Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,088 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) (4185 Views)

A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) / Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? / The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jan 24, 2013
I think a thread like this could show some religious folk and atheists as well the levels of discrimination that atheists face.

Here are my top two stories;

1) I had a debate with some christians in london in a bar. I was making my usual points about slavery in the bible. Only for one guy who couldnt take it to bring out a pen knife and claim that he would stab me if I continued claiming that the bible contains evil. Luckily, I am still an agile young man and I quickly made distance between me and the knife weilding christian. Sensing trouble, the other christians calmed him down and said that they dont want problems if the police came. At least, there were some good christians, or so I thought. The worst part came when the other christians were blaming me for the incident and claimed that I should leave. I was shocked. I was not even talking to the knife weilding guy before he pulled a knife on me and I was seen to be the one at fault? Needless to say, I left the bar with two of my closest friends- one is a lapsed christian, the other is an agnostic

2) I had a muslim girlfriend that I almost got killed for. I told a muslim taxi driver that I had a muslim girlfriend even though I was a non-muslim as we were making conversation during the drive. As soon as he heard that I was a non-muslim dating a muslim woman, the driver slammed the brakes so hard that we almost had an accident. He stopped talking to me and drove angrily to our destination.

Please share your stories- personal or other people's
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by plaetton: 5:25pm On Jan 24, 2013
dp
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by plaetton: 5:25pm On Jan 24, 2013
^^^^
And Deepsight once said that there were some good things about religion.

I keep wondering what these good things might be.
And they said religious people are happier than non-religious people! yeah, happier until they see a non-religious person.

But seriously, think about it this way, and I have made this point severally, most Religious nuts have deep doubts about the existence of god, and they live in mortal fear of those doubts.
Why else do they feel the compulsion to defend an omni omni god who should be more than competent to defend himself and dish out measured justice when the need arises.?
Why else would mortal men like davidylan and the other angry theists, fight and defend god at every little opportunity?.
Is it not out of the mortal fear of their inner doubts?
You can see that in the way they defend their theology with all manners of convoluted logic.

Why does a self-begotten omni omni creator god need me to believe in him? A complex of some sort?
God is a creation of the mind and is real when another mind accepts it. when a mind reject that creation, then god is diminished.
So , its a numbers game.
the more people who believe in god, the more real god appears to these people, because, the more it seems that their self-created delusions are validated.
An atheist , on the other hand, is the greatest threat to this mentally contrived omni omni of the universe. Its like pouring sand for their make-belief garri.

5 Likes

Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 24, 2013
plaetton: ^^^^

And they said religious people are happier than non-religious people! yeah, happier until they see a non-religious person.

But seriously, think about it this way, and I have made this point severally, most Religious nuts have deep doubts about the existence of god, and they live in mortal fear of those doubts.
Why else do they feel the compulsion to defend an omni omni god who should be more than competent to defend himself and dish out measured justice when the need arises.?
Why else would mortal men like davidylan and the other angry theists, fight and defend god at every little opportunity?.
You can see that in the way they defend their theology with all manners of convoluted logic.

Why does a self-begotten omni omni creator god need me to believe in him? A complex of some sort?
God is a creation of the mind and is real when another mind accepts it. when a mind reject that creation, then god is diminished.
So , its a numbers game.
the more people who believe in god, the more real god appears to these people, because, the more it seems that their self-created delusions are validated.
An atheist , on the other hand, is the greatest threat to this mentally contrived omni omni of the universe. Its like pouring sand for their make-belief garri.

I agree with your comment. There are videos on youtube by the non-stampcollector and Darkmatter2525 that highlight the issue of the paradox of a needy but omnipotent God.

However, if you gat stories please share them. People love to read stories! It will keep this thread alive! Were you ever butthurt by a religious folk? Banned cos you're an atheist?
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Bella3(f): 5:39pm On Jan 24, 2013
[s]Let me share my story...
Erm erm*clears throat...[/s]
#following
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by wiegraf: 5:56pm On Jan 24, 2013

Of course many would vociferously deny this. It might apply to all of them but it does to a great many of them

@logic, I can't even comment. I'm careful for the most part, but have of coursed faced discrimination like disinheritance, though I don't contend that. He was a muslim so I respect his beliefs. Of course there's self righteous azzholes in every family, needless to say I stay away. If I remember anything that stood out I'll post.

Honorable mention though of religious people who despite the constant whispers in their heads urging them to be douches they still end up being decent human beings. I can't say there are many of these though

1 Like

Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 24, 2013
wiegraf:

Of course many would vociferously deny this. It might apply to all of them but it does to a great many of them

@logic, I can't even comment. I'm careful for the most part, but have of coursed faced discrimination like disinheritance, though I don't contend that. He was a muslim so I respect his beliefs. Of course there's self righteous azzholes in every family, needless to say I stay away. If I remember anything that stood out I'll post.

