dec 24, 2015
Chomzy19:

@chrylich is right. Get a window CD and create a live usb stick. If you are in Lagos or Ibadan. U can get a ubuntu live usb stick from me free ni o lol
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chomzy19(f): 3:30pm On Dec 24, 2015
Chrylich:

Iono, but I think getting a live CD might be somewhat difficult. This is 2015, most pple aren't installing a linux (ubuntu to be more specific) distro with a CD. You can't find any other PC around you can use to create a live USB?? No other PC around?? The last time (like 2 weeks ago) I downloaded the image file (latest ubuntu iso installation file) from the ubuntu website, I downloaded it to my phone and transferred it to a neighbour's windows PC that I borrowed afterwards to create the live USB.

Alternatively, you should be able to pick up a windows installation disc easily. You can just install the windows first and use that to download the iso file and do whatever is necessary; that's if it is possible to have the windows installed on that 'special' PC, and I think it should be possible.

wait for other responses though, you could find a better one
thanks dear. My brother will soon be back home i'll download with his system. So if i download d iso file, i store it in a flash and boot from the flash right? Is there anything more to the process? Thanks for your help.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chomzy19(f): 3:41pm On Dec 24, 2015
Barywhyte:

@chrylich is right. Get a window CD and create a live usb stick. If you are in Lagos or Ibadan. U can get a ubuntu live usb stick from me free ni o lol
thanks but i'm not in lagos and i cant even install windows os on it without typing a set of dos commands i dont know, the linpus linux has no GUI its frustrating.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 4:10pm On Dec 24, 2015
Chomzy19:
thanks but i'm not in lagos and i cant even install windows os on it without typing a set of dos commands i dont know, the linpus linux has no GUI its frustrating.

Can you access the system from the cli? If so do the following steps.

$su - #that take you to root account
$/etc/init.d/gdm restart. #the distr is fedora based so gdm should be there.

Let's back from you ok
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chrylich(m): 5:24pm On Dec 24, 2015
Chomzy19:

I don't understand what you mean you can't install windows os on it without typing a set of dos commands. I don't really know what's up with the system but from the little experience I have, when you boot a system, there are some hot keys (any of the f1-f12 keys depending on your type of PC ) that gets you into modifying some default stuffs (BIOS) by pressing one of them immediately after booting up. This should get you into setting your default boot drive (hard drive, usb drive, cd rom). If you are successful with selecting the cd rom (you might have it presented as a different name), you can just place the windows installation disc in the cd rom and when next you boot, you should have the system reading from the disc and not whatever has been loading the linpus linux OS by default. But again, Acer/Linpus linux OS , it might be really different, so wait for the gurus

In summary (since you cannot get another PC for now):
1. Get a windows installation disc (windows 7 preferably) ready.
2. Boot up your system and immediately press one of the f1 - f12 keys to get you into the system BIOS setup. Mine is f10 and yours shouldn't be really different. You can try the f10 first, if it doesn't load the BIOS and gets you into the linpus OS, hold down the power button (according to popular belief, this weakens the hard disc) to switch off the system manually and then boot up again to start all over (try f3 now,then f12 then others.).
3. You will be presented with a GUI that forms the operation you can perform on the BIOS setup and you should be able to select the default boot drive from there.
Note: Steps II and III are in fact necessary if you want to install another OS (including your chosen Ubuntu)..
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chrylich(m): 5:26pm On Dec 24, 2015
Chomzy19:
thanks dear. My brother will soon be back home i'll download with his system. So if i download d iso file, i store it in a flash and boot from the flash right? Is there anything more to the process? Thanks for your help.

You don't just store the iso file in a flash and boot from it. You have to create a bootable flash, google 'Universal USB Installer', it is one of the popular softwares you can use, it is really easy.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chrylich(m): 6:00pm On Dec 24, 2015
Chomzy19, I was able to dig this http://www.amfastech.com/2014/05/how-to-install-windows-7-or-8-in-linpus.html through google (you should have seen that too when you did your own search)

and don't just stick to that fake windows after installing it ooo, you have to go further, make that PC entirely Ubuntu..
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chomzy19(f): 12:05am On Dec 25, 2015
Chrylich:

I don't understand what you mean you can't install windows os on it without typing a set of dos commands. I don't really know what's up with the system but from the little experience I have, when you boot a system, there are some hot keys (any of the f1-f12 keys depending on your type of PC ) that gets you into modifying some default stuffs (BIOS) by pressing one of them immediately after booting up. This should get you into setting your default boot drive (hard drive, usb drive, cd rom). If you are successful with selecting the cd rom (you might have it presented as a different name), you can just place the windows installation disc in the cd rom and when next you boot, you should have the system reading from the disc and not whatever has been loading the linpus linux OS by default. But again, Acer/Linpus linux OS , it might be really different, so wait for the gurus

