Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,606 members, 7,847,535 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 08:10 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (85) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (467436 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:12am On Mar 02, 2011
@ lynx, so u still dey for NL? how naw.

come u running Alpha 11.04? haa home of the brave!! grin grin grin grin my oga i wan be like u o!!

@ goodmuyis, i almost thot u was me good pal muyisco, anyways welcome to the thread, tho u may actually be the youngest ubuntu user here thereabouts grin grin grin

@ lynx, thou shalt not try any full distro on that dinosaur o, i dont want to hear about a fire incident o (very likely grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin)

anyways, so gist me about 11.04, whats it been like? there was a slew of updates yesterday for it too so u may wanna update and see.

have u heard the new move from gnome 3 crew? they removed the minimise and maximise buttons shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

anyways they have since restricted their test audience to gurus, since u have to compile the damn thing to use it, and that thing is pretty much hit and miss for now
but frankly, i think its not a good move, most folks grew up conditioned to those buttons, as of now most people dont even use the multiple desktops mush less the workspaces idea.

the next month is gonna be interesting for we siddon look folks grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:00am On Mar 02, 2011
@4ller
no mind me oh!. . . .na siddon look me to dey do now. . . lol grin
ubuntu just seem to be goin up n down
i just hv d alpha 11.04 cd . . . .dnt hv time to fiddle wit it jare
Ehen. . . how come u r running netbook version on ur pc?, . . .or r u just trying it out?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 4:34pm On Mar 02, 2011
lynxnoon:

@GooMuyis
tnx but am not new with mint. . . . . hv used it for quite awhile and will always recommend it to newbies wink
currently on 10.10 on a higher pc,. . . . .just wanted to try out light OSs on my old lappy
tnx all d same for your response

@4ller
dont mind dos guys jare
i upgraded tru cd and started getting errors and login problems, . . . most likely because i didnt keep most of d d old files wen it was upgrading
No wahala sha. . . .hv resolved it tho[b] my next ish is going tru pppconfig or doing usb_switchmode for dis zte ac2766 cdma modem i just got[/b] undecided cool wink
Problem solved. . . (and with network manager) wink
will put up scrnsht wen i reduce d size smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 5:26pm On Mar 02, 2011
wink

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Tnot(m): 7:24pm On Mar 02, 2011
please help!
i need ubuntu 10,10 version. If you have and want to help a brother in need,reply to tunday_babs"at"yahoo"com. I'll be 'xpectin u,plsssssssssssss!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:28am On Mar 03, 2011
@ lynx, u don turn don dada finally o.

hmmn, does that thing come automagically recognised? the modem i mean.

anyway, im not using the netbook desktop, thats unity 2D for low powered gpu. its available in a repo which is why i tried it. funny thing is after 2 days was getting used to that new bar.

its still buggy sha, so i returned to my normal desktop.
u know seeing ur desktop is kinda weird, i have not used a normal desktop layout with two bars like that since i installed 10.04!!!
my desktops are pimped, just one bar, global menu, docky below etc.

i fink the new look they pushing is a good idea with hindsight, am tired of the whole old look. the ish is to choose btw gnome and unity and from wat am seeing, without canonical's guidance, gnome is going to the dogs gradually, 3 yrs development and see where they are, unity is just 3 months development and they are close to a release

@Tnot, where do u reside?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Tnot(m): 8:51am On Mar 03, 2011
@4ller

I'm in SOKOTO. where do you reside
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:25am On Mar 03, 2011
@4ll3r
neva mind my desktop jare. . . . . u know its a new lappy n jst trying out d modem b4 i finally switch fully to linux on dis pc wink wink

d modem is 1st seen as a storage device but running lsusb shows its recognized and luckily usb-switchmode and pppconfig etc comes preinstalled in 10.10 so i just edited /etc/ppp/peers/provider with gksudo gedit /etc/ppp/peers/provider and inputed the phone no. : #777 and username : 08**********@starcomms.com
and then network manager did the rest wink smiley

hmmmmm seems its high time i tried this Unity thingy undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:52pm On Mar 03, 2011
@ Tnot, am in lagos. i was gonna tell u to come over to get a cd from me, but mahn sokoto? thats far.

cant u download it? no internet fast enuf there? i know a guy here on NL who stays in sokoto and does speed shots contests o grin grin

