Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World (4641 Views)

Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) / Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by MrGlobe(m): 11:58am On Jan 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
Lagos is the businest and the most bubbly city in Nigeria and a lot of people like it for that. But that does not take away the fact that Lagos is unlivable. But people will keep living there because there are no alternatives. Though Abuja and PH kinda comes a little bit close but PH is equally a slum too. I wish we could have a city with the busy life of Lagos as clean as Calabar, Enugu or Abuja.
exactly.
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by vislabraye(m): 12:28pm On Jan 24, 2013
Lagos is liveable if you have enough money. If you can afford a house in VGC or Lekki and can afford money for diesel, you will enjoy Lagos.
With cool dough, you'll catch you trip in Lag well well.
So don't see the down side.

Just have enough cash and you won't need the facilities govt provides. You can provide urself electricity, water, security and overcome the obstacles of bad road.
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by demmie1: 12:46pm On Jan 24, 2013
Mr. Globe:
is it a lie? Let our SW brothers keep overating Lagos - The world's biggest slum. If we say it, they call us tribalists, wonder what they will call Christina. The people that love living a lie.
so Lagos is now a southwest matter, its no longer owned by 'igbos'. God! you yanmiris are unbelievable.
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by digitite: 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2013
Lagos na wa....

I am thinking of relocating from the North to South East.... between Lagos, Calabar or Enugu; which do you recommended and give reasons.
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by ypzilanti: 1:24pm On Jan 24, 2013
If you have lived in other major cities in the world, you will understand the tag. Lagos is probably the only city of its size in the world without a rail system to ease traffic. Something is being done about that now, though. The main problem of Lagos is traffic congestion. The garbage disposal system is good now, and the city aesthetics has improved considerably. The problem was the many years of neglect. Consider that with exception of 3rdML bridge no major bridges were built in Lagos until this regime came on board. If past administrations had all done their bit, Lagos would be a better place.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jan 24, 2013
Eko oni baje o! grin grin
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 24, 2013
You guys are getting it all wrong! What makes Lagos the most unlivable place in the third world? It's not the slums, because the worst slum in the cities under study isn't in Lagos. It's the inadequate amenities that makes Lagos unlivable compared to other world class cities. The population explosion coupled with bad governance and indiscipline from the residence caused it all. It didn't start today. How do you want a rapidly growing city to be livable when infrastructural development doesn't complement the growth in population. This is not a South west issue, but a Nigerian one. Tell me a livable city in Nigeria today that will still remain so if it were to have the population of Lagos living in it?
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by gregg2: 2:51pm On Jan 24, 2013
berem: Eko oni baje o! grin grin

Keep deceiving yourself with that 419 slogan.

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 24, 2013
gregg2:

Keep deceiving yourself with that 419 slogan.
abeg no be me talk am o! cheesy cheesy
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by londoner: 3:14pm On Jan 24, 2013
It is unlivable for some...it all depends on what you are looking for in the city in which you live.

For others it drives them and they can not live anywhere else.

I don't find Lagos a livable city, for me....but Abuja now, I would love to live there.

That is down to my own personality and what makes me feel comfortable in place. Abuja is green, pretty,slower paced and non-imposing.

For others, they can never live in Abuja. It does not have the bustle they need to keep them feeling alive.

What is a livable city then? Well that's subjective. I was born and raised in London (a city which I love in some way).....I now live in Australia, why? Because on some levels I do not find London livable, you could say.

My sister also moved to Australia (Melbourne)n four years ago........she absolutely loves it and will never go and live in London again.

Many people are living happily in Lagos......Amanpour should speak to those people also......they are staying there for a reason.
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by lekkie073(m): 3:35pm On Jan 24, 2013
Afam4eva: Even though we can agree that Fashola has done his bit to make Lagos a little more liveable but that does not take away the fact that most parts of Lagos and full of ghettos and slums. It's not only those major roads in high brow areas in lagos that are Lagos. Go into the streets that connect these roads and see the real Lagos. I wonder why we keep lying to ourselves.
if lagos is unlivable, then other states in naija r not fit for living things grin

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by Aderostock(m): 4:34pm On Jan 24, 2013
jmaine:

Yes she did say it, but it was after the interview session with Mr President . . . .
She didn't say anything pertaining to Lagos. People can form anything oooo
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by veraponpo(m): 6:29pm On Jan 24, 2013
WE ALREADY KNOW ALL THESE, HENCE THE REASON FOR GOV FASH'S EFFORT OF CLARING OKADA, REBUILDING THE STREET, STOPPING ROADSIDE SELLING, CLARING THE CARS ON THE ROAD, STOPPING HAWKING ON THE ROAD, ETC BUT SAME PEOPLE HERE TALKING WOULD ALWAYS SAY THE GOV IS WRONG.

