Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,121 members, 7,811,155 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

Beware Of ATM Card Cloning - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Beware Of ATM Card Cloning (15787 Views)

Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics / Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card / Users Of ATM Will No Longer Pay N100 On Withdrawals - CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tboy1(m): 1:38pm On Mar 18, 2008
I think all u guys have forgotten there r people called HACKERS!!!
Nigeria banks are just lucky they don't have time for nigeria because if the currency was really high(almost like british pounds) and they also just noticed the atm system/online banking system in nigeria is still new (i.e many flaws) mehnnnn the fraud complaints within banks in nigeria will skyrocket in less than a month

BTW
HACKERS don't even need your Pin
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by mmonwuba(m): 3:39pm On Mar 18, 2008
tboy1:

I think all u guys have forgotten there r people called HACKERS!!!
Nigeria banks are just lucky they don't have time for nigeria because if the currency was really high(almost like british pounds) and they also just noticed the atm system/online banking system in nigeria is still new (i.e many flaws) mehnnnn the fraud complaints within banks in nigeria will skyrocket in less than a month

BTW
HACKERS don't even need your Pin

Then that becomes a bank's problem and not yours
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by chrisibu(m): 3:47pm On Mar 18, 2008
Learn the simple security measures in securing your ATM.
Click on the link below for a step by step in order to avoid all forms of ATM Fraud

clcik on http://hubpages.com/hub/atmsecurity for more security information on atm.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by rasputinn(m): 4:00pm On Mar 18, 2008
Whether ATM or Credit card,identity theft dey everywhere

BOSTON (Reuters) - A computer hacker stole thousands of credit card numbers after breaching security at two U.S. grocery store chains owned by Belgium-based Delhaize Group SA, the companies said on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly 2,000 cases of fraud have been linked to the breach, but no personal information such as names or addresses was accessed when the hacker broke into the Hannaford Bros. stores in Massachusetts, New England and New York, and Sweetbay customers in Florida, Hannaford said in a statement.

Boston's WBZ radio said 4.2 million credit and debit card numbers were stolen. Company officials were not immediately available to confirm the number of stolen card numbers.

Hannaford, headquartered in Scarborough, Maine, said it became aware of unusual credit card activity on February 27 and began an investigation. It said the data was illegally accessed during the credit card authorization process.

Hannaford Chief Executive Ron Hodge offered an apology for the intrusion. There are 165 Hannaford stores in the U.S. Northeast and 106 Sweetbay supermarkets in Florida.

"We sincerely regret any concern or inconvenience this has caused," Hodge said in a statement. "We have taken aggressive steps to augment our network security capabilities."

The breach is the latest at a big U.S. retailer and comes after U.S. retail group TJX Cos Inc disclosed last year that data from 45.7 million credit and debit cards were stolen by hackers over a period of 18 months, as well as personal information for 451,000 people.

A group of banks later asserted in court documents that the number of consumer accounts were affected was closer to 94 million, a charge Massachusetts-based TJX denied
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tboy1(m): 4:57pm On Mar 18, 2008
mmonwuba:

Then that becomes a bank's problem and not yours

LOL you're funny, whose acc is the money coming out from?
Overseas, yes the bank might refund your money but not in nigeria, and even if they do decide to refund you your OWN money you would have paraded the bank so much that you'll know all the cashier's and personal banker's name off hand
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by OpeLovely(f): 5:03pm On Mar 18, 2008
Wonders shall never end!

I'm not suprised that such a time like this one could happen.

Even the staff of a bank and security could also steal cash hence they say never let anyone know or see your pin number and confidential card numbers as well.

