Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,028 members, 7,821,565 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 (9713 Views)

ASUU Strike Enters 100 Days, No End In Sight / Nigeria Nation Wide Strike Enters Day Two:no Deal Btw Senate N Labour / Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by farem: 11:27am On Jan 19, 2013
Management of Nipost and myopic federal government have bastard Nipost along the years.
Many of their traditional services have been given out to banks and other agencies- giro (money transfers). JAPANESE POSTAL IS BIGGER THAN ALL OUR ACCO BANKS AND EMPLOYS THOUSANDS OF JAPANESE- I mean it is a money power!. This is just because their government never plays with it. Nipost failure is a reflection of Nigeria government failure, tribalism, corruption and nepotism in civil service. Our Government can kill anything, remember NITEL?!
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Bebetter: 1:33pm On Jan 19, 2013
[size=24pt]Sorry NIPOST the "Cheese" has moved! email rules... [/size]
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by SKYQUEST(m): 1:51pm On Jan 19, 2013
farem: Management of Nipost and myopic federal government have bastard Nipost along the years.
Many of their traditional services have been given out to banks and other agencies- giro (money transfers). JAPANESE POSTAL IS BIGGER THAN ALL OUR ACCO BANKS AND EMPLOYS THOUSANDS OF JAPANESE- I mean it is a money power!. This is just because their government never plays with it. Nipost failure is a reflection of Nigeria government failure, tribalism, corruption and nepotism in civil service. Our Government can kill anything, remember NITEL?!

Our Government is not the one killing anything, we are. Apologies to these old men being owed, but have NIPOST staff and its management worked hard enough to really deserve this pension? How much revenue have they generated over the years to make NIPOST a viable entity? Mtel operated in the same environment where MTN, ECONET and GLO did, but it died a natural death, because it was related to government and because of 'we no de sweat for government work' mentality, Look at all these other government parastatals and agencies from PHCN to water board, they are suppose to be cash cow given opportunities available to them, but alas, government will still have to pay huge sum to either pay salaries or severance to their staff. At least, a responsible entity should be able to generate funds to cover even if it is only its overheads. Government should be bold enough to privatise and hands off all these non critical agencies, that is the only way to make them responsible!

1 Like

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 19, 2013
Nothing works in this country, I sent two different parcel domestic and international since on the 2nd
Of this month and non ha been delivered. I wonder why they av to collect when they are planning to go on strike.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Originalsly: 1:54pm On Jan 19, 2013
12 inches!:
Just when I praised EMS at one time for their reliability for prompt delivery of my packages. There is document I sent to the U.S using NIPOST. It's an important document. My transcript for my application for admission. It is yet to be delivered because of this strike. Only God knows if I would meet the . Pls who knows how long it takes for a sent document to get to the U.S using normal post office mail because that is what I used. I should have used DHL to send it but I wasn't so liquid then.
It depends on how you send it.If you use express it will be delivered the next day it arrives in the US. However you send a parcel...express, priority or first class...it will be delivered faster but always make sure it has a tracking label and your name and return address. FYI....did you know most of DHL parcels are delivered by the US Postal Service? Unipost is not outdated as many say...it is in sync with those of the US and other developed countries.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by adetwin(m): 2:34pm On Jan 19, 2013
Is this a good SIGN for better change ? Pension Money just 10k per month never reach "Money Bankole owe Nigeria" Make GOD help Us All !
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by CARLISTO77(m): 5:13pm On Jan 19, 2013
12 inches!:
Just when I praised EMS at one time for their reliability for prompt delivery of my packages. There is document I sent to the U.S using NIPOST. It's an important document. My transcript for my application for admission. It is yet to be delivered because of this strike. Only God knows if I would meet the deadline now. Pls who knows how long it takes for a sent document to get to the U.S using normal post office mail because that is what I used. I should have used DHL to send it but I wasn't so liquid then.

Yet, It's not just fair to hold workers pensions for a whole 69 months sad but I believe a better way to have gone on the strike was to run skeletal service to clear all posted mail and refuse to accept any new mails that way Nigerians who have sent mails through Nipost would not suffer and those who want to post thru Nipost would use another courier. I think It's high time for the private sector to collect pension money for safe keeping. A percentage should be paid into the pension fund when every salary is paid in a private bank like First Bank etc i.e the reliable ones. But wait a minute isn't that what happened in the Pension scam when someone chopped all the money and they are still in court? bleeped UP COUNTRY. Nigeria is so corrupt. People are always looking for illegitimate ways to cheat other people and they boast about it.

