Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ (7006 Views)

The Niger Delta Thanks Pmb For Choosing Ameachi / Corporal Kills Ex-adc To Uduaghan / Do You Think Boko Haram Members, Armed Robbers And Kidnappers Visit Nairaland. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by OurYansh: 2:55am On Feb 04, 2013
Robbers, kidnappers on the rampage in Delta

February 4, 2013 | 1:09 am

News

BY EMMA AMAIZE, AUSTIN OGWUDA, EMMA ARUBI & FESTUS AHON
UGHELLI — IT was a gruesome weekend in Delta State as suspected kidnappers and bandits shot dead three persons, two police officers and a woman, wounded a police and naval officers and seized a Navy Commander.

Two chieftains of the People Democratic Party, PDP, national vice chair, South-South, Dr. Steve Oru and member, House of Representatives, Hon. Ndudi Elumelu, reportedly ambushed by kidnappers, miraculously escaped being kidnapped.

However, Oru, who was shot by the hostage-takers, is currently hospitalised.

Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State was said to have intervened and ordered the security agencies to fish the criminals. He has reviewed the security measures put in place by government and is reportedly coming up with a new strategy in the next few weeks to keep his security and peace agenda aflame.

The State Police Commissioner, Mr. Ikechukwu Aduba,  confirmed the attacks in a telephone interview with Vanguard, saying the police have launched a manhunt for the criminals.

He did not give details, but said: “It was unfortunate, the police, both junior and senior officers, are looking for them. You know, the governor of the state, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, gave us more vehicles and we have a special security patrol team working round the clock. We will get them.”

Kidnappers bundle Navy Commander

However, Vanguard was informed that Navy Commander I. Mohammed, who is based in Lagos, was attacked between Ughelli and Patani on his way from Warri to Port-Harcourt, along the East-West Road by a seven-man robbery gang.

A source said Navy Commander Mohammed tried to make a nippy u-turn when he sighted the heavily armed bandits, operating near Oru Filling Station at about 3.00 p.m, Saturday, but the hoodlums, who had positioned themselves strategically, trapped him and opened gunfire on his vehicle.

It was learnt that the N.5 million cash which was in the possession of the Navy Commander and GSM phones were stolen by the bandits.

Reports said his car, riddled with bullets, was abandoned by the bandits, who bundled him into an SUV they used for the operation and turned in the direction of Warri, but apparently unsatisfied with their loot, they diverted to Agbarho.

His orderly was allegedly shot on the chest region and was said to be in critical state. His actual condition could not be determined at press time.

PDP vice chair shot, orderly killed

The bandits, Vanguard gathered, laid siege to unsuspecting travellers between Orhokpokpor-Agbarho and Uwiamughe-Agbarho on the East-West road at about 2.00 pm.

According to a dependable source, the armed robbers attacked vehicles from both ends of the road, dispossessing their victims of their valuables.

The source, who pleaded anonymity, said an unidentified woman was also shot dead by the dare devil robbers, as she attempted to escape into the bush, adding that the police orderly of Dr Steve Oru, simply identified as Ofor was also killed in an attempt to engage the bandits in a shootout.

Speaking further, the source said: “Dr Steve Oru was shot on his back as he was trying to run into the bush. Many others also sustained bullet injuries as the armed robbers shot sporadically.

“As I speak with you, Governor Uduaghan is very concerned about the health condition of Oru and has directed that he be transferred to a more competent hospital (name withheld) for proper medical attention.”

Bandits lay siege to Elumelu

Similarly, the police aide to Hon Ndudi Elumelu was also killed between Orhia-Abraka and Eku,  by suspected armed bandits who also laid siege to the Eku/Abraka road at about 1.00 pm on Saturday.

A reliable source said suspected robbers, who opened fire, attacked the convoy of Elumelu but the lawmaker narrowly escaped death.

Police orderlies killed

Commissioner Aduba told Vanguard that the suspected kidnappers had wanted to kidnap Oru and Elumelu, but the plot failed, as their aides fought gallantly but were killed in the ensuing battle.

He confirmed that a policeman lost his life in the attack on Elumelu convoy, while in the Oru incident, a policeman was killed and another injured.

Police finger Kelvin, most wanted kidnap suspect

He fingered a notorious kidnap suspect, Kelvin, who had been declared wanted by the police as being responsible for the spate of kidnap and robbery attacks in the state.

The Commissioner said some people in Kokori appeared to be shielding Kelvin from the police, as they were not given the police useful information on his activities and whereabouts.

Aduba said the police in the state would give out N2.5 million soon to informants at Abraka, Warri, Asaba and other parts of the state, who gave the police information that led to the bursting of some kidnap and armed robbery gangs and commended Gov. Uduaghan for the assistance.

Increased patrol

Vanguard observed, yesterday (Sunday) that the special security patrol introduced this year by the state government had intensified security checks in the state.

A combined team of security personnel has taken over the Eku/Abraka road with a view to tracking down the suspected hoodlums.

At Sapele end of the Warri-Benin road, yesterday,  a heavy presence of the special security patrol team was seen by Vanguard, while the Delta segment of the road and Warri-Eku road have been under concentrated patrol by soldiers, drawn mainly from the 3 Battalion, Effurun, Delta State, headed by Lt Col Ifeanyi Otu.

Three-year-old pupil abducted

Meawhile, a pupil, Akachukwu Abatam, was allegedly abducted, Saturday, at about 2.00 p.m by unknown persons.He was said to be returning from his school, Green Height International School.

PPRO, Mr. Ajieh, who confirmed the incident, said Akachukwu’s teacher was being quizzed over the matter.