Honorable mention though of religious people who despite the constant whispers in their heads urging them to be douches they still end up being decent human beings. I can't say there are many of these though

Tell us more about this disinheritance if possible, please
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by plaetton: 6:07pm On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

I agree with your comment. There are videos on youtube by the non-stampcollector and Darkmatter2525 that highlight the issue of the paradox of a needy but omnipotent God.

However, if you gat stories please share them. People love to read stories! It will keep this thread alive! Were you ever butthurt by a religious folk? Banned cos you're an atheist?

I once did a business with a guy. I actually facilitated the deal. After the deal, we were both happy jubilating. As we were driving in his car, he put on gospel music to celebrate his jolly mood. I actually enjoyed the beat and told him so. After telling me about the singer, he then asked me where i worshipped? I replied to him that I do not worship.
Then was silence. Then he asked "so which church do you attend"? I said none. He took a deep breath, then asked me, "are you a christian"? And I said "no".
The he asked " who do you pray to"? and I replied " pray to whom for what?

He stopped the car in the middle of the road, looked at me for over a minute and then continued driving with out saying a single word to me for the rest of the way.
I have not heard from him since that day. Not even a phone call to say thank you for everything.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 24, 2013
plaetton:

I once did a business with a guy. I actually facilitated the deal. After the deal, we were both happy jubilating. As we were driving in his car, he put on gospel music to celebrate his jolly mood. I actually enjoyed the beat and told him so. After telling me about the singer, he then asked me where i worshipped? I replied to him that I do not worship.
Then was silence. Then asked so which church do you attend? I said none. He took a deep breath, then asked me, "are you a christian"? And I said "no".
The he asked " who do you pray to"? and I replied " pray to for what?
He stopped the car in the middle of the road, looked at me for over a minute and then continued driving with out saying a single word to me for the rest of the way.
I have not heard from him since that day. Not even a phone call to say thank you for everything.

Mtchew angry angry angry

I have had experiences like this. The guy probably thought that you were a "devil worshipper" or a psychopath! I tire for the stereotypes that get attached to us unbelievers
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by wiegraf: 6:20pm On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Tell us more about this disinheritance if possible, please

Nothing spectacular. I have no say in family matters or how they played out. Non at all, split these ways, who got what, etc. Just got some cash which they make known to me was from the 'goodness' of their hearts, more or else lol. The new family head explicitly did tell me I have no say in these issues, he also does what he can to 4k up my style, actually sabotages me greatly (like say by interfering with my academics back in the day). Generally I just have him tagged as an epic azzhole, an extraordinally selfish pr1ck. Of course to most society he is known as a model human being.

Anyways, petty strifes of that nature do not suit me at all, and as my dad's last days were winding down he became more and more religious. He always was, just never fanatically dedicated. Since I think he was an awesome man I think it rather churlish to disrespect his will which I assume would be in tune with his religious beliefs, so I don't really contend those issues (still ongoing it seems, years later, apparently islamically that's bad, something about not going to heaven until they are resolved. Cherry picking is of course not beyond religious peeps).
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 24, 2013
wiegraf:

Nothing spectacular. I have no say in family matters or how they played out. Non at all, split these ways, who got what, etc. Just got some cash which they make known to me was from the 'goodness' of their hearts, more or else lol. The new family head explicitly did tell me I have no say in these issues, he also does what he can to 4k up my style, actually sabotages me greatly (like say by interfering with my academics back in the day). Generally I just have him tagged as an epic azzhole, an extraordinally selfish pr1ck. Of course to most society he is known as a model human being.

Anyways, petty strifes of that nature do not suit me at all, and as my dad's last days were winding down he became more and more religious. He always was, just never fanatically dedicated. Since I think he was an awesome man I think it rather churlish to disrespect his will which I assume would be in tune with his religious beliefs, so I don't really contend those issues (still ongoing it seems, years later, apparently islamically that's bad, something about not going to heaven until they are resolved. Cherry picking is of course not beyond religious peeps).

Aww....so sorry menn. I would die if my dad/brothers cut me off from the family. I guess I am not as strong as you. Luckily for me, most of my family members are Western educated and so, they grudgingly accepted my disbelief after a period of heated arguments.
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 24, 2013
plaetton:

Then was silence. Then he asked "so which church do you attend"? I said none. He took a deep breath, then asked me, "are you a christian"? And I said "no".
The he asked " who do you pray to"? and I replied " pray to whom for what?

I also had a similar experience.

