Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey (8384 Views)

Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge / d / Selling Our House in NNPC Snr Qtrs, Area 11 Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 4:32am On Feb 01, 2013
Hello and welcome to my construction journal!

We are starting another exciting journey of building a multi-family home in a slum in the heart of Ajao Estate, off Airport road, in Isolo Local Government, Lagos state.

Our journey starts now and this is going to be a pleasure ride!

Join us on our journey as we transform our slum from drab to fab!

If this is your first time visiting, please check out our recently completed project, and click here (From Paper to Brick: A Journal of Construction Activities) to link up! We hope to see you soon!

Finished House Picture Below

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 5:04am On Feb 01, 2013
The Land and the Neighbourhood

I just visited the site for the first time yesterday and here's a sneak peek into the environment we are building. More exciting pictures to follow as soon as I discover a vantage point.

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 5:26am On Feb 01, 2013
The House

We’re building a custom 5-bedroom duplex with attached units of 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom house. Commencement is expected sometimes next week, depending on how fast we can tidy up the pre-works. We're creating the access road, storage, tidying up paper works and making all the necessary preparation for a complete take-over.

The Design

I love designing homes, so this was a great opportunity. After checking out the architectural designs, I made few comments about the layout and suggested a layout principles I liked and we've managed to shoehorn it into the design and made it work even better.

Two good heads are better than one.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 11:01am On Feb 01, 2013
Live from the construction site.

Pic 1. The land
Pic 2. Another view of the land
Pic 3. Laterite filling sand delivered
Pic 4. Tearing down the fence for temporary site gate.

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 1:05pm On Feb 01, 2013
Let the game begin.

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by nedu2000(m): 2:11pm On Feb 01, 2013
I'm following U̶̲̥̅̊ U̶̲̥̅̊p....keep it coming
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 5:38pm On Feb 01, 2013
Site preparation ongoing

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 7:51am On Feb 02, 2013
Foundation Type: Pile Foundation

The ground condition here is such that good bearing ground are found at impracticable levels; therefore making the use of traditional foundations impossible.

Piles will be bored into the ground to provide support for the groundbeam which will then bear our load from pile to pile.

Good morning!
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 3:10am On Feb 03, 2013
Yesterday...

- Site Preparation continues
- Woods and planks for the site store and temporary site gate were delivered.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 1:43am On Feb 04, 2013
Update:

The carpenters have put up the site store and a temporary gate for the site.

We intend to break ground on Tuesday but we're having a very serious issue with the type of foundation. The architect said there's no need for piling, the structural engineer said we should do piling.

I'm neutral here because I wasn't involved in the design but if you ask me "who's right and what should be done?" I'll go with the Structural Engineer. He knows more about foundation and structural loading than an architect provided he knew exactly what he's doing o.

However, I've suggested to the client to allow us do trial holes.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 11:44am On Feb 04, 2013
Progress Pix

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by segcymoor(m): 8:45pm On Feb 04, 2013
Better still approach it in a professional manner. It takes less than 200k to carry out soil test& invesigation...Go for it! to be on safe side
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 12:18am On Feb 05, 2013
segcy.moor:
Better still approach it in a professional manner. It takes less than 200k to carry out soil test& invesigation...Go for it! to be on safe side

Gbam! The oracle have spoken.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 7:58am On Feb 05, 2013
Meetings: a good way to kill productivity!

Many traditional clients love meetings. And for the most part, I’m not sure why. I had a meeting yesterday with the architect, the client and the supplier and for the most part of it, I can't figure out why the meeting was needed. The architect hasn't finish his job, the laptop battery is flat, the drawings needs amendment and we're there sitting together to fix what wasn't broken.

A good team needs to be agile enough to make most decisions on their own after initial planning phases. Of course, one of the reason why I like the guys at 'MastersTouch Studio'.

If you can’t trust your architect, designers, engineers or team members to make most decisions on your behalf, I think it’s time to get a new team.

Stop eating into hours where real productive work gets done.