@ lynx, ok. thats nice

well dont get ur hopes up about unity. the real shizzle is in 11.04 alpha users. they get the real desktop as it progresses. its not available in a repo, at least that i know of. unless u want to add 11.04 repos to ur machine, whereupon u risk breakage

its different from the normal unity which is the one for netbooks

the unity 2D is a fork to ensure the desktop works on lightweight systems, its waay behind unity 3D in terms of features but accessible via repos
u can grab 2D to se, but dont be disappointed when its kinda not too fine, for now grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:21am On Mar 04, 2011
@4ll3r
nah. . . .i think i'l just chill jare and see the outcome wink smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by GoodMuyis(m): 6:36pm On Mar 05, 2011
Tnot:

@4ller

I'm in SOKOTO. where do you reside

Hi Tnot am reside in Kaduna, the problem is; i don't have Ubuntu 10.10 but i can send my one copy of LinuxMint I've download to any a Popular Motor Park, so you Just go and Pick it Up there, i i think that should be good Idea since it will not cost much. So if you agree with me then lets see how i will reach you with the CD.

And i Hope This Tread Member can Adopt this method too if it work out

Contact Me Here: http://facebook.com/goodmuyis

Regards
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 3:07am On Mar 07, 2011
4llerbuntu:

well dont get your hopes up about unity. the real shizzle is in 11.04 alpha users. they get the real desktop as it progresses. its not available in a repo, at least that i know of. unless u want to add 11.04 repos to your machine, whereupon u risk breakage

its different from the normal unity which is the one for netbooks

the unity 2D is a fork to ensure the desktop works on lightweight systems, its waay behind unity 3D in terms of features but accessible via repos
u can grab 2D to se, but dont be disappointed when its kinda not too fine, for now grin grin grin grin

11.04 is going to be a critical version of Ubuntu. If they mess up with this Unity thing, a lot of people are going to jump ship to Linux Mint. They've already lost most of their popularity in the Linux community because of all the recent controversy over Unity/Gnome shell, X/Weyland and that annoying thing with the close button.

My patience is already worn thin because of the poor hardware support even though I know its not their fault. I keep having to use windows because my HP 3-in-1 printer can't scan in Linux and the Canon I use at work doesn't work at all. I'm tired of dual booting.

Ubuntu was supposed to make Linux relevant enough to force the hardware companies to support it. It looks like the dream is fading.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:03pm On Mar 07, 2011
Evil Brain:

11.04 is going to be a critical version of Ubuntu. If they mess up with this Unity thing, a lot of people are going to jump ship to Linux Mint. They've already lost most of their popularity in the Linux community because of all the recent controversy over Unity/Gnome shell, X/Weyland and that annoying thing with the close button.

My patience is already worn thin because of the poor hardware support even though I know its not their fault. I keep having to use windows because my HP 3-in-1 printer can't scan in Linux and the Canon I use at work doesn't work at all. I'm tired of dual booting.

Ubuntu was supposed to make Linux relevant enough to force the hardware companies to support it. It looks like the dream is fading.
abi oh angry angry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:18pm On Mar 07, 2011
well as for the hardware thingy, well ubuntu is actually better than most distros. the ones with excellent hardware support are distros like archlinux and they are not ootb. they require a skill level of true geekery. u even have to build ur desktop.

its not really on the most, linux distros fault. most of the hardware coys have agreements with ms, wont work on linux drivers and also wont release detailed info to linuxers to use to build better drivers. hell even graphics drivers sef. the ones available are years old now.

i feel ur pain sha. why not think about learning how to reverse windows drivers to work on ur box, ndiswrapper etc? u probably will do much better with that. like ur canon printer for example, i dont think canon even officially recognises linux sef.

for the unity debate, why is nobody pointing out that 11.04 is going to ship with both the default gnome desktop and unity, and u can switch on the log in page? and please unity is a very lame excuse to switch distros, u can run ANY DESKTOP whatsoever in ubuntu, its just three clicks away!! all this mint talk sef, they should move away from ubuntu as a base totally and go debian rolling or do their own distro from scratch. mumu. they are also shipping gnome 3 without the shell so how is that such a big deal?

besides, ubuntu is a six month incremental release geared towards the LTS, unity is a few months in development, gnome 3 is three years and counting, its still crap. its like whining about the button placements or gnome 3 removing minimise and maximise buttons alltogether, when i can restore it in 30 secs or even put it anywhere i like.

abeg jo.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 2:26pm On Mar 07, 2011
lets just chill n see wat 11.04 has to offer wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DoubleN(m): 9:45pm On Mar 10, 2011
So this our thread is still alive?? This should be the last surviving sensible thread left in the computer section. These neophytes have completely defaced the section.More grease to una elbows.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:09pm On Mar 10, 2011
my guy beta join linux-ubuntu family wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:57pm On Mar 12, 2011
the thread is still alive. everyone just ran away sha.

well right now what we can discuss is the new desktop enviroments.

