Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,333 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? (10310 Views)

Ordeal Of A Jobseeker Today In Victoria Island,pls Beware / See Ds Interesting Thread I Saw On Twitter,Shows Reality Of Life As A JobSeeker / How A Jobseeker Responded To A Company’s Rejection Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Nobody: 12:35am On Feb 05, 2013
Three years without a job?? God please have mercy. I dont want to stay that long, these three months is enough punishment already
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by oribi(m): 3:45am On Feb 05, 2013
I feel u have to use ur GOD given gifts to produce great ideas.i just finished uni & have nt been idle 2 d best of my knowledge.i killed the mentally of working for anyone long ago,that way ur mind stays sharp.i pray and believe that our youths of today are going to be great.AMEN
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:37am On Feb 05, 2013
After school & havin to wait to begin to work productively can be tiring,but dont worry as long as hope isnt lost,all d experiences will someday be a testimony to encourage others.you can read d post BUSINESSES THAT WILL GIVE U A MEANINGFUL INCOME FLOW CONTINUALLY,why u are waiting u can start something,it shall be well.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by styles2009: 5:42am On Feb 05, 2013
Reading this at 05:22 am on my sofa and i am a little disappointed with many graduates here, who are busy looking for job in Oil and Gas companies without a single experience and its almost the same problems many Nigerians in my country of residence in Europe are facing as many are without any experience and they refuse to learn a trade.

My story: at 14 i knew our education system in Nigeria was a total fraud like a train without tracks, i got an opportunity to learn a skill (Printing) and even today,i still feed with it as part time, Later i taught my self web design and have a popular website online, which most of you visit daily and i earn daily with it,i still pull close to 50-60k/Monthly equivalent in Naira.

This makes me wonder,Should i say our graduates are Lazy or lacking the resources? None of the above, they just want to do white collar jobs, sit in offices,fart at will and get paid.... My friend, it more than that, do a little research around you and look for,what is missing and provide the services, i don,t care ,if you have to clean toilets as long as you are getting paid! Clean 50 toilets weekly for 200Naira and do the maths (Please target only 150 toilets, 30k grin)

Am not here to brag or demoralize you but its just a trend today as many graduate are waiting to get called for a job,when they can start a million naira company with little or no investment.

Have you seen a Nigerian postcard lately?

Any graduate really looking for something to do would get 3-4 business ideas from all i wrote here, I would not tell you exactly,what to do or how to do it, you have to apply your own! Believe me.

Acquiring Masters and PHD certificates are not needed in these hard time,when some mechanics or bread sellers are busy building there dream houses and sending their wards through UNI

Cheers
styles

2 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by elewedu(m): 6:51am On Feb 05, 2013
Those who believe evry graduate should be self employed are jokers.Such meantality is a result of the irresponsibility and failure of the government. Enterpreneuship is not meant for evryone and will not be, some people are just cut out for sometin else other than that. Well bak to the main topic, i stayed at home for six straight month b4 gettin a teaching job..does six months were long and toutuos, i was made humbled, my drive, intelligence failed me, cos i tried evrytin and exhausted all available opportunities just to convince myself I did my own part. The same month i was suppose to start my masters program in unilag , and i got a job in a quasi-multinational corporation,3 years down the line, still there. Even on the job, u still go through a cycle of dissappointments, dashed expectations, and all likes, but dts a topic for anoda day. But finally, what i promised myself when i was looking for a job was that, anytime i ♓ανε d opportunity of gettin a fairly good job , my ultimate career ambition is to save some money to start somethin on my own, at least i will employ someone and contribute in my little way to reduce the unemployment in our nation..for sure, sometime i feel complacent about dis because of the temporary comfort and i get from paid employment..i hope i won't trash d ambition someday.

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by nas4q(m): 7:43am On Feb 05, 2013
I completed my service year in june, 2011. During my service yr, I had applied 4 several jobs bt d manner in which applicant were treated made me think seriously about options dat will make me avoid those embarrasments & dis led me 2 open a viewing centre in my PPA in 2011. Since then i hav never applied 4 a single job. currently my viewing centre pays me 35k monthly.my plans now s to own 5 such viewing centres and open phone, computer and electronic stores. the projected income of 300k is enuf 4 me 4 now.

