Stats: 3,154,073 members, 7,821,691 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge (11425 Views)

Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … / Who Is To Pay The Lagos Land Use Charge?? / Who Is To Pay The Lagos Land Use Charge?? (2) (3) (4)

Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 1:11am On Nov 22, 2013
[img]http://2.bp..com/-fPz-XguAt3c/Uo6dkiK-qoI/AAAAAAAABCA/uKtmF5F0nPY/s400/IMG_6160.JPG[/img]

Right now, i need some good advise.
Few months ago, we rented a house in vgc. Lagos. Ever since we rented that house, we have been paying one bill or another. (water, light, fumigation, cleaners)... as in the bills toooo much

straight to the point...

Today, the Lagos state government sealed the house due to land use charges running into over 1.5. Million Naira.

They say its accumulated land use charge for about 8-10 Years now.
The annoying thing is that we only moved into the house last month and we weren't the ones living there for all the years the land charge was accumulating.

When we got home today, out of annoyance, i wanted to break the padlock but my dad cautioned me against it and right now we are staying at our older house at Ikeja.

Please we need assistance from Anyone that knows anything about this or has some experience on how to deal with this kind of palava.

Why should we pay accumulated land use charge when we only moved in recently
If the state government had done what they were supposed to do when they were supposed to do it, then we wouldn't be having this issue.

Finally the area fine sha... i sweeear!!

Thank you.
[img]http://4.bp..com/-RlL4th35y44/Uo6d1tezi0I/AAAAAAAABCY/PXtyh049c5U/s400/IMG_6134.JPG[/img]

http://spankthedonut..com/2013/11/help-oh-lagos-state-government-seals.html#more
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by idupaul: 1:24am On Nov 22, 2013
Talk to the landlord .. Land Use charges are charged to Landlords and not tennants..

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 1:29am On Nov 22, 2013
idupaul: Talk to the landlord .. Land Use charges are charged to Landlords and not tennants..

we are planning to buy the house and the "rent fee" we paid is like a trial buy.
We plan living there for 2 years first and if its cool, we make full payment... To be honest, i don't know who the landlord is.. i have never used my korokoro eyes to see him...

what you said is a great idea.
I will mention that to my folks this morning.
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by atlwireles: 1:42am On Nov 22, 2013
icebeatz:

we are planning to buy the house and the "rent fee" we paid is like a trial buy.
We plan living there for 2 years first and if its cool, we make full payment... To be honest, i don't know who the landlord is.. i have never used my korokoro eyes to see him...

what you said is a great idea.
I will mention that to my folks this morning.

You are renting, move your stuff out of that house and allow the landlord deal with Lagos State. There's nothing you cannot do about this without coming up with some of the money or all of the money owned. Look for the landlord and let him deal with his problem.
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by ProfessorPeter(m): 2:19am On Nov 22, 2013
If i shout APC you shout change. Let's go APCccccccccccccccccccccc, slaveryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Shut up! You are a PDP member

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 2:52am On Nov 22, 2013
atlwireles:

You are renting, move your stuff out of that house and allow the landlord deal with Lagos State. There's nothing you cannot do about this without coming up with some of the money or all of the money owned. Look for the landlord and let him deal with his problem.

Lol.. right now, most of our propertie arelocked inide.
Wehave enough to wear and in the other house in ikeja.

Is it posible for us to pay installmentally??

Or geta pardon by paying a part of the fee??
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 4:51am On Nov 22, 2013
O boy, go to their office,find the guy that sealed it personally and offer him a bride to extend your stay. That's probably what other occupants did and the bill ran into millions after which they ran away...we are nigeria bro,everyone has a price, you just need to offer them the right price (famous anambra quote)

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by otokx(m): 7:06am On Nov 22, 2013
You guys should have done a lot of background check before attempting to buy that property. The tax has to be paid one way or the other, 1.5m should not be too much for you guys considering the property may be as high as 20m if not more.
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 7:28am On Nov 22, 2013
When you have decided to rent or buy a house in VGC,be ready to pay crazy bills regularly.
In this kind of situation,the landlord will suddenly disappear and you won't hear a word from him. Why should he have to let the fee accumulate up to that level? Your landlord should be held responsible. You won't suffer for what is not your fault. Put pressure on your landlord until he pays the fees. If you can't get through to the landlord,you talk to the house agent.
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by gurnam: 7:29am On Nov 22, 2013
Your Dad is a big man.....let him go and clear the arrears and deduct from whatever other payment you are going to make to the landlord.
Don't attempt to cutting corners.....or else we will term you an economic sabotage.

Pay our charges.

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 7:32am On Nov 22, 2013
gurnam: Your Dad is a big man.....let him go and clear the arrears and deduct from whatever other payment you are going to make to the landlord.
Don't attempt to cutting corners.....or else we will term you an economic sabotage.

