Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,621 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (141) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464583 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 12:11pm On Jul 01, 2016
Maleeq:
OK. I think i got it! Apparently, the space left on my /boot partition isn't enough to install the new kernel. I had a bunch of old and unused kernels still installed. The fix was to remove them:

1. run uname -r to get the current linux kernel in use.

2. run dpkg -l | grep ^ii | grep linux-image | awk {'print $2'} | grep -v extra to get a listing of all kernels installed.

3. For each kernel in #2 that is not the current Kernel listed in #1, run dpkg --purge linux-image-x.xx.x-xx-generic
the x represents the kernel details.

4. run sudo apt-get install -f and you should be fine.

maleeq,how do I will install extreme download manager?
Been trying sudo~apt~get install exdm
Doesn't seem to work.
Do I have to create an account on the bash page or something?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 8:35am On Jul 04, 2016
purplekayc:
maleeq,how do I will install extreme download manager?
Been trying sudo~apt~get install exdm
Doesn't seem to work.
Do I have to create an account on the bash page or something?

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/apps
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install xdman
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 4:17pm On Jul 04, 2016
Maleeq:

$ sudo apt-get update
Before using the bash script
I would have to create a username?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 4:19am On Jul 05, 2016
purplekayc:

Before using the bash script
I would have to create a username?

Don't you already have a username.

type 'whoami' or do a 'w', 'who', 'finger'

All sudo does is that it executes an command with administrative privileges. sudo it's telling the Linux or UNIX based system to switch user to root user to execute a command. It doesn't actually switch the user to root (that is su command). Best of luck
Re: Ubuntu Linux by peterincredible: 2:31am On Jul 12, 2016
anytime i enable 3d acceleration on my virtual box my ubuntu 16.4lts wont boot it will just show a black blank screen and if i dont enable it even when i have installed guest installation the ubuntu os will still be very slow pls do anybody have any idea of solving this tanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chxta(m): 3:21pm On Jul 12, 2016
Been a wee while since I swung around these parts. Glad to see that y'all are going strong. Stay safe people.

P.S - I've been a KDE buff for years now, so Kubuntu it is for me these days.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:36am On Jul 13, 2016
Chxta:

P.S - I've been a KDE buff for years now, so Kubuntu it is for me these days.

More of a xubuntu person myself, or Ubuntu mate. Still don't like gnome3 or unity and kde5 has totally lost me
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ukorsimplicity(m): 2:17pm On Jul 14, 2016
@op I have a HP pavilion g series that run on windows 7, my question is

1. After installing Ubuntu, do I need to install drivers for USB, WiFi and other feature to work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 3:26pm On Jul 14, 2016
ukorsimplicity:
@op I have a HP pavilion g series that run on windows 7, my question is

1. After installing Ubuntu, do I need to install drivers for USB, WiFi and other feature to work.

No you don't, unless there's a device that uses proprietary drivers, the ones that come out of the box with Ubuntu will suffice
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ukorsimplicity(m): 3:50pm On Jul 14, 2016
blackweaver:

No you don't, unless there's a device that uses proprietary drivers, the ones that come out of the box with Ubuntu will suffice

That simply mean my universal modem or mtn dongle will work after installing Ubuntu?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:42am On Jul 15, 2016
ukorsimplicity:

That simply mean my universal modem or mtn dongle will work after installing Ubuntu?

It should. If you're not sure boot up the livecd and see if your dongle will work - but generally it should

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ukorsimplicity(m): 3:15pm On Jul 15, 2016
blackweaver:

It should. If you're not sure boot up the livecd and see if your dongle will work - but generally it should

Thank you for your prompt response, will let you know if I run into any glitch. Thanks again.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Beejayw(m): 4:57pm On Jul 16, 2016
bosses in the house I downloaded Ubuntu 16.04 version,made a Bootable USB with it and ran it on my system but I'm stucked with the error 5 input/output error due to bad cd/DVD blah blah,I have already carried out the various suggestions the Ubuntu gave me but still no way forward,anyone with the idea of how to go about it,please help anyone brother,thanks in advance
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Beejayw(m): 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2016
anyone here?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:29am On Jul 18, 2016
Either your flash drive is bad or the .iso is bad.

You shouldn't be getting I/O errors with a USB stick

Try another stick, if its the same issue then download the .iso again
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Beejayw(m): 8:57am On Jul 18, 2016
4llerbuntu:

at last someone,thanks boss,will try that today and get back here
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:47pm On Jul 18, 2016
4llerbuntu:

Beejayw:

at last someone,thanks boss,will try that today and get back here

or if you can get a rewritable (NOT recordable o, since that can only written once), then you can try writing the iso to it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:17am On Jul 19, 2016
blackweaver:

More of a xubuntu person myself, or Ubuntu mate. Still don't like gnome3 or unity and kde5 has totally lost me

More of a gnome 3 person this days. yet I still will not recommend it for the new user. from my experience with new users. Most of our staff and student researchers (over 200 of them) seem comfortable with Ubuntu unity. I rarely have to do any introduction.. they just get right on with it. which I think speaks to how good unity usability is especially with new non traditional Linux users.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:26am On Jul 19, 2016
KDE sadly has really been hit by the demise of Nokia and lack of corporate sponsorship. It should be recalled that Nokia owned Qt the toolkit framework which KDE is based as a result many KDE developers were sponsored by Nokia to work on Qt. Qt was all set to conquer the world and create a convergence UI that span from mobile, to desktop and KDE was all set to benefit. Then Elop happened, Nokia killed off Meego and by extension their involvement with Qt. Although Qt is still striving, development has slowed and as a result many KDE developers (especially the paid one) scaled back involvements.

