Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,496 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 (9712 Views)

ASUU Strike Enters 100 Days, No End In Sight / Nigeria Nation Wide Strike Enters Day Two:no Deal Btw Senate N Labour / Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 6:57am On Jan 19, 2013
Mayoks: Offices of the Nigerian Postal Service (NIPOST) across Nigeria have been under lock and key for a week now and things are not about the change, workers said on Sunday.

The workers embarked on an indefinite strike a week ago to compel the government pay about 69-month salary arrears they claim is owed to NIPOST pensioners.

Hundreds of thousands of mails and parcels remain stuck at post offices across Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation with a big mailing business.

Workers have said that they had given the government many warning notices in the past years but their demands have never been met.

“How can the government owe these old people 69 months salary arrears?” a staff asked, adding, “do they want to kill them?” Gates at various post offices remained locked and plastered with placards and posters on Sunday.

One placards read: “Postmaster General. Accountant General of the Federation, enough is enough. Pay our 69 month pension arrears.”

A staff told our correspondent on Sunday that the strike will continue tomorrow as the government remains unconcerned.

“They are not talking to us. The government is death to our demands. It is an indefinite strike,” he said.

He, however, hinted that with some money, parcels could be claimed through the back door.

“There is nothing money cannot do,” he said. He refused to be identified. But he works at a post office located at Adeola Adeku, Victoria Island, Lagos, southwest Nigeria.

source http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/01/14/pain-as-nigerian-postal-workers-strike-enters-week-2/

A staff?
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by megachuks(m): 7:05am On Jan 19, 2013
Na wa for this Govt self oh
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 7:21am On Jan 19, 2013
This is just wickedness.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Amoda84(m): 7:23am On Jan 19, 2013
Like many Nigerians,I actually believed NIPOST was dead untill I tried them lately.I sent some documents to Finland which normally takes 4days by Fedex at the rate of 14,250 but when I went through NIPOST,it cost me just a meagre 300 naira and this mail got delivered in exactly 10days.infact I also had d opportunity of tracking the said mail.so I think NIPOST might have been dead before,they have suddenly woken up lately.u need to visit NIPOST at ikeja to confirm the level of work done there.

4 Likes

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 7:24am On Jan 19, 2013
Just when I praised EMS at one time for their reliability for prompt delivery of my packages. There is document I sent to the U.S using NIPOST. It's an important document. My transcript for my application for admission. It is yet to be delivered because of this strike. Only God knows if I would meet the deadline now. Pls who knows how long it takes for a sent document to get to the U.S using normal post office mail because that is what I used. I should have used DHL to send it but I wasn't so liquid then.

Yet, It's not just fair to hold workers pensions for a whole 69 months sad but I believe a better way to have gone on the strike was to run skeletal service to clear all posted mail and refuse to accept any new mails that way Nigerians who have sent mails through Nipost would not suffer and those who want to post thru Nipost would use another courier. I think It's high time for the private sector to collect pension money for safe keeping. A percentage should be paid into the pension fund when every salary is paid in a private bank like First Bank etc i.e the reliable ones. But wait a minute isn't that what happened in the Pension scam when someone chopped all the money and they are still in court? bleeped UP COUNTRY. Nigeria is so corrupt. People are always looking for illegitimate ways to cheat other people and they boast about it.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by deepwaters(f): 7:30am On Jan 19, 2013
NIPOST is still existing and working well, and their services are really cheap, even their speedpost and registered mail. I used it often last year. I hope they resolve this issue fast. Many people may have moved on to e-mail, dhl and co, but NIPOST still serves a lot of other people.

2 Likes

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 7:44am On Jan 19, 2013
Nigeria postal service is still active and I do receive packages from them. Someone took those money at the deteriment of these old ones, God punish him

1 Like

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 19, 2013
gboss4sure: Nigeria postal service is still active and I do receive packages from them. Someone took those money at the deteriment of these old ones, God punish him

