Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? (4123 Views)

Quote Your Favourite Scriptural Verse Here / Explain This Mystery: A Dead Man Sent A Stranger To Deliver A Bag / Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 11:59pm On Jan 17, 2013
Ubenedictus: just a point or two, catholics do not bury or cremate non believers and in early xtian history d xtians forbade cremation becos it was used by does wu said "there was no resurrection of d dead". In recent times those law were turned, though burial is stil d preferable xtian practice, any xtian wu wishes to be cremated may do so inasmuch as he fully believes in d resurrection of d dead. At least from d perspective of a catholic.

Thank you for your contribution. It made sense. But i wonder why this man was buried by the church then? undecided
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 12:09am On Jan 18, 2013
truthislight:

the Jews attached too much importance to burial,

What about Moses body? deut 34:6- God selected a burial site at a secret location in Moab for Moses.

deut 34:6 He buried him in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is.

1 Kings 2:10: David
Matthew 14:10-12: John the Baptist
Acts 5:5-10: Ananias and Sapphira
Acts 8:2: Stephen
Joshua 24:29-30: Joshua
Joshua 24:33: Eleazar
1 Samuel 25:1: Samuel

They were all buried not burned!
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 12:25am On Jan 18, 2013
Lets take a look at some scriptural events, it seem that not be not given a proper burial was considered to be a great tragedy and dishonor.

A prophet disobeyed God by eating a meal in a forbiden location.
God laid a curse on him: that his body would not be buried in the tomb of his fathers.
Shortly after, the prophet was attacked by a lion and his remains left on a road.

1 Kings 13:22 You came back and ate bread and drank water in the place where he told you not to eat or drink. Therefore your body will not be buried in the tomb of your fathers.'

God laid a horrible curse on the Israelites: that many would die of diseases, will not be mourned and would be "like refuse lying on the ground".
Jeremiah 16:6
"Both high and low will die in this land. They will not be buried or mourned, and no one will cut himself or shave his head for them.

God laid a similar curse on Jehoiakim because of his pride and disobedience.
Jeremiah 22:19:He will have the burial of a donkey--dragged away and thrown outside the gates of Jerusalem."

It is clear that burying on the earth is God' traditional way, that is how His prophets were buried.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:25am On Jan 18, 2013
plappville:

Thank you for your contribution. It made sense. But i wonder why this man was buried by the church then? undecided
sorry i didnt get d question! Do u mean d atheist cremation was done in a catholic? Or is d question open?
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by truthislight: 11:07am On Jan 18, 2013
Zikkyy:

You better disposed off that your device, i think it's possessed (demonic spirit grin). Anyways i knew you meant cremated. needed a good laugh grin if you do prefer 'cemented', i have friends at Dangote cement. As your good friend, i go supply the required quantity of cement for free grin

lol, no be small laugh my friend.

Btw, i love your reply on that prosperity thread by frosbel.

However, i dont see anything wrong with burning a dead body since i dont see it being of any use to yahweh.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by truthislight: 11:18am On Jan 18, 2013
plappville:

Put to the ground is better, and idea... grin And I don't dream of doing cremation, i will follow the way Gods servants were buried.
I have not concluded it is wrong, i am just saying that, if Gods prophets were not burn and if we truely claim to follow thier method, then we should not indulge in Cremation, That's all. But everyone has a choice so i cannot condemn it. It was strange for me to withnessed such live.

Jesus did not give much emphasis on burial matters.

He said let "the dead bury their dead".

Lets not go superstitious about the dead and start attaching importance to dead bodies.

To me, it is a nuisance and should be disposed off in the most thrifty way possible.
Peace
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by truthislight: 11:27am On Jan 18, 2013
plappville:

Bro..its a thing of chioce to you, i am not to judge you.

Ah! Thank you my sis.

So if i wish i can have my west dead body burnt off as not to stress my children with plenty wahala of burial ceremony and occupying landed space, which will help them moved on with their life quickly.

Thank you ones more.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by truthislight: 11:30am On Jan 18, 2013
plappville:

What about Moses body? deut 34:6- God selected a burial site at a secret location in Moab for Moses.

deut 34:6 He buried him in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is.

