Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,688 members, 7,820,395 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? (9406 Views)

What Igbos Would Do Differently In Republic Of Biafra / Bukola Saraki Is The Senate President Of The 8th NASS / 6 Types Of Voters In Nigeria. What Type Are You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Wallie(m): 3:50pm On Jan 28, 2013
It is very easy to find fault in what someone else did or his doing; however, we find it difficult to profess a workable solution facing the same constraints. For one reason or another, some people feel jaded and/or disillusioned because GEJ has not lived up to their expectations, regardless of whether their expectations were reasonable or not.

In the interest of full disclosure, I’m one of those people but I constantly ask myself if I can do any better facing the same constraints – some of the constraints which probably fostered me into power. I won’t answer the question so as not to set the tone of this post by seeming to be anti or pro GEJ.

However, the question for you is:

If you wake up tomorrow and find yourself to be the President of Nigeria, what would you do about the following and how would you do it? The “how” is the most important part of this exercise.

1. Boko Haram, MEND, OPC etc (any armed group)
2. Police and their inadequacies
3. Manufacturing including import/export
4. Youth unemployment
5. Taxes
6. Crude Oil revenue
7. Mineral resources (mines)
8. Healthcare
9. Education
10. Federal infrastructure (power supply, roads, railways, airports, ports, waterways etc)
11. Food supply (agriculture)
12. Corruption including fraud/embezzlement
13. Allegation of corruption against former politicians
14. Judiciary
15. How will you select your cabinet

Keep in mind that you are a democratically elected President which means that you must act within the constitution. For example, you can’t just say you will throw former politicians alleged to be corrupt in jail without due process. You will have to charge them to court and seek a conviction against them from judges that may or may not be corrupt.

EDIT....

I'm going to phrase the question differently to allow for more answers.

Are you currently happy with Nigeria the way it is? If not, what are you not happy about and how will you change it?

1 Like

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by AjanleKoko: 4:19pm On Jan 28, 2013
I would only do one thing different from GEJ.
Stay the heck away from giving press interviews. lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by k2039: 6:57pm On Jan 28, 2013
9. Education
Basically, out of all the points listed, this had a tremendous effect on my life.
I'm a product of it.
More funds and infrastructures, those in position of authorities(from VC's to Principals should also be held accountable for funds spent.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by anulaxad(m): 7:06pm On Jan 28, 2013
talk talk talk,

all that is needed is implemented focus on infrastructure like world class roads, hospitals,housing,and education,and more.

2 Likes

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by gratiaeo(m): 8:29pm On Jan 28, 2013
If i ever became the president of this great country......
(1) I'll publicly legalize corruption
(2) I less than 3days in my office i ll announce free drink (beers and wine ll run in the street pipeline)
(3) I'll scrap out court, (since Nigerian judge can only send somebody who stole 23:3bn naira pensions money 2yrs in jail with option of 250,000 naira) no need. Of having them at all

5 Likes

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by gramci: 8:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
Build prison in every local government of this country.

1 Like

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Wallie(m): 11:16pm On Jan 29, 2013
Corruption
1. Automatic 1 year jail term for every $1 million stolen. You can reduce your jail term by paying the jail term down. For example, if you return $1m you are guilty of looting, your sentence will be reduced 1/10th of 1 year. To avoid jail, you will need to pay back 10 times the stolen amount.
2. Breach of public duty not involving money will result in a punishment ranging from termination to a 3-month jail term. If it involves money, more time will be added to the 3-month. This is needed for public official that derelict their duty.
3. Former politicians will need to explain the source of their wealth otherwise they will forfeit what can’t be explained.

Taxes
4. Everybody will be issued a unique National Identity number. The number will be needed to get any service regulated by the government e.g schools, hospitals, electricity, traveling outside the country, opening a bank account, etc
5. Everybody over the age of 21 will have to file a tax return at the end of the year even if unemployed.
6. The federal tax rate will be a flat rate of 20%.
7. Every house will pay property taxes based on the size of the house and land but I would exempt rental properties of 4 or more units.
8. Every vehicle except commercial vehicles will pay road usage tax based on the size and year of the vehicle. Vehicles over 20 years will pay no taxes. Basically, my tax policy will tax the rich more because of their consumption since they buy the newer cars and live in bigger houses.

