Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling (5306 Views)

Dasuki Bought Assets In London And Dubai With Arms Cash - EFCC / Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling / Interior Minister Abba Moro Accused Of Gun-running, Arms Smuggling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by samakson(m): 3:18pm On Jan 09, 2013
ABUJA (Reuters) - Fifteen Russian sailors detained by Nigeria's navy in October on suspicion of arms smuggling have been transferred to police cells for prosecution, a naval spokesman said on Wednesday.

Nigerian authorities intercepted a ship and arrested its Russian crew on October 23 after they found several guns and around 8,500 rounds of ammunition aboard.

"On Monday, we handed over the crew to the police as we have completed preliminary investigations," Lieutenant Commander Jerry Omodara, spokesman for the Western Naval Command, said by telephone. "The ship and the weapons are still in our custody."

The Russian Foreign Ministry said the sailors were facing a court case initiated "under false pretexts" and that Nigeria broke a promise given to Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov that the men would return to Russia before the New Year.

"We expect that this time around the Nigerian partners will stick to their word and release the Russian sailors in the nearest time without additional conditions and further delays," the ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.

Arms smuggling to and through Nigeria is rife. Demand for weapons is great because of an Islamist rebellion in the north, armed robbery and kidnapping by gangs in the south and oil theft and piracy in the southeast.

The country is also sometimes used as a conduit for shipping arms to other conflict-ridden parts of West Africa.

The Moran Security Group, the Russian company that owns the confiscated vessel, called the accusations "groundless" and urged Nigeria to release the sailors.

"Over nearly three months, no charges were presented. This means the Nigerian side has no strong evidence... A week after the detention they would have been transferred to police arrest and then to court," Moran spokesman Alexei Maximov said.

"This case ... is the worst possible scenario that is threatening bilateral ties between Russia and Nigeria," he said.

Omodara said the boat was stopped initially because it was in Nigerian waters without permission.
http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-charge-russian-sailors-arms-smuggling-122306134.html

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Okijajuju1(m): 4:23pm On Jan 09, 2013
WHY!!!!?!

They were not supplying anybody in Nigeria...

ANYWAYS!!! All it would take is one SMS from one small secretary in the Russian government to Jonathan that reads Release them now, or... And they will be free..

Biitch third world nation trying to prosecute a G-8 countrys citizen... If police dey find who to charge go court, Odili is live on ground...

No cause for alarm...

[size=4]MEANWHILE>>>> THIS IS MY SECOND FIRST TO REPLY POSTS IN 24HRS...... BABA GAWD YOU ARE TOO KIND TO ME... OSHE BABA!!! YOU ARE TOO GBASKI!! [/size]

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by seuncyber(m): 4:24pm On Jan 09, 2013
RUBBISH

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by raynold17(m): 4:24pm On Jan 09, 2013
people way don go dere country..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by JLANCE(m): 4:26pm On Jan 09, 2013
hmmn
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by jalay(m): 4:26pm On Jan 09, 2013
hehehehe..
so na una dey sponsor Boko Haram
little tip for them: mosquitoes are friendly in that cell
so, don't panic
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Redmosquito(m): 4:29pm On Jan 09, 2013
jalay: hehehehe..
so, don't panic
***Dancing etigi***
So tonight I'll drink oyinbo man blood?!
Chai! At last I will be respected! grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by JLANCE(m): 4:31pm On Jan 09, 2013
jalay: hehehehe..
so, don't panic
be like say u don enta there before
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by eduson33(m): 4:33pm On Jan 09, 2013
Let's watch and see..na naija wey I know abi na another naija?
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Walexsammy(m): 4:34pm On Jan 09, 2013
K, buh why are dey doing the charging nw, after 3 full months, mtchewwww
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by sundaybam(m): 4:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
They should be charge to court and sentenced to jail because if it's nigeria that they caught in russia with that act. They may even kill them and lie that they die when trying to escape.
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
Immediatically now!! what are they still waiting for.
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by sundaybam(m): 4:39pm On Jan 09, 2013
They should be charge to court and sentenced to jail because if it's nigeria that they caught in russia with that act, They may even kill them and lie that they die when trying to escape.
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by stacomaster(m): 4:41pm On Jan 09, 2013
If na Naija em Catch em go Sentence to Death.. Bt here m0ney the talk
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by aare07(m): 4:42pm On Jan 09, 2013
By so doing, Russia and other G8, are behind our problem.
by 2015 election, more secret would reveal by Many contentants . believe me.
Nigerian Julian Assenge would know to the World
He is coming. who ?
Nigeria Secrets and Problem and Masses would provide SOLUTION.
Are you ready for the Solution, asked yourSelf . If yes,
add me On Whatsapp
New civil what ?
leave that to me.................................................
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by daryoor(m): 4:43pm On Jan 09, 2013
boko haram boys no dey use russian ammu, na south south militants be dia customer .
Russia no be our mate make we just know our levels release those guys asap.
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jan 09, 2013
Okija_juju: WHY!!!!?!