1 Kings 2:10: David
Matthew 14:10-12: John the Baptist
Acts 5:5-10: Ananias and Sapphira
Acts 8:2: Stephen
Joshua 24:29-30: Joshua
Joshua 24:33: Eleazar
1 Samuel 25:1: Samuel

They were all buried not burned!

did i say people should not be buried in the ground? No.

I only said if you think it is wrong for me to chose othewise?
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by truthislight: 11:38am On Jan 18, 2013
plappville: Lets take a look at some scriptural events, it seem that not be not given a proper burial was considered to be a great tragedy and dishonor.

A prophet disobeyed God by eating a meal in a forbiden location.
God laid a curse on him: that his body would not be buried in the tomb of his fathers.
Shortly after, the prophet was attacked by a lion and his remains left on a road.

1 Kings 13:22 You came back and ate bread and drank water in the place where he told you not to eat or drink. Therefore your body will not be buried in the tomb of your fathers.'

God laid a horrible curse on the Israelites: that many would die of diseases, will not be mourned and would be "like refuse lying on the ground".
Jeremiah 16:6
"Both high and low will die in this land. They will not be buried or mourned, and no one will cut himself or shave his head for them.

God laid a similar curse on Jehoiakim because of his pride and disobedience.
Jeremiah 22:19:He will have the burial of a donkey--dragged away and thrown outside the gates of Jerusalem."

It is clear that burying on the earth is God' traditional way, that is how His prophets were buried.

Ma sis pp.

The means of cremation today is not an anyhow anyhow thing o!

It has a procedure.

plappville:

ya, i think the cremated ashes can be buried, but it will occupy a very tiny space, maybe 1foot space. what do you think?

They all will end up in ashes/dust anyway.

So?

cool
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:10pm On Jan 18, 2013
truthislight:

Ma sis pp.

The means of cremation today is not an anyhow anyhow thing o!

It has a procedure.

ya, i think the cremated ashes can be buried, but it will occupy a very tiny space, maybe 1foot space. what do you think?

They all will end up in ashes/dust anyway.

So?

cool
amen, it goes back to dust so what is d whole fuzz abt?
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Image123(m): 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2013
plap is teaching, this is good news. Well done oh, though this your class, this comment has been hidden.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 10:15pm On Jan 20, 2013
truthislight:

Jesus did not give much emphasis on burial matters.

He said let "the dead bury their dead".

Lets not go superstitious about the dead and start attaching importance to dead bodies.

To me, it is a nuisance and should be disposed off in the most thrifty way possible.
Peace

Jesus did not, but the Scripture does? you wanted me to high light the "let thedead bury the dead" which i died.
Which one be superstitious na? The verses i presented where the superstitious or what?
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 10:21pm On Jan 20, 2013
truthislight:

did i say people should not be buried in the ground? No.

I only said if you think it is wrong for me to chose othewise?

I did not think it is wrong or right, i just wanted to know the bible stands on this.
My family have no history of cremation and as a Christian, i felt the need to dig deeper to know the bible stands on this matter
That was why this thread was created. If i knew much about it, there would have be no need creating this thread.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 10:22pm On Jan 20, 2013
truthislight:

Ah! Thank you my sis.

So if i wish i can have my west dead body burnt off as not to stress my children with plenty wahala of burial ceremony and occupying landed space, which will help them moved on with their life quickly.

Thank you ones more.

Of course, we always do things the way it pleases us. I have no argument here
And you're welcome.... grin
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 10:28pm On Jan 20, 2013
Image123: plap is teaching, this is good news. Well done oh, though this your class, this comment has been hidden.

You don find me reach here abi? na teaching you call this one? And who tell you say na class we dey here? ...wetin happen to it?

[s]this image123 always have a word to say in my thread euh!!! ([/s] angry angry angry
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 10:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
Ubenedictus: sorry i didnt get d question! Do u mean d atheist cremation was done in a catholic? Or is d question open?

Yes!
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Image123(m): 1:10am On Jan 21, 2013
plappville:

You don find me reach here abi? na teaching you call this one? And who tell you say na class we dey here? ...wetin happen to it?

[s]this image123 always have a word to say in my thread euh!!! ([/s] angry angry angry
na wa oh. i was trying to be a good friend na. so the post no hide, i need more faith bi that oh.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by truthislight: 9:38am On Jan 21, 2013
Image123:
na wa oh. i was trying to be a good friend na. so the post no hide, i need more faith bi that oh.

@Image.