Be it a parcel or normal letter, it takes 7 working days for delivery...
Their rates and services are affordable and trackable...
Ultimately, Nipost have upgraded their services...I ceased to use EMS long while ago.
If not for their strike, your parcel would've been delivered without helms of problem to you.
I wish you good lucks.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jan 19, 2013
Billyonaire: NIPOST should be scrapped. The era of government owned mailing system is gone. Its e-mailing and private courier. Government can no longer continue to fund NIPOST when there are alternative and cheaper, more reliable private courier and e-mailing alternatives. How much NIPOST dey generate for Nigeria sef. Abeg, make dem continue the strike for ever. And for those retired NIPOST people,they should proceed to their pensioners and get disengagement emoluments, all these arrears nonsense should stop. We already have too much recurrent expense on the budgets.

You don't use Nipost so you wont know their value.

2 Likes

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Originalsly: 8:18pm On Jan 19, 2013
Billyonaire: NIPOST should be scrapped. The era of government owned mailing system is gone. Its e-mailing and private courier. Government can no longer continue to fund NIPOST when there are alternative and cheaper, more reliable private courier and e-mailing alternatives. How much NIPOST dey generate for Nigeria sef. Abeg, make dem continue the strike for ever. And for those retired NIPOST people,they should proceed to their pensioners and get disengagement emoluments, all these arrears nonsense should stop. We already have too much recurrent expense on the budgets.
Can you name 5 countries in the world that scrapped their postal service? Do you have a clue how much it costs to post by UPS,Fedex or DHL? Do you know these companies operate mainly in big cities and outsource out of town mail? Do you know the Postal Service in any country is not supposed to make a profit? Since you want it scrapped because it is not making a profit would you also recommend the Fire Sercice be scrapped? Look before you leap.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by olu4life(m): 11:32pm On Jan 19, 2013
Some of u are so ignorant esp Billygoat or whatever. NIPOST is very efficient and i know the benefits have achieved from it. Most of u think life is all about pinging,e mail etc but i tell u when u need to mail something very crucial,then u will appreciate NIPOST. Concerning the pension,govt should please pay up. My mum is also affected. Do u think its easy staying without their pension for years?! She was also telling me and my peeps that the Head of NIPOST has vouched not to pay them,u can just imagine the thrash. This strike has been the longest so far and i think they will achieve their aim. I know of some of these people who died in the struggle of getting this pension. So STFU if u know nothing about it. I will never forget the help rendered by these postal service during my university days
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Mallow: 11:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
Dis is bad news. I ws xpectin a letter frm my company by monday embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by surveycash(m): 1:13am On Jan 20, 2013
So, how have they been surviving? shocked shocked
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by letustalk(m): 1:18am On Jan 20, 2013
This is not good at all. No wonder my two parcels from Hongkong are yet to arrive. Please pay these guys their pension. Whether they made profit or not is not the issue, the issue is that since they were retained till the end in their employments and it is a part of their employment terms, their pensions should just be paid them. However, if there is an electronic verification process which is not been followed by some of them, then it is difficult and suspicious for them to complain of been owed, although i know that not all been owed refused to participate in the verification process IMO.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by mbulela: 6:12am On Jan 20, 2013
Mad Cow: But wait o!

Does NIPOST still work!?

Whenever I drive past their headquarters in Port Harcourt, the place looks dead.. I even thought squatters had taken over the place...

When was the last time anybody recieved a mail via NIPOST!?

If NIPOST still exists, what exactly do they do there because everybody now uses electronic mail for letters and courier services like DHL and UPS for packages..

