Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,156 members, 7,825,613 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? (3543 Views)

Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo / On Arabic Inscription On Nigerian Army Logo / The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 12:15am On Jan 07, 2013
I remembered vividly during Charles Soludo's time as the Nation's Central Bank Governor he was asked to remove those Arabic signs from our currency notes since Nigeria is not an Islamic State! He succeeded in removing it from our lesser denominations (#5, #10, #20 and #50) while the higher ones (#100, #200 and #500) still bear the strange Arabic inscriptions! One thing puzzling about these Arabic signs is that we are yet to be told (by Islamic scholars) the meaning of the inscriptions.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by outrage: 12:23am On Jan 07, 2013
Its the amount written in arabic caligraphy but in hausa pronounciation..

It has nothing islamic about it, so fear not.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by ezeagu(m): 12:50am On Jan 07, 2013
outrage: Its the amount written in arabic caligraphy but in hausa pronounciation..

Why?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 1:02am On Jan 07, 2013
ezeagu:

Why?
You sef wonder why I am curious because where the Arabic Inscription was placed tells you there is more to it than the ordinary! Besides, it's the same with what you have on the #100, #200 #500 and the question still comes, WHY?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by outrage: 1:47am On Jan 07, 2013
tomakint:
You sef wonder why I am curious because where the Arabic Inscription was placed tells you there is more to it than the ordinary! Besides, it's the same with what you have on the #100, #200 #500 and the question still comes, WHY?
Guy stop spewing rubbish and showing your ignorance. Its not the same, The begining is because it means "naira' but the ending part is different, because of the differnt denominations.,
Arabic and hausa are interwoven.. A lot of words in hausa are derived from arabic. Infact the origin of hausa is arabia, if you studied your history in early university you should know that, 'bayajida'
Where the caligraphy is placed doesn't mean anything.

I believe this should answer your curiousity, except you want to attach your own meaning to it..

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 1:54am On Jan 07, 2013
@outrage, I have heard you but you have still not explained the real meaning of the inscription as I expected you to!
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by cfours: 2:28am On Jan 07, 2013
tomakint: @outrage, I have heard you but you have still not explained the real meaning of the inscription as I expected you to!

^ can you read at all!!

outrage:
Its the amount written in arabic caligraphy but in hausa pronounciation..

It has nothing islamic about it, so fear not.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by cfours: 2:35am On Jan 07, 2013
ezeagu:
Why?
tomakint:

If you southerners can't understand the arabic parts. how do you expect the northerners to understand the english part.
stop embarassing yourselves with your ignorance abeg. Nigeria is not made up of south only.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by lafuria1(m): 3:11am On Jan 07, 2013
even the arab man will disown wat was written on the note because it is hausa written in arabic formay. on any denominations, it means 100 naira, 200 naira etc. i can write the poster's alias in arabic perfectly,. it just like writing wat a chiness man is saying with english letters.

as for removing it or not, depend on government, it doesnt add value to the naira or reduce the naira value. for me any one done is their problem, at least wen they did that to lower denomination, nothing happen.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 4:20am On Jan 07, 2013
why does this issue come up once every 3 months, are you guys sponsored to recycle this hot topic?

you cant question the arabis letters on currency and excuse arabic numerals for counting the denominations.... 1,2,3,4,5...... these are of arabic origin as well.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by alstacs(m): 5:28am On Jan 07, 2013
c.fours:

If you southerners can't understand the arabic parts. how do you expect the northerners to understand the english part.
stop embarassing yourselves with your ignorance abeg. Nigeria is not made up of south only.

The last time I checked, English is still the official language of northern Nigeria.
What proportion of the north reads or writes Arabic?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 6:15am On Jan 07, 2013
c.fours, i apologize o jare, just discovered my error.

alstacs,

an arab will look at that inscription and not understand what it means. he can make out the letters but he has no clue what it says.

it will be like an english person looking at the word "bawo" and telling you i see b, a, w and o....but he cannot make sense out of it. so if yoruba can write his language in latin letters and igbo can write "ezioku" in latin letters, what stops hausa from choosing to write and read in arabic letters. whose authority compels any of us to stick with latin as the script for. communication?

since 1960 no colonial authority has forced us to communicate in latin letters, we have chosen not to exercise our freedom. for an alternative. hausa has choosen the alternative here. if igbo wants to include insibidi, they should have the right to do so. this is how you exercise freedom and self determination. we ought to learn from this example.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 7:45am On Jan 07, 2013
@ Negro Ntns, thanks a great deal for that elaborate and insightful post from you! I have confirmed before now that even an Arabian will find it difficult to interprete the inscription, that's why I was curious! If Nigeria is not an Islamic State, why not expunge the inscription off our naira and follow the pattern on the lesser notes where the inscriptions were done in the three major languages!
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 8:00am On Jan 07, 2013
yeah, but putting the inscription in the three major languages using what script?