ANYWAYS!!! All it would take is one SMS from one small secretary in the Russian government to Jonathan that reads Release them now, or... And they will be free..

Biitch third world nation trying to prosecute a G-8 countrys citizen... If police dey find who to charge go court, Odili is live on ground...

No cause for alarm...

[size=4]MEANWHILE>>>> THIS IS MY SECOND FIRST TO REPLY POSTS IN 24HRS...... BABA GAWD YOU ARE TOO KIND TO ME... OSHE BABA!!! YOU ARE TOO GBASKI!! [/size]

You are talking like an hediot. So because they are white, russian, they are now above the law of the sovereign state of the federal republic of nigeria. Do you know the high number of nigerians languishing in russian jails. We are where we are as a nation today, because of people marauding around with your sort of slave mentality and orientation. The government should do the proper thing and jail these russians. These merchant of deaths( russians, ukrainians, chinese, brits and americans) are indirectly responsible for the murder of over 3000 nigerians over the past 2years of boko haram's insurgency in the north, and the many armed robberies in the south. like in russia, laws in nigeria should be respected. These arm smugglers cannot / should not be allowed to go scot free, to send a clear message to others wanting to toe the same path as them. My country is not a safe haven for gun running.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Mospring(m): 4:47pm On Jan 09, 2013
Walexsammy: K, buh why are dey doing the charging nw, after 3 full months, mtchewwww
naija don send dis ppl to deir country with apology since; dey cant prosecute the ist class country citizens, not in dis Life!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Okijajuju1(m): 4:51pm On Jan 09, 2013
Henry120:

You are talking like an hediot. So because they are white, russian, they are now above the law of the sovereign state of the federal republic of nigeria. Do you know the high number of nigerians languishing in russian jails. We are where we are as a nation today, because of people marauding around with your sort of slave mentality and orientation. The government should do the proper thing and jail these russians. These merchant of deaths( russians, ukrainians, chinese, brits and americans) are indirectly responsible for the murder of over 3000 nigerians over the past 2years of boko haram's insurgency in the north, and the many armed robberies in the south. like in russia, laws in nigeria should be respected. These arm smugglers cannot / should not be allowed to go scot free, to send a clear message to others wanting to toe the same path as them. My country is not a safe haven for gun running.

Call me any fhucking name in the fhucking world you like...

The Iranians that were caught with container loads of weapons in Tin Can Port nko?! Where are they?!!

You are a half breed monkey that keeps decieving yourself. Politics is not monopoly board game! A russiann that goes to jail in any third world country will only do so because the Russian government isnt interested in that persons fate. GET THAT INTO YOUR SKULL NOW!!!! That vessel will be released, complete with its cargo and crew and they will disappear into thin air and thats because they are russians!! We can do that to Congolese citizens, not G-8 member citizens..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by trustdanalhaji(m): 4:52pm On Jan 09, 2013
RUBESH DAT IS WHY I LIKE GEN.ABACHA!!
IF IT'S HIM HE WILL KILL THEM ALL, BUT THIS BADLUK HE WILL NOT BCS HE IS APRED 2 DO SO
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by creativemusic: 4:59pm On Jan 09, 2013
angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 09, 2013
Is today I know Okija_Juju to be the most silly commenter on Nairaland. In his shallow mind because they are Russians they should be allowed to pollute our nation with their weapons of destruction. He is so myopic to think if Nigeria says no the Russia government will use force to get their citizens. Please, spare me this shiit. If Russian government needs the release of those criminals they should also release most of Nigerian criminals in their jail.

The weapons should be seized and given to our military force.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Okijajuju1(m): 5:24pm On Jan 09, 2013
all4naija: Is today I know Okija_Juju to be the most silly commenter on Nairaland. In his shallow mind because they are Russians they should be allowed to pollute our nation with their weapons of destruction. He is so myopic to think if Nigeria says no the Russia government will use force to get their citizens. Please, spare me this shiit. If Russian government needs the release of those criminals they should also release most of Nigerian criminals in their jail.