@ moonraker, if and when u come here, about our discussion in phone section, u see the complaint about user friendliness is the exact point about ubuntu.
i stand to be corrected, but there isnt a more noob-friendly distro around. all those remixes still base on ubuntu, linux mint inclusive.

having thot about all this for long, i kinda begin to see sense with canonical and the move to unity. unity was a hit on the netbook level, quite simple and easy to use. gnome 3 has been in development for years, they still have refused to ge everyday folks to use it, and they expect a well meaning distro to launch it without testing? i mean a few weeks to 11.04 u still cannot get gnome 3 in a repo!!! that is plain wrong.

a lot of the geeks are complaining about ubuntu but then, the focus is getting out to more noob users, if the geeks dont ge that, too bad. i have complained in the past too about how the fun was going out of using ubuntu because everything works ootb, but then if i was to market it to someone, that very attribute should be paramount.

right now im testing desktops, i have even installed KDE, i must confess, its better now. i used to hate it,now it seems to work better. thats wat i like about all this, i have choices.

unity has been in transition to the desktop pc for a few months now, i daresay they are doing so much better than gnome3. i am actually looking forward to gnome 3 to use it too, i hope i do not get disappointed.

fingers crossed we shall see, but one thing is clear, other than bundling the multimedia codecs and a lot of greens, i fail to see what mint is about, with all the shouting going on. there are countless decent remixes to eg pinguyOS

anyway, who has been testing, what are your views
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Johnpaul2k2(m): 7:55am On Mar 14, 2011
Please dont say lm wicked for given you
18g/54g!! Every month!!!!
for proper downloading of heavy files
listening to Live! event on Cnn,bbc
playing Music on youtube
opening of secured site like liberty reserve.facebook,yahoo,gmail,forex
browsing like me 24/7 without watching your Bundles
cos it's unlimited!!!!!!
add me on facebook with
Gej mgbenka ifeanyi
Re: Ubuntu Linux by nazzyon(m): 7:57am On Mar 14, 2011
Just bn busy I no run oooo.

@4llerbuntu:

Need advise on this, Aside from Ubuntu Netbook Edition, Which other Linux Distro do you think I can install on Archos 9 Tablet?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:15pm On Mar 14, 2011
@ nazzyon, truth be told, i do not know.

there does not seem to be anybody working on a full touch only input architecture for linux as far as i know.

guess that would mean that the usual suspects would be in line.

else id say jolicloud OS, but that is totally cloud computing, and practically useless for me as a person

and there isnt Ubuntu netbook remix anymore, all there is now is Ubuntu (running unity) and as far as i know they have really ramped up the work on it, and from what i have been seeing, its probably your best shot.

chill a while, it comes out next month, or try the RC, its coming along nicely now.

id do some searching and see what i can come up with
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:11pm On Mar 21, 2011
@ nazzyon, do u know i totally forgot about this post

sorry man, but if i remember correctly there is a project i found trying to do touch support for ubuntu. they even released a new version about the time you asked. i think i saw it on webupd8. u can map gestures etc with it.

i actually saw a few stuffs in that line but that seems to be the most recent and active. will try see if i can dig up the links. u may try also

@ thread thought id share this:

i saw this online, tried it and it worked so i think y'all should too. it speeds up apt downloads. i even tried it to download other stuff in terminal and it worked, its multithreaded stuff for the terminal, its great way to speed up ur updates etc.

1. install axel downloader. thats a terminal based download speed up written in bash.