THANK GOD LAGOS IS THE 3RD UNLIVEABLE CITY, SOME CITIES ARE NOT EVEN IN WORLD MAP SORRY, VILLAGES. WE ALL KNOW THEM, EVEN FINANCIAL TIMES INTERNATIONAL KNOWS IBADAN BUT NOT SOME CITIES, SORRY VILLAGES.LOL

4 Likes

Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by jmaine: 6:39pm On Jan 24, 2013
Aderostock:
She didn't say anything pertaining to Lagos. People can form anything oooo

A sure sign of ignorance from you bruv. .

Those who watched the interview live will never deny her assertion on the livability of Lagos State

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by lekkie073(m): 6:40pm On Jan 24, 2013
veraponpo: WE ALREADY KNOW ALL THESE, HENCE THE REASON FOR GOV FASH'S EFFORT OF CLARING OKADA, REBUILDING THE STREET, STOPPING ROADSIDE SELLING, CLARING THE CARS ON THE ROAD, STOPPING HAWKING ON THE ROAD, ETC BUT SAME PEOPLE HERE TALKING WOULD ALWAYS SAY THE GOV IS WRONG.

THANK GOD LAGOS IS THE 3RD UNLIVEABLE CITY, SOME CITIES ARE NOT EVEN IN WORLD MAP SORRY, VILLAGES. WE ALL KNOW THEM, EVEN FINANCIAL TIMES INTERNATIONAL KNOWS IBADAN BUT NOT SOME CITIES, SORRY VILLAGES.LOL
true talk. tell them 'if u can't live in Lagos, u can as well leave Lagos.' afterall nobody force u to come
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by londoner: 6:43pm On Jan 24, 2013
lekkie073:
if lagos is unlivable, then other states in naija r not fit for living things grin

Believe it or not some other states actually have what does not come abundantly in Lagos.

If hustle and bustle is not your thing, there are the states that will suit you better than Lagos.

Lagos can not be number one in all, as hard as it may be for some to accept.........lol
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by jaymichael(m): 7:53pm On Jan 24, 2013
All aspect of Lagos life na stress.
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by OmoTier1(m): 8:40pm On Jan 24, 2013
Nigerians, wake up to reality! If someone calls you a fool and you go to a corner and start asking yourself if you are a fool, then you are! That the West says Lagos is unlivable counts for nothing, it is what we Nigerians make of it. They called Sao Palo slums, they said Brazil was a huge slum, soon it displaced UK as the 6th biggest Economy, today they are now chating Brazil as an emerging super power.

Let Amanpour say what she likes, what counts and will make the difference is what Nigerians do with their country.

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by lekkie073(m): 10:40pm On Jan 24, 2013
jaymichael: All aspect of Lagos life na stress.
to someone in Manchester, all aspect of London life will still be viewed as stress, so?
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by lekkie073(m): 10:49pm On Jan 24, 2013
Omo_Tier1: Nigerians, wake up to reality! If someone calls you a fool and you go to a corner and start asking yourself if you are a fool, then you are! That the West says Lagos is unlivable counts for nothing, it is what we Nigerians make of it. They called Sao Palo slums, they said Brazil was a huge slum, soon it displaced UK as the 6th biggest Economy, today they are now chating Brazil as an emerging super power.

Let Amanpour say what she likes, what counts and will make the difference is what Nigerians do with their country.
nice talk jare. Ajegunle is a slum because dats where runaway nigerdeltans take as their abode. mAkoko is a slum because it's ilajes abode. most slums in lagos is populated by non indigenes. leave dem out and Lagos won't be downgraded by people like amanpour.
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by lekkie073(m): 11:01pm On Jan 24, 2013
londoner:

Believe it or not some other states actually have what does not come abundantly in Lagos.

If hustle and bustle is not your thing, there are the states that will suit you better than Lagos.

Lagos can not be number one in all, as hard as it may be for some to accept.........lol
talk of a parallel statewide development and Lagos is still numerous uno. calabar is a beauty, but what of other portions of cross river? port harcourt is okay but what of other parts of rivers like ahaoda and it's types. onitsha awka and nnewi r livable but what of the remaining villages. I served in awkaetiti in idemili south and lo and behold no single bank in d whole idemili south LGA. until any state has a statewide parallel devt, Lagos is still unable father. fact!
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by lekkie073(m): 11:04pm On Jan 24, 2013
londoner:

Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by EkoAtlantic1(f): 2:44am On Jan 25, 2013
na wash tongue
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by redsun(m): 3:00am On Jan 25, 2013
Lagos still has a long way to go before it can be called a proper functional city. For now it is still a giant slum that the inhabitants are used to navigating and they tend to love it,since they don't know any better.
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by londoner: 4:50am On Jan 25, 2013
lekkie073:
talk of a parallel statewide development and Lagos is still numerous uno. calabar is a beauty, but what of other portions of cross river? port harcourt is okay but what of other parts of rivers like ahaoda and it's types. onitsha awka and nnewi r livable but what of the remaining villages. I served in awkaetiti in idemili south and lo and behold no single bank in d whole idemili south LGA. until any state has a statewide parallel devt, Lagos is still unable father. fact!

If banks were what makes a place livable, then Lagos would not be on the list.

Statewide development or not.......Lagos is hectic for some, while others ride on chaos.....