In summary (since you cannot get another PC for now):
1. Get a windows installation disc (windows 7 preferably) ready.
2. Boot up your system and immediately press one of the f1 - f12 keys to get you into the system BIOS setup. Mine is f10 and yours shouldn't be really different. You can try the f10 first, if it doesn't load the BIOS and gets you into the linpus OS, hold down the power button (according to popular belief, this weakens the hard disc) to switch off the system manually and then boot up again to start all over (try f3 now,then f12 then others.).
3. You will be presented with a GUI that forms the operation you can perform on the BIOS setup and you should be able to select the default boot drive from there.
Note: Steps II and III are in fact necessary if you want to install another OS (including your chosen Ubuntu)..
Thanks really. The F keys don't bring up anything but immediately on start up, it does show a GUI with two options:
A) linpus linux
B) create a bootable usb disk
I suppose this is the BIOS. No option for Cd/dvd rom tho. If I select the linpus linux it then goes into that command line place where no command can be found. (I really should have done my research before buying this system) I suppose installing windows 7 option is out now. I"ll try and download the universal usb stuff n proceed from there.
Compliments of the season btw n thanks again.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chomzy19(f): 12:09am On Dec 25, 2015
Barywhyte:

Can you access the system from the cli? If so do the following steps.

$su - #that take you to root account
$/etc/init.d/gdm restart. #the distr is fedora based so gdm should be there.

Let's back from you ok
thanks dear. Tried it n it kept returning 'command not found'
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 4:12am On Dec 25, 2015
Chomzy19:
thanks dear. Tried it n it kept returning 'command not found'

Sorry that's not BIOS, its called Grub menu. Its just a place for displaying all OSs installed on the harddisk. there isn't much support for linpus anyway. I think that interface is not cli. Mayb a grub prompt. And that leave you with few technical options. Did u see something like grub> or rescue grub>? If not, then I don't know what ur seeing.

If hot keys F1 to F12 fail to take you to BIOS, then try ESC or DELETE key. Some systems are designed that way. Your system must have firmware either BIOS or UEFI.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chrylich(m): 8:00am On Dec 25, 2015
Barywhyte:

Sorry that's not BIOS, its called Grub menu. Its just a place for displaying all OSs installed on the harddisk. there isn't much support for linpus anyway. I think that interface is not cli. Mayb a grub prompt. And that leave you with few technical options. Did u see something like grub> or rescue grub>? If not, then I don't know what ur seeing.

If hot keys F1 to F12 fail to take you to BIOS, then try ESC or DELETE key. Some systems are designed that way. Your system must have firmware either BIOS or UEFI.

I think it is still CLI, those commands might just be different on that OS or she didn't type them in correctly.

Chomzy19:
Thanks really. The F keys don't bring up anything but immediately on start up, it does show a GUI with two options:
A) linpus linux
B) create a bootable usb disk
I suppose this is the BIOS. No option for Cd/dvd rom tho. If I select the linpus linux it then goes into that command line place where no command can be found. (I really should have done my research before buying this system) I suppose installing windows 7 option is out now. I"ll try and download the universal usb stuff n proceed from there.
Compliments of the season btw n thanks again.

I think we have a solution now. There is an option to create a bootable USB disk and that's about all we need to install another OS.

The Universal USB Installer I asked you to check does the same job as that second option (create a bootable usb disk), so all you prolly need to do now is to have the new OS downloaded and make a bootable USB with it.

I still think you should be able to download the OS to your phone and have it transferred to that same PC with a flash drive plugged in and that 'create a bootable USB disk' option used to create the bootable flash.

If you are getting a CLI and not a grub mode, you only need to type some few commands to mount the external drives (your phone and a flash drive). This mounting might not be necessary though, the linpus might just have it mounted automatically.

What you actually need to know for now is what that second option shows when you choose it.

From my experience of creating a bootable flash with about two different softwares, what is really needed to be done is to choose the source file (from your hard disk or your *phone or even another flash drive) and the destination drive (USB flash drive in this case) and wait for the process to complete. You shouldn't be getting something really different too possibly.

Can you recognize a prompt when you see one (sorry, I have no idea your level of experience)??
Can you see something like below when you choose the linpus os:
[root@localhost/]#

or
$

If yes, what do you get when you type in
ls
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chrylich(m): 8:17am On Dec 25, 2015
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chomzy19(f): 11:37am On Dec 25, 2015
Chrylich:

I think it is still CLI, those commands might just be different on that OS or she didn't type them in correctly.

I think we have a solution now. There is an option to create a bootable USB disk and that's about all we need to install another OS.

The Universal USB Installer I asked you to check does the same job as that second option (create a bootable usb disk), so all you prolly need to do now is to have the new OS downloaded and make a bootable USB with it.

I still think you should be able to download the OS to your phone and have it transferred to that same PC with a flash drive plugged in and that 'create a bootable USB disk' option used to create the bootable flash.

If you are getting a CLI and not a grub mode, you only need to type some few commands to mount the external drives (your phone and a flash drive). This mounting might not be necessary though, the linpus might just have it mounted automatically.

What you actually need to know for now is what that second option shows when you choose it.

