Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead (8668 Views)

Agip Oil Pipeline Explosion In Bayelsa , 3 Feared Dead / Amnesty Office Seeks Presidential Nod To Disarm Arepo Pipeline Vandals, Others / Militant Group Claims Responsibility For Delta Pipeline Explosion- PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by citizenisb: 9:48pm On Jan 12, 2013
Atleast 10 suspected vandals were, Saturday, feared dead in an explosion that rocked the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation,NNPC, pipeline at Arepo village, Owode, Ogun State.

Vanguard gathered that the explosion came following a fire which was sparked off by some vandals who stormed the creeks by boat to siphon fuel from the NNPC pipeline.

Arepo was the scene of the killing of three NNPC officials by vandals last year. One of the survivors of Saturday’s incident was said to have participated in the officials murder.

There were fears, that damage to the pipeline could worsen petrol scarcity as it supplies the product from Atlas Cove Jetty in Lagos to other South-West states.

Eyewitness account stated that the explosion came after an argument erupted between two of the vandals who were struggling to siphon fuel from the pipeline and it resulted into a heated argument that made one of them who was armed with a rifle to shoot indiscriminately into the air.Vanguard learnt that bullets from the rifle hit the ruptured pipeline and led to an explosion.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/10-feared-dead-at-arepo-pipeline-explosion/
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by koolet: 11:29am On Jan 13, 2013
grin first of all i laff ...

If atall an eye witness saw all these TRAGillegal scene such fictious being must be detained

2 Likes

Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Horlawoomey(m): 11:29am On Jan 13, 2013
That is a good and bad news combined. Well, I CAME 2ND AGAIN . . . . . HURRAY ! ! !
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by omarky(m): 11:32am On Jan 13, 2013
Its a pity......, Lesson 4 others
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Freezle(m): 11:32am On Jan 13, 2013
Nigeria has to do something about this pipeline explosion
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 13, 2013
Greedy folks, instead of taking it turn by turn.

1 Like

Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 13, 2013
asan lori asan......money money money.......God Take control
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Ninilowo(m): 11:37am On Jan 13, 2013
Die. Traitor die!
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Builder: 11:39am On Jan 13, 2013
Horlawoomey: That is a good and bad news combined. Well, I CAME 2ND AGAIN . . . . . HURRAY ! ! !

10 people roasted to death and u claiming an achievement in being the second person to comment ... smh
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by koolet: 11:42am On Jan 13, 2013
Freezle: Nigeria has to do something about this pipeline explosion
lol i laff.. plz wats d possible solutions?? Fire estinguishing amenities ?? Abeg m all ears
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by billynoni(m): 11:43am On Jan 13, 2013
Everyday is 4 d thief,1 day is 4 d owner...............I laff in spanish

1 Like

Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by tope24(m): 11:45am On Jan 13, 2013
This folks are way too greedy. God help us.
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Ramtzy: 11:56am On Jan 13, 2013
Disaster struck early yesterday morning at Arepo Village, Owode in Ogun State when a fire outbreak roasted no fewer than 30 suspected vandals allegedly siphoning petroleum products from a ruptured Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) pipeline. Sunday Sun learnt that the fire which started at about 2am was sparked off by vandals who were arguing over who is eligible to fetch from the ruptured pipeline.

It was in the heat of the argument that one of them accidentally released a bullet that led to several explosions. However, operatives of the Inspector General of Police Special Task Force on Anti-Pipeline Vandalism Unit, Force Headquarters Annex, Lagos, who were on patrol rushed to the scene to avert further disaster. Sunday Sun learnt that it was in the process that they arrested a medical doctor, Dr Adegboyega (first name withheld by us) and one of the survivors Sunday Reuben on their way to the hospital.

Dr Adegboyega was alleged to be smuggling one of the survivor, who happens to be a vandal to his private clinic for treatment. Confirming the arrest, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Friday Ibadin, who is in charge of the Task Force, said that the explosion started at about 2am on Saturday. “Shortly after the explosion, policemen led by Sector Commander, Lagos, DSP Onaghise Osayande, cordoned off the area to reduce casualties while they awaited the arrival of fire fighters to put out the fire.

It was in the process that they stumbled into a jeep carrying one of the survivors and a medical doctor who was on his way to the hospital. In the course of interrogation, we discovered that the survivor was one of those who participated in the killing of those NNPC officials last year. “Sometime in August, 2012, there was a firebreak which was caused by suspected vandals who burst the pipeline to siphon petroleum products at Arepo Village.” Ibadin said: “Fire fighters are on the ground while we have provided adequate security for any unforeseen attack.

Meanwhile most of the survivors are on the run knowing full well that they are criminals. Reuben is currently receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital”. Groaning in pain, Reuben sobbed that so many of them who were blown away by the explosion where still alive and dying. In his words: “I was in my house when Suleiman my friend called me that there is a job at Arepo creeks.

He asked me to look for a canoe and come with as many gallons as I can carry. Shortly after I arrived, I saw people arguing while some were fighting before I heard a gun shot. The next thing was an explosion. I was lucky that I wasn’t close to the ruptured pipeline. It was the heat of the fire that affected me. I managed to run to my boat where my mother was waiting. Iya Olabode, our neighbour called a doctor who was about taking me to the hospital when we were arrested by the police.” When asked the number of persons at the creek, Reuben said: “There are so many of us both men and women.

