Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories (18692 Views)

Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) / Ex Muslims Share Your Conversion Stories Here. / Atheist Agenda For 2013. All Atheists Please Comment! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 1:34am On Jan 11, 2013
Ihedinobi: @cyrexx, interesting story. I think I see why you insist you were once a Christian. However, your story may also be betraying why you're wrong about that.

Mtchew! Better focus on your twin bro, Anony who was delusional in calling himself a former atheist when he was actually a rapetheist!

grin

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 1:53am On Jan 11, 2013
Logicboy03:

Mtchew! Better focus on your twin bro, Anony who was delusional in calling himself a former atheist when he was actually a rapetheist!

grin

Why are you so obsessed with Anony?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:14am On Jan 11, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Why are you so obsessed with Anony?

I dunno.... grin grin grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:20am On Jan 11, 2013
Image123: I remember solemnly warning muskeet to desist from the path to backsliding but he didn't heed. each individual makes his own decision of spiritual life and death, and has no one else to blame on the last day.
Thank you for realising I made my decision. I don't blame anyone. I've taken full responsibilities of my actions. Whatever will be, will be.

I'll desist from abusing or mocking you just to honor this thread. Please don't be a .....
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:28am On Jan 11, 2013
Logicboy03:

Heheee, crase man :-/
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by tush12: 2:35am On Jan 11, 2013
Most of d pple here cite as their reasons for atheism, d actions of others. I don't know y pple can't be held accountable 4 their misdeeds. I feel God gave us all free will and we will be judged by how we lived our lives not by how many times we go to church. No one has all d answers so its funny wen I see some ignoramus telling me categorically dat God doesn't exist and yet he won't xplain how he got here or prove his claims with science or logic. We can't ever truly understand d universe so to each his own. And pls try to respect people's opinion. However, I would rather believe dat God exists. D world is depressing enuf. No one should take away my hope.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:38am On Jan 11, 2013
tush12: Most of d pple here cite as their reasons for atheism, d actions of others. I don't know y pple can't be held accountable 4 their misdeeds. I feel God gave us all free will and we will be judged by how we lived our lives not by how many times we go to church. No one has all d answers so its funny wen I see some ignoramus telling me categorically dat God doesn't exist and yet he won't xplain how he got here or prove his claims with science or logic. We can't ever truly understand d universe so to each his own. And pls try to respect people's opinion. However, I would rather believe dat God exists. D world is depressing enuf. No one should take away my hope.

Cocaine gives people hope

Anti-depressants make people happy and give them hope

Religion gives you hope

[img]http://2.bp..com/_fImTIYAP7RU/TLGv5fdtZ8I/AAAAAAAAANY/4fx201tmqKM/s1600/opium_of_the_people_small.png[/img]
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:42am On Jan 11, 2013
Just finished the thread. MusKeeto, that was quite a story. You sort of fit my expectations. Maybe, when I wake up in the morning, I'll comment on your story.....if that's allowed, that is.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:44am On Jan 11, 2013
Ihedinobi: Just finished the thread. MusKeeto, that was quite a story. You sort of fit my expectations. Maybe, when I wake up in the morning, I'll comment on your story.....if that's allowed, that is.
I don die. Expectations? Feel free...
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:45am On Jan 11, 2013
Logicboy03:

Ok. I think though that you find yourself forced to reexamine your position everytime you remember him. That's a good thing.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:47am On Jan 11, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Ok. I think though that you find yourself forced to reexamine your position everytime you remember him. That's a good thing.

That came out gay. lipsrsealed
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by tush12: 2:50am On Jan 11, 2013
Logicboy03:

Cocaine gives people hope

Anti-depressants make people happy and give them hope

Religion gives you hope

Yes it does. U r quite entertaining. I like encountering pple like u. Seen most of ur posts. Hope u knw u can't change anyone. Its a personal decision regardless of how much time u spend posting ur contrary opinions. Ur beliefs are ur biz just as mine is my biz. Seems like religion or lack of it makes no diff in ur life. U r still disrespectful of oda pple n their opinions. Who wud hav thunk it? An atheist A***.

[img]http://2.bp..com/_fImTIYAP7RU/TLGv5fdtZ8I/AAAAAAAAANY/4fx201tmqKM/s1600/opium_of_the_people_small.png[/img]
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Image123(m): 3:35am On Jan 11, 2013
musKeeto:
Thank you for realising I made my decision. I don't blame anyone. I've taken full responsibilities of my actions. Whatever will be, will be.