Eya! Pele!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by chrisoml(m): 5:13pm On Mar 18, 2008

I beg is there anyone in the house who can give me his/her pin now, am out of cash? I promise to delete from memory after using it. I dey wait oooo.

here is mine 0806
please 4 ur eyes only ooooo cheesy
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by adekennis(m): 5:17pm On Mar 18, 2008
AUTOMATIC THIEF MACHINE angry angry
ITS ANOTHER WAY OF SCAMMING PPLE embarassed embarassed
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by lightest(m): 5:38pm On Mar 18, 2008
[
chrisoml:

here is mine 0806
please 4 your eyes only ooooo cheesy
choco4life:

Here's my PIN 0911

Thank you all for giving your PIN NUMBER it actually worked. More palm oil to your elbows. In case you still have other PIN NUMBERS don;t hesitate to give, I promise to delect it from my memory. Thanks again
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Cue(m): 6:14pm On Mar 18, 2008
lets not pretend,Nigeria is still growing!!!its ur right 2 demand space when using the ATM,call bank security if it becomes hard!And this is what i do, have 2 accounts in d same bank if u can.let d atm b attached only to one of them,let ur money be in the one without atm and put wat u need for recurrent on the one with d atm.when its running out,refill from the one without atm.since u own both accounts,its just a personal bank transfer that u can do at no cost.u can even do that online!or even by phone depending on ur bank.GTB makes it very easy for me!4 d bros wey dem waka him money,abeg sorri o!na naija we dey.every day we dey learn!ciao!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by bodsibobo(m): 7:32pm On Mar 18, 2008
@Cue

Very sensible, I do the same.
Put all my money in a savings account with no debit card and put only what you use concurrent in a cheque account with debit card. Use cheque accounts for debit orders and also put sms notifications on all transactions.
Accounts in same bank, minimal cost for eft and both accounts are not even linked.

For credit applications you submit both statements, savings and current accounts.

Lastly check your balances on line at least twice a week.

The pickin wey say him mama no go sleep, hinself no go take eye see sleep!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by sassie(f): 10:49pm On Mar 18, 2008
There's valuable advice in this article.

http://www.articleassets.com/Article/Simple-Steps-to-Prevent-Credit-Card-Fraud/13286

, and a little more information about the brief history of credit cards,

http://www.articleassets.com/Article/A-Brief-History-Of-Credit-Cards/13299

Cheerio.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Shaunscot(m): 12:14am On Mar 19, 2008
Something you all should understand is that your security/safety is your responsibility.
There is little the bank can do to protect you without your help.
As long as you DONT give out your PIN,nobody can steal from your account with your ATM card - even if he/she has a clone of that card(Which is rare/hasnt occured in Naija).
This is not to say that there isnt a degree of security compromise in some banks(I wont name names) but its the cardholder's responsibility to protect himself.
1.Never give your PIN.
2.If you want to do a balance inquiry,do it on Interswitch's quickteller website i.e. https://webpay.interswitchng.com/quickteller
3.Confirm from Interswitch about any web merchant if you are in doubt.You can do this by sending a mail to interswitch at support@interswitchng.com.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by naijafan(m): 6:00pm On Mar 19, 2008
Shaunscot:

Something you all should understand is that your security/safety is your responsibility.
There is little the bank can do to protect you without your help.
As long as you DONT give out your PIN,nobody can steal from your account with your ATM card - even if he/she has a clone of that card(Which is rare/hasnt occured in Naija).
This is not to say that there isnt a degree of security compromise in some banks(I wont name names) but its the cardholder's responsibility to protect himself.
1.Never give your PIN.
2.If you want to do a balance inquiry,do it on Interswitch's quickteller website i.e. https://webpay.interswitchng.com/quickteller
3.Confirm from Interswitch about any web merchant if you are in doubt.You can do this by sending a mail to interswitch at support@interswitchng.com.

WORD!!! wink
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by oYaTo(m): 6:56pm On Mar 19, 2008
@poster

Your friend is to blame, cos no one can clone ur atm card without having the card details; even if a fraudster manages to get the card number, without the pin he can do nothing, so obviously your friend must have been careless about his pin. The common thing nowadays is for boyfriends and girlfriends to know each other's pin nos and use each other's card, and later on you find one of them complaining about his/her account balance one way or another not knowing that his bf/gf had made withdrawals without his/her consent.

Concerning ATM fraud, a fraudster does not even need to "clone" a card, all he needs is the card info: the card number and the pin. All he needs to do is to log in to any site (such as recharge card purchasing sites, or even pay school fees online), type in the card details, and make online payments.