The community bravely stepped up to the plate, but community effort is not enough to push the KDE and standards kde set. Dont get me wrong, project is still awesome and KDE 5 is looking good. But many projects are lack active maintenance (can't remember the last time Amarok had a release) and the result is lots of bugs which sometimes take time to fix. I even heard the oxygen project now lack maintainers sad.

Gnome on the other hand still has lots of corporate backing, especially from redhat and to some extent canonical. Gnome 3 has great polish although the usual annoying knack for hidden features and over simplification still plaques gnome. but a good hacker should be able to get round such silly limitations. I really enjoy gnome 3. Although it does come at a huge cost in ram.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 8:26pm On Jul 19, 2016
bigrovar:
KDE sadly has really been hit by the demise of Nokia and lack of corporate sponsorship. It should be recalled that Nokia owned Qt the toolkit framework which KDE is based as a result many KDE developers were sponsored by Nokia to work on Qt. Qt was all set to conquer the world and create a convergence UI that span from mobile, to desktop and KDE was all set to benefit. Then Elop happened, Nokia killed off Meego and by extension their involvement with Qt. Although Qt is still striving, development has slowed and as a result many KDE developers (especially the paid one) scaled back involvements.

The community bravely stepped up to the plate, but community effort is not enough to push the KDE and standards kde set. Dont get me wrong, project is still awesome and KDE 5 is looking good. But many projects are lack active maintenance (can't remember the last time Amarok had a release) and the result is lots of bugs which sometimes take time to fix. I even heard the oxygen project now lack maintainers sad.

Gnome on the other hand still has lots of corporate backing, especially from redhat and to some extent canonical. Gnome 3 has great polish although the usual annoying knack for hidden features and over simplification still plaques gnome. but a good hacker should be able to get round such silly limitations. I really enjoy gnome 3. Although it does come at a huge cost in ram.

Nice summary, I hope KDE picks up really quickly. I see it as the real winner in the UI convergence paradigm as far as community-driven Linux goes.
I am a KDE fan and Kubuntu does it for me. I might venture into Arch or Debian one of these days. Currently running KDE Neon on VirtualBox, who knows it might just be the next daily driver for me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by femarse: 9:00pm On Jul 20, 2016
pls I want to lay my hands on Linux which one should I go for Ubuntu ? Fedora? Linux mint ? beside am planning on dual booting it with window system spec is Intel celeron n2830 500g ROM 2g RAM thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:48am On Jul 21, 2016
femarse:
pls I want to lay my hands on Linux which one should I go for Ubuntu ? Fedora? Linux mint ? beside am planning on dual booting it with window system spec is Intel celeron n2830 500g ROM 2g RAM thanks
I would recommend you use xfce flavour of Ubuntu which is called xububtu. I would have recommended Linux mint but their recent security lapses have made me lost faith in the project. Xububtu will perform wonders on that hardware of yours. It is a light weight desktop aimed at lower power computer that you are running. Fedora for me has always been considered a testing ground for red hat so unless it is for learning ( in which case use cent OS) I never recommend fedora.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by femarse: 7:36am On Jul 22, 2016
bigrovar:
I would recommend you use xfce flavour of Ubuntu which is called xububtu. I would have recommended Linux mint but their recent security lapses have made me lost faith in the project. Xububtu will perform wonders on that hardware of yours. It is a light weight desktop aimed at lower power computer that you are running. Fedora for me has always been considered a testing ground for red hat so unless it is for learning ( in which case use cent OS) I never recommend fedora.

thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 11:19am On Jul 24, 2016
femarse:

For your laptop I will recommend you look at lightweight distros. Apart from Xubuntu, Linux Lite and Puppy Linux are other suggestions.
Have fun in the process.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 10:42am On Jul 25, 2016
Maleeq:

$ sudo apt-get update
sorry , i run debian not ubuntu
but i still had this error when trying to install an app

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 5:07pm On Jul 25, 2016
wink

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 2:14pm On Jul 27, 2016
purplekayc:
sorry , i run debian not ubuntu
but i still had this error when trying to install an app

From what I can tell you are only trying to download that app from Sourceforge.
In my opinion, I will not recommend your approach on using wget to install apps for now. Use the apt command as suggested by Maleeq and you should be fine.
Share your screenshot if you still encounter problems.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 2:30pm On Jul 27, 2016
Gargoylesmiles:

From what I can tell you are only trying to download that app from Sourceforge.
In my opinion, I will not recommend your approach on using wget to install apps for now. Use the apt command as suggested by Maleeq and you should be fine.
Share your screen shot if you still encounter problems.
just did that this is what i got ..plz advice

am having problems determining my sudo password

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 3:21pm On Jul 27, 2016
purplekayc:
just did that this is what i got ..plz advice

am having problems determining my sudo password

The requested password is your login password. Mind you your account must have administrator rights which I believe is the case here.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 3:33pm On Jul 27, 2016
Gargoylesmiles:

The requested password is your login password. Mind you your account must have administrator rights which I believe is the case here.
i think i resolved the problem
but i cant remember the password its requesting
i punched in my main password several times but it rejected it.
not sure if my account has admin rights
how do i check?

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.