I'll desist from abusing or mocking you just to honor this thread. Please don't be a .....
you tried blaming God, then Christians who you felt were below, then the whole of religion. At the end, it's your choice. I warned you.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Image123(m): 3:38am On Jan 11, 2013
@cyrexx
nice pic. perspectives differ.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 4:38am On Jan 11, 2013
Image123:
you tried blaming God, then Christians who you felt were below, then the whole of religion. At the end, it's your choice. I warned you.
Hypocrite. Liar. Puffed up akara. That's what you've been. That's what you remain. I sincerely hope the 'holy spirit' you claim lives in you opens your eyes to your uselessness..

Well, at least there is evidence.

This was a topic I opened during that period : www.nairaland.com/794217/one-believe-christ-not-christianity

I envy you guys who are able to look beyond all the ills of the world and focus on the Cross. That's good. You're a good soldier of Christ. May the good Lord keep you.
I couldn't continue to be a hypocrite.

And I never, ever, blamed my actions on external forces.

On a sidenote:
What's worse is those who claim to
truly believe in the faith see this,
see the hypocrisy of their own
pastors and fellow members.. BUT
SAY NOTHING!! How can you
comfortably worship God in the
same "house" with people who
clearly do not have any respect for
your "Lord"? Doesn't that make
you a hypocrite too?!! - Kails, NL 2013

Goshen, Anony, davidylan... Few christians on NL that do not hesitate to point out doctrines that do not stand up to scriptural standards. You, on the other hand, are just a chameleon lurking in the background. At least we know where JoAgbaje stands.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 4:54am On Jan 11, 2013
@Image: that'll be all I have to say to you on that matter. You're human though, you have a right to have opinions. Feel free to exercise it till you have a muscle pull or something..

@tush12: great post...
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 11, 2013
Image123:

It is people like you that prevent others from entering the kingdom with your false teachings , no surprise.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by 2good(m): 11:05am On Jan 11, 2013
tush12: Most of d pple here cite as their reasons for atheism, d actions of others. I don't know y pple can't be held accountable 4 their misdeeds. I feel God gave us all free will and we will be judged by how we lived our lives not by how many times we go to church. No one has all d answers so its funny wen I see some ignoramus telling me categorically dat God doesn't exist and yet he won't xplain how he got here or prove his claims with science or logic. We can't ever truly understand d universe so to each his own. And pls try to respect people's opinion. However, I would rather believe dat God exists. D world is depressing enuf. No one should take away my hope.

You can see that you have a very narrow minded view of things. You call people who refused to believe your god ignoramus yet you are telling them to respect people's opinion when you refused to respect their opinion by insulting them.
You also talked about their not providing evidence for the non existence of god, while you have not been able to provide an evidence for the existence of god. Do you think you have a good argument here by insulting people with different views from yours without giving them evidence or reason why they should change their beliefs to yours?
You are just an intolerant religious bigot and with people like you out there, expect more people to leave your faith.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:06am On Jan 11, 2013
the minute i started using our secondary school library grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by mazaje(m): 12:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
Here is mine. . .It was a topic here on nairaland back in the days. . .I just edited it a bit. . .

My various travels around the world was what first lead me to begin to question my faith. I was born into a muslim family but my dad allowed my mum to practice her christian religion while they still remained married. When my dad died the me and my siblings had to become very very conservative christians, I became a complete christian at the age of 13 (actually I was a closet christian grin). My dad was not a serious muslim at all so we were just muslims in name only because my mum and her relatives used to take us to church and teach us about christianity but he never objected. . .in fact he didn't even mind at all. He just did not care about Islam or any religion at all. he just made sure that we knew the tenets of Islam and learn how to read the koran and pray that's all, nothing more because he didn't care at all. Looking back I believe he was a deist. I was raised in a wealthy home, by a very conservative mum and aunts who were end of day enthusiast. . .My mum still believes that Jesus will come during her life time. . .I grew up in the church and TRULY gave my life to christ when I was about
15 years old. . .I used to preach even when I first went to Europe in 2004. I used to lay hands on the sick seriously believing that they will be healed. . .I grew up mostly in the church, mum is very rich so the church was all over her and drew her close to them because she was always giving them money(she is their maga). . .I knew the bible very well or so i thought, used to participate in bible quize in back in my SS2 and SS3. . If I wasn't a christian and TRULY believed then no body on earth is a christian. . .I even joined nairaland as a christian. . .

