Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? (14450 Views)

PHCN Official Electrocuted On A Pole At Police College In Lagos (Photos) / Northern Elders Fault Jonathan’s Comment About Statesmen / Pictures Of The Nigerian Police College, Ikeja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by jege456: 11:40am On Jan 19, 2013
His visit? Belated and reactionary.

Furthermore, how can he say it is a smear campaign when the facts are clear for all to see?

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by kkkp: 11:45am On Jan 19, 2013
grin grin lipsrsealed
[/quote][quote author=C me o]President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday surprised the authorities of the Lagos State Police Command when he paid an unscheduled visit to the Police College, Ikeja. With the President were the Assistant Inspector-General of Police, Zone 2, Mr. Mamaah Tsafe; the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Umar Manko and other military and air force officers. Jonathan, who arrived at the college premises at about 3 pm, immediately proceeded on an inspection tour of the hostels, college kitchen, dining hall and the Officers’ Mess. For the college authorities, the visit was nothing short of an embarrassment as the commandant of the college, CP I.F. Yerima was unable to tell the President how and when Channels TV filmed the decay in the college. In an attempt to salvage the situation, Yerima had turned to his deputy and other senior officers of the college for assistance but all kept mute.

Enraged, Jonathan declared the documentary by the TV station a smear campaign. He said, “This is a calculated attempt to damage the image of this government. The Police College, Ikeja is not the only training institution in Nigeria.”

Meanwhile, a crowd of recruits, who had gathered to catch a glimpse of the President, hailed him repeatedly for his visit. They said, “Our number one President, the God sent President, the President of Nigeria, among others.” Jonathan acknowledged the cheers by raising his right hand. However, a senior police officer of the college told Saturday PUNCH on the condition of anonymity that the decay in the college began more than a decade ago.

http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-pays-surprise-visit-to-ikeja-police-college/

To me, I see as the most careless statement I have ever heard from him in recent times, afterall the picture attached to the news shows that the report is true.
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Sagamite(m): 11:48am On Jan 19, 2013
C me o:
To me, I see as the most careless statement I have ever heard from him in recent times, afterall the picture attached to the news shows that the report is true.

Make you no let me insult you o!

This is the most careless statement from Jonathan? Are you serious.

My friend, this is the typical statement from the person Nigerians voted for because his name is Goodluck and he has had luck getting to presidency so he would bring them luck. grin

These kinds of statements are normal and expected from the cretin!

4 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by smakati(m): 11:49am On Jan 19, 2013
He already scored some major points by the suprise inspection, but unfortunately he messed it up with his comments ( although I don't want to believe he said that)....I drive past that police college every sunday and I always think ''here is a waste of premium property''......what 'they' should do is to build another academy in a less developed area (e.g ogun or even bauchi, yes bauchi), with this they will have available land for expansion in future......we need to plan ahead in this country, its like we are only interested in short term solutions.......am sure the original builders of the ikeja academy didn't envisage that things will turn out this way......I can go on and on but what difference does it make, according to our constitution I need to be 30-35years before I can become a senator/representative/governor and 40 years to become a president......am just 24years.....so my voice is not been heard in this country....its just noise on social networks.....I guess I will just wait till am 30....but for now, I will 'siddon look' and pray there will still be a Nigeria for me to change when am 30.......maybe I am growing pessimistic **sighs**
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Nobody: 11:49am On Jan 19, 2013
Now I see our leaders are not really d problem wit dis country! We the citizens are! How come professional Journalists find it difficult to report a 30minutes event accurately? Each wit different version all to confuse and mislead her very own people! Oh nigerian citizens! Why arth thou thy very own enemy?
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by awodman: 11:51am On Jan 19, 2013
As a concerned Nigeria I want to point out what has caught my attention from the different report from diff media houses...
1stly THISDAY,GUARDIAN,TRIBUNE,DAILY INDEPENDENT and even SAHARA REPORTERS said that not even LAGOS COMMISSIONER of POLICE UMAR TANKO or AIG of ZONE 2 Mamman Tsafe were absent
Stating emphatically that only the COMMANDANT OF THE COLLEGE was the HIGHEST RANKING POLICE OFFICER during the visit as even attested τ̅☺ by the pictures
...but THE NATION and PUNCH chose to say otherwise..how did they get their own report??Could both PUNCH and NATION be saying the truth and all other media houses put together be lying??

