Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,876 members, 7,841,289 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? (3556 Views)

Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo / On Arabic Inscription On Nigerian Army Logo / The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by DeepSight(m): 10:54am On Jan 07, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

see second prgrph abve

The point is simply this; even three languages would not suffice in a nation of 250 languages. There is a reason we have an official language, and the point is simply that for that specific reason, we should stick to the official language, End of.

Anything less - worse what obtains currently - where only one tribe has the privilege - is ridiculous.

As to your question as to why it has not been done already - I already told you - years of insidious fear.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 11:05am On Jan 07, 2013
i must be selfish here when we talk of the multiplicities of languages. i cant speak for other parts but i can speak for west. yorubaland has always had one language, before, during and after colonialism. the other parts where multiplicities of tongue is a problem will need to find ssolyuion that works best to harmonize interests.

regional currency helps as well to return resource rights and market controls to the people.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 11:19am On Jan 07, 2013
lets wind back to topic.

lets not set a precedence.demanding that yoruba and igbo must be included to occupy presence with hausa ajami. we should call for its removal as a primaru choice and in the alternative we call for regional currency on which people can put whatever graphics and language or letter suits.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by outrage: 12:03pm On Jan 07, 2013
taharqa: The origin of Hausa is NOT Arabia. Though both of them are Afrasan, with Hausa in d Chadic subphylum and Arabic in d Semitic one, Hausa didnt originate from d Middle east or Arabia. In fact, Semitic (d only memba of Afrasan found outside Africa and its youngest) moved from Africa in its pre-proto form to d Middle east thousands of years ago where it coalescend and expanded....... @topic, its time for Arabic to be completely removd from all our currency. Just cant undastad why it was eva usd in d 1st place..
Did you study history? The hausa origin is from bayajida a prince from baghdad that's the capital of iraq and in the middle east.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by kodewrita(m): 12:07pm On Jan 07, 2013
When the yoruba deem it fit to invent their own writing script, then it will be placed on the note. Otherwise, it makes no sense asking for it to be removed.
Nsibidi is not understood by most Igbo and as such, it makes no sense putting it there except for sentimental reasons.

The ajami hurts nobody being there. Unless you want to claim those illiterate Northerners are not equal citizens as you are. The fact is that ajami is as widely used in the north as english is in the south. in fact novels written in ajami are so popular that people buy them in markets in kano. Common everyday people. let's not allow our own limited knowledge and bigotry blind us to a living social phenomenon in our midst.

@geeez i support putting ajami script on our street signs. in fact I support having street signs with names in 3-4 languages. Totally. But will your incompetent administrations do that? NO.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by Abbey2sam(m): 12:43pm On Jan 07, 2013
tomakint: I remembered vividly during Charles Soludo's time as the Nation's Central Bank Governor he was asked to remove those Arabic signs from our currency notes since Nigeria is not an Islamic State! He succeeded in removing it from our lesser denominations (#5, #10, #20 and #50) while the higher ones (#100, #200 and #500) still bear the strange Arabic inscriptions! One thing puzzling about these Arabic signs is that we are yet to be told (by Islamic scholars) the meaning of the inscriptions.

My only question is that, is there yoruba or igbo inscription on their notes in the middle east?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 07, 2013
I'm sorry to sya that this poster is either foolish or ignorant of what he's arguing about. What is written is not arabic, its just a form of writing that is adopted by the hausas during pre colonial times.

((The term Ajami (Arabic: ﻋﺠﻤﻲ ʿaǧamī ), or Ajamiyya
(Arabic: ﻋﺠﻤﻴﺔ ʿaǧamiyyah), which comes from the
Arabic root for "foreign" or "stranger," has been
applied to Arabic alphabets used for writing African
languages. It is considered an Arabic derived African
writing system (just as Latin is Egyptian-derived)
Since African languages involve phonetic sounds and
systems different from the Arabic language, there
have often been adaptations of the Arabic script to
transcribe them—a process not unlike what has been
done with the Arabic script in non-Arabic speaking
countries of the Middle East, and with the Latin script
in Africa or with the Vietnamese alphabet.[1]
The West African Hausa is an example of a language
written using Ajami, especially during the pre-
colonial period when Qur'anic schools taught Muslim
children Arabic, and by extension, Ajami. When
Western colonizers adopted a Latin orthography for
Hausa, Ajami went into decline, and today is
employed less frequently than the Latin standard
orthography. However, Hausa Ajami is still in
widespread use, especially in Islamic circles.))

