Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,879 members, 7,824,670 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? (2180 Views)

Court Orders INEC To Register Young Democratic Party / Is PDP Sharing Mobile Phones As A Campaign Strategy? / The Official People's Democratic Party Presidential Primaries Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by Maxymilliano(m): 2:12pm On Jan 12, 2013
Over the years, PDP have always hugged the headlines for right and wrong reasons, but recent happenings and varying public reactions was what necessitated this thread.

It need to be noted that politics all over the World is often characterized by high-wired intrigues, political maneuvering and horse trading.

Recently, the crisis rocking the PDP at the national level was brought to the fore following the failure of the party to elect new Board Of Trustee, and the Adamawa State Congresses which have pitched the NWC members against the national Chairman.

Another major incident that happened in PDP was the sack of the party National Secretary, Olagunsoye Oyinlola by the court; this was an outcome of a suit instituted by another member of the party against the nomination of Oyinlola's candidacy before the last national convention.

These two incidents, though unrelated was interpreted in different quarters as a sign that the President is losing grip of the party's structure and cannot totally be divorced from the recent face-off between the incumbent and his predecessor, Obasanjo. Another interpretations was that Oyinlola's removal is the final nail in the coffin for whatever ambition the President may be nursing come 2015.

Granted that everybody is entitled to their opinions, what seems lost in most of the comments I read so far was that all this issues were able to come to the surface because of the level of INTERNAL DEMOCRACY in the party.

This provides a platform for disgruntled and dissatisfied members to take their case to court for resolutions rather than taking the laws into their hands to claim supremacy and also afford members to disagree with constituted authorities in the party as expressed by the NWC against the unholy meddlesomness of the National Chairman in the Adamawa congresses.

How many of the present major parties can allow such expression of grievance as permitted in the PDP? I can remember shortly after the adoption of Akeredolu as the ACN candidate for the Ondo guber poll and the complaints that greeted the party decision, the Chairman of ACN, Chief Bisi Akande, came out to say that any dissatisfied aspirants who is not Okay with the party decision can leave the party... How uncharitable.

The CPC was formed in 2009 but only few people can reckon with the Chairman; Prince Tony Momoh, as the cult image of Buhari is what everyone has in mind. The ANPP is still struggling to find its feet after years of the locust in the hands of impostors. The ACN was founded in 2006, Bisi Akande and Lai Muhammed has remained Chairman and Publicity Scribe as long as I can remember, while Bola Tinubu remain the party national leader, but when are we going to read about BOT elections within the ACN?

I'm not unaware of the antics of some few whose stock in trade is to resort to abuse any thread not in tandem with their political ideology but like Pius Adesanmi said recently and slightly modified by me " you'll be waiting for the snoring of the crab if you expresses hope for internal democracy in the ACN".

How true is this assertion? And, if the PDP we all believed to be undemocratic in all ramification is showing flashes of what an internal democratic mechanism can be, what does this portray about parties that rather pander to the whim of some few as against the normal democratic ethos?

Lastly, I asked again, is PDP the [b]most[\b] democratic party in Nigeria
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by takedat(m): 3:29pm On Jan 12, 2013
There seems to be a consensus of opinion that all political parties in Nigeria lack internal democracy. PDP is the least democratised amongst the parties with intra party strife. During the party's last national convention, candidates were imposed on all members including a 60 year old as the Youth Leader, that is pure ra.pe of internal democracy. The party is the most factionalised amongst all the parties as seen in most states where parallel congresses where held. PDP also partly lost Oyo and Ogun states due to intra party fracas. The imbroglio engulfing its NWC and BOT are also good examples. PDP's disregard of internal democracy gave rise to a lot of political assassination amongst its members and also targeted some opposition figures. Some are convinced that the rise of terrorism ie Boko Haram was due to lack of internal democracy in PDP whereby some aggrieved members overtly or covertly sponsor terrorism to distabilise the government because they felt dissatisfied with the party's arrangement.

Most of the other political parties especially LP, ACN, APGA and ANPP also have their internal wrangling due to imposition of candidates but have been able to manage their crises probably because they are relatively smaller parties compared to PDP. That these parties leadership impose candidates is because they are the financiers of the parties and elections are monetized in the country, so its nothing strange that they dictate the affairs.

Constituting BOT's alone doesn't make a party truly democratised and most of the other well known parties do hold conventions even if exco's are elected by consensus which in itself is not undemocratic!
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by seanet01: 4:10pm On Jan 12, 2013
To me ACN is the most democratic Party. Their End Result usually Justify their Democratic tendencies
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by Maxymilliano(m): 4:42pm On Jan 12, 2013
seanet01: To me ACN is the most democratic Party. Their End Result usually Justify their Democratic tendencies
NOTED!

