Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,277 members, 7,957,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:53 PM

Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! (19784 Views)

PDP Raises Rallying Cry - Says PMB Not Equipped To Lead In A Democracy / Nigerian Soldiers: We Are Under-Equipped And Out-Numbered - CNN (Photo) / Pictures Of Nigerian Troops Arrival In Mali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Boyoorisha: 1:11am On Jan 21, 2013
There are speculations that due to lack of adequate training and discipline, the over 1,200 Nigeria troops would not be directly involved in combat operations to oust the militiamen from the northern region of Mali.

A United Kingdom (UK)-based newspaper, The Guardian,on its website yesterday alleged that men of the Nigerian Army deployed in Mali lacked the capacity to fight on the front line.

The paper quoted a senior source in Mali that the military contingent from Nigeria lacks the needed training and discipline to be relied upon to oust the Islamists from northern Mali prompting suggestions that the role of the men would be limited to security and logistics.

“The Nigerian Army is in a shocking state,” said the source, “in reality there is no way they are capable of forward operations in Mali – their role is more likely to be limited to manning checkpoints and loading trucks.

“The Nigerian forces lack training and kit, so they simply don’t have the capability to carry out even basic military manoeuvres. They have poor discipline and support. They are more likely to play a behind-the-scenes role in logistics and providing security.”

The source added that under plans for the enforcement of a United Nations (UN) Security Council-backed military intervention in Mali, Nigeria, alongside troops belonging to member states of the Economic Community of West Africa States (ECOWAS) are expected to lead forward operations.

The reality on ground as reported by the paper may have forced the governments of France, Germany, the United States of America (USA) and the European Union (EU) to consider the idea of further providing the Malian army with the necessary training, equipment and logistics support.

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/45501/2013/01/20/nigerian_troops_illequipped_war_mali.html

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by rdokoye: 1:50am On Jan 21, 2013
The story is old and baseless and was written by a Nigerian hating Ghanaian woman.

21 Likes

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Nobody: 5:24am On Jan 21, 2013
Tales by Moonlight.......

Tontonran ron-ron-ron.......roooon rooon ron!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Onyegecha(f): 7:02am On Jan 21, 2013
Playing big brother while the home base burns?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Blyss: 7:12am On Jan 21, 2013
I'll admit that they made a lot of improvement, but they still got some way to go. Look at this ignorant foolishness, would you call this being professional?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AQISQdlRT0

I call it being childish and very unprofessional. They look like a bunch of fools.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Nobody: 9:20am On Jan 21, 2013
dare them and we'll know who's boss

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by cyril83(m): 9:20am On Jan 21, 2013
We have known this for a very long time its just that some people wouldn't allow us to speak the truth all in the name of nigeria my country Smh..these men lack discipline and tactical training though our government has a lot to do in terms of equipments but the fact stil remains NA is weak
Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Drdaps(m): 9:25am On Jan 21, 2013
so those soldiers that they have been sending to Foriegn countries to learn gain nothing.
Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by samnugba(m): 9:28am On Jan 21, 2013
nigerian soldiers may not have the adequate supplies and kits but trust me, they have good training and soldiering skills; you seriously don't wanna mess with them

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by bigfat: 9:30am On Jan 21, 2013
[size=15pt]we need to EUPIP THEM WITH MULTI BILLION NAIRA EQUIPMENT IMPORTED TO THE USA ,RUSSIA AND OTHER WEAPON MANUFACTURING COUNTRIES..[/size]

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by bigfat: 9:30am On Jan 21, 2013
I HOPE THEY WILL NOT BE USED AS SACRIFICE
Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by olapluto(m): 9:31am On Jan 21, 2013
Blyss: I'll admit that they made a lot of improvement, but they still got some way to go. Look at this ignorant foolishness, would you call this being professional?