AMEN and his generation that spend the money with him as well as the kids he uses it to send abroad to HARVARD.AMEN!!!!!
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Lawalemi(m): 7:49am On Jan 19, 2013
I got the shocker on Friday when I got to the Post Office to renew my annual subscription and I found green leaves and placards hanged on the gate. Part of the statements reads: Pay us our 69 months pension arrears!
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Harryfeco: 7:49am On Jan 19, 2013
hey yahi :Dhey yahi
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 7:58am On Jan 19, 2013
NIPOST should be scrapped. The era of government owned mailing system is gone. Its e-mailing and private courier. Government can no longer continue to fund NIPOST when there are alternative and cheaper, more reliable private courier and e-mailing alternatives. How much NIPOST dey generate for Nigeria sef. Abeg, make dem continue the strike for ever. And for those retired NIPOST people,they should proceed to their pensioners and get disengagement emoluments, all these arrears nonsense should stop. We already have too much recurrent expense on the budgets.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by baconline(m): 7:58am On Jan 19, 2013
My parcel has been in d. EMS since two weeks now,I can not pick it up,it has greatly affected my biz.can't I claim damages
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by mu2sa2: 8:07am On Jan 19, 2013
ItsModella: So the postal service still exists? wow!!
Yes NIPOST is still existing and even more efficient; in fact their EMS courier is very reliable. NIPOST is about the only fg parastatal that delivers quality service even better than what u get from some private courier companies.
My fear for the pensioners is that GEJ govt may come out to blame the problem on past govts and itself do nothing to pay these elderly people.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by eduson002(m): 8:13am On Jan 19, 2013
Billyonaire: NIPOST should be scrapped. The era of government owned mailing system is gone. Its e-mailing and private courier. Government can no longer continue to fund NIPOST when there are alternative and cheaper, more reliable private courier and e-mailing alternatives. How much NIPOST dey generate for Nigeria sef. Abeg, make dem continue the strike for ever. And for those retired NIPOST people,they should proceed to their pensioners and get disengagement emoluments, all these arrears nonsense should stop. We already have too much recurrent expense on the budgets.
Just read ur post again and again u will know u made d least sence in this thread.Tell me any courier service dat is cheaper dan Nipost registered service.

3 Likes

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by sosereal201(m): 8:24am On Jan 19, 2013
truth be told.the nipost is just one of the many failures of the fed.govt.even if nipost is not fuctioning anymore i see no reason why the govt should not pay it pensioners these people served when they jad the strenght to serve and now they are old they deserve better treatment from the govt and this even goes a long way to show the level of insensitivity to the citizens by the govt.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Youngzedd(m): 8:26am On Jan 19, 2013
FG make una act fast now cos I know wan hear story for my goods on the way.

FG pay this grandma and pa, u no wan make them follow chop, meanwhile una dey destroy up 1 milion daily for kitchen allowance.

Pls and pls give them their money even if it's cassava bread them go manage.

I don talk my own.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by ITbomb(m): 8:31am On Jan 19, 2013
Billyonaire: NIPOST should be scrapped. The era of government owned mailing system is gone. Its e-mailing and private courier. Government can no longer continue to fund NIPOST when there are alternative and cheaper, more reliable private courier and e-mailing alternatives.
Make govt hand off shei?
When govt wanted to hand off petrol importation , u follow do occupy Nigeria .
NIPOST that is delivering affordable and reliable service should remain pls.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Amoda84(m): 8:40am On Jan 19, 2013
I wanted to ask the same question too.which of the private courier service is cheaper than NIPOST.And again if you think these private courier service don't fail at times,then you've not witnessed there bad side.There are some times mail got delivered far more than the stipulated delivery period.Also do we also know that most of these private couriers don't cover some routes around the world? Yet again,even if some people says NIPOST is inefficient,does that justify in anyway the FG owing pensioneers for 69 months? Almost 6years I must say.This should be condemned!!!
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Amoda84(m): 8:41am On Jan 19, 2013
I wanted to ask the same question too.which of the private courier service is cheaper than NIPOST.And again if you think these private courier service are always reliable,then you haven't witnessed there bad side.There are some times mail got delivered far more than the stipulated delivery period.Also do we also know that most of these private couriers don't cover some routes around the world? Yet again,even if some people says NIPOST is inefficient,does that justify in anyway the FG owing pensioneers for 69 months? Almost 6years I must say.This should be condemned!!!
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by pekelepekele(m): 8:42am On Jan 19, 2013
deenee: Well, NIPOST still exist but I doubt if they can still compete efficiently in the global market place. Their services are also quite cheap too.

One thing though, the FGN is not owning them 69 months salary. This translates into about 5 years of work without pay. What is owed is pension arrears and there is a verification process going on . More so these same worker refused to participate in the electronic verification process thereby making it difficult to authenticate who is eligible for pension or not.