give me example using one of the languages.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 8:43am On Jan 07, 2013
Negro_Ntns: yeah, but putting the inscription in the three major languages using what script?

give me example using one of the languages.
I am talking of the way it was done on our #5, #10, #20 and #50! For instance, our #50 have the following; Naira Hamsin, Naira Iri ise and Aadota Naira why can't they do such on the higher denominations? My point!
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by outrage: 8:53am On Jan 07, 2013
Why are you so against the arabic inscription? I think that's the question here
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 8:59am On Jan 07, 2013
tomakint:
I am talking of the way it was done on our #5, #10, #20 and #50! For instance, our #50 have the following; Naira Hamsin, Naira Iri ise and Aadota Naira why can't they do such on the higher denominations? My point!

you are guilty of writing in latin script. cheesy

why do we have latin script in our currency denominations?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by geeez: 9:02am On Jan 07, 2013
The OP has a point. English is the official language and should you say the Arabic inscriptions are Hausa representations of the face value, then what about the other two major languages and over 250 languages marginalized in this arrangement?

If our national anthem, constitution and pledge are all written in English, I don't see any reason why our currency should be represented in a different fashion. If the illiterate people in the north have a problem with it, they can be sensitized. After all there are just only eight denominations of the Naira notes
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by kodewrita(m): 9:09am On Jan 07, 2013
As long as there are people who only understand the Ajami script (the arabic lettered form of hausa), then it needs to stay on the notes.

its not a religious script and its just stu..pi.d tribalist mentality to request its removal simply because you dont like seeing arabic script.

I am a christian Yoruba and I find nothing offensive about it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 9:51am On Jan 07, 2013
On this matter, i am sure if america or britain were using ajami on their notes our people would love also to have ajami on our notes......

such is our fate that on a similar discussion on islamic banking southereners will not relent the opposition until it was revealed that america, britain and france all support it and in fact similar banks exist in britain.

to actualize self-determination and independence one must be willing and fearless to stand out from the crowd. of the three groups, hausa is best at setting its own course and destiny, standing out of the crowd and unilaterally doing what is in its best interest. there should be no surprise at all why they dominate and call the shots.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by taharqa: 10:01am On Jan 07, 2013
outrage:
Guy stop spewing rubbish and showing your ignorance. Its not the same, The begining is because it means "naira' but the ending part is different, because of the differnt denominations.,
Arabic and hausa are interwoven.. A lot of words in hausa are derived from arabic. Infact the origin of hausa is arabia, if you studied your history in early university you should know that, 'bayajida'
Where the caligraphy is placed doesn't mean anything.

I believe this should answer your curiousity, except you want to attach your own meaning to it..
The origin of Hausa is NOT Arabia. Though both of them are Afrasan, with Hausa in d Chadic subphylum and Arabic in d Semitic one, Hausa didnt originate from d Middle east or Arabia. In fact, Semitic (d only memba of Afrasan found outside Africa and its youngest) moved from Africa in its pre-proto form to d Middle east thousands of years ago where it coalescend and expanded....... @topic, its time for Arabic to be completely removd from all our currency. Just cant undastad why it was eva usd in d 1st place..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by DeepSight(m): 10:20am On Jan 07, 2013
Sincerely, the issue is simple and straight-forward.

If there is an intention to help Hausa people understand the value of the notes, then it should be written in Hausa. Not a problem, if its written in arabic-hausa (whatever that may be) - if majority of the Hausa understand that better.

However, the discrepancy lies here - and the OP has a point - why only for the north? There are people illiterate in English everywhere in Nigeria. Thus, it would have been proper to have representations of value from at least the major indigenous languages on the notes. Thus the question remains - why the preferential treatment?

If a Hausa man needs those inscriptions to understand the value represented, so also, an Igbo or Yoruba or even Tiv or Ijaw man may need his local language inscribed therein to understand same.

In a nation as ethnically diverse as ours, it is ridiculous to place such an inscription for the benefit of one tribe. The truth is, even the worst illiterate recognizes the notes and their values - not by inscriptions, but by color, images, etc.

Otherwise there should be some 250 languages on the notes. End of.