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by nas4q(m): 8:00am On Feb 05, 2013
tessyade: Most applicants think like you but the issue is: where will the loan come from? Even the banks cannot help with such loan as they will demand collaterals that can make one go mad. Wishing applicants all the best.
If u r focussed, u can save some from your service year & then draw up passionate business plans and explain it 2 ur parents and loved ones, they will top d remaining 4 u. That's hw i got d cash for my business. if u are determined 2 do it, options will com up. cheers
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Maya2pretty(f): 8:06am On Feb 05, 2013
myners007 :
I JST GOT A BANKING JOB AFTER SIX YRS OF NYSC.I THANK GOD COS THOSE YRS WERE LIKE HELL BT NW IM GLAD. WHEN THERE IS LIFE THERE IS HOPE
ah, am so happy 4 u, mine is just one year and am complainin, God is able
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by nas4q(m): 8:11am On Feb 05, 2013
preshuzpearl: Three years without a job?? God please have mercy. I dont want to stay that long, these three months is enough punishment already
It will be a huge risk staying around and hopefully looking for a job. Just think "WHAT IF?" If in the fourth month u got a job which might not be your dream job, good. what if years pass by and nothing? How can one account for the wasted years? engage in something that will make u financially independent and still hope for your dream job.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by nas4q(m): 8:12am On Feb 05, 2013
preshuzpearl: Three years without a job?? God please have mercy. I dont want to stay that long, these three months is enough punishment already
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by TBD(m): 8:17am On Feb 05, 2013
Gentle Naaz: @op, it has nt bn easy o especially in financial aspect. I hv bn coping tru
1. Eatn 2 time a day
2. Always Xplaining 2 my girls y i cnt gv dm money
3. Being stingy evn 2 myslf
4. Visitn my frnds evn wn am nt invited so dat i wl eat in dia home
5. Going 2 many ocasions dat i wl eat dia
stil it has nt bn easy. Last week i fought wt Ecobank manager cos dia bank deductd unnecessarily 4m my account
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by TBD(m): 8:19am On Feb 05, 2013
May God make it easy for all us people are really fustrated in country n our leaders do not see any wrong in their government
Gentle Naaz: @op, it has nt bn easy o especially in financial aspect. I hv bn coping tru
1. Eatn 2 time a day
2. Always Xplaining 2 my girls y i cnt gv dm money
3. Being stingy evn 2 myslf
4. Visitn my frnds evn wn am nt invited so dat i wl eat in dia home
5. Going 2 many ocasions dat i wl eat dia
stil it has nt bn easy. Last week i fought wt Ecobank manager cos dia bank deductd unnecessarily 4m my account
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by TBD(m): 9:28am On Feb 05, 2013
I do not have anything to then to thanking God for the favour n mercy in my life.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by emmanjo: 11:33am On Feb 05, 2013
Gorimakpa: i have been working on and off for three years since after nysc, none can be called a good job. Just managing, and earning less than one needs to settle down and start living an enjohbale life. Yet I have written countless tests and attended several interviews with many big organisations, government agencies etc. No way. At the end of the day, you would hear that some people with connection got employed in these places through the back door.

The bitter truth is that 95% of the good jobs in naija especially government, top companies, etc go to those with connections. The rest of us who dont have connections are left to scramble for the 5% left, and manage all the other poor paying and unstable jobs. Its good to be optimistic, but it is also not good to deceive yourself in order to avoid disappointment. The sad thing is that some of us have clocked around 30 years, and you know that almost all the good companies now would tell you they want only applicants that are less than 26 years, with 2.1 bla bla. How does one cope?

the solution is to keep trying your luck, and attend events where you may meet influential top shots, and tell them your situation. Sometimes one can get big connection from a stranger,not only from your family member.
Gorimakpa: i have been working on and off for three years since after nysc, none can be called a good job. Just managing, and earning less than one needs to settle down and start living an enjohbale life. Yet I have written countless tests and attended several interviews with many big organisations, government agencies etc. No way. At the end of the day, you would hear that some people with connection got employed in these places through the back door.