Youth Unemployment
9. Unemployed people can get up to NGN5000 for free after filing taxes.
10. The tax collecting agency will need more tax inspectors for tax auditing.
11. People will be audited randomly for paid taxes and if your lifestyle does not match your income declared on your tax return, na jail be that!
12. I will be building new prisons and they need to be staffed.

Mineral Resources
13. Mineral resources will belong to the owners of the land but will be taxed and controlled by the government.

Crude Oil Revenue
14. The current crude oil revenue sharing philosophy will be gradually phased out over 10 years and states will be encouraged to generate their own IGR. For each of the 10 years, the revenue to states will be reduced by 10% but the states can get it back by generating an equal amount of IGR.

Healthcare
15. Everybody will be encouraged to own basic healthcare insurance that will cover their basic health needs. This will be done by creating an insurance company that will insure people that filed taxes. An amount of the taxes paid will be paid into the insurance company to insure people.
16. Federally funded technology centers and incubation centers will be created and built in all universities. Their staff will be federal employees and they will be evaluated yearly based on how many successful companies students created.

I'll address the remaining points later…

15 Likes

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by AjanleKoko: 4:45pm On Jan 30, 2013
^^^
Impossible to achieve most of this under a 'democratic' regime undecided
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by iamswizz(m): 5:01pm On Jan 30, 2013
I WILL MAKE SURE I NYASH TONTO DIKEH
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by moneyhungry(m): 5:02pm On Jan 30, 2013
i will keep my looted money in Africa .. not swizz.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Obiora4life: 5:04pm On Jan 30, 2013
My first order of the day is tackle corruption head on, tackle corruption and every other thing else will gradually fall into place.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by kokoye(m): 5:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
Democracy will never help to sort things out in Nigeria. So

- Throw all of those politicians who have embezzeled money in jail and throw away the key.

- Hang corrupt politicians / judges / police for all to see.

- No foreign schools or medicals for govt officials and their families. You have to agree to that before you join.

- I will give federal ministers a free hand to operate and select their teams. But if you fail, na your end be dat. You must sign an agreement form.

just a few.

I know this is an extreme but this is the only way the country can move forward. Nigeria is not like any other country..it is a unique place. And we the citizens celebrate money regardless of how it is made.

2 Likes

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by pure123: 5:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
i will make good available and affordabu, uninterrupted power supply, good roads and petroleum price will b 23NAIRA/LIT.................The rest will go to my foreign account....
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Tjohn1(m): 5:06pm On Jan 30, 2013
Death penalty for corruption and stealing of public funds

3 Likes

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by seedord247(m): 5:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
I will select my cabinet from Nairaland cool

2 Likes

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Obiora4life: 5:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
T-john:
Death penalty for corruption and stealing of public funds

But in a democratic nation, that's for the National Assembly to make the law of death penalty.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
First thing I will do is to probe and try all past/public office holders for corruption.
People who stole over 100 million naira will attract a life sentence.
Over 1 Billion will get a death sentence.
Lower amounts will attract long years.
No one will be spared.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Donlexino(m): 5:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
it seems alot of guyz here dnt even av a job!
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
AjanleKoko: ^^^
Impossible to achieve most of this under a 'democratic' regime undecided

I agree. Too many of the changes needed for Nigeria to progress are extremely painful measures that will be seriously resisted, not just by the status quo elements but also by unenlightened Nigerians (take the fuel subsidy removal as an instance).

Also many changes require some serious legal reform. For example, the jail terms for corrupt officials Wallie referred to cannot just be slammed by the president, the current criminal code must be repealed by the National Assembly. Now how will that be achieved if you have a National Assembly that has been bought over by entrenched interests? It will be one LONG battle just to get one progressive law passed.

