Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Is It Really Desirable For Nigeria To Be One Country? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Really Desirable For Nigeria To Be One Country? (510 Views)

America ; One Country, Different Standards ..... Pictures. / Why Postponement Of Polls Is Desirable —bode George / How It Really Happened In Rivers Assembly - Eyewitness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is It Really Desirable For Nigeria To Be One Country? by SmartTalk: 5:18pm On Jan 09, 2013
Throughout history, the people who had wanted Nigeria to be one the most are foreigners. The reason NCNC had to cooperate with NPC was because the British encouraged it. When leaders of the North expressed need for secession on several occasions before and after independence, it was the British that told them not to. The condition for independence was that if one region moves against it, it would be called of. During the counter-coup of 1966 and the attendant genocide, it was British and American diplomats that dissuaded Northern leaders from secession. It was Russia and Britain that supplied arms, Britain supplied advisers to Nigeria to wage the war on Biafra. Nigeria's continued existence and the inept leadership has ensured that these foreign powers can get the resources they need at the lowest price possible. Nigerians had never agreed to live under a single sovereignty. So I ask, even for those who hold hope for Nigeria's unity, beyond oil, what is the basis for that "unity" and is this "unity" desirable.
I cannot control the maturity of the response to this topic but I do hope the intelligent comments would predominate.
Re: Is It Really Desirable For Nigeria To Be One Country? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 09, 2013
SmartTalk: Throughout history, the people who had wanted Nigeria to be one the most are foreigners. The reason NCNC had to cooperate with NPC was because the British encouraged it. When leaders of the North expressed need for secession on several occasions before and after independence, it was the British that told them not to. The condition for independence was that if one region moves against it, it would be called of. During the counter-coup of 1966 and the attendant genocide, it was British and American diplomats that dissuaded Northern leaders from secession. It was Russia and Britain that supplied arms, Britain supplied advisers to Nigeria to wage the war on Biafra. Nigeria's continued existence and the inept leadership has ensured that these foreign powers can get the resources they need at the lowest price possible. Nigerians had never agreed to live under a single sovereignty. So I ask, even for those who hold hope for Nigeria's unity, beyond oil, what is the basis for that "unity" and is this "unity" desirable.
I cannot control the maturity of the response to this topic but I do hope the intelligent comments would predominate.

Those of us who have been calling for a discuss on the future of Nigeria are seen as traitors.
Yet, the truth remains that Nigeria was never one, is not one and will never be one.

For us to build a great nation, there must be cohesion and patriotism. I have read Nigeria like a book, it is very sad that some people choose to live in denial of the fact that we need to shift away a bit from the centre.
If we cant have an outright break up, then let us have a very loose federation.
If the problem is the oil, we can even agree on a sharing formula but for the development, it is time we face the truth.

It is my prayer that we don't witness another "Biafra" but if we continue to be insensitive and continue to travel the path that led t the first "Biafra", I am afraid a second "Biafra" is inevitable.

A stitch in time, saves nine.

(1) (Reply)

IBB Mount Pressure On Tambuwal To Run For Presidency / Breaking News!! Don't Paste Posters For Me - Kalu / EFCC Locates James Ibori's Abandoned House In Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.