The bitter truth is that 95% of the good jobs in naija especially government, top companies, etc go to those with connections. The rest of us who dont have connections are left to scramble for the 5% left, and manage all the other poor paying and unstable jobs. Its good to be optimistic, but it is also not good to deceive yourself in order to avoid disappointment. The sad thing is that some of us have clocked around 30 years, and you know that almost all the good companies now would tell you they want only applicants that are less than 26 years, with 2.1 bla bla. How does one cope?

the solution is to keep trying your luck, and attend events where you may meet influential top shots, and tell them your situation. Sometimes one can get big connection from a stranger,not only from your family member.

I do not agree totally with your statistics on 95% of jobs are based on man-know-man. While I know this is true the statistics isn't true. Besides, we need to 'dis-harm' our minds and paradigm from thinking this way...it won't help and can even further make us depressed. I know of a good number of friends, very good number of friends who got wonedrful jobs without knowing anybody/man.

Personally, I have had 3 offers in less than a year, without knowing anybody(2 very big multinationals and one indigenous oil servicing firm) and worked with 2 of the companies. Infact, I started work with one of them 4days to the end of my NYSC. Oh! I didn't make a 1st class and same with ALL of my friends.

We need to change the way we think first, be diligent and strong-willed, and TRUST GOD. Learn not to always depend on man, they are very likely to fail u, even when they are connected. I know very well wht i'm saying.

Just to encourage someone.

Nothing is impossible, aboslutely nothing!

2 Likes

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Fudey(f): 11:55am On Feb 05, 2013
For me i finished my NYSC in 2009 and since then i hv bn hoping 4 a good job but mean while i hv neva been idle,i do a job in a water factory as a production supervision/quality control,i do all d admin n secretarial work there too.my take home salary is just 25k but i am on dis job 2 get all d experience i need 2 run my own factory as soon as am financially fit.also while on dis job i do some stuffs like organizing computer trainings,websites designs and bulk sms although these other ones comes once in a while just 2 support myself.atleast i pay my bills i dnt hv 2 depend on anybody.this is what i do while waiting 4 dat good job 2 come.as 4 msc i hv been denied admision twice 4 d course i intended 2 study.my advice is at any point in time dont be idle but find some thing 2 do and above all,lets hav confidence in God since we dont know any senator as a godfather!
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by rubi96(f): 12:05pm On Feb 05, 2013

lol 2 the bolded, happened to me in one oil and gas company, they employed one lady for the same position just because she was the OGA's mistress leaving those that are even qualified for the job.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
I would like to correct one impression.

Yes it is true that most people get a job based on who they know, but don't be quick to judge that they are or were not qualified.
There is a difference between being qualified i.e having the right qualification and being 'best fit' for a particular Job role.

I repeat it is 1 out of 5 that will recommend a slowpoke and totally unqualified person to pick up a job just because they are connected to them.
you have to understand that the person must at least meet minimum qualification for that position.

That is why you are encouraged to network,
networking removes whatever bias that the hiring manager might have against you, due to the person who recommended you.

I will employ someone who comes highly recommended from someone i respect, as long as they meet minimum requirements.

If you don't come recommended, then you have to bring your A game to the table, because you are automatically your own recommendation. and pray that you do a good enough job of showing your capabilities to actually be considered. and with God on your side, you will be successful.

While they might not be the best fit for the position ('best fit' not 'under qualified), it doesn't exactly mean they are incompetent for the Job.

At the end of the day, it is down to one's performance that determines how they will grow, and of course a little bit of diplomacy and politics, and the sky is your limit.

