Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,920 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (140) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464227 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by shawlxAk(m): 5:54am On Apr 23, 2016
Update the sound and graphics drivers.

Connect to the Internet and run Windows update.

pharmguru:
hy guys pls help me out...
my windows o.s had a problem so i had 8.1 installed instead of d previous windows 8. and the laptop was opened in the process...for d first tym.
now d oroblem is, my pc is not its usual self again.
the soound quality is greatly reduced...the brightness does not regulate again...and its view is as if it is horizontally stretched. in short many tins changed.
dont knw if there iss any soluttions to these problems

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 6:39am On Apr 23, 2016
4llerbuntu:
I've been running 16.04 since Beta 2 was released.

what do you mean by 'Clean Install with previous version'?

clean install = Wipe /System partition at least.
its called clean because you clean the hard drive of previous system files. its a brand new install

i meant "clean" as in not using the software manager, as in reinstalling the OS where it detects previous installation ( of ubuntu ) and asks you to install it while you keep only your /home folder.

Anyways i have a old drive with 15.04, that's why i was kinda concerned.... I already have 16 running, and it's pretty much crisp though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by pharmguru: 10:36am On Apr 23, 2016
shawlxAk:
Update the sound and graphics drivers.

Connect to the Internet and run Windows update.

tnx a bunch bro....wil do dat ASAP
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:03pm On Apr 30, 2016
uninstalled ubuntu 16.04, i'm team Fedora now... maybe i go open my own fedora thread self

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 8:18am On May 02, 2016
Jregz:
uninstalled ubuntu 16.04, i'm team Fedora now... maybe i go open my own fedora thread self

What is so good about Fedora? To me, Linux is Linux!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Toroze(m): 2:02pm On May 02, 2016
Fulaman198:

What is so good about Fedora? To me, Linux is Linux!
Abi....its just a different name with a few customization but under the hood its kinda all the same thing. If its not Debian based its Ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by rayralph(m): 12:58pm On May 03, 2016
was running metasploit smoothly on kali b4 I switch to Ubuntu recently

installed ruby, metasploit and gem bundlers.

anytime I run "ruby msfconsole.rb"

I get errors about my ruby gems.

any1s got same issues as this on Ubuntu

OR

has any1 successfully installed metasploit and Armitage on Ubuntu 14.04
Re: Ubuntu Linux by persius555(m): 5:22pm On May 08, 2016
rayralph:
was running metasploit smoothly on kali b4 I switch to Ubuntu recently

installed ruby, metasploit and gem bundlers.

anytime I run "ruby msfconsole.rb"

I get errors about my ruby gems.

any1s got same issues as this on Ubuntu

OR

has any1 successfully installed metasploit and Armitage on Ubuntu 14.04
The ruby version you installed might be older than 2.1.5. Install newer edition and ensure you download your metasploit directly from rapid 7 github repositry.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by samsolite(m): 11:55pm On May 10, 2016
Hello Ubuntu, please is there anyone in IB that can possibly help me with 16.04LTS installation file.

The file I downloaded isn't installing, its MD5Sum doesn't match that of the 16.04 64bit in the UbuntuHashes site.

That's ~1.5GB down the drain, lol....

If you're in IB and can be of help, I can meet up to create the bootable disk on my flashdrive.
Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by samsolite(m): 9:20pm On May 21, 2016
FrankLampard:
What is wrong guys, I can't install Ubuntu along with Windows 8.1 on my HP 650.

I have disabled fast boot, yet still getting the pix below.

Pls help.

samsolite:

I'm having the same issues as you are. I want to dual boot my HP650 with Windows 8.1 already installed on one partition.

When I tried installing Linux Mint the installation process couldn't recognize the other disk space.
(See attached photos)

I've also tried using GParted, yet same thing.

Has anybody successfully dual booted HP650 please give me tips on how to go about this.

