Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? (5557 Views)

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by d1tha1: 8:30pm On Mar 25, 2008
@Combrazor,

While I cant give you the facts right away, I think u are wrong in assuming that “no penny” of the UK/foreign NOLLYWOOD (N-wood) channels flow back to the local N-wood industry undecided. Consider the following:

1. N-wood movies are produced and distributed by studios, producers,etc.  which are represented by umbrella associations. I do not honestly think that the foreign N-Wood channels just buy the DVDs in "Lagos go-slow" and air them for a fee without any recourse to the producers and distributors. Do you think the producers/associations would know about this and not request for royalties? The royalties may be meagre but I am inclined to think that the “industry” gets some of the revenues.

2. While laws are not enforced in Nigeria, foreign TV channels broadcasting n-wood movies operate in countries where laws ARE enforced and so companies do take care to be sure they are doing the right thing. Do you think that the promoters would take the chance of being sued for millions of pounds by one “small” Nigerian producer in Naija or UK courts for piracy (i.e. commercial broadcasting of material without the rights to do so),  International law makes suing them possible and all a Nigerian producers need to do is get one smart UK lawyer that will sue their asses cool. I don’t think they are stupid enough to take that chance of losing millions when they can just pay the meagre royalties upfront. That’s not how to run a business. smiley

3. Even if for some absurd reason they were just buying DVDs off the street, ISNT THE REVENUE FROM SUCH PURCHASES GOING BACK TO NOLLYWOOD? (Abi, u assuming that it is their Nigerian relatives that are bringing FREE movies from naija?  tongue Is that how to run a business??)

So, do u still have the tower to sell? wink
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Dreloaded(f): 8:49pm On Mar 25, 2008
I cant wait til VCDs become obselete.

Too bad d indian one is too stupid its like u are watching someone dancing from d beginning to the end, d chinese is not worth talking about apart from Jackie Chans own, and the American/foreign one, the only thing that is helping it survive is their constant advertising and portraying it as something good, and the only ones that are actually worth watching is the Black Hollywood ones. Men those guys are good

You obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about. You wouldnt know a good movie even if it gave you a blow to the face.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by d1tha1: 10:50pm On Mar 25, 2008
@Combrazor,

combrazor:

d1tha1 -

Here are the facts smiley:

1. Excerpt from Nollywood Moves (SKY channel 331) website:

Welcome to Nollywood movies! The Home of Nollywood.
Nollywood Movies is the first Nigerian 24 hour movie channel to launch on sky platform. Our primary aim is to bring into as many homes as possible the best of the Nigerian movie industry officially known as Nollywood, which is the 3rd largest film producing country in the world after Hollywood and Bollywood.

Nollywood movies will reach many homes on the sky digital platform across the United Kingdom and Ireland from January 2008,

, NOLLYWOOD MOVIES ACQUIRE RIGHTS TO ALL OUR CONTENTS DIRECTLY FROM THE RIGHTFUL CONTENT OWNERS wink. Majority of our movies will be in English language and few indigenous movies with English subtitle. All films will go through quality control before broadcast.

We desire to make our good become better and better become the best Movie Channel.

http://www.nollywoodmovies.tv/about-us.php

2. Excerpt from digitalspy.com
Nigerian movie channel to launch in UK
Saturday, July 15 2006, 04:52 BST

A new channel dedicated to Nigerian movies is planning to launch in January.

THE PROJECT COMES FROM ZENITHFILMS, A DISTRIBUTOR OF NIGERIAN PROGRAMMING TO AIRLINES wink. The proposed channel would air the so-called "Nollywood" films 24 hours a day on Sky.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a34898/nigerian-movie-channel-to-launch-in-uk.html

Think I’m still speculating? cool These channels cant just start commercial broadcast in UK without during it right, and so they must acquire the content rights. Its not rocket-science! undecided

combrazor:

do the math.

they buy a DVD off the street for, what? N500, 600? that's what? a little bit over 2 pounds maybe?

and then they go back to London and air this DVD on cable, on a channel they are charging subscribers 5 pounds a month to watch?

and thousands of people are subscribing to this channel, right? let's assume it's 2000 people paying 5 pounds a month. that means that in ONE month, they have grossed 10,000 pounds based off of the 2 pounds they spent on the DVD.*

and you think that amounts to "putting revenue back into Nollywood"?

if you DO believe that, well . . . i also own a big white house in Washington DC that i want to sell to you!

Wait, how much do u think it costs to make a nollywood movie? Not much I can tell u so the naija producers/distributors are obviously happy to retail at N300 otherwise they wont be in business. If a UK broadcaster appears to make a lot more for a Nigerian "import" and suposedly makes a killing from it then more grease to them cos they have identified a good business. Everyone is happy! grin After all in UK ijebu garri, yam,and knorr cubes,etc, from naija is more than 5 times more expensive than their equivalent price in naija so should all market women and farm producers feel cheated

At any rate, YOUR math is faulty because you dont even know how much the UK stations pay for licenses and infrastructure and most of all TAXES! shocked. Plus, a good businessman who knows that his product sells at a higher price abroad, will most def charge a higher "export" price for it. Point: am sure n-wood producers know that there movies sell higher in UK and charge UK broadcasters accoridngly so they definitely make some good money from UK broadcasting.

So, my guy, it is NOT true that NO PENNY from the UK goes back to the n-wood and the royalties may in fact be signifcant. wink Revenue goes back to n-wood.

Got something else to sell? wink
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by mystikal(m): 8:04am On Mar 26, 2008
I'm completely enjoying the match up between Combrazor & d1 Tha1, Its fun & educating & I'm learning for myself.