I call it being childish and very unprofessional. They look like a bunch of fools.
What exactly is childish in this? You are obviously not familiar with the word 'morale'. These soldiers are some of the world's finest. They are brave, gallant and very tactful. You do not need to be white to be good, in fact, I make bold to say that in an open combat in the deserts of Mali, our troops stand a better chance than the French. I read the guardian article last week and could only laugh. It is filled with gross inaccuracies and some outright lies. The Nigerian Army is perhaps the ones going to do the dirty jobs of smoking the rebels in Mali. The French CANNOT do much on ground. They cannot win an open battle with the rebels.
Nigeria may be bad, but we're not as bad as the article painted. Our military has quietly been upgrading and I was impressed that we used our own troop carrier, sending 2 fighter jets also. Many people make silly comparisons with Boko Haram. Boko Haram is an enemy within, guerilla in approach, thus handicapping the soldiers trained to flush things out. In Mali, things are different. The only order the gallant soldiers need is to go in and kill. Leave the rest to the trusted AK47.

26 Likes

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by initiate: 9:31am On Jan 21, 2013
To balance this, I suggest someone should give us insight into the activities of Nig Army in Sleone, Liberia, Sudan etc

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by SORTER: 9:32am On Jan 21, 2013
Onyegecha: Playing big brother while the home base burns?
....i taya o!
Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by strangest(m): 9:32am On Jan 21, 2013

Mali is now part of our problem... BH soldiers are now trained in Mali, beside their leader is currently hiding in Mali... taking the war to their doorstep is very okay because Attack still remains the best form of defense...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by bibinwaka: 9:39am On Jan 21, 2013
MY FELLOW NAILNDRS DNT U KNOW D PROBLM. "THEY WERE NOT GIVEN BUDGET ALLOCATION OF BILLIONS OF NAIRA" OGA DEM DEY VEX.8-)
Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Kgdavid(m): 9:46am On Jan 21, 2013

it is clear Nigeria is pursuing her own in interest by sendng troops to Mali secondly how accurate is it to say the homeland burns?? is this not a gross exageration? a small portion of Nigeria is at war with a small group of insurgents. out of our tens of thousands of soldiers the 1,200 that we're sending to Mali is now a big deal? look under normal circunstances dealing with Boko Haram should not even involve soldiers. this should be handled by the NIA, Secret Service and the police if not that they are proving inadequate to handle this situation.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Vykiano(m): 9:51am On Jan 21, 2013
Rubish...if NA is week,y are they beggin us to send troops...i bet u,if NA shud liv d scene,WA is gone.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by danikik7: 9:52am On Jan 21, 2013
what is wrong with billions of naira budget on defense anually that made the Nigeria military ill-equipt for the mission.

This a wakeup call for the Nigeria Army==EFCC should take note

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by caesaraba(m): 9:54am On Jan 21, 2013
Blyss: I'll admit that they made a lot of improvement, but they still got some way to go. Look at this ignorant foolishness, would you call this being professional?

"Morale" (Get familiar with the word).
I guess you didn't call some of the French soldiers who wore clown(ish) masks right on the war-front in Mali, "bunch of fools."
That show of "ignorant foolishness" as you put it, has become a traditional pre-deployment activity for Nigerian troops and that has not being known to negetively affect the troops' perfomance on the battlefield. (They are going to war! Not a dinner party).
You should leave "Soldiering" to soldiers.

But hey! Some are just programmed to dis anything Nigerian by default.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Iolo(m): 9:58am On Jan 21, 2013
So the army of a tattered Mali are those capable of fighting the rebels alongside the French abi?

But Nigeria's army is the one that's incapable. We are the only West African nation to have troop transport aircraft, and to have sent fighter planes.

Another point that almost nobody has noted is that the troops sent to mali from the video above did not wear the traditional green camoflage we normally use but one specially designed for desert conditions. Every single one of them has a bullet proof vest and helmet. Does this not go to say that the Nigerian army is very well prepared for the mission?