From my experience of creating a bootable flash with about two different softwares, what is really needed to be done is to choose the source file (from your hard disk or your *phone or even another flash drive) and the destination drive (USB flash drive in this case) and wait for the process to complete. You shouldn't be getting something really different too possibly.

Can you recognize a prompt when you see one (sorry, I have no idea your level of experience)??
Can you see something like below when you choose the linpus os:
[root@localhost/]#

or
$

If yes, what do you get when you type in
ls
yes the [root@localhost/] is the prompt I always get and no matter what I type in is always command not found or file/directory not found.
Then when I choose the create a bootable usb disk and insert a flash it says "create a live usb disk (yes or no). if you answer yes, the data on your usb disk will be destroyed"
So I can't use my phone because I don't want to wipe my data.
I believe it's grub mode cos it writes GNU Grub Version .... on start up.
I will download the OS on another system store in a flash and use it to create a live usb disk. ( what you are saying is that I don't need to download the universal usb installer again right?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chomzy19(f): 11:46am On Dec 25, 2015
Chrylich:
and you should check this out too:
[url]http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3182/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDUxMDI2NzEzL3NpZC9JNmo3R1FFbQ%3D%3D[/url]
Thanks. This was very helpful. Have changed to the f12 boot menu but it still has only one option (HDD) which when I select still goes to linpus linux or bootable usb disk.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chrylich(m): 6:02pm On Dec 25, 2015
a
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chomzy19(f): 2:34am On Dec 26, 2015
@chrylich and barywhyte thank you guys for all your help. Was finally able to install the ubuntu through the universal usb installer method.
Problem now is my trackpad isn't working cry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 6:00am On Dec 26, 2015
Chomzy19:
@chrylich and barywhyte thank you guys for all your help. Was finally able to install the ubuntu through the universal usb installer method.
Problem now is my trackpad isn't working cry

Ur welcm. Was it working b4 now? Is it showing somthing like red light? If yes, tap the top right hand corner of the trackpad.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chomzy19(f): 12:50pm On Dec 26, 2015
Barywhyte:

Ur welcm. Was it working b4 now? Is it showing somthing like red light? If yes, tap the top right hand corner of the trackpad.
dont really know if it was working b4, its a new system. D trackpad isnt locked but i saw some solutions on google i'll try out later.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Beejayw(m): 8:24pm On Dec 28, 2015
Bosses in the house....please I need ur help oooo
So I installed pearos8 on a different partition and now I can't access my windows again... each time I boot it jumps to the Linux startup screen and the Linux won't load too...it gives error loading root file blah blah...please how can I get my windows back please....help needed urgently

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 1:00am On Dec 29, 2015
Beejayw:
Bosses in the house....please I need ur help oooo
So I installed pearos8 on a different partition and now I can't access my windows again... each time I boot it jumps to the Linux startup screen and the Linux won't load too...it gives error loading root file blah blah...please how can I get my windows back please....help needed urgently

The initial RAM filesystem is damaged.

My advice: get a working version of this distro; same version and copy its boot directory into the damaged fs i.e into the / directory of the one you are trying to repair. Or u can just copy initramdisk from the boot directory of the working distr and paste it into /boot of the damaged one while deleting bad initramfs. Then reboot.

You have to do this with the help of live usb stick containing distr whose initramdisk or /boot directory you are copying. I hope u understand.

However, there is no guarantee this will work. It once worked for me tho on ubuntu 14.04

To get ur windows back. Ur need some basic knowledge of Linux
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Habholarji(m): 10:17am On Dec 29, 2015
Barywhyte:

The initial RAM filesystem is damaged.

My advice: get a working version of this distro; same version and copy its boot directory into the damaged fs i.e into the / directory of the one you are trying to repair. Or u can just copy initramdisk from the boot directory of the working distr and paste it into /boot of the damaged one while deleting bad initramfs. Then reboot.

You have to do this with the help of live usb stick containing distr whose initramdisk or /boot directory you are copying. I hope u understand.

However, there is no guarantee this will work. It once worked for me tho on ubuntu 14.04

To get ur windows back. Ur need some basic knowledge of Linux
thanks boss I have somehow deleted the Linux os and then repaired my windows....I don't know if I can get a link to any working Linux distro...that's a sure one that will work....thanks again
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 10:23am On Dec 29, 2015
Habholarji:

thanks boss I have somehow deleted the Linux os and then repaired my windows....I don't know if I can get a link to any working Linux distro...that's a sure one that will work....thanks again

ubuntu.com for ubuntu distro or centos.org for CentOS distr. Find d appropriate distro for your computer architecture.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Habholarji(m): 10:37am On Dec 29, 2015
Barywhyte:

ubuntu.com for ubuntu distro or centos.org for CentOS distr. Find d appropriate distro for your computer architecture.
my architecture is 64bit and that Linux I loaded before is also 64bit....I have downloaded ubuntu15.04 and and also mint 17.3 but I'm yet to load them. just don't wanna go over the ish I faced before

(1) (2) (3) ... (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.