Source; wikipedia.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajami_script
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by DeepSight(m): 2:24pm On Jan 07, 2013
babagy82: I'm sorry to sya that this poster is either foolish or ignorant of what he's arguing about. What is written is not arabic, its just a form of writing that is adopted by the hausas during pre colonial times.

((The term Ajami (Arabic: ﻋﺠﻤﻲ ʿaǧamī ), or Ajamiyya
(Arabic: ﻋﺠﻤﻴﺔ ʿaǧamiyyah), which comes from the
Arabic root for "foreign" or "stranger," has been
applied to Arabic alphabets used for writing African
languages. It is considered an Arabic derived African
writing system (just as Latin is Egyptian-derived)
Since African languages involve phonetic sounds and
systems different from the Arabic language, there
have often been adaptations of the Arabic script to
transcribe them—a process not unlike what has been
done with the Arabic script in non-Arabic speaking
countries of the Middle East, and with the Latin script
in Africa or with the Vietnamese alphabet.[1]
The West African Hausa is an example of a language
written using Ajami, especially during the pre-
colonial period when Qur'anic schools taught Muslim
children Arabic, and by extension, Ajami. When
Western colonizers adopted a Latin orthography for
Hausa, Ajami went into decline, and today is
employed less frequently than the Latin standard
orthography. However, Hausa Ajami is still in
widespread use, especially in Islamic circles.))

Source; wikipedia.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajami_script

This is still beside the point. Why is only one tribe given this privilege, period.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 2:32pm On Jan 07, 2013
Deep Sight:

This is still beside the point. Why is only one tribe given this privilege, period.
I was about to respond to him in kind but you have just answered the aboki the way he deserves to be responded cool
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 07, 2013
Wetin consign me with wetin dem write for naira note.if sanusi likes let him write in ashanti or swahili. As long as i can spend the money,no wahala! grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 2:50pm On Jan 07, 2013
berem: Wetin consign me with wetin dem write for naira note.if sanusi likes let him write in ashanti or swahili. As long as i can spend the money,no wahala! grin
Trolling or passing by cheesy cheesy wink my e-Lolo
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 2:54pm On Jan 07, 2013
The crux of the matter is, 'Nigeria is not an Islamic State' why still having the inscription on our higher denominations is that not a sign of arrogance and self-centredness from our northern brothers?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 6:22pm On Jan 07, 2013
kodewrita: ?
When the yoruba deem it fit to invent their own writing script, then it will be placed on the note. Otherwise, it makes no sense asking for it to be removed.
Nsibidi is not understood by most Igbo and as such, it makes no sense putting it there except for sentimental reasons.

The ajami hurts nobody being there. Unless you want to claim those illiterate Northerners are not equal citizens as you are. The fact is that ajami is as widely used in the north as english is in the south. in fact novels written in ajami are so popular that people buy them in markets in kano. Common everyday people. let's not allow our own limited knowledge and bigotry blind us to a living social phenomenon in our midst.

@geeez i support putting ajami script on our street signs. in fact I support having street signs with names in 3-4 languages. Totally. But will your incompetent administrations do that? NO.

is ajami an hausa invention? you are lucky in the north yoruba is not as callous and evil as you people up there.....you should have two options only: 1. remove ajami and use same currency as rest of nigeria, or 2. create your own ajami inscribed currency and then be forced to an exhorbitant rate of exchange when you transact business below the niger.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by kodewrita(m): 7:30pm On Jan 07, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

is ajami an hausa invention? you are lucky in the north yoruba is not as callous and evil as you people up there.....you should have two options only: 1. remove ajami and use same currency as rest of nigeria, or 2. create your own ajami inscribed currency and then be forced to an exhorbitant rate of exchange when you transact business below the niger.

