Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,833 members, 7,831,703 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (465498 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 1:55am On May 17, 2011
Unity looks cute but there's too much missing missing functionality for now. For instance, the search feature doesn't index files, there's no easy way to stop it from bringing out all my pr0n and embarrassing me, the app lens is completely useless and you can't move the sidebar. It looks like it won't really be fully cooked until the next LTS release.

I would have moved back to classic gnome but that doesn't have any decent search features. Gnome Do isn't really good enough and the last time I used Tracker (7.10 Gutsy) it was a useless piece of crap. Has anyone used Google desktop recently? Windows Vista has made me lazy. I want to start typing and have the file or app I'm looking for appear magically.

Still managing Unity for now but I'm thinking of trying Kubuntu again. I've been hearing good things about KDE 4.6 but I'm not moving unless the search function works at least as well as in Vista. My last experience with KDE didn't go well. It's like they were actually trying to make it as difficult and confusing to use as possible. I still don't understand wtf that cowrie/worm thing in the upper right corner was for.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:44am On May 17, 2011
@ Evil Brain, nor find trouble o, that KDE thing ehn, pple go bite u o grin grin grin grin grin grin

i installed tracker now, and after managing to figure out how to add folders and make the thing index the pc properly, (like 1 hr), it works fine now.

if only someone could link it to the search lens, but at least now it works for me sha. but u have to open it, not that there is a ready search bar.

Unity is having serious opposition o, ironically by the geeks who should be the ones enjoying the challenge afterall they always used to complain ubuntu was getting too point and click simple (they allegedly moving to Arch) but i think unity will come good
Re: Ubuntu Linux by v3: 12:13pm On May 17, 2011
4llerbuntu:

nah, dts KDE (kubuntu)

and its a whole learning curve on its own, before u get ideas, bigbrovar is a power user and has been using it for years, if u join him, u on your own

what commands? what u can do is create a wallpaper with cmds in it and use as a background.

cmds plenty guy, and depends on what is happening at any point.

dont u have user manuals and wileys linux bible? they in your fav download sites, no be just game u go dey download all the time tongue tongue tongue
You realize i sell most of those stuffs you know? wink
As for the KDE thing. .make i learn the basics first since brovar na UberPower User sad
I'll look for the wiley books and post any errors i encounter as i progress. .
Now let me see. . sudo aptget. . . . . i'm getting the hang of it gradually, i hope to be like you lot when i grow up smiley

Brovar, shouldn't your blog focus on a distro from time to time. .like Mint, Puppy et al. .#JustSaying.

PS: If you're on twitter, you can follow me @v3nom4eva cuz my server sorta restricts access to NL most times. Cheers. cool
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:41pm On May 17, 2011
i hope non of you ubuntu users is actually thnking of downloading kubuntu (unless you are low on disk space); just download kde using synaptic and you can try it out to see if it's as difficult as you've heard

@v3 there's no learning curve, 4llerbe was just joking

anyway i came across this article and i thought you guys might find it interesting, it talks about the expected changes in the next version of ubuntu
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/expected-changes-in-ubuntu-1110-oneiric.html

@brain, like i said, just install kde instead of downloading the whole kubuntu os
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:07pm On May 18, 2011
blackweaver:

i hope non of you ubuntu users is actually thnking of downloading kubuntu (unless you are low on disk space); just download kde using synaptic and you can try it out to see if it's as difficult as you've heard

@v3 there's no learning curve, 4llerbe was just joking

anyway i came across this article and i thought you guys might find it interesting, it talks about the expected changes in the next version of ubuntu
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/expected-changes-in-ubuntu-1110-oneiric.html

@brain, like i said, just install kde instead of downloading the whole kubuntu os
seems my synaptic isnt accepting d kde undecided

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:40pm On May 18, 2011
naaah, weaver i beg to differ.

its better to download the iso and create a new partition.

downloading KDE libraries gives u a whole lot of duplicated utility apps, mixed elements, unneccesary space usage, and even worse ur updates become a chore as whenever it updates u get updates for both the gnome apps and KDE apps

its really not ideal for a person who is not too versed in using these things.