My travels around the world was what opened my eyes to the institution called religion and faith. Those travels really showed me how the entire system works and how people turn culture, traditions and societal acceptance into facts and realities even if they are false and leads to their own detriment. I visited Thailand and Singapore in october back in 2006 and I saw the other side of the world that I never knew existed. My room mate at that time who is from Thailand took me there. While we were there we went to a small village about 200-km away from Bangkok for the burial of his uncle that passed away. While we were there I moved away and went to a corner and allowed them to continue their burial ritual. They burned incense chanted and did all their Buddhist incantations and ceremony while I was watching from a distance. Deep inside my mind I was really feeling sorry and bad for them for wasting their time praying for some one that was already in hell because I thought and believed that since the person they were about to bury refused to accept Jesus as his lord and savior he was doomed eternally. I really felt bad for them because I just felt they were doing a frivolous exercise.

One of them then walked up to me just said "hi" in their language shook my hand and left. . .when he saw me and my friend together he quickly walked up to us and asked my friend to tell him how happy he is to see me, he asked what brought me to thailand and most especially to their little village and I told him. My friend then became our translator. He told me about the guy that passed away and how great he was, he said he touched the lives of most of the people in the village that is why they decided to bury him instead of cremating him. He asked me if we bury our dead or cremate them and I told him we bury our dead, then he asked me what I believed in and I told him that I am a christian, and he replied by asking me what I meant by that. I didn't even know how to answer so I just repeated that I was a christian, he then asked me if christianity involves ancestral worship. I was kind of pissed at the questions he was asking me so I asked my friend if the guy was serious at all with the type of questions he was asking me and my friend said that he was, I laughed and told my friend if its true that the man does not know any thing about christianity and he said yes. I still did not believe, so I just told my friend to tell him, and my friend told me that he knows very little about christianity all he knows is that we believe in a man named Jesus and thats all he knows. It was then that I realized that I and my friend have never really talked about religion at all. So I told him to tell the man that I believe in Jesus Christ the son of God who came to die for the sins of all mankind and lead them into salvation according to God's plan, his face was indifferent when my friend told him and he asked me if Jesus is an ancestor of mine. I laughed because I still could not believe what I was hearing.

I didn't know what to tell him, I just said that Jesus is the son of God, not my ancestor, two other Buddhist monks also came along and we talked then I truly realized that this guys were truly serious because they had never heard the name Jesus in their lives at all, I realized that I was the first person to tell them about Jesus. I was really terrified. The year 2006 and here are people that have never heard the name Jesus in their entire lives and these are men that were well into their 40's and 50's. I just could not believe it, They had their own scriptures that teaches them everything about life, their realities coincides with everything that is written in their own scriptures, they had their own beliefs and their entire lives revolves around those set of beliefs just like ours. Jesus, the holy spirit or the God that I believed in had no role to play in their lives at all and that did not affect their lives in any negative way at all. They were leading normal lives like us, they had their own challenges and everything but the fact that most of them have never had the name Jesus talk less of knowing anything about christianity continued to hunt me. I could not believe it. I thought about how it will be very unfair to them if they die and go to hell because the bible says that Jesus is the only way to salvation and no one can go to God except through him. Since they do not believe in Jesus I believed they were all doomed, I could not accept it and I started to really question the whole thing from then on. . . . . . . . .

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by tush12: 1:01pm On Jan 11, 2013
@ 2good. I'm not responsible for what people choose 2 blive in. D pple I called ignorant are those dat are trying 2 sway me to their way of thinking. I can't prove God exists but they can't prove he doesn't so why should I chose not to believe. If its not broken why fix it. I don't knw y u are taking my views personal. I am not a church prefect so I don't have d names of defectors. Please what eva rocks ur boat is ur biz. I no send. If u feel like an ignoramus, its not my fault. Ask urself y u feel so insecure in ur convictions dat u have 2 attack me 2 affirm ur beliefs. Leave me out of ur personal conflicts in d future

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by 2good(m): 1:08pm On Jan 11, 2013
tush12: @ 2good. I'm not responsible for what people choose 2 blive in. D pple I called ignorant are those dat are trying 2 sway me to their way of thinking. I can't prove God exists but they can't prove he doesn't so why should I chose not to believe. If its not broken why fix it. I don't knw y u are taking my views personal. I am not a church prefect so I don't have d names of defectors. Please what eva rocks ur boat is ur biz. I no send. If u feel like an ignoramus, its not my fault. Ask urself y u feel so insecure in ur convictions dat u have 2 attack me 2 affirm ur beliefs. Leave me out of ur personal conflicts in d future