1) Yes ajami is definitely a hausa INNOVATION.
2) I am Yoruba as earlier mentioned.
3) You are painting a wrong image of us here. Only the misguided ones among us (the lunatic fringe) are swayed by the kinds of arguments being made here. Most yorubas are too busy with making the money to care whats on it. If you are so concerned about it, why dont you find out what it means?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 07, 2013
The note is a reminder that Nigeria is made of made nations.

Nigeria is like NATO, the only difference is that while NATO came together to form a force, Nigeria came together to form a disaster.

After the Independence of Biafra, Nigeria can have Arabic as her National Language!
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by Kessyy2k4(m): 8:04pm On Jan 07, 2013
ezeagu:

Why?
z
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by NegroNtns(m): 8:25pm On Jan 07, 2013
kodewrita:

3) You are painting a wrong image of us here. Only the misguided ones among us (the lunatic fringe) are swayed by the kinds of arguments being made here. Most yorubas are too busy with making the money to care whats on it. If you are so concerned about it, why dont you find out what it means?

ajami is not an hausa innovation. ajami use was widespread in yorubaland up till the use of latin script to communicatr in yorubaland. yorubas were using ajami before they even knew anything called islam. so its use is not exclusive to hausa.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 10:22pm On Jan 07, 2013
kodewrita:
What exactly is ur point!
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by cfours: 1:06am On Jan 08, 2013
tomakint: The crux of the matter is, 'Nigeria is not an Islamic State' why still having the inscription on our higher denominations is that not a sign of arrogance and self-centredness from our northern brothers?

This is an ignorant statement.
Move to biafra and print your own christian(english) currency. kapish.
since you clearly are intolerant of co-existence.

I'm not surprised that it's mostly the ibos who have a problem with the north being represented on our (NIGERIAN) currency.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 1:16am On Jan 08, 2013
c.fours:

This is an ignorant statement.
Move to biafra and print your own christian(english) currency. kapish.
since you clearly are intolerant of co-existence.
I'm not surprised that it's mostly the ibos who have a problem with the north being represented on our (NIGERIAN) currency.
But you have not posted anything in tandem to the post you quoted except for ur banal statement above! undecided
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by cfours: 1:19am On Jan 08, 2013
noblezone: The note is a reminder that Nigeria is made of made nations.

Nigeria is like NATO, the only difference is that while NATO came together to form a force, Nigeria came together to form a disaster.

After the Independence of Biafra, Nigeria can have Arabic as her National Language!

more prove of my point.
same ibo people who have half of their population flocking to the north.
you didn't create the english language so why are you defending the exclusive sovereignty of the english language more than the british people themselves who are no longer in our country?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by cfours: 1:29am On Jan 08, 2013
kodewrita:

Negro_Ntns:

ajami is not an hausa innovation. ajami use was widespread in yorubaland up till the use of latin script to communicatr in yorubaland. yorubas were using ajami before they even knew anything called islam. so its use is not exclusive to hausa.

i'm yoruba as well. sometimes I think our tribe is what keeps Nigeria together
we are influenced by both the arabic and western civilizations historically
wonder why the ibos get so pissed off at seeing arabic script. it's just a language. only ignorance will make you feel there is a conspiracy to it.
ignorance is what breeds fear and fear breeds hatred and violence.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by ezeagu(m): 1:34am On Jan 08, 2013
c.fours:

If you southerners can't understand the arabic parts. how do you expect the northerners to understand the english part.
stop embarassing yourselves with your ignorance abeg. Nigeria is not made up of south only.

It was a simple question which you did not answer. Why is there Hausa in Islamic calligraphy on the naira?
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by cfours: 1:41am On Jan 08, 2013
ezeagu:

It was a simple question which you did not answer. Why is there Hausa in Islamic calligraphy on the naira?

you are stupid if you can't find the answer in the two pages of this thread.
either that or you are looking for an answer that only fits your limited, ignorant world view.

your question even makes no sense. Saying arabic is islamic is akin to saying english is christian.
Why is there christian writing on the naira? is Nigeria a christian nation?

only a fool will not see through this topic as a biafra garbage.