1 Like

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 7:00am On Feb 07, 2013
Project Officially Declared Open.

Preparing the land has consisted of taking out unwanted plants and shrubs, lots and lots of dirt as this plot seems to be the dumping site in the neighbourhood, and just taking a look at the prepared land - I am not too disappointed.

Progress pictures are soon to come. Watch this space!
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 8:55am On Feb 07, 2013
Progress pics

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 1:07pm On Feb 07, 2013
Soil Sample at 6m depth

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 3:25pm On Feb 08, 2013
Happening Now

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 6:05pm On Feb 08, 2013
Constructions of buildings and other engineering structures on soft (weak) soils usually posses a lot of problems such as excessive/differential settlement, deformation and stability problem.

To avoid such problem in our project, we have decided to use soil improvement and stabilization method using pile/column like elements.

The Technique

Our technique is very simple and one of the basic principle of the technique is to relieve the load on the soft soils without altering the soil structure. This is achieved by installing column- or pile-type structures in a grid pattern into a bearing layer.

On top of the columns, we are going to install a load transfer mat or pile cap so that the compressibility of the ground can be reduced and the bearing capacity and shear strength increased.

To minimise the settlement of the shallow foundation of our building, we've installed 34 stabilizing-columns in a grid system of 3 x 3 m. Our columns have a diameter of 30 cm and a length of 4m each.

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by tundysho(m): 7:51pm On Feb 08, 2013
brabus: Constructions of buildings and other engineering structures on soft (weak) soils usually posses a lot of problems such as excessive/differential settlement, deformation and stability problem.

To avoid such problem in our project, we have decided to use soil improvement and stabilization method using pile/column like elements.

The Technique

Our technique is very simple and one of the basic principle of the technique is to relieve the load on the soft soils without altering the soil structure. This is achieved by installing column- or pile-type structures in a grid pattern into a bearing layer.

On top of the columns, we are going to install a load transfer mat or pile cap so that the compressibility of the ground can be reduced and the bearing capacity and shear strength increased.

To minimise the settlement of the shallow foundation of our building, we've installed 34 stabilizing-columns in a grid system of 3 x 3 m. Our columns have a diameter of 30 cm and a length of 4m each.

I can see you are truly a guru in this field,keep it up men!
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 7:44am On Feb 09, 2013
tundysho:

I can see you are truly a guru in this field,keep it up men!

The Gospel of Solid Foundation according to the Book of Matthew

Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock. The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it didn't fall, for it was founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of mine, and doesn't do them will be like a foolish man, who built his house on the sand. The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.

— Matthew 7:24–27

I want to believe we all agree, when it comes to building a house, the place to start is with a firm foundation.

A single storey house sitting on thirty-four, 15-foot pile, is as substantial as any building founded on solid rock.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 4:32pm On Feb 11, 2013
Today in pictures | Pile Caps

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 4:35pm On Feb 11, 2013
More

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by omoabike: 9:12pm On Feb 11, 2013
Brabus
Can you please help answer the question I just asked on the aluminum cladding in your thread about the two houses in Lekki.
Thanks
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 9:53pm On Feb 11, 2013
omoabike: Brabus
Can you please help answer the question I just asked on the aluminum cladding in your thread about the two houses in Lekki.
Thanks

I've answered your question here.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 9:36am On Feb 13, 2013
Progress pics.

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 2:00pm On Feb 15, 2013
Happening Now

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 10:17pm On Feb 25, 2013
It has been a while since my last update on this thread the project is moving according to schedule and a lot have happened lately.

We've poured the ground beam and right now we are sand filling the foundation.

Pictures to be updated soon.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 11:41am On Feb 28, 2013
Filling Works

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 11:44am On Feb 28, 2013
And this

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 6:39pm On Mar 04, 2013
Filling the void

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 5:38am On Mar 15, 2013
Progress Pic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala / Execuitive Flat To Let @ Yaba / [album Download.] Eminem Revival Full Direct. Zip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.