and to make matters worse, if u decide to remove one desktop, its a bother o. u have to hunt down a script to do it, and usually u end up with a broken system. (etc he display manager choice)

they are small irritances for an experienced user maybe, but if u dont like hassle, do not install KDE along gnome.

iv done it a couple of times, ended up frustrated and formatting.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by denzel2009: 5:15pm On May 18, 2011
I finally installed Ubuntu to learn and familiarize myself with this OS. So far, I'm enjoying it. If I need any info, I will disturb you guys.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:50pm On May 18, 2011
wilkkommen grin grin grin grin

and if u dont mind, where and how did u get VMware? not the player.

i seem to be looking for it, cos its only vmware prepared images i can get for macOS.

kinda curious abt it these day
Re: Ubuntu Linux by denzel2009: 10:21pm On May 18, 2011
4llerbuntu:

wilkkommen grin grin grin grin

and if u dont mind, where and how did u get VMware? not the player.

i seem to be looking for it, cos its only vmware prepared images i can get for macOS.

kinda curious abt it these day
I get my connections bro. I can send you a link if you want it sha.

I'm getting good vibes from ubuntu courtesy VMware. So, why is it prompting to update, I already have the 10.10?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 12:41am On May 19, 2011
@4ller and Blackweaver
I actually installed kde yesterday night from the software centre. I still don't like it so its back to unity for now.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:20am On May 19, 2011
@brain
Exactly my point, if you didn't use the package manager, you would have to either create a new partition
and install there or reinstall your whole os; if/when you want to revert back, at the least you'd have to restart your computer; at the worst you'd have to format and reinstall; this way all you have to do is logout and swith desktops

@4llerbe, kde uses kde&qt libraries; you wouldn't have any duplication and you can always decide which libraries, apps you want to upgrade anyway AND you'll use more disk space; and besides more apps means more choices; for instance even in ubuntu i aslways use vlc and it uses qt libraries
anyway whatever works for you
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:25am On May 19, 2011
blackweaver:

@brain
Exactly my point, if you didn't use the package manager, you would have to either create a new partition
and install there or reinstall your whole os; if/when you want to revert back, at the least you'd have to restart your computer; at the worst you'd have to format and reinstall; this way all you have to do is logout and swith desktops

@4llerbe, kde uses kde&qt libraries; you wouldn't have any duplication and you can always decide which libraries, apps you want to upgrade anyway AND you'll use more disk space; and besides more apps means more choices; for instance even in ubuntu i aslways use vlc and it uses qt libraries
anyway whatever works for you
but how come wen i try to install kde tru synaptic it requires removing some apps n files wich wud be needed for unity?
or am i missing something here? undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:57am On May 19, 2011
@lynx sorry i haven't actually tried installing kde on ubuntu -at least not in this version; i did in the previous version (10.10 netbook edition) when i was trying to install k3b
@brain do you think you can help lynx out?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:07am On May 19, 2011
@blackweaver
tnx
dnt knw if its me or dis 11.04. . . .i also cudnt restore my previous apps on 10.10 using aptoncd but dis was possible wen i upgraded frm 10.04 to 10.10 undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:28pm On May 19, 2011
@4llerbe i noticed your last post was blocked, but what's this thing about having to dial up from command line? just use network manager for gnome and kppp for kde (though i prefer using wvdial myself). Like i said, whatever works for you; me i'm used to usin numerous window managers (not just kde and gnome) so it's not a hassle at all and sometimes you might find that some particular program does some job for you better than the one native to the window manager in use; but like i said, whatever works for you
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:21am On May 20, 2011
i meant that when u try to switch display managers and your DE does not come up again after uninstalling KDE (if u want to after installing it alongside Gnome)

i find that usually, attempts to uninstall KDE usually makes you lose a few packages that will affect gnome and u have to download them back. therefore u need internet and when u cannot even get your desktop up, u are stuck in prompt.

u then need internet via Ethernet or wireless thats on always on. except of course you can use wvdial entirely from terminal for your dial up.

anyway, for unity, quite a few tools are beginning to show up to help functionality, and tweaking.

one of them is an app called confity.