The fact is that ajami is as widely used in the north as english is in the south. in fact novels written in ajami are so popular that people buy them in markets in kano. Common everyday people. let's not allow our own limited knowledge and bigotry blind us to a living social phenomenon in our midst.

yup. grin
when people say northerners are illiterate the thing is they are defining literacy as the ability to read english only. quite funny

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 1:50am On Jan 08, 2013
c.fours:

you are stupid if you can't find the answer in the two pages of this thread.
either that or you are looking for an answer that only fits your limited, ignorant world view.
your question even makes no sense. Saying arabic is islamic is akin to saying english is christian.
Why is there christian writing on the naira? is Nigeria a christian nation?
only a fool will not see through this topic as a biafra garbage. yup. grin
A slave will always be a slave!
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by cfours: 1:55am On Jan 08, 2013
tomakint:
A slave will always be a slave!

ain't that true?
Biafra will most likely have French as its official language since France will be its ordained liberator from Nigeria.
Let's just hope they can learn fast. master do, monkey do.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 2:03am On Jan 08, 2013
c.fours:

ain't that true?
Biafra will most likely have French as its official language since France will be its ordained liberator from Nigeria.
Let's just hope they can learn fast.
That sentence was actually directed at YOU! You are one of the reasons many other tribes labelled we Yorubas as 'slaves' to the abokis! Just go thru ur post here u will b ashamed of ur sorry life! Perhaps u are from Ilorin or Ogbomosho undecided
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by cfours: 2:24am On Jan 08, 2013
tomakint:
That sentence was actually directed at YOU! You are one of the reasons many other tribes labelled we Yorubas as 'slaves' to the abokis! Just go thru ur post here u will b ashamed of ur sorry life! Perhaps u are from Ilorin or Ogbomosho undecided

oh the irony.
let's just agree that the joke is on you.

"we yorubas"... you and who?
well, i've never seen or heard of a yoruba man who worships biafra and ojukwu as much as you do. Yea I remember the last time I had an argument with you. you had all kinds of ugly words to say about yoruba people.
what state are you from?
should I be kind and give you the benefit of doubt to say that you are a confused mix of ibo and yoruba? LOL
or should I call you on what you really are?
this thread was a clear red flag when I saw it because I recognized the OP. so i'm shocked you have converted to yoruba.grin hahah there's always entertainment on nairaland.
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 2:45am On Jan 08, 2013
c.fours:

oh the irony. let's just agree that the joke is on you.
"we yorubas" you and who?
well, i've never seen or heard of a yoruba man who worships Ojukwu as much as you do. Yea I remember the last time I had an argument with you.
what state are you from?
maybe you are a confused mix of igbo and yoruba? LOL
Kid, stay off drugs! This is a new year! My presence in NL is to bash 'bigots from any tribe' I don't 'worship' any mortals but the 'Immortal God'!
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by cfours: 2:46am On Jan 08, 2013
ok grin
this thread is a good way to start that. so my assumption is that the "illiterate" northerners are what's pissing you off today. or do they piss you off everyday?how dare they understand a language you don't understand. who gave them such rights.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by tomakint: 2:53am On Jan 08, 2013
c.fours:
ok grin
this thread is a good way to start that. so my assumption is that the "illiterate" northerners are what's pissing you off today. or do they piss you off everyday?how dare they understand a language you don't understand. who gave them such rights.
It's your assumption, you are free to 'cook it' and 'eat it' I don't have time for a psychobabbler like you cool
Re: Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? by cfours: 2:58am On Jan 08, 2013
tomakint:
It's your assumption, stop hurting my poor feelings cool

it's best I keep my other assumptions to myself then.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don Jazzy/marvins Performing At The APC Rally For Buhari In Lagos. DOROBUCCI. / Another Proof This PDP Government Has Lost It! / If The Tribal Game Continues - We Might Never Have An Ibo President.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.