You see, there is an implication to insisting that the northerners need that inscription. It is either -

1. A recognition of the fact that the north is educationally backward or

2. An imprint and carry-over from the long years of Northern Domination of Nigeria.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 10:21am On Jan 07, 2013
taharqa,

on the presence of arabic on national objects, it is also (i think) on the embroidery with the coat of arms sewn onto army officers hat. im not 100% sure but I think it is there. I know with certainty that it was there at one point in past but cant say if its still there or not.

i want to bring an issue up here that none who supports removing the currency ajami has yet thought of.

1. how are we going to pass it in NASS when the bill will require 2/3 majority and the north control that 2/3 power?

2. if by some miracle the bill passes to become law and the ajami is removed and then the northerners refuse to honor or accept the modified notes in their region, then what do you do to prevent a national catastrophy?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by DeepSight(m): 10:25am On Jan 07, 2013
Negro_Ntns: taharqa,

on the presence of arabic on national objects, it is also (i think) on the embroidery with the coat of arms sewn onto army officers hat. im not 100% sure but I think it is there. I know with certainty that it was there at one point in past but cant say if its still there or not.

i want to bring an issue up here that none who supports removing the currency ajami has yet thought of.

1. how are we going to pass it in NASS when the bill will require 2/3 majority and the north control that 2/3 power?

2. if by some miracle the bill passes to become law and the ajami is removed and then the northerners refuse to honor or accept the modified notes in their region, then what do you do to prevent a national catastrophy?

Currency notes are left at the approval of the President under the CBN Act.

So this issue does not arise.

Now let me ask you a question: what happens if the rest of Nigeria other than the north reject the current notes.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 10:27am On Jan 07, 2013
deepsight,

i think i will pick 2 in your post as the root cause why it has continued to be used.

if it was required in 1960 when north was 1/10th literate, it should be reviewed and removed now that even almajiri speak fluent pidgin.....in practical matters it is not needed, but in principle its a good political tool and a dayam effective one.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by geeez: 10:33am On Jan 07, 2013
kodewrita: As long as there are people who only understand the Ajami script (the arabic lettered form of hausa), then it needs to stay on the notes.

its not a religious script and its just stu..pi.d tribalist mentality to request its removal simply because you dont like seeing arabic script.

I am a christian Yoruba and I find nothing offensive about it.

So why aren't you requesting that we use the inscriptions on our road signages because that's the only language some people understand? And what makes you think there aren't Nigerians who can't read Arabic or English but can read Yoruba? What about those people?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 10:34am On Jan 07, 2013
Deep Sight:

Currency notes are left at the approval of the President under the CBN Act.

So this issue does not arise.

Now let me ask you a question: what happens if the rest of Nigeria other than the north reject the current notes.

.....if the president had such exclusive power it would have been exercised in past regimes.

the south has no such ball power to stand up for political direction. i should not even make it a north/south issue....
.it cuts three ways!
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 10:38am On Jan 07, 2013
geeez:

So why aren't you requesting that we use the inscriptions on our road signages because that's the only language some people understand? And what makes you think there aren't Nigerians who can't read Arabic or English but can read Yoruba? What about those people?

geez, it should not be about language.

as i said in earlier post, if you write in yoruba, you commit the same violation as hausa written in ajami because the yoruba itself will be written in latin.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by DeepSight(m): 10:38am On Jan 07, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

.....if the president had such exclusive power it would have been exercised in past regimes.

This is not a matter for debate. See the CBN Act, End of.

the south has no such ball power to stand up for political direction. i should not even make it a north/south issue....
.it cuts three ways!

Exactly. Insidious fear over the years is a terrible thing. Now its all about balance and petting, and compromise. Ta! India. . . . Sudan . . . .what was the result, really?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by DeepSight(m): 10:40am On Jan 07, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

geez, it should not be about language.

as i said in earlier post, if you write in yoruba, you commit the same violation as hausa written in ajami because the yoruba itself will be written in latin.

Yes, but ofcourse, why give the Hausa in ajami the exclusive privilege? The Yoruba in latin may need or want the same privilege, no?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 10:46am On Jan 07, 2013
deepsight,

the CBN act is what it is! what you have done is like saying see the constitution to understand why the president has exclusive right to exterminate bokoharam......no one disputes that as commander in chief he does. the contention is, why hasn't he?

on the second part, how about three different currency notes? im sure you see things unfolding here. thank God its only a brain exercise here. grin
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 10:47am On Jan 07, 2013
Deep Sight:

Yes, but ofcourse, why give the Hausa in ajami the exclusive privilege? The Yoruba in latin may need or want the same privilege, no?

see second prgrph abve

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Female TV Host Cuts Off Interview With Maleguest After He Tells Her To ‘shut Up’ / Soe To Quit Nairaland By Midnight / Igbo Traders Bemoan Buhari’s Economic Policies, Harsh Business Environment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.