Pay our charges.
Don't you think there's need for a written agreement before clearing the bills?

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by bolayei: 8:09am On Nov 22, 2013
Na wa o o, this thing is easy to sort out but there might be a twist to it. You said you have not seen the landlord but you must have seen the agent? why not go to him and complain to him, i'm sure you paid admin or agent fee or whatever or better still go to lagos state government and explain the problem to them i am sure they will understand and give you concession.

But go with the 1.5m i am sure your folks can raise it and pay it and have it documented properly do not try and bribe anybody(dat rubbish must stop), pay it and if you decide to buy the house deduct it from whatever the cost will be.

Talking about bills, you sef talk am na say e fine, fine comes with a price. Lets just say the charge na wetin we dey call council tax here, the least anybody dey pay here na from £800 per annum, so if the whole naija wan be like vgc them get to ready pay the bills, see me so if i go back home na country side i dey go chuck myself no time, if i wan live the life of bills i go just remain here.

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Latnok95(m): 8:43am On Nov 22, 2013
Lagos State Government in VGC? undecided , wetin do HFP?
Btw.. Meet the agent that gave the house to ur old man and for the Bills, the only way to escape is to be a gateman there cheesy

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by tellwisdom: 9:48am On Nov 22, 2013
Seal?? U no tell them sey u wan comot ur bed?? angry. Where will you sleep??
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by yomalex(m): 9:49am On Nov 22, 2013
seek a lawyer

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Okijajuju1(m): 9:49am On Nov 22, 2013
icebeatz: [img]http://2.bp..com/-fPz-XguAt3c/Uo6dkiK-qoI/AAAAAAAABCA/uKtmF5F0nPY/s400/IMG_6160.JPG[/img]

Right now, i need some good advise.
Few months ago, we rented a house in vgc. Lagos. Ever since we rented that house, we have been paying one bill or another. (water, light, fumigation, cleaners)... as in the bills toooo much

straight to the point...

Today, the Lagos state government sealed the house due to land use charges running into over 1.5. Million Naira.

They say its accumulated land use charge for about 8-10 Years now.
The annoying thing is that we only moved into the house last month and we weren't the ones living there for all the years the land charge was accumulating.

When we got home today, out of annoyance, i wanted to break the padlock but my dad cautioned me against it and right now we are staying at our older house at Ikeja.

Please we need assistance from Anyone that knows anything about this or has some experience on how to deal with this kind of palava.

Why should we pay accumulated land use charge when we only moved in recently
If the state government had done what they were supposed to do when they were supposed to do it, then we wouldn't be having this issue.

Finally the area fine sha... i sweeear!!

Thank you.
[img]http://4.bp..com/-RlL4th35y44/Uo6d1tezi0I/AAAAAAAABCY/PXtyh049c5U/s400/IMG_6134.JPG[/img]

http://spankthedonut..com/2013/11/help-oh-lagos-state-government-seals.html#more

Ask your landlord to either pay the charges or refund you your money with a premium for breach of contract. Your Landlord knowingly rented you a defective property. DOnt you dare break the padlock of the government o!! Na jail time sure pass for you.

This is not your beef..

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Swiftlee(m): 9:51am On Nov 22, 2013
Just drag the former occupants into the matter, if you guys can. Let them provide former bill certificates so you can start from there; locate the landlord and hire a lawyer to sort out this case! Its a big one you know grin

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 22, 2013
I can help you break the padlock and you can just say Yoruba_Jesus did it.

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by hooper: 10:00am On Nov 22, 2013
YOU HAVE TO PAY IT..
IF A NEW GOVERNMENT TAKES OVER THE MANTLE OF A STATE, THE GOVERNOR HAVE TO PAY THE DEBIT HE MEET ON GROUND..

ARE U TRULY INDIGENE OF LAGOS?
HOPE YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THE IGBOS SOJOURNING IN LAGOS...
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Leadn(m): 10:01am On Nov 22, 2013
Talk to yur landlord sha... my p-man gets his bill every year usually 3k+ and pays asap... location Ajao Estate. . Yur land is the probs sire...

anyways, meet the tenager who kills with a single punch!
http://xtremegists.com/lomax-the-teenager-who-kills-with-a-single-punch/
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by VirginFinder: 10:02am On Nov 22, 2013
I don't fancy anything outside Lagos(Lagos Island is also referred to as Lagos or Eko which is most proper instead 'Island')/VI/Ikoyi/Lekki.

Other places beyond the above are full of wannabes who want to live 'on the Island' at all cost.