To be Naija presido no be small thing abeg. That doesn't excuse the dismal performance of the current occupant though!
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Saravejo(m): 5:16pm On Jan 30, 2013
I wil make sure dat al d senate neva get thier bonus again and dialogue wit d aboki boyz[BH]. I wil fire bot minista 4 petroleun nd dat of finance, shikena!!
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Afam4eva(m): 5:16pm On Jan 30, 2013
The problems in Nigeria are cumbersome and it will not be wise to try to tackle of of them. What i'll do will be to go to the root of all these problems and solve it then every other thing will fall into place.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Drdaps(m): 5:17pm On Jan 30, 2013
I will always remeber this yoruba proverb
enu dun rofo agada owo dun be igi
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by drealnamdy(m): 5:17pm On Jan 30, 2013
angry
Wallie: Corruption
1. Automatic 1 year jail term for every $1 million stolen. You can reduce your jail term by paying the jail term down. For example, if you return $1m you are guilty of looting, your sentence will be reduced 1/10th of 1 year. To avoid jail, you will need to pay back 10 times the stolen amount.
2. Breach of public duty not involving money will result in a punishment ranging from termination to a 3-month jail term. If it involves money, more time will be added to the 3-month. This is needed for public official that derelict their duty.

@People will be audited randomly for paid taxes and if your lifestyle does not match your income declared on your tax return, na jail be that!
3. Former politicians will need to explain the source of their wealth otherwise they will forfeit what can’t be explained.

Taxes
4. Everybody will be issued a unique National Identity number. The number will be needed to get any service regulated by the government e.g schools, hospitals, electricity, traveling outside the country, opening a bank account, etc
5. Everybody over the age of 21 will have to file a tax return at the end of the year even if unemployed.
6. The federal tax rate will be a flat rate of 20%.
7. Every house will pay property taxes based on the size of the house and land but I would exempt rental properties of 4 or more units.
8. Every vehicle except commercial vehicles will pay road usage tax based on the size and year of the vehicle. Vehicles over 20 years will pay no taxes. Basically, my tax policy will tax the rich more because of their consumption since they buy the newer cars and live in bigger houses.

Youth Unemployment
9. Unemployed people can get up to NGN5000 for free after filing taxes.
10. The tax collecting agency will need more tax inspectors for tax auditing.
11. People will be audited randomly for paid taxes and if your lifestyle does not match your income declared on your tax return, na jail be that!
12. I will be building new prisons and they need to be staffed.

Mineral Resources
13. Mineral resources will belong to the owners of the land but will be taxed and controlled by the government.

Crude Oil Revenue
14. The current crude oil revenue sharing philosophy will be gradually phased out over 10 years and states will be encouraged to generate their own IGR. For each of the 10 years, the revenue to states will be reduced by 10% but the states can get it back by generating an equal amount of IGR.

Healthcare
15. Everybody will be encouraged to own basic healthcare insurance that will cover their basic health needs. This will be done by creating an insurance company that will insure people that filed taxes. An amount of the taxes paid will be paid into the insurance company to insure people.
16. Federally funded technology centers and incubation centers will be created and built in all universities. Their staff will be federal employees and they will be evaluated yearly based on how many successful companies students created.

I'll address the remaining points later…

@ this singular post
People will be audited randomly for paid taxes and if your lifestyle does not match your income declared on your tax return, na jail be that!

Ur fadaa!!! angry
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jan 30, 2013
If I am president, I will employ technocrats into key positions not having someone like obada as defense minister or that ape as labour minister.
I would have someone like Machiavelli as my spokesperson not okukpe
I would have jack Bauer as my police chief not mohammed
My wife would be someone like the late Diana not patience
My petroleum minister will not be showing up to work with pancake
My central bank governor will be thomas maltus.......
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Greatken007(m): 5:19pm On Jan 30, 2013
all my ministers will be appointed among secondary TEACHERs and lecturers ,they are the best economist the world has ever produced,no work no pay for all the governors,DEATH penalty for kidnappers and terrorist,no domestic flight,speed train all the way

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Philolos: 5:19pm On Jan 30, 2013
Wallie: It is very easy to find fault in what someone else did or his doing; however, we find it difficult to profess a workable solution facing the same constraints. For one reason or another, some people feel jaded and/or disillusioned because GEJ has not lived up to their expectations, regardless of whether their expectations were reasonable or not.