Next think I will hear is that Water Works are on strike..
stop exposing your ignorance in public. Not only does NIPOST work and is the most efficient govt agency around, it is still used by a lot of people. I have been a faithful and regular user of its services over the last 15 years and i have never been disappointed. Infact its EMS services makes more sense than even DHL. NIPOST is tested and trusted. In saner societies the late Post Master General that dies in an air disaster would have been immortalized. The man did such good works that it has been impossible for his successors to undo.
While a parcel of mine is stuck in transit due to this strike,i remain a big fan of the organisation.Govt is dealing it a bad hand, yet they are doing well above average.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by mbulela: 6:22am On Jan 20, 2013
Fame333: Nothing works in this country, I sent two different parcel domestic and international since on the 2nd
Of this month and non ha been delivered. I wonder why they av to collect when they are planning to go on strike.
The closure of the post offices were not done in sync. Some were still delivering and receiving while others were under lock and key. Besides,the workers thought govt would sort out their ex-colleagues within a day or two.
I have a parcel stuck in transit since the 28th of December.
these things happen,as bad as they are. No one else to blame but govt.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by mbulela: 6:24am On Jan 20, 2013
Bebetter: [size=24pt]Sorry NIPOST the "Cheese" has moved! email rules... [/size]
attention seeking daftness.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by mbulela: 6:45am On Jan 20, 2013
Amoda84: Like many Nigerians,I actually believed NIPOST was dead untill I tried them lately.I sent some documents to Finland which normally takes 4days by Fedex at the rate of 14,250 but when I went through NIPOST,it cost me just a meagre 300 naira and this mail got delivered in exactly 10days.infact I also had d opportunity of tracking the said mail.so I think NIPOST might have been dead before,they have suddenly woken up lately.u need to visit NIPOST at ikeja to confirm the level of work done there.
Welcome to the club.
Ever since the days of that Post Master General that died in the plane crash, NIPOST has been alive.
That man did well.
I send a Parcel to Down Under and it arrived after 10 working days. Regular surface mail.
I have enough testimonies.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by SKYQUEST(m): 7:09am On Jan 21, 2013
mbulela: The closure of the post offices were not done in sync. Some were still delivering and receiving while others were under lock and key. Besides,the workers thought govt would sort out their ex-colleagues within a day or two.
I have a parcel stuck in transit since the 28th of December.
these things happen,as bad as they are. No one else to blame but govt.

At least you post your opinion and I was able to read it; at least that one worked. You are wrong, things are taking shape in Nigeria.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by favour27: 3:32pm On Jan 22, 2013
please does anyone know if nipost Enugu is on strike?
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by vandarsar(m): 9:22pm On Jan 28, 2013
Anyone knows if the strike has been suspended ??
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by eduson002(m): 11:32pm On Jan 28, 2013
vandarsar: Anyone knows if the strike has been suspended ??
If u need to send documents urgently,go to their airport office(NAHCO building)
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by ojuola1(f): 12:55pm On Jan 29, 2013
Is there any hope of this strike being cancelled this week?
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by vandarsar(m): 9:00pm On Jan 29, 2013
Am not sending anything, Just wanna check my package's status with them. I sent it out since 3th of Dec, 2012 and the skool hasnt got it up till now, at least I want it returned to me if not deliverable. The school have collected my friend's parcel which was sent a week after have sent mine.

eduson002: If u need to send documents urgently,go to their airport office(NAHCO building)
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by eduson002(m): 12:06am On Jan 30, 2013
[quote author=vandarsar]Am not sending anything, Just wanna check my package's status with them. I sent it out since 3th of Dec, 2012 and the skool hasnt got it up till now, at least I want it returned to me if not deliverable. The school have collected my friend's parcel which was sent a week after have sent mine.

I believe d documents are photocopies.make other co
pies and send 2ru their office at Airport.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by letustalk(m): 2:57pm On Jan 31, 2013
i just heard unconfirmed reports that they are now working. Can someone please help to confirm this?
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by ojuola1(f): 1:23pm On Feb 01, 2013
letustalk: i just heard unconfirmed reports that they are now working. Can someone please help to confirm this?
Yes I received a package from Nipost today.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Divineuche1: 6:41am On Feb 06, 2013
i was surpose to travel out of dis country bt i hv nt recieve my i.v pacels,infact i dnt knw wia dis country is driven us to
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by adconline(m): 10:11am On Feb 06, 2013

Always blaming the working class and the poor for out economic woes. Govt owned post offices are still vibrant and active in EU and US. Last time I checked, govt is not a PLC, but has a social contract with its citizens. If someone worked for 69months, it's time they get paid handsomely for their labour.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by tpia5: 11:05am On Dec 11, 2013
Why did we not hear when the strike was called off?
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by afubero4sweet(m): 3:40pm On Jul 31, 2014
pls someone help me something was sent through canadapost and it has not being delieved to me pls anybody help me

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria To Get 3m Euros From Germany For Procurement Of Military Equipment / Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere / Can Tinubu And Atiku Get 25% Of The Votes In Rivers State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.