Secondly SAHARA reported the president to have asked how CHANNELS came to cover his 'surprise' visit asking who gave them permission but PUNCH and NATION said he was asking about how the initial documentary was filmed...so who should we believe
I rest my case

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Maxymilliano(m): 11:54am On Jan 19, 2013
I took an exception to the President statement relating the documentary to a smear campaign on his administration, but that is if he indeed utter such statement as I don't see the correlation between the ascribed statement and the Presidential visit to the college...

The statement would have sounded real if the documentary by Channels Tv was not the reality on ground but the President was able to confirm the veracity of what was captured in the documentary himself, ascribing the said statement to him sounds untrue IMO.
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by nduchucks: 11:59am On Jan 19, 2013
@Beaf Sincere 9gerian, you have gone out of your war in a lame attempt to show that this statement, “This is a calculated attempt to damage the image of this government. The Police College, Ikeja is not the only training institution in Nigeria.”, attributed to GEJ is false.

I submit to you that everything you've posted on this thread shows that you are making the same statement as ya Oga GEJ was purported to have made.

Ok o, Oga GEJ did not make the statement, but you Sincere 9gerian, are attempting to make us believe that the statement is true. Olodo

4 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by omiobo: 12:08pm On Jan 19, 2013
On this one,I give it to GEJ for his presence in the college
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jan 19, 2013
colombiana:
Ur papa don become president before? Dis one wen u get the full knowledge of good governance
your reply is so insensitive. So only those in power are entitled to know good govenance.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 19, 2013
I don't care what he said, he had better order the repair of that facility. How can he even say it was a smear campaign? The whole world saw it and drew their conclusions, if he likes, let him say acn sponsored it. We all know the truth and that is the fact that the place is not fit to even rear goats.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Austinobisnr(m): 12:16pm On Jan 19, 2013
Yomieluv: It shows the president lacks idea of what good governance should be.
and whats ur idea of good governance? Being insensitive
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by jadakiss213(m): 12:17pm On Jan 19, 2013
the president makes an unscheduled visit 2 d college,in company of the chairman of Channels TV,makes statements about the deplorable state of the college and even reffered to the TV documentary thereby confirming its veracity..he now says "this is a calculated attempt to embarass this administration" how does that make sense to anybody

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Kzinne: 12:23pm On Jan 19, 2013
colombiana:
Ur papa don become president before? Dis one wen u get the full knowledge of good governance
u are a bloody illiterate

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Sagamite(m): 12:26pm On Jan 19, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: This report by Punch is most likely false, mischievous, fallacious and ridiculous.

Punch is a WELL KNOWN opposition news media organisation. As I post this comment, I'm watching Channelstv Sunrise programme. One of the presenter (the male) confirmed that he was there live and commended the president for coming, though he said if not for the Channelstv exposee, the president wouldn't have come.

Most importantly, the Channelstv owner, John Momoh, was there live and accompanied Mr president all thru. Mr president couldn't have allowed him to accompany the team if he saw something wrong in what Channelstv had done.

The Channelstv that started all this reported Mr president's visit very well and nothing of such was contained in any of their report. Channelstv has been beating its chest since yesterday for triggering what led to Mr president visiting the police college.

I must also add that if indeed Mr president said those things in the same context as Punch and Nations (another ACN media house) reported, then Mr president erred in my opinion. No effort must be spared at exposing any rot ANYWHERE in the system, provided security of the nation will not be breached. Everyone must be held accountable.

The reality is that there's so much incompetence and nonchallance in the public sector. Most times even the SIMPLEST of things (as little as dusting of ones table or cutting of grass) are left undone because of govt property mentality.

Whatever, is the case, the police college will not remain the same again.

The main issue there is not what he said, it is the virtually nothing or incompetence that you are guaranteed he would do afterwards.

Anyone with a brain would do the following as basic:

- Order for the police budget obtained for the training college for at least the last 6 years.
- Call those in charge of the budget to come and explain how the budgetary allocation was utilised.
- If no tally with what is on the ground, suspend/retrench those responsible for the budget.
- Ask for the performance appraisal of those suspended and retrenched.
- Any of their superiors that has appraised them as performing during that period should be suspended or retrenched too.
- Get lawyers to advise on presidential powers and see if you have the powers to probe their private lives.
- If no powers, get your party members to raise a bill to give that power.
- Probe the police officers lives and compare with their salaries, anything over they cannot explain is seized or forfeited.
- Then take them to court and send them to jail.

I can guarantee you that the person you are defending would not do half of that basic. He is way too daft. I came up with that in less than 10 minutes. The person you call President cannot come up with that in 3 years. He is a FOOOOOL!