I downloaded a video of a debate between a theist and atheist from youtube and I was watching it on my TV. A theist friend came in and started watching it with me. My friend assumed that I was a christian as well and so he was angry and was saying that the atheist in the debate was doing balsphemy. I replied that the atheist was making some valid points but my friend wanted to hear none of it. I repeated some atheist arguments to him and he became so angry and asked if I was a christian. I told him that I had lost my faith in christianity. As soon as I told him, he started raining abuses. He claimed that my house has become a house of the devil and that I better repent or go to hell.

Can you believe that this same guy reported me to my brother after deleting my contacts on bb and facebook? Anyways, it's good that he doesnt talk to me anymore. Good riddance to religious fundies
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by wiegraf: 8:25pm On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Aww....so sorry menn. I would die if my dad/brothers cut me off from the family. I guess I am not as strong as you. Luckily for me, most of my family members are Western educated and so, they grudgingly accepted my disbelief after a period of heated arguments.

Thanks meehn, I'm rather cool with it so nothing special though. You could either be a sheeple or a lone wolf, the only choice left for a lot of us. I'm very happy being the latter, even at the risk of looking like an eediot.
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 24, 2013
wiegraf:

Thanks meehn, I'm rather cool with it so nothing special though. You could either be a sheeple or a lone wolf, the only choice left for a lot of us. I'm very happy being the latter, even at the risk of looking like an eediot.

More grease to your elbow!
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 24, 2013
In America you will hear complaints of atheist signboards more than any other signboards but christians..........

[img]http://1.bp..com/_j9oDqG2zBGE/SSBnZtggoiI/AAAAAAAACYg/58u13yH3d8s/s1600/christian%2Bbillboard%2Bfive.jpg[/img]
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by onetrack(m): 10:57pm On Jan 24, 2013
Generally I cause a bit of shock when I say I'm an atheist, usually along the lines of "Astagfirullah! you know you're going to hell!", but that's been about the worst of it. A couple of people have demanded I convert (to Islam, I'm in a mostly Muslim country), but I've responded with polite refusal followed by an outline of my lack of belief. What I've tried to do, with some success, is get people used to the idea that atheists actually exist and don't have horns and a tail. The couple of people who had demanded that I convert are now totally used to my point of view and can even joke about it, and quite a few other people are also comfortable with me; nobody has stayed mad at me for very long. I should say that I think I'm a persuasive person in real life, I would have made a good vampire pastor had I been so inclined. However, I actually have to work for a living.
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 24, 2013
onetrack: Generally I cause a bit of shock when I say I'm an atheist, usually along the lines of "Astagfirullah! you know you're going to hell!", but that's been about the worst of it. A couple of people have demanded I convert (to Islam, I'm in a mostly Muslim country), but I've responded with polite refusal followed by an outline of my lack of belief. What I've tried to do, with some success, is get people used to the idea that atheists actually exist and don't have horns and a tail. The couple of people who had demanded that I convert are now totally used to my point of view and can even joke about it, and quite a few other people are also comfortable with me; nobody has stayed mad at me for very long. I should say that I think I'm a persuasive person in real life, I would have made a good vampire pastor had I been so inclined. However, I actually have to work for a living.

Wow, I actually thought that you were an ex-christian. However, do you think it is safe to be openly atheist in a muslim society? Surely you must have gotten some real threats?
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Affiliated(m): 2:23am On Jan 25, 2013
I used to go to church a while back so as not to offend the family and I kept my skepticism to myself. I had a girlfriend at that point but after dating for about a year I told her that religion is a grand scam. She actually became terrified of me and didn't talk to me again. I didn't feel bad because while I respect religious belief for the comfort it provides the same way I respect alcohol, i view people that feed into religion as hypocritical willfully ignorant idiots... I don't want to spend my limited time with idiots.
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 2:29am On Jan 25, 2013

So , its a numbers game.

I ask the same question as well. Why do atheists who claim religion is a lie spend 90% of their time on the religion boards? Why is it that the likes of logicboy practically sleep here day in day out? Is it out of mortal fear that they could be wrong? Why do the likes of Plaetton turn into such nasty vicious dark-minded ghouls anytime the word "God" is mentioned? Fear?

1 Like

Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 2:30am On Jan 25, 2013
Affiliated: I used to go to church a while back so as not to offend the family and I kept my skepticism to myself. I had a girlfriend at that point but after dating for about a year I told her that religion is a grand scam. She actually became terrified of me and didn't talk to me again. I didn't feel bad because while I respect religious belief for the comfort it provides the same way I respect alcohol, i view people that feed into religion as hypocritical willfully ignorant idiots... I don't want to spend my limited time with idiots.

