Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Where Is It Proper To Pay Tithe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Is It Proper To Pay Tithe? (848 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Where Is It Proper To Pay Tithe? by Quads: 2:15pm On Jan 24, 2013
I dont know if this topic has been covered before now but I need very serious input to my question. My boyfriend just got this consultancy job he had been on for a while. I reminded him not to forget to pay his tithe (i don't think he has paid tithe before now he's a catholic but he does a lot of charity)he asked me if he could use the money instead for the education of someone with HIV to learn a trade.
I know that is commendable and i told him so but it cant pass off as tithe cos Mal 3:10 the message bible says "bring your full tithe to the temple treasury ...". In my opinion paying for someone's education and temple treasury are not the same but he's not convinced. Am I right or wrong?

I need informed answers cos we're planning on settling down sometime mid year and this is very crucial for us cos as a family I believe and he needs to agree we should pay tithe to a church.
Re: Where Is It Proper To Pay Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 2:40pm On Jan 24, 2013
1. This topic had been covered intensively on this section. In fact, it's been over flogged.

2. There's nothing like tithe or tithing for the New Testament Christians or believers. What the New Testament teaches is giving and that could be any percentage, less than or greater than legalistic 10%.

3. Malachi 3:10 is a traditional text used to coerce church people into legalistic tithing. It wasn't referring to you in context but to the priest of those days. They're the ones robbing God.

4. Going by the New Testament definition of temple, Malachi 3:10 is obsolete - You and I are NOW the temple of the living God for God doesn't dwell in temple built with hands.

5. The store house in Malachi is NOT equal to Church today. The store house was a portion INSIDE the temple then in Malachi. There's no New Testament definition of store house AS church.

6. Your man is right in his giving and works of Charity. If he hasn't paid tithe to get his new consultancy job, what makes you think he will pay tithe to retain the blessing or be blessed beyond measure. All my life in studying God's word, I have read God loves a cheerful giver but I'm yet to read where scripture says God loves a cheerful tither because tithe is a MUST but giving is as a man purpose in his heart.

7. God doesn't own ONLY tithe of believers. I hear preachers say, "tithe is God's money". That's false! God owns everything a believer owns. Why? We're JOINT HEIR together with Christ. This applies to everything we own. The money we have is the money God owns. Therefore, God expects us to support missions, our place of worship and the Gospel in whatever capacity we can according to the Grace giving to us financially.

8. Hebrews 7 puts and end to tithing in New Testament.

3 Likes

Re: Where Is It Proper To Pay Tithe? by christemmbassey(m): 3:06pm On Jan 24, 2013
@Op, you are wrong, ur man is right and Goshen is right. Pls read Mathew25_31-46 very carefully. See most of the pastors that preach tithe know the truth but lack the grace to discontinue this practice, the moment u pay tithe its like u are saying what so ever u expect to gain from this practice was not part of the parkage Christ gave to you else you have to work out this particular thing 4 urself. But Christ gave to us complet parkage, everything we have and will ever have was paid for and delivered to us.

(1) (Reply)

In One Sentence... Describe This Holy Man! / The Apostle Paul Affirms Mary Is Not Mediatrix. / Hadith On Salat Ul Layl (the Night Prayer : Tahajud)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.