I'm all for making Nollywood better (and just in case, I love the name, why would India be comfortable with "Bollywood"wink, Like someone rightly suggested wouldnt it be cool if these movies are 1st premiered in Cinemas before general public releases. Govts could assist in building cinemas or multiplexes around, That was part of India's Success story. But again it all boils down to quality, as who would want to waste his/her money and time watching this very low quality movie
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by mykali(m): 12:22pm On Mar 26, 2008
for anyone who's been watching nollywood movies for 5 years now knows that it aint going nowhere further than ''amazing grace'' went. so i rather watch the chinese pirated ''20 in 1'' dvds. the english makes me lauf. grin
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by d1tha1: 2:19pm On Mar 26, 2008
@Combrazor,

Whatever you say, man! U are free to yab all u want! smiley

Point proven: IT IS NOT TRUE THAT NO PENNY OF THE UK BROADCAST OF NOLLYWOOD MOVIES GOES BACK TO THE INDUSTRY AS REVENUES. wink

PS: And so u ain't got nothing to sell wink

I rest my case smiley
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Dreloaded(f): 2:31pm On Mar 26, 2008
Lmao. Comb, jo. Calm down.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by d1tha1: 2:50pm On Mar 26, 2008
combrazor:

you should have rested your case earlier than that, before you started running your mouth and saying things that only made you look foolish.

no amount of trying to shrug it off by claiming that i am "yabbing" you will change that, either . . . they're your words, and you have to take accountability for them!

Ah! grin The classic nairaland response of turning to personal attacks when there are no further arguements in support of a point. grin

Hope it at leats makes u feel good about yourself.

Best of luck , son.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Dreloaded(f): 3:01pm On Mar 26, 2008
where are the personal attacks?  
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by d1tha1: 3:02pm On Mar 26, 2008
oops, some1's getting angry here, smiley
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Dreloaded(f): 3:11pm On Mar 26, 2008
The flow was broken really.

it was supposed to be da1tha1's turn to response to your rebuttal about the topic, instead like most people decided to just cry wolf about personal attacks

Oh well.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Dreloaded(f): 3:20pm On Mar 26, 2008
Dont blame you. The discussion was getting interesting though undecided

watched NCFOM yet?
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Dreloaded(f): 3:24pm On Mar 26, 2008
I'll be expecting a review in that other thread! tongue
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by d1tha1: 3:38pm On Mar 26, 2008
OK, @Combrazor, in the interest of peace lets discuss my statements, ok?: smiley

combrazor:

and then throw in if you will the difference in the mark-up between yam and garri and a N300 video that is beamed to hundreds or thousands of subscribers paying 5 pounds each. and then factor in the fact that generally, a client broadcasting such an intellectual property for commercial purposes does not purchase it at the retail price.

My referene to ijebu garri, etc, was just a comical (hence the  grin) way of driving home a point which u fail to see:  home videos are generally more expensive in the UK because of the desire of nigerians abroad to watch something from home which they dont get easily. And homevideos are an "import" to the UK so one really cant expect it to be priced the same.

combrazor:

i happen to know how much it costs

Do you really? Ok, please tell us how much it costs to make a n-wood movie and provide facts. Until u provide facts as i did, u have no basis for claiming to have rebuffed my statements on this point. It has nothing to do with how I roll.

combrazor:

that's the reason why a single movie is routinely split into two--and these days, even FOUR and FIVE--parts in order to recoup the production costs, which are much higher than you probably think.

So the real retail price of a full n-wood movie of 4 0r 5 parts at N300 each is N1200 or N1500. It also means the n-wood guys have found a way to make profits (i.e.by selling in many parts). I would say in the final analysis, N1200 per cd for one movie prodcution is satisfactory to them which is why they are still in buiness. This can be argued a million ways so u cant really claim to have rebuffed this point.

combrazor:

and then throw in if you will the difference in the mark-up between yam and garri and a N300 video that is beamed to hundreds or thousands of subscribers paying 5 pounds each. and then factor in the fact that generally, a client broadcasting such an intellectual property for commercial purposes does not purchase it at the retail price.

Chairman, u stil fail to acknowledge that there are infrastructure costs, licensing fees, staff overheads, and TAXES that go into the business process of broadcasting n-wood films in the UK. Your analysis is weak becuase it assumes that there are no additional costs above the "N300" purchase price.

So what arguements have u rebufffed, my good man? Simply declarig that I am runnning my mouth becuase I presented additional perspectives to your comments doesnt make my comments any less true.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by d1tha1: 3:46pm On Mar 26, 2008
D-reloaded:

where are the personal attacks?

@ D-reloaded

here:

combrazor:

you should have rested your case earlier than that, before you started running your mouth and saying things that only made you look foolish.

[/quote]:[quote author=combrazor link=topic=116742.msg2093564#msg2093564 date=1206540856]
i'm quite done responding to this troll, D-reloaded.

In all my responses to @Combrazor, not once did I use inflamatory language or say he/she was "talking nonsense" and "running his/her mouth", or say his original post makes him/her "look foolish". I would say those are personal attacks dont u think? I only provided facts and perspectives.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Dreloaded(f): 3:51pm On Mar 26, 2008
Um No. Dude, those comments were made AFTER all the nonsense

I'm asking for the personal attacks that supposedly caused you not to reply his rebuttal about the Nollywood channel

(1) (2)

"Mudi Goes To School" Cartoon Made By A Nigerian / Wow! So Bran Is The Night King In GoT- Come in here for mad theories. / How Do I Recharge My GOTV ONLINE With The Scratch Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.