Anyone that looks at pics of the Malians viz a viz the Nigerian soldiers would know the writer is an anti-Nigerian bigot. Simple.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Quadrilarry89(m): 9:58am On Jan 21, 2013
They are not good & yet they offer their support to fight in the front line against militant in another country, the only africa country so far kind enough to do that. I wish I was the president, I will order the troops withdrawal with immediate effect.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by gbadexy(m): 9:59am On Jan 21, 2013
I must admit that blyss made a good point.
The soldiers weren't acting matured and professional in that you tube clip.
They were acting like kids vying for attention.
Veeery hilarious I must say.
Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by imeller: 10:01am On Jan 21, 2013
samnugba: nigerian soldiers may not have the adequate supplies and kits but trust me, they have good training and soldiering skills; you seriously don't wanna mess with them
Word

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by eduson33(m): 10:02am On Jan 21, 2013
**WISDOM**

TEACH HIM BRO
ola_pluto:
What exactly is childish in this? You are obviously not familiar with the word 'morale'. These soldiers are some of the world's finest. They are brave, gallant and very tactful. You do not need to be white to be good, in fact, I make bold to say that in an open combat in the deserts of Mali, our troops stand a better chance than the French. I read the guardian article last week and could only laugh. It is filled with gross inaccuracies and some outright lies. The Nigerian Army is perhaps the ones going to do the dirty jobs of smoking the rebels in Mali. The French CANNOT do much on ground. They cannot win an open battle with the rebels.
Nigeria may be bad, but we're not as bad as the article painted. Our military has quietly been upgrading and I was impressed that we used our own troop carrier, sending 2 fighter jets also. Many people make silly comparisons with Boko Haram. Boko Haram is an enemy within, guerilla in approach, thus handicapping the soldiers trained to flush things out. In Mali, things are different. The only order the gallant soldiers need is to go in and kill. Leave the rest to the trusted AK47.
Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Dapwajok(m): 10:05am On Jan 21, 2013
Nigerian army have compromised their standard with the current security challenges in Nigeria. They are been used by the enemies to fight those they are to protect. They are part of Boko Haram as menssion by d President. Even in Nigeria, we don't trust the security personel.
Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by imperiouxx(m): 10:13am On Jan 21, 2013
But still don't believe this. "Don’t have the capability to carry out even basic military manoeuvres"..... Bullshiit! She thought she was talking about Civil Defense Corps? If Nigeria army can't do it then which of other West African military can do it? Pure propaganda!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Owanlen: 10:14am On Jan 21, 2013
ola_pluto:
Quite agree with you on some points. I'm very proud of the Nigerian army myself but I think tactics and training in warfare nowadays prioritize on the lose no soldier approach. No doubt, the NA will go in there and kick those militants butts but how may will return? This may be an already accepted fate for the NA but is not acceptable as an international standard. Yes no doubt with appropriate training and equipment the NA will come back victorious with every soldier accounted for.
Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 21, 2013
samnugba: nigerian soldiers may not have the adequate supplies and kits but trust me, they have good training and soldiering skills; you seriously don't wanna mess with them

Especially if you're an unarmed "bloody civilian". Their so-called training and soldiering skills are only useful against defenceless civilians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by papaejima1: 10:23am On Jan 21, 2013
What a STUP!D report.
Lacked capacity to fight at the frontlines?
What capacity again do you need other than to pull the trigger and blast away a silly rebel who wants to do you in and make sure it is him and not you that gets killed?
Ok, so we don't know how to fight?
Abeg Naija soldiers, make una go siddon for barracks dey load motor and chop free food joor!
BTW we want you guys back alive... allow those who know how to FIGHT to lead.

Once again, very !diot!c and stup!d story!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by IleIfe2(m): 10:25am On Jan 21, 2013

[size=18pt]This Biatch, Afua Hirsch[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! by imperiouxx(m): 10:26am On Jan 21, 2013
[size=18pt]Afua Hirch[/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Life Pension: Saraki Behaving Like A Spoon-fed Baby – Sagay / There'll Be No Difference Btw Buhari And Atiku, Think Outside The Slavery Box / Sanwo-Olu: Land Transactions In Lagos To Go Fully Digital Next Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.