The lesson here is simple: guard your pin jealously, don't even let ur s/o in on it!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by worldman(m): 10:17am On Mar 20, 2008
cry
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by lightest(m): 10:51am On Mar 20, 2008
ATM machine is not meant for the dulled mind. So be smart and quick is the logic of life. sorrio hope the gari is still intact
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by jephiano: 1:48pm On Mar 20, 2008
@Presido1 [b]any online purchase in which u use ur ATM card, u would be required to key in ur PIN.[/b]as has been sed,its best 2 find out from interswitch if the owners of the site are their partners or else u may d latest "phishing' victim.dem go chop clean mouth, find anoda mugu.

Peace nairalanders
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by folahann(m): 6:35pm On Mar 21, 2008
The more the level of technology is improved the more problem we have and the less secured we are.
O ma se o
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by jamisi: 6:39pm On Mar 21, 2008
This is the MADEST PROGRAM ive eva seen in my life!!!!!!!!!!!
Check @ http://www.qes-staff.com

Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by kayowalemi(m): 7:31pm On Mar 23, 2008
I beg, isn't there anyone in the house who can give me his/her pin now, am out of cash? I promise to delete from memory after using it. I dey wait oooo.

Kayo
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Shaunscot(m): 12:57am On Mar 24, 2008
U wan make I call EFCC 4 u?
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by makavele: 6:06am On Mar 26, 2008
ITS CUTE THO'
LET'S NOT FORGET THAT NAIJA IS ADVANCING, SO IF YOUR ATM CARD IS HACKED
JUST KNOW THAT IT WAS DONE BY SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO BE A HACKER.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by kachiface(m): 7:22am On Mar 29, 2008
Hi All,

I understand all the fears and Like some people rightly stated, the key to access into your account is your PIN (Personal Identification Number).

I have been using ATM cards since day one and its how many years now and surprisingly I have never had issues with usinng my card. My cash has never been short and I have never been defrauded or overcharged.

5 Simple rules of thumb:
1. I never use ATM machines installed anywhere else apart from banks (preferrably the bank that issued my card).
2. Before you enter your PIN, check your surroundings. You have a right to demand for space if the guy behind you is too close. If it breeds a quarrel, then quarrel about it - why? Your life's work is worth that much. (I bust my as* every day going to work at 5:30 and coming back at 10pm, I work hard, I'd do what I have to do to protect my hard earned cash )
3. Before making a withdrawal, check your balance first! - why? If you can get your balance, that means connection to your bank is currently active (I believe its also a way of refreshing the connenction). Then go on and make your withdrawal. If you cant get your balance, dont try to make a withdrawal, you cant be sure what te outcome will be. If it says financial institution is unavailable, DON'T FORCE IT by tryingn over and over again. Just wait till later.
4. Never try a transaction more than once. If it fails the first time, chill and try later when the network connection is better. (dont forget all the communication is electronic - via the internet, so if there are network problems, data could easily get corrupted). Also when you do, start the process again, checkinng your balance first!
5. When transacting online - Be sure that your pin is entered while you're connected to the interswitch website ONLY.
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT:: for online transactions on any InterSwitch approved website, when its time for payment, InterSwitch policy entails that the customer is transferred to the innterswitch web server where the url is something like: https://webpay.interswitchng.com , blah blah . Note that its interswitch(ng) not (nig) as some dudes came up with sometime ago. WHEN IN DOUBT, CALL YOUR BANK, CALL INTERSWITCH!

Incidentally, I work for a company where we sell stuff online. To my utter surprise, Nigerians are really buying stuff online, but I daresay some transactions I see, hmm, anyway, that's for another day.

If for any reason you enter your information and nothing happens, like if you buy stuff online or you buy recharge vouchers and you dont get it (maybe on a dummy website or something of the sort), immediately change your pin and contact InterSwitch and your bank.