8 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by slimfit1(m): 12:26pm On Jan 19, 2013
karl max: another paid opposition news outlet !can u see the similarity between sahara,punch, and the nation report they are the only newsnetwork that reported the beer palour gist.very funny bunch even channels that were on ground when GEJ came calling didn't report it na wah it most be hard times for this news agencies but the truth would alway over shadow lies that is what they don't knw

Young person so what is the truth ? You don't say anything when NTA hid the truth from us but when others hid the truth you get angry. What I was expecting the president to say was that I want changes in 4 months non of that came up so sad.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by paulo007: 12:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: This report by Punch is most likely false, mischievous, fallacious and ridiculous.

Punch is a WELL KNOWN opposition news media organisation. As I post this comment, I'm watching Channelstv Sunrise programme. One of the presenter (the male) confirmed that he was there live and commended the president for coming, though he said if not for the Channelstv exposee, the president wouldn't have come.

Most importantly, the Channelstv owner, John Momoh, was there live and accompanied Mr president all thru. Mr president couldn't have allowed him to accompany the team if he saw something wrong in what Channelstv had done.

The Channelstv that started all this reported Mr president's visit very well and nothing of such was contained in any of their report. Channelstv has been beating its chest since yesterday for triggering what led to Mr president visiting the police college.

I must also add that if indeed Mr president said those things in the same context as Punch and Nations (another ACN media house) reported, then Mr president erred in my opinion. No effort must be spared at exposing any rot ANYWHERE in the system, provided security of the nation will not be breached. Everyone must be held accountable.

The reality is that there's so much incompetence and nonchallance in the public sector. Most times even the SIMPLEST of things (as little as dusting of ones table or cutting of grass) are left undone because of govt property mentality.

all the news paper quoted by you reported the same thing. Tribune and others did not mention the questions asked by the mr president why others like punch mentioned the questions. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by maclatunji: 12:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
ITbomb: Did you say inspite of what we are seeing , Lagos is better than Kaduna?
Heavens save us

The NYSC Camp in Obubra, Cross River State was worse. It got rehabilitated for the NigerDelta militants under the Amnesty programme. It seems that militants in Nigeria have greater value than graduates.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by etalker: 12:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
Whom am I to believe now, the President or the lazy a$s journalist who weren't even there when the President visited?

All thanks to Channels TV!
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by colombiana: 12:31pm On Jan 19, 2013
Kzinne: u are a bloody illiterate
Ur papa
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Sagamite(m): 12:32pm On Jan 19, 2013
smakati: He already scored some major points by the suprise inspection, but unfortunately he messed it up with his comments ( although I don't want to believe he said that)....I drive past that police college every sunday and I always think ''here is a waste of premium property''......what 'they' should do is to build another academy in a less developed area (e.g ogun or even bauchi, yes bauchi), with this they will have available land for expansion in future......we need to plan ahead in this country, its like we are only interested in short term solutions.......am sure the original builders of the ikeja academy didn't envisage that things will turn out this way......I can go on and on but what difference does it make, according to our constitution I need to be 30-35years before I can become a senator/representative/governor and 40 years to become a president......am just 24years.....so my voice is not been heard in this country....its just noise on social networks.....I guess I will just wait till am 30....but for now, I will 'siddon look' and pray there will still be a Nigeria for me to change when am 30.......maybe I am growing pessimistic **sighs**

You are so fcking right!

EXACTLY what I was thinking when I was driving past it to the airport on my last visit to Nigeria.
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Sagamite(m): 12:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
colombiana:

You are a person!

And the person that clicked "like" on you comment is a person!

Cretins like you cannot be aware that, apart from common sense, those that are well educated actually know what good governance is.

Cretinous product of a failed education system!

7 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by IncomeTutor: 12:44pm On Jan 19, 2013
Decay or no decay, our corrupt leaders are
benefiting from these chaos at the expense
of you and me who pay the taxes.
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by AZeD1(m): 12:44pm On Jan 19, 2013
Insincere Nigerian
Thisday, Guardian and Tribune did not report anything GEJ said during the visit. Is it that GEJ did not speak at during the visit or those newspapers decided not to report it.

