Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (91) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464083 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:49pm On Jul 04, 2011
NOW I HAVE HEARD EVERYTHING.

there is somebody who sits in front of a computer who actually believes windows aero, (a feature that was shamelessly copied from KDE glass effect) makes a better GUI.

really cannot join issues with you tho. when it comes to tech discussions on OS/PC issues, your horizons are pretty limited.
and for your info, on UNIX boards its not common practice to engage in insult matches. your insults was totally unwarranted, even if you dont know what FUD means. you wont make friends here with that attitude.

and stop posting google searches here. ever heard of plagiarism?

E.O.D

beebee2000:

hey 4llerbuntu please, am having a problem installing Ubuntu on my external drive pls any assistance,

hmmn, ok. u may try this. if it does not work. i will teach you anor way to do it, which will be a bit more geeky.

YOUR PC BIOS MUST BE CAPABLE OF BOOTING FROM USB.

YOU MUST CHANGE THE BOOT ORDER TO BOOT USB FIRST.

download the ubuntu .iso file. make sure its not a corrupt one.

download a software called unetbootin. make sure its the latest version. its on sourceforge. just google.

start unetbootin as administrator, select the ubuntu iso. choose the appropriate ubuntu version (make sure)

choose the external drive in the menu part. MAKE SURE U CHOOSE THE PROPER DRIVE.

check the letter windows assigns to it when u plug it in.

then i recommend formating the entire drive. you may also partition tho, but then you have to deal with the MBR issues

install the iso with unetbootin, install the bootloader ON THE EXTERNAL DRIVE TOO.

when its through, just reboot the pc, it should boot the drive.

there is no practical difference in this and setting up a thumb drive.

hope u can deal with this? or are you very new to all this gig? cos in that case, every step may require detailed explanation
Re: Ubuntu Linux by v3: 4:52pm On Jul 04, 2011
4ller angry
Be nice to the guy na angry grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:13pm On Jul 04, 2011
@ v3, wetin i do?

i nor do nada o, abi wetin i write wey bad?

me sef meet pple on this board and i never took my time to insult them with my limited knowledge.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 04, 2011
@4llerbuntu, for real you are not as good as I thought with Linux. For your information, I never mentioned anything like Aero in my comments and that goes a long to prove that you only take a glimpse look at what attract your attection in other people's comment.

I am new to Ubuntu doesn't mean I don't know anything about Linux per se. Jeez! You don't have evidences, bro! And, I like your exscuses!

FUD means Fear, uncertainty and doubt, Mr. Techy! I don't think you really have much idea about KDE. And, I don't like to engage with a person who thinks he knows more than everybody else.

@ v3, why are you begging him to be nice to me? Jeez! I am a Naija person and very aggressive as well when it comes to that matter! Huh!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:43pm On Jul 04, 2011
rotflmfao. jeez
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:51pm On Jul 04, 2011
@all4naija,
pls we don't come here pointing fingers all around for the sake of argument
state a point and back it up with what you have done or noticed and then move on to rendering help/advice when/where needed;
OR pls just save it.
Cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by v3: 12:13pm On Jul 05, 2011
E be like say two of una don drink pammy wey spoil abi?

all4naija
Let it rest un hombre, if you feel you're better. .back it up otherwise, stop.

4ller
Don't let this thing drag on any longer than it should.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:19pm On Jul 05, 2011
what thing?

abeg jawe. u should know better now. wetin concern me concern aspirants to NL awards? cool cool

on to better things, what happening naw, everybody don become guru so tey nobody dey post for thread again?

even u v3, all the assignment wey we give u, u dey do am?

oya show me three screenshots now now grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Mobinga: 12:21pm On Jul 05, 2011
[img]http://2.bp..com/_TojmY7c3mnA/SEu3ERdzKqI/AAAAAAAAAGI/HfdkzCFXWB8/s400/self-servicer%27s+always+have+fun,%20png[/img]

There, I've killed the thread.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by v3: 12:23pm On Jul 05, 2011
Mobinga:

[img]http://2.bp..com/_TojmY7c3mnA/SEu3ERdzKqI/AAAAAAAAAGI/HfdkzCFXWB8/s400/self-servicer%27s+always+have+fun,%20png[/img]

There, I've killed the thread.
This boy na oloshi i swear!!! Jesus! grin grin grin grin

@4ller
Na windows 2k8 server i dey on now o. .the thing hook me for neck like tie. Will furnish u with details as it progresses
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:33pm On Jul 05, 2011
@ v3, stop feeding the trolls joor. why u dey open teeth.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Mobinga: 3:57pm On Jul 05, 2011
v3:

This boy na oloshi i swear!!! Jesus! grin grin grin grin
hahaha. cool cool
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jul 05, 2011
Okay,let's put misunderstanding aside!