You are free to your opinion but as long as you don't call people with dissenting views name, it is fine. We are here to discuss and not to label people with names which you have donw.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by mazaje(m): 1:10pm On Jan 11, 2013
Atheism started setting in gradually. It took quite a while before I lost my faith completely. After a very rigorous test of faith. I almost went crazy as a result. . .My encounter with the people in thailand made me have my first doubts and to re-examine my beliefs, question it and find out how true it is. From then on I came to understand that religion is not something we come to accept based on evidence or through verifiable arguments, its something that our culture and society inculcates in us since when we are children and it becomes a part of us as we grow,this culture later becomes our ultimate truth because our daily lives revolves around it and it is been reenforced by the beliefs of others around us. Once that religion which I call a culture becomes a part of us, we then always look for a way to justify it even when there are so many evidence to the contrary, most people believe in god or a particular religion because they some how find themselves involved in a group or society that promotes the idea and they are conditioned to believe in it even when most of its assertions are false( creation myths, noah's flood myth and garden of eden myth). It's later on when their subconscious nags them that it's BS, they start looking for evidence to support the notion even if it means lying to themselves(christian and islamic apologist come to mind here, a hand full of them exist here on nairaland as well). . . .

I left christainty because I came to realize that most of its stories are NOT true.Why should I accept the stories that I know are not true just because some people that I do not know said it happened when I know it did not? I read a LOT of books and came to understand how the religion actually came about. . .The bible is NOT the word of any god but the stories made up by men to promote their culture, promote their race and their god against that of others. The book contains a lot of good advice and a lot of bad advice as well. . .It is a book that can be used to justify anything. Alot of its stories are JUST NOT TRUE and never happend. For example there was never a flood that wiped out the whole of humanity. It is a lie it NEVER happened, a man can not divide the sea with a stick, sticks do not turn into snakes if egyptians magicains can turn their sticks into snakes during the time of moses then they should be able to do it now. donkeys do not talk, manna does not fall from heaven, a person can not survive inside a fish for 3 days. A person can not stop the earth from rotating, the rainbow is not a convenant between man and any god, stars can not fight along side human beings. Why is it that all these things only happen in the past when men were primitive and are not happening now? They tell us to accept these false stories based on faith but we know that faith is a device used by those who can't bear the thought that what they believe in is not so. It gives false assurance. It offers a religious placebo to those who are sick with a religious illness because at some level everyone realizes that believing on faith means nothing more than believing it because you have an emotional bias for believing itand they also realize that wanting to believe that something is true is in no way evidence for and doesn't even have any logical relationship to whether that thing is actually true. They know that they are lying and they tell us that faith is a virtue so we should have faith. I decided to tell my self the truth and accept reality not some feel good stories, myths, fiction and thoughts of unknown people which have been demonstrated to be false over and over again. Most of the authors of the bible are not even known. NO author of the gospels has ever meet Jesus or knew him in person, al;l the stories were written very long after him and his disciples were dead in greek a language he never spoke or understood. . . the books of the bible were written mostly by people that lived long after the stories they wrote and were later ascribed names of others. . .

I left christianity because if there truly is a god as described in the bible and by some christians then there will be no need for people to speak for him at all, christians will be performing magic all over the place as promised by jesus and people will come to know about there god but that is not the case. The fact that christians do not agree on the basic nature of the god of the bible alone tells you that it is all a man made sham like everything else. There are over 30,000 different sects of christianity and each of them aligns with the personal interpretation and view of the bible of the members within the sect. I read the history of christainty and the bible(islam and the koran) and came to know that like every other thing religion is man made there is nothing supernatural about( most supernatural beliefs in the past like earth quake, rainbow and lighting have been shown to be natural events) it and all its assertions are false as far as I know. We are told by religion that we have a soul that out lives us but science has shown that it is all a lie. I will rather believe in reality than feel good myths and lies by people that do not even know what the stars are. Our society is completely uneducated and illiterate that is why we believe in all these things. . .In the developed world, all religions are dying and the societies are better for it. . .