"sudo apt-get install axel"

2. download the attached script, remove the .jpg extension. i already changed the permissions to make it executable but u may check see, or id just add a line to do that anyways grin grin grin grin

put the script in /home folder

3 run the following commands:

sudo mv apt-fast.sh /usr/bin/apt-fast

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/apt-fast

4. thats all

now instead of using sudo apt-get. . . . . . . . , use sudo apt-fast . . . . . . . . . .

now for most folks i guess we usually do not realise that the terminal is probably the best download tool in ubuntu. matter of fact most download apps are simply front end to the terminal

take any download link, open up a terminal run " wget (link)

not with the brackets o, but i guess u know what i mean. it also resumes downloads in case u wondering too grin grin grin grin grin

u may use apt-fast, but note that u gonna have to hunt down ur downloaded app/program/whatever in the root folder tongue tongue tongue but its really fast

Re: Ubuntu Linux by v3: 7:26pm On Mar 21, 2011
Seen cool
Re: Ubuntu Linux by GoodMuyis(m): 10:04pm On Mar 22, 2011
HI nairaland ubuntu user

Pls were can get haweii modem driver for linux ?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:25am On Mar 23, 2011
GoodMuyis:

HI nairaland ubuntu user

Pls were can get haweii modem driver for linux ?
my guy, linux doesnt work like windows
most hauwei modems works out-of-the-box on recent linux/ubuntu versions and if it doesnt can be run by apps and commands from TERMINAL

1st of all run 'lsusb' to know d status of the modem
. . . .and try and go tru previous pages of this thread
Cheers wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:29pm On Apr 28, 2011
11.04 drops todaay pple.

ubuntu offciallyy acquires a distinct identity separate from all other os in the world.

its time 2 reactivate our thread. is unity cool or what!!!!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:05pm On Apr 28, 2011
4llerbuntu:

11.04 drops todaay pple.

ubuntu offciallyy acquires a distinct identity separate from all other os in the world.

its time 2 reactivate our thread. is unity cool or what!!!!!!
already queued up! wink smiley
hmmm . . . . unity kinda cool but may become tiring n netboot -like undecided . . . . well tnk God for freedom of chaning to gnome or even kde sef grin grin
hmmm cant wait for dis torrent to complete oh!!

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:16pm On Apr 28, 2011
@4ller
ehen btw wat happened to Gnome 3? undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 7:34pm On Apr 28, 2011
^^ Abeg someone should upgrade and tell me if it's rubbish or not. I just got 10.10 working just the way I like. If the new one starts misbehaving I'm going to be pissed.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:28pm On Apr 28, 2011
@ evil brain, hmmn i think i really should strongly recommend u stay away o grin grin grin grin

u really dont sound like u can take any aggravation, by the way NOTE that april releases are usually guinea pig releases, be warned tongue tongue

@ lynx, gnome3 is there o, its default in the next fedora and opensuse releases.
its actually even more confusing than unity to use grin grin grin

good luck to them o, it breaks unity for now, so im staying away till next release when ubuntu will have fully migrated to gnome 3 as a base, they still using gnome 2.x for now.

if u want to use it, u use it strictly and remove unity. at your own risk ooo grin grin grin grin

thing is either environments are immature, by october we will have a better idea of whats up
my download is at 54 percent now.

@ lynx so transmission works for u? how do u mask ip for starcomms wahala?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:24pm On Apr 28, 2011
Hi people, i didn't know this thread was still up, so you guys have been gisting me and you just kept me out of the loop
4llerbe mask ip? what are you trying to download?
for me o as long as i'm not downloading anything illegal i can use transmission and i never mask (for that matter i've used it to download some not so legal stuff before)
@ lynx for the unity interface, well i've been using the ubuntu netbook edition since 10.10 and there's the option to use either the netbook mode or the desktop mode so you shouldn't have to install anything
as for gnome3 i'll wait till some distro i'm interested in comes out with it before trying it out, i have fedora14 and it's still using gnome2.x i also have opensuse11.4 but it's the kde version
anybody else here use slackware? i'm beginning to think the the idea of bringing out a new release on the same day with ubuntu was deliberate, but i'm not sure it's going to make a difference, their servers are still going to be bogged down; they say we should download via torrent

i bought a 500gb hard disk some weeks ago and was planning to switch hard disks but have been waiting for the release of my 2 favorite distros, have already installed fedora14 and opensuse 11.4, also downloaded solaris express 11 but i'm not sure iwant to do a usb install like i did for the other 2; will also install debian freebsd later
anyway that's my update for now
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:33pm On Apr 28, 2011
@lynx, just wondering, why download the alternate cd? from what i read @ ubuntu and i quote:

The alternate install CD allows you to perform certain specialist installations of Ubuntu. It provides for the following situations:

setting up automated deployments;
upgrading from older installations without network access;
LVM and/or RAID partitioning;
installs on systems with less than about 256MB of RAM (although note that low-memory systems may not be able to run a full desktop environment reasonably).

so if what you see when booting is not what you expect, this might be why

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.