The weapons should be seized and given to our military force.

Nwokem, they entered our waters without prior approval...

They had weapons and ammo on board, which any sensible ship crew would have entering Nigerian and Somali waters were Pirates run the show.

They had their final destination somewhere other than Nigeria..

They may have trespassed on our waters, but they will not spend a day in any of our prisons as convicted criminals.

ONE PHONE CALL FROM RUSSIA TO THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT AND THEY ARE FREE... The useless country couldnt even prosecute the Iranians that were caught in our port with live weapons.

Skunk off.. I say it as it is. You are still reasoning like you are reading a story book...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Maxymilliano(m): 5:24pm On Jan 09, 2013
Saw those Russian guys on Tv and they were looking less perturbed despite the weighty allegations against them.

According to the captain of the crew, the arms alleged to be found on the vessel were small arms and the reasons for that could not far fetched considering the rate of pirate attacks, especially along the gulf of Guinea and Arden. The only area he failed to provide a genuine response was the exact mission of the vessel on Nigerian waters.

But I see the case been resolved diplomatically with the crew returning back to Russia and the Ship being confiscated as a punitive measure.
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by ocelot2006(m): 5:24pm On Jan 09, 2013
Okija_juju: WHY!!!!?!

No cause for alarm...

I honestly don't understand Nigerians like you. A number of foreigners were caught smuggling in arms, weapons used to rob nd killing both law enforcement agents and innocent civilians. Yet fools like you still criticise the military, police, and the FG for such arrest? Are you mad?

Kudos to the security agencies involved in the arrest. And I don't care if the criminals are Russians, Chinese, Americans, or even Martians. If they an issue with their citizens breaking our laws, then let lodge a complaint/appeal with the Ministry of Foreign affairs.

Small secretary ko, mini secretary ni.
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Saksreal(f): 5:25pm On Jan 09, 2013
This is a great opportunity for Uncle Jona to show he is not a weakling as claimed by Nigerians.

Wld love to see how it ends.

My Predictions: Jonathan is threatened by the Russians and he get so scared and orders the release of the ship, its crew and complete Cargo.
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Mexyz(m): 5:33pm On Jan 09, 2013
Wats okija juju spitn 4rm his mouth? Ds guys entered our land without permissn nd u re here talkn rubbish? Yes they will be released,bt kudos to d navy for arrestn dem,teln nigerians nd shwn d russians fuckn faces on tv. U tel us wat hapn to d iranians na
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Mexyz(m): 5:36pm On Jan 09, 2013
Were d iranians released? Since u nw act as nairaland or better stl naija security spokepersn,who released dem nd when where they released? Patiently waitn for ur response.
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by chux4liv(m): 5:36pm On Jan 09, 2013
I beggii gbagbe oshii... At most.. Russian govt will demand the culprit be tried in their country and that would be the end of the matter
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

Nwokem, they entered our waters without prior approval...

They had weapons and ammo on board, which any sensible ship crew would have entering Nigerian and Somali waters were Pirates run the show.

They had their final destination somewhere other than Nigeria..

They may have trespassed on our waters, but they will not spend a day in any of our prisons as convicted criminals.

ONE PHONE CALL FROM RUSSIA TO THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT AND THEY ARE FREE... [b] The useless country couldnt even prosecute the Iranians
that were caught in our port with live weapons.

Skunk off.. I say it as it is. You are still reasoning like you are reading a story book... [/b]
Are you sure the Iranians were freed just like that? If that's it,the country must have come to term with the bold - as for the Iranian government.

If you are not so myopic what makes sense in releasing them just like - as if they were not found to have gone against the country laws. Even if at the end they are released there is every reason to make them know they contravened the nation laws and this should be a warning(including you Okija_Juju).

The weapons should be seized and Nigerian government should butt off from Russian relationship!
Re: Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling by sammyrollo: 5:44pm On Jan 09, 2013
daryoor: boko haram boys no dey use russian ammu, na south south militants be dia customer .
Russia no be our mate make we just know our levels release those guys asap.
U talk like a fool am sowi to say dat..but do we have levels wen it comes to security issues...u are d type of people killing this country..

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Am Afraid... Buhari Is Winning... / Six Big Questions For Senator Bukola Saraki / Breaking News: Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Wike- SaharaReporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.