4 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by 2good(m): 1:34pm On Jan 11, 2013
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by tobechi74: 1:56pm On Jan 11, 2013
I've bin folowin dis thread but didnt coment

i am bin touchd by the storys of many especialy muskeeto and cyrex

noticd that deconversion was a gradual process.started by doubt,quest 4 question and life xperience.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by mazaje(m): 1:57pm On Jan 11, 2013
2good: Food for thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RXmkftK0Sw

This video says it ALL. . .
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by tobechi74: 2:05pm On Jan 11, 2013
Moral lesson

this thread should change our views on atheist.

Their deconvesion isnt that easy.they past through a lot

it is better to decamp to the other side of the river. Than to hang on the bridge. Even the bible say, it is better hot or cold. If ure warm,i wil spit u out

frosbel,nice job

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Image123(m): 7:37pm On Jan 11, 2013
musKeeto:
Hypocrite. Liar. Puffed up akara. That's what you've been. That's what you remain. I sincerely hope the 'holy spirit' you claim lives in you opens your eyes to your uselessness..

Well, at least there is evidence.

This was a topic I opened during that period : www.nairaland.com/794217/one-believe-christ-not-christianity

I envy you guys who are able to look beyond all the ills of the world and focus on the Cross. That's good. You're a good soldier of Christ. May the good Lord keep you.
I couldn't continue to be a hypocrite.

And I never, ever, blamed my actions on external forces.

On a sidenote:
What's worse is those who claim to
truly believe in the faith see this,
see the hypocrisy of their own
pastors and fellow members.. BUT
SAY NOTHING!! How can you
comfortably worship God in the
same "house" with people who
clearly do not have any respect for
your "Lord"? Doesn't that make
you a hypocrite too?!! - Kails, NL 2013

Goshen, Anony, davidylan... Few christians on NL that do not hesitate to point out doctrines that do not stand up to scriptural standards. You, on the other hand, are just a chameleon lurking in the background. At least we know where JoAgbaje stands.
Woahhh, gentleman atheist abi na agnostic. Seems i have a way of messing up your whole being. Wetin i carry, wetin you throw? You said
"I don't blame anyone. I've taken full responsibilities of my actions. Whatever will be, will be.

I'll desist from abusing or mocking you
". This you did not do in your story, you tried blaming God and others.You said
Mom wiped OAU Ile-Ife off my jamb form without my knowing and inserted the name of one of the private Christian universities. Summer break's over and I resume classes with lots of anger in my heart. As expected, it's almost a repeat of my secondary school if not worse. It didn't take long. I became an atheist without realizing it. The Bible, and religion as a whole, meant nothing to me.

End of the first semester and I return home for the Xmas holidays worse than what I was when I left. A deep hatred for pastors. A deep hatred for church. A deep hatred for religion. A week later, I lost my siblings and friends in the Sosoliso plane crash....
What exactly is this to imply or impress in readers if not blame?
See prayer and fasting for God to show up in my room and push me away from darkness.

And He didn't show up, right? If He had, you won't be an unbeliever? Who is to blame? Your unbeliever friends will say God, as that is the message you passed whether you know it or not.
Jer 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

I was at my wit's end and couldn't stand the restrictions and hypocrisy any longer. I moved back home and registered at an institute for a diploma in software engineering.
Hypocrisy of others is not an excuse for drawing back. there is hypocrisy everywhere. Jesus Christ lived with hypocrites for 33 years, He still pleased God. He was meant to be the One you followed and looked to, not to men.
Psa 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
Psa 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
Psa 118:9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
Jer 17:5 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.

Two months later, some questions began to rise up in my mind. By this time, I had seen more temples, shrines and gods than I had seen while growing up in Nigeria. I began to feel an emptiness in reading the Word. I felt there had to be something deeper, more meaningful, a greater purpose to Christianity, something it offers that no other religion can offer. I still believed in the fallacy that Christianity is morality; it isn't. People can be honest, truthful, kind without ever meeting or knowing Jesus and have a functioning and developing system that's favorable to them without Christianity. They may miss heaven, but earth will be fun. Same can't be said of Nigeria. But I digress
Here was the prodigal moment where you began to miss it. i won't go into that not to derail our little talk.