Solved! My problem all along has been that Fast Boot is enabled. Now I have Ubuntu 16.04 running alongside Windows 8.1 on my HP650. Thanks to Blackweaver, especially for trying to help.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by raynold(m): 2:23pm On Jun 12, 2016
any fedora user in here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 2:36am On Jun 13, 2016
raynold:
any fedora user in here.
YUp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dabigjoe6(m): 8:49am On Jun 13, 2016
Jregz:
in performance is fedora better
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dabigjoe6(m): 8:50am On Jun 13, 2016
Jregz:
in performance is fedora better and what else do you like about it that is not in ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:21am On Jun 14, 2016
dabigjoe6:
in performance is fedora better and what else do you like about it that is not in ubuntu

sure but a caveat -- battery drains faster than ubuntu on my laptop though.. It's package manager, DNF is a beast - "data chopper".

Things i like -
1.)It actually is more stable than Ubuntu.
2.) Has a Desktop environment quite better than Unity..Fedora uses Gnome.
3.) Truly Opensource notbacked by a "for profit" company -- Ubuntu has this thing that auto sends "dash" inputs to some service, was removed in 16 though.
4.)Fedora ships newer softwares faster , for example my linux kernel is currently at 4.5.6-200.fc23.x86_64, don't know a ubuntu guy that has that.
5.) Ubuntu just makes everything easy and you end up a linux sissy ..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 4:35pm On Jun 14, 2016
Jregz:
You can do that . you shold try out Debian smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by raynold(m): 1:14am On Jun 15, 2016
Jregz:

YUp
i've been playing around with kali on vmware, and i've finally decided to go for fedora using a usb live image, since am not able to partition my hard disk due to it having five partitions(no install os, just system stuvs, dont konw why o). just want to know your about your experience with it so far.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:29am On Jun 21, 2016
Torrent downloads just got easier using offcloud
One of the main benefits to users is that they can add torrents from work, school or on the road. After the torrent is downloaded to Offcloud’s server the files can be downloaded to a local computer or synced to Google Drive, Dropbox or an FTP server.

Once the files are synced people can access or play the files directly from the cloud, since Dropbox and Google Drive support online streaming for various media formats.
https://offcloud.com/?=1034c8de

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:51pm On Jun 21, 2016
raynold:
i've been playing around with kali on vmware, and i've finally decided to go for fedora using a usb live image, since am not able to partition my hard disk due to it having five partitions(no install os, just system stuvs, dont konw why o). just want to know your about your experience with it so far.

I feel your pain, recently bought a laptop, first thing i did was remove the os,i don't do secure boot and stuff. Have already put my multiple oses on it. My only mistake was not making a clone of my windows install, now my win is refusing to activate. But i have my Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora and Slackware running
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Beejayw(m): 11:40pm On Jun 26, 2016
good evening bosses,please I need ur help,I have been downloading some Linux distribution for sometime now and each time I try to install them I run into one issue or the other,the last Ubuntu I downloaded that is the 15.04 version gave me one apt blah blah at the point of installation meaning I can only run it directly from a usb stick and can't install permanently,I have also tried the mint series too,that one no even gree at all,the little I actually need now is a link to the correct and working Ubuntu version preferably the latest version which I can easily install using flash drive,thanks house in advance,I will be expecting the link
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Beejayw(m): 11:48pm On Jun 26, 2016
blackweaver:

I feel your pain, recently bought a laptop, first thing i did was remove the os,i don't do secure boot and stuff. Have already put my multiple oses on it. My only mistake was not making a clone of my windows install, now my win is refusing to activate. But i have my Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora and Slackware running
please can u help with links to both the mint and Ubuntu
Thanks in anticipation
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:08am On Jun 27, 2016
Beejayw:

please can u help with links to both the mint and Ubuntu
Thanks in anticipation

youncan get mint from linuxmint.com
and ubuntu from ubuntu.com
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Beejayw(m): 8:43am On Jun 27, 2016
blackweaver:

youncan get mint from linuxmint.com
and ubuntu from ubuntu.com
boss I downloaded the two I have from their sites,I just need links to the correct ones sir,my processor is 64bit based
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:22pm On Jun 27, 2016
Beejayw:

boss I downloaded the two I have from their sites,I just need links to the correct ones sir,my processor is 64bit based

well when i went to the linuxmint site anc clicked on the download tab, i could see the option for 32bit and 64 bit. Maybe i'm not getting what exactly you want.
Same thing for the ubuntu website, once you select desktop download
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 7:39am On Jun 29, 2016
Guys, I am having an error I cannot seem to wrap around.

