Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,027 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Why Do Reasonable People Elope? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Reasonable People Elope? (11055 Views)

Can U Elope Wit Ur Lover? / What Would U Do If Ur Parents Are Against Ur Partner, Elope Or Succumb? / Can You Elope With Your Lover At The Expense Of Your Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jan 27, 2013
jessybarbie: Reasons why Couples 'elope' may include the feeling of been completing in love and caring less about others. A relationship is about the two people involved that's why the bible said 'the man will leave his parents and be with his woman forever till death'
Did the bible also encourage eloping?
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by eagleeye2: 12:41pm On Jan 27, 2013
sexkillz: Not only is eloping a very bad idea, it also shows that the two people eloping are extremely childish and unreasonable. If parents are against your union, for any reason apart from religious, there is nothing better than respectfully explaining your stand to them and letting them know you have to be with each other. Handling the issue as maturely as possible.

There are some parents that are just stubborn. When I say stubborn, I mean it will take almost a death occuring event to change their view point.
When you meet such parents, the best you can do is to move away from where they are or where their eyes can reach you.

I have heard of cases where brides parents will reject both husband and their grand children.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by eagleeye2: 12:42pm On Jan 27, 2013
sexkillz: Did the bible also encourage eloping?

Must everything be written in the bible, why did God give each and everyone of us a "common sense"

1 Like

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by sunnyt1(m): 12:43pm On Jan 27, 2013
tpacalipse: When your parents are against ur union, make sure it is not multivated by selfish reasons. Most of the time thay ain't gat good reasons at all. And for the fact that some failed as elopee does not mean their parents were right in the first place. They would probably fail if they had lsiten to their parents in the first place. If I am going to fail, let it be frm my own decision but for me to fail based on the advice of others, very embarssing and I won't take.

Doesnt that mean u dnt trust ur parent's judgement? Anyway, if my parents say NO to my union, i will ask them to convince me, we shd sit and share logic. I trust them
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

There are some parents that are just stubborn. When I say stubborn, I mean it will take almost a death occuring event to change their view point.
When you meet such parents, the best you can do is to move away from where they are or where their eyes can reach you.

I have heard of cases where brides parents will reject both husband and their grand children.
There are more reasonable ways to treat issues than running away. You don't run from problems, you should sit and face them squarely else it will keep hovering.

So after running away, you live happily ever after?

What if I report you for abducting/kidnapping my daughter? Is that a better outcome?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by sunnyt1(m): 12:45pm On Jan 27, 2013
ITbomb: The feeling of love can make people insane.
Only people who are madly in love do elope

And that feeling bring about regret in the end. Love is more than how one feels at a point in time, the future shd be put into the picture
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Smartiegurl(f): 12:45pm On Jan 27, 2013
sexkillz: Did the bible also encourage eloping?

LOL.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jan 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

Must everything be written in the bible, why did God give each and everyone of us a "common sense"
Common sense encourages eloping as the last option?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by eagleeye2: 12:54pm On Jan 27, 2013
sexkillz:

What if I report you for abducting/kidnapping my daughter? Is that a better outcome?

There are cases of parents reporting the child's boyfriends to the police even when they have never contmplated eloping.
Eloping is not the best option, but moving away from the opposing parents may be a sensible option.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by cyril83(m): 12:54pm On Jan 27, 2013
sexkillz: Common sense encourages eloping as the last option?
Eloping has its advantages and disadvantages, and couples who might want to elope should think before they take the plunge
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by eagleeye2: 12:58pm On Jan 27, 2013
sunny t:

Doesnt that mean u dnt trust ur parent's judgement? Anyway, if my parents say NO to my union, i will ask them to convince me, we shd sit and share logic. I trust them

I believe you have not seen or heard cases of people being opposed based on sentimental reasons.

"He is too short ___ short people are normally temperamental".

she is from Ijebu ode, those people are normally high sense people.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

There are cases of parents reporting the child's boyfriends to the police even when they have never contmplated eloping.
Eloping is not the best option, but moving away from the opposing parents may be a sensible option.
How is it a sensible option?