In the interest of full disclosure, I’m one of those people but I constantly ask myself if I can do any better facing the same constraints – some of the constraints which probably fostered me into power. I won’t answer the question so as not to set the tone of this post by seeming to be anti or pro GEJ.

However, the question for you is:

If you wake up tomorrow and find yourself to be the President of Nigeria, what would you do about the following and how would you do it? The “how” is the most important part of this exercise.

1. Boko Haram, MEND, OPC etc (any armed group)
2. Police and their inadequacies
3. Manufacturing including import/export
4. Youth unemployment
5. Taxes
6. Crude Oil revenue
7. Mineral resources (mines)
8. Healthcare
9. Education
10. Federal infrastructure (power supply, roads, railways, airports, ports, waterways etc)
11. Food supply (agriculture)
12. Corruption including fraud/embezzlement
13. Allegation of corruption against former politicians
14. Judiciary
15. How will you select your cabinet

Keep in mind that you are a democratically elected President which means that you must act within the constitution. For example, you can’t just say you will throw former politicians alleged to be corrupt in jail without due process. You will have to charge them to court and seek a conviction against them from judges that may or may not be corrupt.

I would work on myself first in becoming selfless and improve on my communication skills. However, contradictory as this may sound, selfless in the sense of caring less for family and friends, but my country - doing away with nepotism, greed, self-enrichment, etc. I would also surround myself with smart folks: intellectuals, businessman and women alike. I would have a grand vision and plan – hope for the moon with anticipation that in the short term we can reach the clouds. We can become proud again – it’s possible.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Tolexander: 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2013
if i am the president of nigeria,
i wont be as FIGUREHEAD as TAFAWA BALEWA,
TRUST nobody like AGUIYI IROSIN
FORCE UNIONISM on the tribes like YAKUBU GOWON,
be REFORMATIVE as MURITALA MUHAMED,
NONTRIBALISTIC as OLUSEGUN OBASANJO
CORRUPTION FREE as SHEHU SHAGARI
DETEST INDICIPLINE like MOHAMED BUHARI
wont DRIBBLE my nation like IBRAHIM BABANGIDA
wont be as STUPID as ERNEST SHONEKAN
wont CLAIM the public found to my family like SANI ABACHA
as FAITHFUL as ABDUSALAM ABUBAKAR
as COMMANDING as OLUSEGUN OBASANJO
wont be SLOW in action as UMARU MUSA YAR ADUA
wont be CLUELESS as JONATHAN.

2 Likes

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by stupor(m): 5:22pm On Jan 30, 2013
Ah ! Men .

A lot !
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Damojo: 5:24pm On Jan 30, 2013
Legalize prostitution and weed! Armsterdam state oof mind!!

1 Like

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by stupor(m): 5:26pm On Jan 30, 2013
Ah ! Men .

A lot ! I cannot list nów so that present govt won't hijack my profound policies like 'cow boys' that they are !

Let them consult world class professionals,not for struggling Nigerians like me and many others.
So for now,am sealing up my lips and pad.

Nothing's is cheap.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Greatken007(m): 5:29pm On Jan 30, 2013
DESTROY all the shrine because they put us in this mess,when the white were developing our forefathers and foremothers were busy serving JUJU,

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Obiora4life: 5:29pm On Jan 30, 2013
drealnamdy: angry

@ this singular post
People will be audited randomly for paid taxes and if your lifestyle does not match your income declared on your tax return, na jail be that!

Ur fadaa!!! angry

Well, disclose your income like you earn it... Any problem? grin grin

People get randomly audited when there's anomaly or a random spike - so live/pay taxes according to your lifestyle. In fact, I will oversee the Nigerian Internal Revenue Service. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yoruba Youths Congress Endorse GMB / Niger PDP Guber Primaries:  Stakeholders Hail Dr Baraka Sani's Exemplary Conduct / Ebonyi Signs $4m Solar-system Production Agreement With Chinese Coy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.