I got some notification for updates; I did, but it fails with the message below:
unable to create `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-91/arch/x86/include/asm/irq_regs.h.dpkg-new' (while processing `./usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-91/arch/x86/include/asm/irq_regs.h'): No space left on device
No apport report written because the error message indicates a disk full error

Quick look says "disk full", i run df- h and i still have space on my drives:

maleeq@AlienHut-17:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 7.8G 4.0K 7.8G 1% /dev
tmpfs 1.6G 1.3M 1.6G 1% /run
/dev/sdb3 16G 14G 1.5G 91% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 7.8G 403M 7.4G 6% /run/shm
none 100M 80K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/sdb1 283M 123M 141M 47% /boot
/dev/sda1 592G 499G 63G 89% /media/maleeq/DataDrive
/dev/sda2 98G 84G 15G 86% /media/maleeq/SharedDrive
/dev/sdb2 127G 115G 13G 91% /media/maleeq/WinDrive
/dev/sdb6 795G 465G 290G 62% /home
/dev/mmcblk0 1.9G 1.9G 1.8M 100% /media/maleeq/0000-B8102

Dunno what else to do! I am on Ubuntu 14.04
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:53pm On Jun 29, 2016
Maleeq:
Guys, I am having an error I cannot seem to wrap around.

I got some notification for updates; I did, but it fails with the message below:

Quick look says "disk full", i run df- h and i still have space on my drives:

Dunno what else to do! I am on Ubuntu 14.04

I know this is probably stupid, but try removing that memory card first. Who knows if it's trying to write something there.
If that doesn't work, try booting into recovery mode and do a disk checkup, there might be some corruption on the filesystem
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 7:42am On Jun 30, 2016
blackweaver:

I know this is probably stupid, but try removing that memory card first. Who knows if it's trying to write something there.
If that doesn't work, try booting into recovery mode and do a disk checkup, there might be some corruption on the filesystem

I just tried that....but still the same result! Make una epp mi o!!! cry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:15am On Jun 30, 2016
Maleeq:

I just tried that....but still the same result! Make una epp mi o!!! cry

Maybe you should try freeing some space in your /tmp folder i'm just fishing, i don't really know what the problem is either. By the way can you actually save a file outside your home folder (using root permission of course)?
Or you could try to su to root and run the update from the terminal
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2016
blackweaver:

Maybe you should try freeing some space in your /tmp folder i'm just fishing, i don't really know what the problem is either. By the way can you actually save a file outside your home folder (using root permission of course)?
Or you could try to su to root and run the update from the terminal
Tried it....same results. All the solutions I googled up just ain't working for me!

I'd wipe my PC and install XP o! Make una epp mi o!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 5:13pm On Jun 30, 2016
OK. I think i got it! Apparently, the space left on my /boot partition isn't enough to install the new kernel. I had a bunch of old and unused kernels still installed. The fix was to remove them:

1. run uname -r to get the current linux kernel in use.

2. run dpkg -l | grep ^ii | grep linux-image | awk {'print $2'} | grep -v extra to get a listing of all kernels installed.

3. For each kernel in #2 that is not the current Kernel listed in #1, run dpkg --purge linux-image-x.xx.x-xx-generic
the x represents the kernel details.

4. run sudo apt-get install -f and you should be fine.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:50am On Jul 01, 2016
Maleeq:
OK. I think i got it! Apparently, the space left on my /boot partition isn't enough to install the new kernel. I had a bunch of old and unused kernels still installed. The fix was to remove them:
1. run uname -r to get the current linux kernel in use.
2. run dpkg -l | grep ^ii | grep linux-image | awk {'print $2'} | grep -v extra to get a listing of all kernels installed.
3. For each kernel in #2 that is not the current Kernel listed in #1, run dpkg --purge linux-image-x.xx.x-xx-generic
the x represents the kernel details.
4. run sudo apt-get install -f and you should be fine.

Har har, didn't see that one coming, and i also felt 141mb should be enough free space for whatever kernel you might have wanted to install

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.