Security is simple, but it takes commitment. Commit yourself to your security. Choosing not to know and criticizing it or totally opting out is not always the safest option. Like they say. sometimes, what you dont know can kill you as well.

cheers all!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by moreshow(m): 10:12am On Mar 29, 2008
Ignorance they say kills more even than HIV/AIDS. The truth is that there are several equipment used in reading the chip on the ATM, SIM cards but the only good is that the ATM developers are this inbuilt security in the ATM Machine that is not noticeable by any of the users. BElieve it or not THE ATM MACHINE AS AN INBUILT CAMERA DAT SNAPS THE ALL USERS OF THE ATM MACHINE RIGHT FROM WHEN U INSERT THE ATM IN MACHINE. Though, this does not tends to be the ultimate solution for the money illegally withdrawn but atleast if you contact the bank (NEW GENERSTION BANKS) to lodge ur complain, am very sure u can get the informatrion and the person that withdrew ur money.

ma email
mthecodder@gmail.com
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Shaunscot(m): 12:07am On Mar 30, 2008
moreshow:

Ignorance they say kills more even than HIV/AIDS. The truth is that there are several equipment used in reading the chip on the ATM, SIM cards but the only good is that the ATM developers are this inbuilt security in the ATM Machine that is not noticeable by any of the users. BElieve it or not THE ATM MACHINE AS AN INBUILT CAMERA DAT SNAPS THE ALL USERS OF THE ATM MACHINE RIGHT FROM WHEN You INSERT THE ATM IN MACHINE. Though, this does not tends to be the ultimate solution for the money illegally withdrawn but atleast if you contact the bank (NEW GENERSTION BANKS) to lodge your complain, am very sure u can get the informatrion and the person that withdrew your money.

ma email
mthecodder@gmail.com
Wrong, Believe me,I know the semantics.
Some ATMs might have cameras but not the ones in Naija yet.
The best you can get from an ATM is a journal paper that gives a description of everything that happened at the ATM(Like whether cash was dispensed or not).
Some banks however have security cameras at some of their ATMs.
You cant get anything about anybody that uses your card at an ATM except details on how ur card was used.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by gibby(m): 11:28am On Apr 09, 2008
some are now even reprograming atm machines and take advantage of it, in one case a man withdrew $50,000
but the machine foolishly deducted just $20,000 from his bank account, and the funniest thing is that he left the machine like that and it continued that way not until when one good samaritan woman who intended to withdraw $2000 but received $5000 she hurriedly check her account and found that $2000 has been withdrawn but she have on her $5000 she quickly reported to the bank before it was corrected you can imagine that though it is not in nigeria here but with the way the nigerians are advancing if nothing is done about it they may even do the worse smiley
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by kiahh: 6:23pm On Apr 09, 2008
why I nor dey like use ATM cards, ATM chop my money once 20k jus like dat and I nor ever get am back cry
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by yinkuso08: 7:54pm On Apr 09, 2008
gibby:

some are now even reprograming atm machines and take advantage of it, in one case a man withdrew $50,000
but the machine foolishly deducted just $20,000 from his bank account, and the funniest thing is that he left the machine like that and it continued that way not until when one good samaritan woman who intended to withdraw $2000 but received $5000 she hurriedly check her account and found that $2000 has been withdrawn but she have on her $5000 she quickly reported to the bank before it was corrected you can imagine that though it is not in nigeria here but with the way the nigerians are advancing if nothing is done about it they may even do the worse smiley

Are u sure, I thought the maximum you could withdraw for an ATM is between $600 and $1000. I've enver heard of that high amount being withdrawn from an ATM before,
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by raxtyne: 3:43pm On Apr 11, 2008
Nairalanders, on this ATM issue, make God just dey guide us!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tipsy289(m): 9:08pm On Apr 11, 2008
hmnnn withdraw $50000
unless its Zimbabwe dollars i dont see that happening with US dollars,thats too much for an ATM so that story has its comma
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Infoseye(m): 2:29pm On May 09, 2008
grin grin grin No need to be scared anymore help I s on the way [https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-132995.0.htmlclick[/url] here to Know what am talking about

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's Your Response/reaction To A Coffin-seller Who Complains About Sales-drop? / How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing / My Laptop Recently Arrived From China....this Is How I Did It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.