check it out here
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/confity-lets-you-configure-unity-easily/

and do the needful if u feel like it. remember, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN grin grin grin grin i deny any liability for whatever it is u do to ur pc.

but really its safe, for me sha o
Re: Ubuntu Linux by v3: 10:36am On May 20, 2011
Hmmmm
Re: Ubuntu Linux by MegaMEX(m): 7:44am On May 21, 2011
now i know a lot about UBUNTU!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 5:24pm On May 21, 2011
MegaMEX:

now i know a lot about UBUNTU!
so tell us a few na wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:27am On May 22, 2011
my advice is, if you want to try out kde by installing in another partition, you migh as well try out another distribution, maybe fedora, pclinuxos or mandriva or opensuse - which by the way are rpm -based distributions (which means that the method of installing packages is different); some people here might be becoming expert ubuntu users without knowing much about other distributions; or you can try kde mint, chakra or mepis (mint and mepis are deb based oses). chakra's based on arch linux; unless you know what you're doing stay away from arch and slackware; arch installation cd just takes up to a point where you can boot into command line; you want gui you have to install over the internet. the good thing about it though is that it's a rolling release which means you don't have to download a recent iso to get the latest version. Slackware too doesn't have a live install; infact if you want to have gui you must download cd2 iso; cd3 will give you kde on the other hand if you realy want to know how slackware feels using a live install you can try out zenwalk or vector linux. 4llerbe has tried out slax so he knows how un-user-friendly it is
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:02am On May 22, 2011
lol. weaver this is real distro-ashawoism. lol. thing is i dont think a lot of em are noob friendly. wateva happened 2 mepis anyway? last time i tried it, wasnt bad at all.

anyway KDE guys speak well of kubuntu these days. and its more stock KDE. miss having time to try out distros, and i gave out my guinea pig laptop sef
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:27am On May 22, 2011
ashawoism abi? u never see anytin o; i sure say even shuttleworth no dey use only ubuntu, e fit get debian and fedora as you dey look am; any way me sha no be only linux i dey use o, i get netbsd for my netbook too; thinking of installing either freebsd or dragonfly; tried installing solaris twice but after seeing my 17 - partition hard disk reduced to 9 partitions both times and having to use testdisk to recover them back, i've decided to stick to bsds
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:33am On May 22, 2011
personally am hunting for snow leopard .iso to build me a hackintosh and see wat all d talk is about. just havent figured out how to manage a 7.2gb iso. how does a coy make an os that large, its ridiculous. dont have dvds or usb sticks that large.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:47am On May 22, 2011
does it work on x86?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:57am On May 22, 2011
not sure it's something i can install without messing up what i currently have
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:36am On May 22, 2011
yeah it works, with a few tinkers. its wat d hackintosh movement is about
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:08pm On May 22, 2011
but are you sure it won't mess up my partition table like solaris did?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:42pm On May 23, 2011
truth be told, i dont know.

what i do know is iv seen numerous tuts on a win/mac dualboot hackintosh.

also i know that the partition/drive has to be formatted into GUID table structure. (thank God for gparted). else u would need to use a mac install to format the partition/drive first, before u can install it, seeing that it does not do live cd

anyways, bottomline, i dont think so, but till i try it, i cant be categorical.

anyway, do u have any ideas on how to manage a 7.4. gb .iso? are there dvds commercially available big enuf for that? i dont have a usb large enuf. and frankly, a 7 gb iso is a pain t download via torrents.

inshort, who can help me with a snow leopard iso in lagos?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:46pm On May 23, 2011
guys!!
am getting really pissed wit this 11.04 oh!!. . . .imagin, i use to connect wit WIFI/WLAN easily on 10.10 but since i started using 11.04 hv not been able to connect successfully.
yesterday i tried connecting to a win 7 pc but could not; it sees d win7 wifi netwk but doesnt connect and wen i create 1 on 11.04, oda devices cant see the network. i den switch ova to win7 on both pcs and i was able to connect both systems via wifi and even shared internet connection!!
Pls has any1 been able to use wifi successfully or is it a general issue?
hmmm . . . . cos of dis i may jst revert back to 10.10 oh undecided sad

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.