@Take Dat, considering the size of PDP as the largest party in Nigeria, such unending crisis should be expected. I'm still waiting for more contributions and may be I can divulge a thing or two I learn from some ACN members in Lagos I fraternize with. Like always, your opinion is well appreciated.
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by kunlekunle: 6:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
lets say the most oligarchic
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by Maxymilliano(m): 9:34pm On Jan 12, 2013
kunlekunle: lets say the most oligarchic

grin funny you bro, but those undesirable elements in the Oligarchy can sometimes be the bastion of Nigeria's version of what a democrat should be..
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by hardywaltz(m): 10:51am On Jan 13, 2013
@ OP, sadly yes

1 Like

Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by dridowu: 10:56am On Jan 13, 2013
Truly dy are democratic within d party but dy are democrazy on we NIGERIANS
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by Abbycite(m): 10:59am On Jan 13, 2013
Sometimes I pity my country....as far as am concern, we are running one-party system in dis country...imagine d so called opposition parties are even worse than d ruling party...we find it hard to vote for the alternate parties because they are running d same ideology which is 'no integrity'. I still believe in d Pdp led government...'cos d devil I know is better than d one I don't know
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by antontech(m): 11:21am On Jan 13, 2013
Pls hw do i register to become a member of PDP in my location.pls help
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by Exponental(m): 11:40am On Jan 13, 2013
What an irony
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by labbyboi(m): 11:56am On Jan 13, 2013
Can somebody tell me if dere's anoda definition 4 democracy already b4 I can contribute??
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by Goddex: 1:09pm On Jan 13, 2013
PDP remains the better devil altogether.

1 Like

Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by LagosBoi2(m): 1:41pm On Jan 13, 2013
pdp my foot, since the years they have been ruling our country, everything keep getting worse, nothing is getting better.

There is party in fighting in all political parties but their ability to provide a working candidate is what we can only appreciate, not democrazy in parties, if they like they should use military, all we want is results.
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by ImpactWorld(m): 2:19pm On Jan 13, 2013
@ all, the op is specific about internal democracy. Are candidates duly elected or handpicked?
Well I know most Nigerians remain biased on every issue along tribal and religious lines.
In reality, the op is so right. The ACN has the worst internal democracy. Tinubu handpicks all the candidates.
If you disagree, pls give details of how elections held for any position in ACN both primaries and party positions.
And no, I am not a politician neither do I support any party.
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by Alxmyr(m): 2:33pm On Jan 13, 2013
antontech: Pls hw do i register to become a member of PDP in my location.pls help
Go to your ward. Ask when they will be having their party meeting. There you can meet the chairman of your ward and collect membership form.
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by Teejayphillip(m): 2:41pm On Jan 13, 2013
Whu dash dem... I laff dem in chinese language grin grin grin
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by takedat(m): 3:37pm On Jan 13, 2013
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by earthgreeners(m): 5:20pm On Jan 13, 2013
The selection of Dickson in Bayelsa State, the 2 undemocratic PDP primaries conducted in Ogun State (at MKO stadium, Isiaka, and OBJ library (Olurin)) are enough to prove the undemocratic nature of the PDP....

NO, the PDP is the most undemocratic party in Nigeria...
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by luluosas(m): 9:21pm On Jan 13, 2013
PDP is the most 'undemocratic' party in Nigeria today. They are only relevance through their continuous rigging of elections and the acceptability of their manipulations by the Nigerian citizens.
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by stupor(m): 2:05am On Jan 14, 2013
The post should have been :

Is PDP the most 'dramatic' party in Nigeria ?
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by gunuvi(m): 7:02am On Jan 14, 2013
ACN leadership never changes. I have never witnessed any acn primaries even fashola getting his second term was not through any primaries. To me, I think pdp is a better evil as regards internal democracy.
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by LagosBoi2(m): 2:19pm On Jan 14, 2013
[quote
author=gunuvi]ACN leadership never changes. I have never witnessed any
acn primaries even fashola getting his second term was not through any
primaries. To me, I think pdp is a better evil as regards internal
democracy. [/quote]

you are wrong, is Fashola not working? that's what matters most not been ''dramatic'' in the party.
Re: Is PDP The Most Democratic Party In Nigeria? by gunuvi(m): 2:33pm On Jan 14, 2013
Lagos_Boi:

you are wrong, is Fashola not working? that's what matters most not been ''dramatic'' in the party.
That's another topic entirely. We are discussing internal democracy not performance of Governors. Please see an optician asap.

(1) (Reply)

Governor Rotimi Amaechi Needs Our Help And Prayers / Breaking News : Military helicopter Crashes In Yola / Jonathan’s Second Term Declaration Callous, Insensitive -APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.