We are more than 30 persons over there and most of them are still inside that fire. Most of them are still in the creeks dying, please help them.”’ Meanwhile, the medical doctor, Adegboyega who is currently battling to exonerate himself insists that he was simply acting according to his oath to protect life. He claimed that he was invited by a customer, Iya Olabode to attend to a patient in her house at Abule Oba, Ikorodu area of Lagos. “I have been a family doctor to Iya Olabode for the past three years.

So when she called me that there is an emergency, I quickly rushed to her house where I saw Reuben badly burnt. I advised her that we should take the man to my clinic for better treatment. We were on our way when the police accosted us”, the doctor explained. Sunday Sun reports that Doctor Adeboyega was given an opportunity to call Iya Olabode to help vindicate him but he got the shock of his life when he called Iya Olabode on phone to come and help him.

It was gathered that her reply was: “Doctor, I don’t know what you are talking about. I only asked you to come and treat a patient and make money. You want me to come and also be arrested because I allowed a pipeline vandal to stay in my house”. Iya Olabode later switched off her phone. Meanwhile, scarcity of fuel looms in Lagos and Ogun state as NNPC has since stopped the flow of PMS through Arepo pipeline pending when the ruptured pipeline would be repaired.

When contacted, the Information Officer of the National Emergency Agency (NEMA), Mr Ibrahim Farinloye told Sunday Sun that only the agency and the NNPC knew the exact route to the scene of the fire, adding that none of the two outfits could access the area as at yesterday evening.

He said that the exact number of casualties was yet to be ascertained and hinted that NEMA and the NNPC would visit the scene of the fire today at about 9 am for accurate assessment of the incident. He said that the supply from the area had been stopped to,“suffocate the fire.” The NEMA spokesman appealed to Nigerians to see oil pipelines as their property and protect them against vandals pointing out that the same pipelines had been vandalized about four times.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/30-die-in-pipeline-fire/

Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by OmerianConsult: 12:22pm On Jan 13, 2013
Next...
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by koolet: 12:27pm On Jan 13, 2013
Hmn As wise as da devil.. it was a gloomy Trap unknown to D covetous beings jst 2 take dia life smh sad
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by victorD3: 12:35pm On Jan 13, 2013
Hilarious

Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by brownlord: 12:40pm On Jan 13, 2013
It's our property so we are fetching it, since govt can not provide what we want,

1 Like

Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by chamberlin1(m): 12:41pm On Jan 13, 2013
Na wa oooo. Greed, betrayal,stupidity, wickedness, are the root causes of the dramatic sad event. May dia soul rest in peace. What would they tell God about how they died. The doctor should be freed jor!!! He took an oath to preserve life be it a criminals life or not. That should take care of any charge of aiding and abbating crime
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Digriz(m): 12:47pm On Jan 13, 2013
if he survives it, any where he hear owo dey..he wld bolt wtout looking back even if na real genuine job.
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by redsun(m): 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2013
Foo-ls.Like flies that follows corpes to the grave.

Suffer really dabaru nigerians senses and "dabarued" senses can never know peace.It is like a never ending vicious circle.
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by hollypagan: 2:14pm On Jan 13, 2013
victorD3: Hilarious
jungle city for jungle people
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by otokx(m): 2:22pm On Jan 13, 2013
and some wonder why the petrol scarcity?
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Teejayphillip(m): 2:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
Hmmmmmm.... Nawah oo.... RIP to dem all...

N i pray dat d good lord comfort d bereaved family
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by benjazy: 2:48pm On Jan 13, 2013
vz
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 13, 2013
I wish the casualties are more than this number, they all give excuse on poverty, as if they haven't been surviving all this while.

2 Likes

Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Admonition: 3:16pm On Jan 13, 2013
Brother and sister JESUS is the answer to everything in life. We need to give our life to our MASTER for it shall be well with us bountifully.

1 Like

Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by faporori24: 3:34pm On Jan 13, 2013
Builder:

10 people roasted to death and u claiming an achievement in being the second person to comment ... smh

I second that man that happy about this all stealing fuel in Nigeria today those bastard at NNPC blame vandalism for it
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by tomzman: 4:49pm On Jan 13, 2013
That serves them right. Let them continue the roasting with the devil in hell.
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 13, 2013
I wanna ask something cry

Why is it that at every broken pipeline site, there is always one of the following ediots:

1. Someone who throws a knockout and tries to scare everyone off the scene
2. Someone who finds the moment convenient to have a cigarette
3. Someone with a firearm who coincidentally brings it to a pipeline site, and always eventually shoots it.
4. Someone with a metal bucket who struggles with another fellow with one and both metal buckets cause a spark.
5. Someone with a lighter or matches who always finds it convenient to strike it at the scene of the pipeline.
6. Someone who finds the moment convenient to start a fire to prepare a meal

When you take ediots to a broken pipeline site, this is what you will get. cry

It takes only a wise person to successesfully steal fuel from a broken pipeline.
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by sirp2007: 5:02pm On Jan 13, 2013
I still wonder how people risk their lives for peanuts.
how many gallons could he had carried with his canoe,
9ja`s problem still remains lack of wisdom.
least l 4get,pls d dr should be freed.
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by fortune1968: 6:04pm On Jan 13, 2013
Horlawoomey: That is a good and bad news combined. Well, I CAME 2ND AGAIN . . . . . HURRAY ! ! !
e be like say u no get work ooo.
Re: Arepo Pipeline Explosion, 10 Feared Dead by alameenLM(m): 6:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
brownlord: It's our property so we are fetching it, since govt can not provide what we want,
i swear I laffed hard @ this comment smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Friday Declared Holiday In Borno As Jonathan Visits / Gov Jang Defends State’s Security Outfit / BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.