Is that how you run away from any/every opposing circumstance?

This goes against what love is and what love stands for. The movies and Romance books has made people believe that running away is the best option. But is it really so?

If you run away, where will you live? What will you eat? Will you run away from your jobs as well? If you are a student, how will you complete your education without your parents? How will you cater for yourself and for her?

Simple thought provoking questions that should be considered before eloping. Or do you elope with the little change in your pocket and then turn around to come beg your parents afterwards? Lol. Why beg if you were right afterall?

Love is not unreasonable. . . Forget the hype!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by sunnyt1(m): 1:03pm On Jan 27, 2013
Abrantie:

Most (not all) lovers who didn't elope had come to regret their actions, I’ve seen many like that and there is something about love, it ends in regret (not all times)

Clownic *lol*
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 27, 2013
cyril83: Eloping has its advantages and disadvantages, and couples who might want to elope should think before they take the plunge
I need a rundown of the advantages and disadvantages of eloping. Let's all see if the disadvantages will not outnumber the advantages by a very wide margin. . . Lol.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Ishilove: 1:07pm On Jan 27, 2013
Do people still elope?

Love is blind, but na inside marriage the blindness dey clear.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by sunnyt1(m): 1:09pm On Jan 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

I believe you have not seen or heard cases of people being opposed based on sentimental reasons.

"He is too short ___ short people are normally temperamental".

she is from Ijebu ode, those people are normally high sense people.

I like ur thoughtful points, dats y u need to sit and debate it out wit them, eloping is nt the only and best option.

The madness wit eloping is whe trouble comes (and they will surely show up) u will them come back to the people u absconded frm.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by cigaricon(m): 1:12pm On Jan 27, 2013
Erm what I want to underdtand is why my parent will want to be against the one I love

Eloping in my own opinion is not a good idea. Just as sexkills said; u have to stand ur ground and thrash out any thing ur parents have against ur love affair, raeson with them and clear their doubt if u know u two are meant to be. Mehn what if u elope with ur lover and tomorrow something happens to her, maybe she dies or something u will may be charged for abduction. Its just like running from pillar to pole
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by cyril83(m): 1:14pm On Jan 27, 2013
sexkillz: I need a rundown of the advantages and disadvantages of eloping. Let's all see if the disadvantages will not outnumber the advantages by a very wide margin. . . Lol.
You may be right but one has to consider the consequences of Unfulfilled Wedding Dreams by not eloping
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jan 27, 2013
cyril83: You may be right but one has to consider the consequences of Unfulfilled Wedding Dreams by not eloping
A broken courtship is better than a broken home. . .

Besides, no one has deemed your wedding dreams "un-realizable". But you won't even achieve that dream by running away like a fugitive and hiding from people who love you.

Stand your ground and thrash issues out and win the admiration of your parents.

Leave the eloping for teenagers Wey Neva sabi wetin life or love be.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Smartiegurl(f): 1:26pm On Jan 27, 2013
Some persons here amuse me. . . . . . When you eventually elope and maybe at the end of the day thngs becomes difficult for you two.. . . . . .lol. .i wonder who you wil run to. Your parents that were against your love affair? Your friends? Jst curious.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by sunnyt1(m): 1:28pm On Jan 27, 2013
Smartie gurl: Some persons here amuse me. . . . . . When you eventually elope and maybe at the end of the day thngs becomes difficult for you two.. . . . . .lol. .i wonder who you wil run to. Your parents that were against your love affair? Your friends? Jst curious.

Thats my point
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by eagleeye2: 1:31pm On Jan 27, 2013
I will rather not use the word ELOPING. I would rather say that sometimes the parties involved need to move away from prying or meddling parents.
I once heard of a woman who never got married, because the man of her dreams was opposed by her parents. As a result the relationship has to break up. After the break up the woman left the country. Though she now has a daughter, but she never did get over that heart break.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by eagleeye2: 1:34pm On Jan 27, 2013
Smartie gurl: Some persons here amuse me. . . . . . When you eventually elope and maybe at the end of the day thngs becomes difficult for you two.. . . . . .lol. .i wonder who you wil run to. Your parents that were against your love affair? Your friends? Jst curious.