Why is Linux video and webcam interface not effective in Yahoo or Live Messenger-like clients? I have tried Amsn, Emesene, I/aGyachi, none work effectively. I tried to even write a few script for the video interface but it seems it is constituting more problem than before.

Can anybody use webcam in instant messaging clients in Linux or rather Ubuntu effectively?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 07, 2011
4llerbuntu:

hmmn, ok. u may try this. if it does not work. i will teach you anor way to do it, which will be a bit more geeky.

YOUR PC BIOS MUST BE CAPABLE OF BOOTING FROM USB.

YOU MUST CHANGE THE BOOT ORDER TO BOOT USB FIRST.

download the ubuntu .iso file. make sure its not a corrupt one.

download a software called unetbootin. make sure its the latest version. its on sourceforge. just google.

start unetbootin as administrator, select the ubuntu iso. choose the appropriate ubuntu version (make sure)

choose the external drive in the menu part. MAKE SURE U CHOOSE THE PROPER DRIVE.

check the letter windows assigns to it when u plug it in.

then i recommend formating the entire drive. you may also partition tho, but then you have to deal with the MBR issues

install the iso with unetbootin, install the bootloader ON THE EXTERNAL DRIVE TOO.

when its through, just reboot the pc, it should boot the drive.

there is no practical difference in this and setting up a thumb drive.

hope u can deal with this? or are you very new to all this gig? cos in that case, every step may require detailed explanation

ok thks will give it a try and will get back to you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Azanor(m): 8:12pm On Jul 07, 2011
Can someone recommend an excellent twitter client for me in Ubuntu? I'm not really feeling this Gwibber, its a bit slow and I'm having authentication issues with it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 07, 2011
Empathy Facebook and qwit is good with Twitter !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by justwise(m): 8:38pm On Jul 07, 2011
Please guys i need ur help.

I'm new to Ubuntu, how do i uninstall Ubuntu? As i made a mistake and installed it twice.

I'm using netbook dual booting the Ubuntu with Win7.

Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 07, 2011
Use Live CD to delete the partition or remove the one you don't want. Even a Windows OS can as well do that but be conscious of the particular one you don't want.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Azanor(m): 8:43pm On Jul 07, 2011
Azanor:

Can someone recommend an excellent twitter client for me in Ubuntu? I'm not really feeling this Gwibber, its a bit slow and I'm having authentication issues with it.

Okay, I"ve gotten tweetdeck up and running.

Thanks for the help.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by justwise(m): 8:47pm On Jul 07, 2011
all4naija:

Use Live CD to delete the partition you don't want. Even a Windows OS can as well do that but be conscious of the particular one you don't want.
Thanks for ur quick reply.

The Ubuntu OS i used in installing it is in my USB, can i use the USB to uninstall the unwanted partition? If yes please how do i go about it.

Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 07, 2011
The application will also install adobe AIR in your system!

That TweetDeck is kinda pretty cool!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 07, 2011
Okay, I"ve gotten[b] tweetdeck[/b] up and running.

Thanks for the help.

One thing I don't like about it is that it can access your data and other information.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Azanor(m): 9:17am On Jul 08, 2011
all4naija:

One thing I don't like about it is that it can access your data and other information.

What other data and info? Is it not only ur twitter account details that it has access to?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:16pm On Jul 08, 2011
justwise:

Please guys i need your help.

I'm new to Ubuntu, how do i uninstall Ubuntu? As i made a mistake and installed it twice.

I'm using netbook dual booting the Ubuntu with Win7.