Wow! Even after a year?
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 2:33am On Jan 25, 2013
Affiliated: I used to go to church a while back so as not to offend the family and I kept my skepticism to myself. I had a girlfriend at that point but after dating for about a year I told her that religion is a grand scam. She actually became terrified of me and didn't talk to me again. I didn't feel bad because while I respect religious belief for the comfort it provides the same way I respect alcohol, i view people that feed into religion as hypocritical willfully ignorant idiots... I don't want to spend my limited time with idiots.

What makes christians ignorant?
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Affiliated(m): 2:34am On Jan 25, 2013
davidylan:

What makes christians ignorant?

Because they willfully ignore many parts of the bible that don't fit into their fantasy.
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 2:34am On Jan 25, 2013
davidylan:

I ask the same question as well. Why do atheists who claim religion is a lie spend 90% of their time on the religion boards? Why is it that the likes of logicboy practically sleep here day in day out? Is it out of mortal fear that they could be wrong? Why do the likes of Plaetton turn into such nasty vicious dark-minded ghouls anytime the word "God" is mentioned? Fear?

Who lives in fear between atheists and christians?

Lets use America as an example

-School shootings happen because we removed prayers and God from our schools
-Atheists are unpatriotic because anti-God is anti-American
-They are taking prayers away from schools
-God is punishing America with hurricane sandy because of gays

You expect atheists to keep quiet when people like this are in our government and allowed to breed?
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Bella3(f): 2:35am On Jan 25, 2013
Does that include family members?shocked
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Affiliated(m): 2:39am On Jan 25, 2013
I was talking with my dad just this morning and he was telling me about how astrology is a sin (and rightly so according to the bible) I then pointed out that according to the same bible God created the stars to be for signs... which is what astrology is. He then quickly killed the topic by pointing out that God evolves with time and what was acceptable to God at a time would later be unacceptable to God. I politely let the matter rest.
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 2:43am On Jan 25, 2013
Affiliated: I was talking with my dad just this morning and he was telling me about how astrology is a sin (and rightly so according to the bible) I then pointed out that according to the same bible God created the stars to be for signs... which is what astrology is. He then quickly killed the topic by pointing out that God evolves with time and what was acceptable to God at a time would later be unacceptable to God. I politely let the matter rest.

Wow....another God/bible contradiction. Good!
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 2:47am On Jan 25, 2013
Affiliated:

Because they willfully ignore many parts of the bible that don't fit into their fantasy.

you mean ALL christians are ignorant? Just making sure i got you right.
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 2:50am On Jan 25, 2013
Affiliated: I was talking with my dad just this morning and he was telling me about how astrology is a sin (and rightly so according to the bible) I then pointed out that according to the same bible God created the stars to be for signs... which is what astrology is. He then quickly killed the topic by pointing out that God evolves with time and what was acceptable to God at a time would later be unacceptable to God. I politely let the matter rest.

You know that's false right?
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 2:50am On Jan 25, 2013
Logicboy03:

Who lives in fear between atheists and christians?

Lets use America as an example

-School shootings happen because we removed prayers and God from our schools
-Atheists are unpatriotic because anti-God is anti-American
-They are taking prayers away from schools
-God is punishing America with hurricane sandy because of gays

You expect atheists to keep quiet when people like this are in our government and allowed to breed?

Are you accepting of gays?
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Affiliated(m): 2:51am On Jan 25, 2013
davidylan:

you mean ALL christians are ignorant? Just making sure i got you right.

Willfully Ignorant. All Christians are willfully ignorant. Part of ignorance stems from ignoring subject matters which is what Christians do. I can even argue that to be one of the fundamental attributes of faith. I remember as a child constantly asking who created this God and being rebuked for thinking such thoughts and warned to never think or ask such questions again...
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Affiliated(m): 3:00am On Jan 25, 2013
davidylan:

You know that's false right?

I'll put the translations relevant to the point I'm making

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years;

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

American Standard Version
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years:

American King James Version

Douay-Rheims Bible
And God said: Let there be lights made in the firmament of heaven, to divide the day and the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years:

Darby Bible Translation
And God said, Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens, to divide between the day and the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years;

Young's Literal Translation
And God saith, 'Let luminaries be in the expanse of the heavens, to make a separation between the day and the night, then they have been for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years,

World English Bible
God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of sky to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years;

Webster's Bible Translation
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven, to divide the day from the night: and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years.

English Revised Version
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years:

Some other translations have however tried to edit it so it wouldn't contradict but a literal translation says they are to be for signs [Young's literal translation]
Re: Atheists Stories Of Religious Discrimination And Atheophobia (a Library ) by Nobody: 3:06am On Jan 25, 2013
davidylan:

Are you accepting of gays?

Really?

Mtchew, you have nothing if that's all you can say after my argument. Anyways, I'm liberal and so that should answer your question.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A White Brother Tells The Truth About Black Christians / Where Was God??? / Understanding Tithing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.