Some people mistake Infatuation for Love. You will only regret your actions if you were infatuated.
But if it was true Love (which is very rare) no matter the difficulty, you will never regret any actions you take in defence of that love.

Even death or eventual break up with your partner, cannot make you regret actions taken in defence of true love.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by cyril83(m): 1:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
sexkillz: A broken courtship is better than a broken home. . .

Besides, no one has deemed your wedding dreams "un-realizable". But you won't even achieve that dream by running away like a fugitive and hiding from people who love you.

Stand your ground and thrash issues out and win the admiration of your parents.

Leave the eloping for teenagers Wey Neva sabi wetin life or love be.

do you believe the party planning and family disapproval are just too much pressure sometimes. One shouldn't get worried about what your family want, you have to do what you want.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by eagleeye2: 1:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
These days we are celebrating divorced cases of once a big society wedding, having the blessings of both parents.
If it were true love devoid of interferences.... I doubt divorce will be so rampant.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by cyril83(m): 1:46pm On Jan 27, 2013
You can elope and then when you get back have a small party for close friends and family. That way your family can still be part of the celebration and that will make them to get over it once they realize that you two are happily married couple.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Orikinla(m): 1:57pm On Jan 27, 2013
I refused to elope in the early 20s when my girlfriend was only 18 and wanted us to elope to Republic of Benin. I did not do it, because I thought she was love crazy. But I was not so crazy in love with her. And eloping would have broken my mother's heart who was a widow and protected me from bad girls then.
Another claimed to be pregnant and wanted to run away from home and join me. But I did not agree with her.
Many Nigerian girls can be crazy in love.

I always like dating and courtship with the blessings of parents instead of stealing their daughter by eloping with her and later be accused of abduction.

Famous Prof. J.P Clark and his wife Prof. Ebun Clark actually eloped as love birds.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by segun688: 2:10pm On Jan 27, 2013
the issue of eloping or not eloping is a very personal one. I have seen marriages that had blessings and approval from friends, parents and everyone go down in shambles, i have also seen people that stood their ground still happily married till today. Marriage is a very personal decision, and i personally feel that the issue of "parental blessings" are over stressed. I am not saying their blessings should be discarded or not sought out, but you should realize that at the end of the day YOU alone are in the marriage. YOU are the one living with your spouse, it doesn't get any more personal than this. Approval from people doesn't guarantee success in marriages. What matters is God and the man and woman involved.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by cyril83(m): 2:15pm On Jan 27, 2013
eagle,eye:
These days we are celebrating divorced cases of once a big society wedding, having the blessings of both parents.
If it were true love devoid of interferences.... I doubt divorce will be so rampant.
Exactly my point.
Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 27, 2013
Are we saying eloping is not a good option if it is the only way their lives can be preserved? I still dey laugh! It is someone who has not seen wahala that calls himself a man, when the trouble comes no body will tell you b4 u become elopee. I have seen a man who was ready to kill his child because the child was about to marry frm a family he detested.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Reasonable People Elope? by Smartiegurl(f): 3:14pm On Jan 27, 2013
segun688: the issue of eloping or not eloping is a very personal one. I have seen marriages that had blessings and approval from friends, parents and everyone go down in shambles, i have also seen people that stood their ground still happily married till today. Marriage is a very personal decision, and i personally feel that the issue of "parental blessings" are over stressed. I am not saying their blessings should be discarded or not sought out, but you should realize that at the end of the day YOU alone are in the marriage. YOU are the one living with your spouse, it doesn't get any more personal than this. Approval from people doesn't guarantee success in marriages. What matters is God and the man and woman involved.
that sounds convincing!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sexiest Girls On Nairaland!!! / He Wants Me As A Housewife. I Want My Phd / White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.