Thanks

honestly i dont understand what you mean, @ justwise

do you have more than 1 grub entry or u installed twice?

the install twice part is kinda what i dont understand, its a bit . . . . . . to have installed twice, the installer would have told you u have that exact ubuntu version on that hard drive.

plus im guessing you would have had to actively partition the drive a second time to get the 2nd install correctly installed.

so im struggling to understand the mistake part. . . .

or ARE WE TALKING WUBI INSTALL? as in did you install inside windows?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by justwise(m): 1:37pm On Jul 08, 2011
4llerbuntu:

honestly i dont understand what you mean, @ justwise
do you have more than 1 grub entry or u installed twice?
the install twice part is kinda what i dont understand, its a bit . . . . . . to have installed twice, the installer would have told you u have that exact ubuntu version on that hard drive.
plus im guessing you would have had to actively partition the drive a second time to get the 2nd install correctly installed.

so im struggling to understand the mistake part. . . .
or ARE WE TALKING WUBI INSTALL? as in did you install inside windows?

You guessed right, it sounds silly but its true, i installed the Ubuntu but lost the pwd, not knowing that i could actually recover the pwd recovery mode, i went on to install it again thereby creating a second partition, yes the the installer notified me but i thought that it will be over-written but sadly that wasn't the case.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:46pm On Jul 08, 2011
delicate issue.

cos u really have to be sure the other install is actually there. im thinking its not.

run "sudo fdisk -l" (thats small letter L)

note the output, it will list your partitions. now you have to determine which one is the one that you wanna format. because u may format the wrong one grin grin grin grin
anyway, adviseably, just back up ur stuff.

thats why i always advocate having a separate /home partition

anyway, just boot up the usb stick again. gparted is on it, look for gparted on it.

run gparted, locate the appropriate partition and format it .

restart and remove the stick, boot into ubuntu (the one on the drive) if its still there tongue tongue tongue tongue

then run "sudo update-grub"

chikena.

OR

better still, just install gparted from synaptic or terminal

run it and just format the partition u want removed, then update grub as per above.

BUT LEFT TO ME, ID JUST SAY UPDATE GRUB AND SEE HOW MANY ENTRIES IT GIVES YOU FIRST.
but u seem to know what you done so no yawa
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:52pm On Jul 08, 2011
@ lynxnoon, i think the issue with that wifi network is that its hidden by default.

dont ask me i dunno how that is.

and i think thats why other devices cannot see it, i cant even start it unless i choose the connect to hidden wireless option and then click the drop down.

and i cant remember those iwconfig sturvs again o.

so pls who knows how to unhide a wireless network? we created one on our wifi card but its not getting detected.

my ogas pls ooooo
@v3, that doesnt include u oooo grin grin grin grin grin grin unless u know the answer
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:18pm On Jul 08, 2011
think im gonna format this pc, its beginning to annoy me.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by justwise(m): 7:05pm On Jul 08, 2011
4llerbuntu:

delicate issue.

cos u really have to be sure the other install is actually there. im thinking its not.

run "sudo fdisk -l" (thats small letter L)

note the output, it will list your partitions. now you have to determine which one is the one that you wanna format. because u may format the wrong one grin grin grin grin
anyway, adviseably, just back up your stuff.

thats why i always advocate having a separate /home partition

anyway, just boot up the usb stick again. gparted is on it, look for gparted on it.

run gparted, locate the appropriate partition and format it .

restart and remove the stick, boot into ubuntu (the one on the drive) if its still there tongue tongue tongue tongue

then run "sudo update-grub"

chikena.

OR

better still, just install gparted from synaptic or terminal

run it and just format the partition u want removed, then update grub as per above.

BUT LEFT TO ME, ID JUST SAY UPDATE GRUB AND SEE HOW MANY ENTRIES IT GIVES YOU FIRST.
but u seem to know what you done so no yawa
Thanks alot for ur help, it worked. Still trying to get used to Ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 11, 2011
Just bought a netbook to ease off carry my heavy laptop downloading wubui and ubuntu 11,is it possible to compile a Qt App in Windows and it'll run in linux,just asking hoping to join this marvelous thread.@mobinga how far
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:17am On Jul 11, 2011
^^^ I don't think Ubuntu 11 is meant for Netbook. I think there is a netbook version of Ubuntu called "Ubuntu Netbook Edition" - you can use that for your netbook due to the graphic display of netbook can't be compatible with Ubuntu 11.04 natty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by justwise(m): 7:27am On Jul 11, 2011
pc guru:

Just bought a netbook to ease off carry my heavy laptop downloading wubui and ubuntu 11,is it possible to compile a Qt App in Windows and it'll run in linux,just asking hoping to join this marvelous thread.@mobinga how far

Ubuntu 10.04 is cool for netbook, i use it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.