3 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:49pm On Jan 19, 2013
Okay so my conclusions:

1. The police college is a mess
2. There was an ETF Loan of about 2Billion Naira, what happened to it?
3. How did John Momoh get in since this was an unannounced visit?
4. The President has seen this, so what next?
5. Channels TV covered a problem when would other TV stations create their own documentary about other social problems e.g Education, Unemployment, Housing etc this is a good step towards re

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:50pm On Jan 19, 2013
Okay so my conclusions:

1. The police college is a mess
2. There was an ETF Loan of about 2Billion Naira, what happened to it?
3. How did John Momoh get in since this was an unannounced visit?
4. The President has seen this, so what next?
5. Channels TV covered a problem when would other TV stations create their own documentary about other social problems e.g Education, Unemployment, Housing etc Thereby generating enough noise for all to see.
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by ldpele(m): 12:51pm On Jan 19, 2013
colombiana:
Shut up how many punch news paper u don buy. U even get light for ur house take watch news. Mtcheeew eye service, and u sure say dat ur I beta pass my neigbor gen neva blow ur tv. Pocupine
was thinking this new year,we were going to get rid of pple that just insult persons without making anypoint

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by karlmax2: 12:51pm On Jan 19, 2013
A-ZeD:
Insincere Nigerian
Thisday, Guardian and Tribune did not report anything GEJ said during the visit. Is it that GEJ did not speak at during the visit or those newspapers decided not to report it.
what of what channels tv who were on ground and reported what GEJ said and I quote "Apparently responding to pictures of rot in infrastructure broadcast by Channels Television, a visibly angry president queried the authorities of the college on the state of the institution.

He promised to change the tide in the college saying that his government

“Will do something about the institution”, the President vowed.

The chairman of Channels Television, Mr John Momoh was present during the president’s visit.

This is the first time a sitting President would be visiting the Police College built over 70 years ago" I still stick with what channels reported and not the failed on arrival propoganda of paid critics.
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by CohenJane: 12:52pm On Jan 19, 2013
Sagamite:

The main issue there is not what he said, it is the virtually nothing or incompetence that you are guaranteed he would do afterwards.

Anyone with a brain would do the following as basic:

- Order for the police budget obtained for the training college for at least the last 6 years.
- Call those in charge of the budget to come and explain how the budgetary allocation was utilised.
- If no tally with what is on the ground, suspend/retrench those responsible for the budget.
- Ask for the performance appraisal of those suspended and retrenched.
- Any of their superiors that has appraised them as performing during that period should be suspended or retrenched too.
- Get lawyers to advise on presidential powers and see if you have the powers to probe their private lives.
- If no powers, get your party members to raise a bill to give that power.
- Probe the police officers lives and compare with their salaries, anything over they cannot explain is seized or forfeited.
- Then take them to court and send them to jail.

I can guarantee you that the person you are defending would not do half of that basic. He is way too daft. I came up with that in less than 10 minutes. The person you call President cannot come up with that in 3 years. He is a FOOOOOL!

I felt very sorry when I read your post quoted above. I felt sorry for your innocence. My conclusion is that it is either you are either not residing in this country, you are not a citizen of this country or you have left the country in a long time.

You know what, all those things can never happen in Nigeria, I'm sorry to disappoint you.

3 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by Reyspin(m): 12:52pm On Jan 19, 2013

Cant you guys read between the lines? Channels TV aired the mess, the President visits the mess accompanied by Channels Television owner. If you have been watching Channels Television lately you will know that Channel Television is now JoMomoh Television.

This is all propaganda from the On-set...
Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:56pm On Jan 19, 2013
Was the report a lie?

Is police college Ikeja not a mess?

What exactly seems to be your grouse, 40 laptop squad?

That they should not have reported the rot? Our quoted Jonathan?

Continue bleating. Thank God there are still people in this country who can see.

Let me tell you a secret. The governments that enjoyed the type of support you want from Nigerians were governments that actually had societies were things like amenities and infrastructure worked, e.g libya under Gaddafi.

Dumb bleeps, left to you Nigeria is just fine as it is and Jonah is the Messiah abi?

3 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Jonathan's Comment At Police College, Ikeja? by AZeD1(m): 12:56pm On Jan 19, 2013
karl max: what of what channels tv who were on ground and reported what GEJ said and I quote "Apparently responding to pictures of rot in infrastructure broadcast by Channels Television, a visibly angry president queried the authorities of the college on the state of the institution.

He promised to change the tide in the college saying that his government

“Will do something about the institution”, the President vowed.

The chairman of Channels Television, Mr John Momoh was present during the president’s visit.

This is the first time a sitting President would be visiting the Police College built over 70 years ago" I still stick with what channels reported and not the failed on arrival propoganda of paid critics.
Another question, If it was a surprise visit, how did John Momoh know of it? The newspapers also reported that the president asked the provost of the college some question what are those question?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Biafra Leader Nnamdi Kalu Now Tortured By Dss @live Broadcast / FG Appoints Pwc As Growth And Employment Project Administrator / EFCC Arrests Bala Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.