Nonsense! You are no islanders! You are on another mainland or better still a peninsula.

mtcheeeeeew!!!
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Fazhy: 10:03am On Nov 22, 2013
atlwireles:

Exactly what I did.

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by solacec4t(f): 10:05am On Nov 22, 2013
You guys should talk to the Landlord.

something similar happened to one of my uncles who recently moved into an apartment in ph.
few days after he had settled, PHCN brought bills accumulated by the previous occupant
after all said and done, the Landlord sorted it out with them.
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by angelz(f): 10:07am On Nov 22, 2013
@swiftlee. Ur signature is funny.

@ Op. Get in touch with the Landlord or agent n sort the matter out.
Its their mess, let them clean it.
If they refuse or are reluctant, u guys can get a court order or a legal doc,
if there is anything like that, to prove you did pay their debt to the Government and this will be deducted
from future rent payments or when u eventually buy the house.
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 22, 2013
This is a simple case, since you've not bought the house outrightly, then the problem belongs to the landlord who allowed the charges accumulate to this point, go to him or his agents to sort it out. If you don't want to lose your rent money and you're okay with the house maybe you'll just do as people have suggested and make an agreement with the present owner to pay the charges and deduct from the payment for the house, I'm saying this because the landlord might be unwilling to pay the state govt. and you'll be unable to get your money back from him easily.

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by nikkyshyne(f): 10:09am On Nov 22, 2013
Living in VGC and still use a 3310? tongue

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:13am On Nov 22, 2013
Its just a 'small' price u av to pay for negligence. As a normal human being taking over a new property, don't u knw u need to investigate by checking that all bills are up to date? Even the electricity bills as much as it is.

U don't by the boday of a 'good car', u need the engine, check the mileage, service log etc!

Sorry o..
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 22, 2013
Guy if you can afford the money just pay up and forget joo. As Big boy consine coolgrin
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 22, 2013
1.5 m land use charge for a residence?

is this an ultra high value area

your landlord has fked you

http://xelpost.com/regex/understanding-land-use-charge-of-lagos-state-nigeria/

Who is responsible for payment of Land Use Charge?
The Lagos State Land Use Charge Law which was enacted back in 2001 clearly says that any occupier of a property is responsible for the payment of the charge, which can and should be refunded by the property owner. The amount payable is dependent on factors such as the type of property and its use.
Section 10 and 11 of the law states that the collecting authority (That is the Local Government Council Area) may declare any person, including occupier of chargeable property to be the agent of the property owner and such person will become liable for payment of the charge on behalf of the owner from the money due by him or becomes due by him for payment to the owner. The payment of the charge will become recoverable from the agent where the owner defaults in payment.
Section 11 states that the agent will be indemnified against the owner for such payment made by him. Hence, it’s the property owner that is responsible for the payment of the charge and where the tenant pays, such money should be refunded.

your 1.5 million has k leg

How is LUC calculated?
Where a property is located has nothing to how Land Use Charge (LUC) is calculated. Nevertheless, the location of the property influences the charge since the location determines the market value of the property. The payable charge is always calculated in percentage of the value of the property.
According to the Land Use Charge website, a 5% increase in mile rate for Lagos State Land Use Charge became effective as of January 1st 2012. The table below shows the categories of properties, the old rate and the new rate.
Category Old Rate (%) New Rate (%) [5% increase]
Owner Occupied 0.0375 0.0394
Industrial, Educational and Third party 0.125 0.132
Commercial Revenue Generating 0.375 0.374

For instance, a residential property occupied by the owner with open market value of N90, 000,000
Current open market value @ 50% of open market value adopted by LRC = 50% of 90,000,000 = N45,000,000

LUC will be 0.0394% of 45,000,000 = N17, 730

the whole land use charge thingy started in 2001 - i am struggling to imagine how 12 years unpaid land use charge will balloon to 1.5m

something is not right somewhere

http://landusecharge.com/

contact them - it may be some dirty shakedown

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by omonla555: 10:32am On Nov 22, 2013
nikkyshyne: Living in VGC and still use a 3310? tongue

There you are, Poor man mentality, that is why Nigeria will remain backward and corrupt.
For God's sake what has phone got to do with measuring wealth?

Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 22, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/icebeatz/posts

na blogger -

i think one should disregard this poorly put together fable
Re: Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge by gurnam: 10:41am On Nov 22, 2013
berem: Don't you think there's need for a written agreement before clearing the bills?

Land use Charges in Lagos is a serious issue......to avoid embarrassment and possible forfeiture of the rent he has paid, he should approach the LASG for a structured payment but ensure that he carries the Landlord and agent along.

It will be a win-win-win situation for all involved.

Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get / Buying Land In Ikorodu / Cheap Brand New Stunning Duplex To Let In Megamound Estate Ikota Ajah. 1yr Rent

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56