The major hospitals in the city have a lot of African patients, majority of whom are Nigerians. Our problems are financing their solutions.. yet almost all Nigerians look down upon the Indians for worshiping cows and all other kind of animals. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Does God hate development? Has religion IMPROVED our lives in Nigeria? Will it ever do so? The more I read, the more I realised I'd begun to lose faith in the Bible. If people live by the precepts the Bible upholds, especially Christ's words, the world would be a better place.
Here is the thing again. You agree that there is nothing wrong with the Bible, or at least from other parts of your posts, with the new testament. But you changed not because of the Bible but because nigerians had let you down.

Months of confusion over if 'tongues' still exist or not. Fasting and praying to 'acquire' these tongues. That was all over. I'd hit one TRUTH. It's all in the MIND. Our mind's very powerful, our thoughts are as real as we want them to be.
You didn't get the thing, so God is to blame, not you. What of others who got it, or claimed to get it?

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by AtheistD(m): 8:31pm On Jan 11, 2013
1. Your conversion story
I was born xtian. Baptised as Catholic, then as an Anglican and then as a Mormon.

2. Experiences in the church/mosque

Catholic church:
slightly odd doctrine (confessing, papal authority, excommunication etc).
Communal and less emphasis on finances etc. Helpful and supportive. Lots of charity work. Poor evangelists and not patient with questions.

Mormon church:
Really odd doctrine (Christ in america, book of mormon etc)
Slightly cult like
Dubious history
Very friendly, nice, intelligent and patient, brilliant at evangelizing and question answering.

Anglican faith:
Similar to Catholic church, patient with questions, lots of charity works.

Pentecostal churches:
Deeper life, mountain of fire, redeemed, winners chapel, rhema and about a cpl others.

All different in focus but similar in messages. Focus too much on prosperity. Too much internal politics and hierarchal issues (this is in all churches but witnessed easier in pentecostals).

3. Duration as believer

26 years

4. When and why you began to lose faith.
After 20 years. It just happened. Too much knowledge and lack ability to close my eyes and forcefully believe in something I felt didnt exist. It took 6 yrs to fully realise I was atheist. I just accepted my fate.

5. Your deconversion story.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 11, 2013
Image123:
Woahhh, gentleman atheist abi na agnostic. Seems i have a way of messing up your whole being. Wetin i carry, wetin you throw?

This is the second time I am telling you off today , don't let me correct you for the 3rd time wink

This thread was not opened to castigate anyone or put people down. There are many of us, me included who have had bruising encounters with the false church system , the one that you seem to embrace so closely, some of us stood, some fell, some left altogether.

Out of curiosity , and based on my previous experiences, I felt it was possible to address some of these experiences , not to rub my religion in anyone's face, but to explain , along with other loving brethren, where we think it all went wrong and how it should have been or could be, based on the BIBLE not the institutions of MEN which by the way are full of hypocrites and pharisees.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jan 11, 2013
Atheist:-D:
1. Your conversion story
I was born xtian. Baptised as Catholic, then as an Anglican and then as a Mormon.

2. Experiences in the church/mosque

Catholic church:
slightly odd doctrine (confessing, papal authority, excommunication etc).
Communal and less emphasis on finances etc. Helpful and supportive. Lots of charity work. Poor evangelists and not patient with questions.

Mormon church:
Really odd doctrine (Christ in america, book of mormon etc)
Slightly cult like
Dubious history
Very friendly, nice, intelligent and patient, brilliant at evangelizing and question answering.

Anglican faith:
Similar to Catholic church, patient with questions, lots of charity works.

Pentecostal churches:
Deeper life, mountain of fire, redeemed, winners chapel, rhema and about a cpl others.

All different in focus but similar in messages. Focus too much on prosperity. Too much internal politics and hierarchal issues (this is in all churches but witnessed easier in pentecostals).

3. Duration as believer

26 years

4. When and why you began to lose faith.
After 20 years. It just happened. Too much knowledge and lack ability to close my eyes and forcefully believe in something I felt didnt exist. It took 6 yrs to fully realise I was atheist. I just accepted my fate.

5. Your deconversion story.

Interesting.

Keep these stories coming, at a certain point we will start to address these points carefully , meticulously and patiently, in fact we might be talking about this intermittently till mid-2013.

It is important that we address the root cause of this trend of events.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by godman01(m): 10:33pm On Jan 11, 2013
What most of you don't understand is that Christianity is not a Religion. But what you have been exposed to is religion which puts you in bondage. Christians came from the word Christ-like, so Christians are those who simply follow Christ's footsteps. Chikena!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Free Sex Japan!!! / How Can One Know He Or She Has Emere/marine Spirit? / Great Bible Contradictions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.