Best wishes.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by 2sexy(m): 3:14pm On Feb 05, 2013
thank you!
emmanjo: [color=#000099][/color]
I do not agree totally with your statistics on 95% of jobs are based on man-know-man. While I know this is true the statistics isn't true. Besides, we need to 'dis-harm' our minds and paradigm from thinking this way...it won't help and can even further make us depressed. I know of a good number of friends, very good number of friends who got wonedrful jobs without knowing anybody/man.

Personally, I have had 3 offers in less than a year, without knowing anybody(2 very big multinationals and one indigenous oil servicing firm) and worked with 2 of the companies. Infact, I started work with one of them 4days to the end of my NYSC. Oh! I didn't make a 1st class and same with ALL of my friends.

We need to change the way we think first, be diligent and strong-willed, and TRUST GOD. Learn not to always depend on man, they are very likely to fail u, even when they are connected. I know very well wht i'm saying.

Just to encourage someone.

Nothing is impossible, aboslutely nothing!
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by mkoabiola: 5:49pm On Feb 05, 2013
Pls ,which school can I enroll for my PGD?am tired of ds job hunting.
I need to start PGD ASAP.
Any school in s/west is preferable.pls.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by olutobihassan: 5:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
Y'all can make money from talking. check out www.talkingmillionares.net. Talking is actually the business. Refer people to buy a sim card that can call people free with 100MB monthly, 50 free SMS monthly and get paid 1,000 per referral. Make money when the person you refered also refers someone.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by IcecoldDon: 2:36pm On Feb 06, 2013
I don't even know what to say. Let's say for sec Nigeria was not dis completely messed up place it is, u expect some one who sweated n swotted for years in skl doing technical n mindbreaking courses like engineering to suddenly switch easily cos of d economic insanity to " so called self employed" . Nobody seems to refer to how difficult it is getting start- up capital not to talk of incredibly dubious d average Nigeria is,u will b cheated n duped d first tym u do something u r not very used to. As for hoping n praying, I am not against dat but people should stop PRETENDING N HIDING dat 90% of N120 k/ month jobs r strictly by man knw man. case in point d recently concluded inec recruitment. Abeg give me a break.

1 Like

Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 06, 2013
ritux: I finished my NYSC and travelled to UK for my masters. Now I am back in the country hoping to get a job soon. I have sent over 1500 CV within the last six month and I believe I will get a job soon. I will not give up. Like someone said above, I have gotten calls from foreign firms but none yielded positive news but I still believe this Feb will not pass me by God's grace. I have noticed something that security guards even have lot of say in submitting hard copy CV in firms because they will not even want you to go in.
the funny thing is that that same security guard will be the one opening gates for you when u cruze in and out of ur office after gettin the job. Never give up.
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 06, 2013
2sexy: A friend just got employed by Chevron! He is going for his medicals soon, possibly next week... we all wrote the test last year and I am still waiting for interview since the call badge by badge.

that's encouragin! Pls how many stages of tests did u undertake? Wat's it like?
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Freezle(m): 9:18pm On Sep 14, 2022
Freezle:
nice one bolt.
For me i graduated from a respected school here in Nigeria after than i went on for my service. after my service<NYSC> i thought i work but when i tried searching for a job it was becoming tedious and unwise for me to just sit at home saying im looking for a job so i decided to go for my Msc.
currently im done with my Msc so im hoping by GOD grace something would come up. im also trying to get my self in some professional courses not to keep me idle.
just watch and pray by GOD grace everything would work out well.

GOD has been faithful. been 10years and GOD did it
Re: Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? by Das1mama: 8:04am On Sep 15, 2022
okpas111:
DO YOU KNOW THAT MOST NIGERIANS ARE THE COURSE OF THEIR PROBLEMS? BUT ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO DO THAT COS YOU CAN STILL MAKE MUCH MONEY THAN YOU CAN EVER IMAGINE, FOR JUST DOING WHAT YOU DO ALL DAY FOR FREE (TALKING).
More light bro?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ipnx Nigeria Limited Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment (19 Positions) / Which Would You Choose? State Your Reason(s) / How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.