Its not as if there are no parts of Lagos that are underdeveloped....lol

I dont know what unable father means, but Lagos is also a father in stress and gra gra.....along with the development.
I think of Lagos as a city where you survive and have fun in between the stress.......FOR ME that can never be a livable city.

For others it is......if you take Melbourne Australia which is one of the top livabkle cities. Its is very developed and one of the leading cities in one of the best performing economies in the world. You know what else it has though......a culture of relaxation, fun and friendliness.

That is what makes it livable.....it is not a stressful city, although it has all the trappings of any (first world) modern city.
The city is where people work, make money, raise families and ENJOY LIFE.....!

Now that is a livable city.
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by Pukkah: 7:33am On Jan 25, 2013
Goddex: Amanpour

did not say anything new, we already know it. Some peeps that have
never travelled out of South West will disagree with Amanpour.

So pathetic for a state that the allknowing ACN have ruled for 14yrs.
Common pipeborne water which is the sole responsibility of the state
government remains a luxury in lagos 14yrs after, yet what some peeps on NL only know is to point fingers at Abuja.

Please tell me, which state in Nigeria can boast of 'common' pipeborne water?

In terms of development, Nigerian states are same of the same.

It's true that it's not easy to live in Lagos but how many parts of Nigeria excel in terms of livability indices?
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by lekkie073(m): 8:39am On Jan 25, 2013
londoner:

If banks were what makes a place livable, then Lagos would not be on the list.

Statewide development or not.......Lagos is hectic for some, while others ride on chaos.....

Its not as if there are no parts of Lagos that are underdeveloped....lol

I dont know what unable father means, but Lagos is also a father in stress and gra gra.....along with the development.
I think of Lagos as a city where you survive and have fun in between the stress.......FOR ME that can never be a livable city.

For others it is......if you take Melbourne Australia which is one of the top livabkle cities. Its is very developed and one of the leading cities in one of the best performing economies in the world. You know what else it has though......a culture of relaxation, fun and friendliness.

That is what makes it livable.....it is not a stressful city, although it has all the trappings of any (first world) modern city.
The city is where people work, make money, raise families and ENJOY LIFE.....!

Now that is a livable city.
people like us that grew in Lagos don't even see it data way though my venture into d north made me understand other ppl 's opinion. well Lagos is livable for me sha. Fashola is not complaining, adenuga stays in Lagos and is not complaining. amanpour doesn't. BTW, if amanpour shd visit other places in naija , I wonder what she would classify them as....places like anambra, ebonyi, edo, and those forsaken northern states. grin
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by anulaxad(m): 8:43am On Jan 25, 2013
Is she lying, for me it is the most unliveable city in the world, she is just being nice. my own grandma has lived in the capital of Lagos(ikeja)for over 50 years and the road outside her house has never been constructed(or lets say tarred.)
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by lekkie073(m): 8:53am On Jan 25, 2013
anulaxad: Is she lying, for me it is the most unliveable city in the world, she is just being nice. my own grandma has lived in the capital of Lagos(ikeja)for over 50 years and the road outside her house has never been constructed(or lets say tarred.)

u r d liar. check very well, u will see dat dat ur grandma's place had been tarred way back.....it wasn't maintained dats y it's like dat. IKEja for that matter. tell me d street if u r not lying. grin
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by mapet: 9:26am On Jan 25, 2013
@Omo_Tier1,

1. Thank you very much.
2. I was wondering if there was no one in the to rationalize things till I got to your postings.
3. The pitiable thing is that our brothers that should be concentrating on our march to Utopia have no focus. Our brothers in diaspora join the western media to denigrate us at will and I wonder......
3. It is important that we define our path and how we get their. All these isolated statistics are distractions.
4. We need to build viable cities, much more we need to have the capacity to transform, rebuild and manage our cities, Amanpour or no Amanpour........

Omo_Tier1: Nigerians, wake up to reality! If someone calls you a fool and you go to a corner and start asking yourself if you are a fool, then you are! That the West says Lagos is unlivable counts for nothing, it is what we Nigerians make of it. They called Sao Palo slums, they said Brazil was a huge slum, soon it displaced UK as the 6th biggest Economy, today they are now chating Brazil as an emerging super power.

Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by Hardfact: 9:41am On Jan 25, 2013
Hard fact: Many who live in Lagos find it really difficult to live in. Even many more outside dread living there.
Re: Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World by ochukoccna: 9:48am On Jan 25, 2013
If Lagos is unlivable,what will you say about the rest of Nigeria then?
Nigeria has its issues (serious ones at that) yet this is cheap western propaganda.
So you mean hell holes like Somalia,Afghanistan,Congo DRC,Central African Republic,Niger Republic,Chad,Yemen,those forgotten Soviet republics,Mali,Burma etc are BETTER PLACES to live in than Lasgidi?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

picture of the new #100 naira note.. / Hot To Recharge My PHCN Prepaid Meter Online Or Mobile ? / President Buhari Today In Chinese Underground Train

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.