I hope you are not having a thing for this ma pp sis?

Abeg, she is not available, be advise. She has been spoken for.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 10:46am On Jan 21, 2013
Image123:

I kn you so well now, always checking for errors as usual...hahaha grin, i wonder if Christ will reject us by spelling errors... undecided
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 10:49am On Jan 21, 2013
truthislight:

@Image.

I hope you are not having a thing for this ma pp sis?

Abeg, she is not available, be advise. She has been spoken for.

I trust Image, no fit try such na, i kn wetin e dey find around me....mockery! but e dey always end up being mocked..... grin grin
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Image123(m): 5:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
plappville:

I kn you so well now, always checking for errors as usual...hahaha grin, i wonder if Christ will reject us by spelling errors... undecided
hhhhahahahahahhahhahahhahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha, very funny. i would tell you your error if i wanted to na. i find it amusing how that irks you. but i'm not in the trouble-finding mode.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 5:22pm On Jan 21, 2013
Image123:
hhhhahahahahahhahhahahhahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha, very funny. i would tell you your error if i wanted to na. i find it amusing how that irks you. but i'm not in the trouble-finding mode.

Euh!! keep getting it wrong...its not annoying me @ all..., just make NL fun sometimes with your kind... grin
I sabi say you be trouble finder here... grin grin
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by girlking(f): 7:54pm On Jan 21, 2013
Thread derailed... Watching from the sidelines
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 10:02pm On Jan 21, 2013
girl king: Thread derailed... Watching from the sidelines

How
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:37pm On Jan 22, 2013
plappville:

Yes!
if u are saying dat a catholic church cremated an atheist, then i'm suprised, becos d church doesnt! I also have questions 4 d church. Actually unless d atheist had a death bed repentance, i dont see how he can get a catholic burial/cremation. Ur case is either untrue, made up or u dont have d full information. Some things just dont have ways around dem.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Image123(m): 6:34pm On Jan 22, 2013
plappville:

How
how can you ask how? you don start again oh
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 22, 2013
HEHEHEHE.. burning of dead bodies..what about the Christians that were burnt for what they stood for in time past? plappville do you think they are in heaven or hell ?

2 Likes

Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 9:01pm On Jan 22, 2013
plappville: I withnessed a friend Husband burial, The man was an athiest, He was sick for many years before He finally gave up.
When He died, His family and wife took His body to the Cathedral for prayers before cremation.
The dead man gave the instruction that His body should be burned.

My surprise is, i didn't know the Church does accept praying for dead atheists, and even doing the cremation too. shocked shocked

Its my first time to see such in the church. So please, if you have anything to share on this, kindly do.
Thank you.

Bidam: HEHEHEHE.. burning of dead bodies..what about the Christians that were burnt for what they stood for in time past? plappville do you think they are in heaven or hell ?

Did i create this thread to know if burn or buried bodies go to heaven or not? Am i the one that decides who goes to Heaven?
Should the church bury an atheist? and should the church perform cremation? Behave as if you no understand the thread and keep asking me questions you know so well i am not in position to answer.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by truthislight: 7:57am On Jan 23, 2013
plappville:

Did i create this thread to know if burn or buried bodies go to heaven or not? Am i the one that decides who goes to Heaven?
Should the church bury an atheist? and should the church perform cremation? Behave as if you no understand the thread and keep asking me questions you know so well i am not in position to answer.

i dong dey vex o!. angry

Make people leave my pp alone o.

Imagine all this questions.

State your point and move jor.
angry

she also efficiently made her stance clear.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 23, 2013
plappville:

oya no vex..just asking ur thoughts on the issue na..na bad thing i do?
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Image123(m): 8:49am On Jan 23, 2013
Bidam: oya no vex..just asking ur thoughts on the issue na..na bad thing i do?
common tu ta pia pia? i know, i know, my French stinks, plap will teach me hopefully. I'm also learning some Greek from anukulapo, goshen and the hell-phobic gang.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by girlking(f): 4:35pm On Jan 23, 2013
Bidam: HEHEHEHE.. burning of dead bodies..what about the Christians that were burnt for what they stood for in time past? plappville do you think they are in heaven or hell ?
My guy ur head they there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Does This Really Mean?"The Truth Shall Set You Free" / Could It Be Satan Vs God / Scientific Evidence For The Biblical Neplhim ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.