I feel concern for the striking workers but let's get a feel of the global picture before condemning the FG.

U nor well my brother, are you supporting the FG for not paying those old people ?. Is it today that the government have been oweing lot of old folks their pension including those that registered electronically . Nigerian Government is a Failure!
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by drlaykay(m): 8:54am On Jan 19, 2013
This country is messed.the federalgovt nd even d civil servants.
Nipost isn't it at all.
I help people with admission to skul in d US.all documents I sent to the skul (last september)through nipost hung.the skul kept mailing dat they didn't receive any document.all efforts to track d fate of d letter was futile
Reporting back to nipost.I was told my tracking number was changed at the head office nd dey can't trace d new ones.dis made me lose a huge sum.
So,is it d govt that won't pay pension that will improve d system?#am tired mehn#
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by IYANGBALI: 9:20am On Jan 19, 2013
Na who still dey use post office in this 21st century? GEJ abeg pay dem their money
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by nollywood20: 9:36am On Jan 19, 2013
This strike is affecting me o.
Many of my packages from overseas pass through NIPOST.
The Minister and others responsible for this maladministration should be sacked.
God help Nigeria.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by earthgreeners(m): 9:42am On Jan 19, 2013
Billyonaire: NIPOST should be scrapped. The era of government owned mailing system is gone. Its e-mailing and private courier. Government can no longer continue to fund NIPOST when there are alternative and cheaper, more reliable private courier and e-mailing alternatives. How much NIPOST dey generate for Nigeria sef. Abeg, make dem continue the strike for ever. And for those retired NIPOST people,they should proceed to their pensioners and get disengagement emoluments, all these arrears nonsense should stop. We already have too much recurrent expense on the budgets.

Bros, you are so dumb....
Read ur post again, its the most senseless on this thread.....
Instead of u to urge the government to improve the services, you are talking about recurrent expenditure, if the government is truly serious about cutting cost, they shld just reduce the number of ministers, SA, duplicate agencies and departments etc.

How much dem dey spend on Nipost sef, abi dem tell u say USPS and Canadapost dey generate money for them government?
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by earthgreeners(m): 9:50am On Jan 19, 2013

Bros, you are so dumb....
Read ur post again, its the most senseless on this thread.....
Instead of u to urge the government to improve the services, you are talking about recurrent expenditure, if the government is truly serious about cutting cost, they shld just reduce the number of ministers, SA, duplicate agencies and departments etc.

How much dem dey spend on Nipost sef, abi dem tell u say USPS and Canadapost dey generate money for them government?
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by chuks49(m): 9:51am On Jan 19, 2013
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by chuks49(m): 9:52am On Jan 19, 2013
eduson002: Just read ur post again and again u will know u made d least sence in this thread.Tell me any courier service dat is cheaper dan Nipost registered service.

Don't mind him, he always crave to expose his ignorance
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by bodejohn(m): 10:07am On Jan 19, 2013
Some folks here usually talk like kids, the post office service is not only delivery or mails. Their parcel service apart from being cheap can also not be compared with those private companies when it comes to the nook and crannies of the country.

Some of you need to step down your mountains and see the obvious realities around you. That a couple of you can ping and send text messages does not mean that is all it is about.

I was as well shocked to see that the gates of the play office at Dugbe remained shut after the new year's day only to hear the predicament of the pensioners on a popular radio station. The sad thing about the situation is that some of the workers were even retrenched before the mandatory age of retirement.

While I will not blame the government entirely, I think the biggest part of the problem still lies with her. There are countless ways of making the post offices across the nation more profitable than they are now, the government should be doing this until it is privatised if they want to.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by GEJPFOOD: 10:28am On Jan 19, 2013
And our President is busy budgeting Millions of dollars for animal food and food supplement in Aso Rock. God is watching!
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Arosa(m): 10:52am On Jan 19, 2013
NIPOST are thieves, the parcel I sent to naija since November has not yet arrived. They have kidnapped it. angry angry angry
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by vandarsar(m): 10:57am On Jan 19, 2013
Am being affected. My docs weren't delivered and there was no one to talk to at the post office.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Lies And Propaganda Busted Again / 100 Pictures Of Show Your Naäked Wife By Ipob/biafra S / Atiku: We Didn’t Deny PDP Use Of Stadium – Kogi Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.