Corp member killed

A National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, member, identified as Akrigbe, was also shot dead on Saturday by suspected armed robbers, along Bomadi road in the state.

The incident occurred at about 11.00 am around Ode Bridge. The corps member was travelling in an 18-seater Delta mass transit bus heading to Bomadi when tragedy struck.

In another robbery incident at Oleh on Saturday, robbers raided a boutique at Old Emede Road, but the police mobilized and in a gun battle, one of the bandits was killed, while others fled.

Ajieh told Vanguard that on a closer look, the police found out that the deceased robber “was a wanted person who snatched a Toyota Camry from a woman at  Campus gate sometime in October 2012.”

His words: “The police are combing the area for possible arrest of the fleeing gang members.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/robbers-kidnappers-on-the-rampage-in-delta/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by onyekabe(m): 8:09am On Feb 04, 2013
The effect of making the youth jobless. The fool uduagha told us that the ban of okada will reduce crime. Rather crime has increase to the level where women are even kidnap for ransome of less than 10 thousand naira. The police and the army are only guarding only the rich and leaving the poor even when keke riders are been attacked in the presence of police nothing happens. Uduagha gov has made delta state a crime state
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by OurYansh: 8:45am On Feb 04, 2013
onyekabe: The effect of making the youth jobless. The fool uduagha told us that the ban of okada will reduce crime. Rather crime has increase to the level where women are even kidnap for ransome of less than 10 thousand naira. The police and the army are only guarding only the rich and leaving the poor even when keke riders are been attacked in the presence of police nothing happens. Uduagha gov has made delta state a crime state

The menace of kidnapping has taken a very worrisome dimension in Delta State as it has become a daily occurence...
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Revolva(m): 8:59am On Feb 04, 2013
And this is the naija delta where they have more oil allocations..see what's a mess the leaders there have caused ..bannin okada making lives harder...and delta state is a rich state why all these

2 Likes

Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by fapcrook(m): 9:00am On Feb 04, 2013
May GOD save us
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by SELFWORTH: 9:01am On Feb 04, 2013
Things have fallen apart in Nigeria and the centre can no longer be held together.

This hopefully will wake up the government as it seems Nigeria is fast becoming the kidnapping capital of the world. They need to introduce the death penalty . The rich enlist their army and police friends for protection but we the ordinary citizens rely on God for divine protection.

Until their own relatives and friends are kidnapped they don't do anything. Now the stakes are higher and these criminals are looking for millions where better to look than the government officials.

I pray that they will never have any rest until they do the right thing by God.

2 Likes

Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by theripper2: 9:03am On Feb 04, 2013
Nsogbu di.
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Nobody: 9:06am On Feb 04, 2013
From 9pm everyday, since on d 23rd of december 2012, armed robbers block d only road leadin to warri airport in osubi,very close to PTI junction, wit army n police feelin no concern abt it. God dey!
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by dady12: 9:07am On Feb 04, 2013
uduaghan have made delta state a den of criminals, he hijack power ,made the youth jobless ,infastrutural decay,govt of abandon project,his days are nuba.the wicked cannot go unpunish
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Nobody: 9:09am On Feb 04, 2013
I guess it's time for the 'uninvited' to get out of delta a.s.a.p!
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by BlackPeni5: 9:11am On Feb 04, 2013
Ibori was a criminal...But when compared with Uduaghan, Ibori can be described as a high performer.

1 Like

Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by phaya(f): 9:13am On Feb 04, 2013
Did all these really happen between saturday n sunday?? So far I haven't seen any 'heavy military' presence. Just gainfully employ these youth n u will get the result u want
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by leslieu63(m): 9:15am On Feb 04, 2013
they even kidnapped a 72 year old professor at delsu abraka last week, and are demandind 100 million.million.
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by chocopearl(f): 9:17am On Feb 04, 2013
Dat wz one hell of a week end for deltans, i dey feel for dem o
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Okijajuju1(m): 9:27am On Feb 04, 2013
This is a shout-out to all my unrepentant Niger delta Militants out there!! Get rich or die trying!!
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by pyyxxaro: 9:42am On Feb 04, 2013
THEY NEED TO BUY SOME STUFF FOR THEIR GIRLFRIENDS , ITS VALENTINE shocked grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Nobody: 9:44am On Feb 04, 2013
A bad governor cant make a good state.

2 Likes

Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by AnitaMandy: 9:45am On Feb 04, 2013
Rest in peace 2 d dead
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by deandavid(m): 9:53am On Feb 04, 2013
What do you expect, boys are not happy, no jobs, man must hustle. I saw those guys last week around osubi/eku road with my 2 koro koro eyes with their guns on their hilux van, God save me,say na scrab i carry, d motor even breakdown for road, dem no even send me. All these politifcians neva see anything yet.
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Profidada: 10:18am On Feb 04, 2013
deandavid: What do you expect, boys are not happy, no jobs, man must hustle. I saw those guys last week around osubi/eku road with my 2 koro koro eyes with their guns on their hilux van, God save me,say na scrab i carry, d motor even breakdown for road, dem no even send me. All these politifcians neva see anything yet.
if them no send you then your condition really bad. Guy please upgrade.

1 Like

Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Tonycart: 10:22am On Feb 04, 2013
What do you expect they politicians gave this guys gun during election and since they were not compensated they have decided to create jobs for them self.
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by OurYansh: 10:22am On Feb 04, 2013
Profidada: if them no send you then your condition really bad. Guy please upgrade.

Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by nedra: 10:36am On Feb 04, 2013
Will something good ever come out of nigeria D same set of wicked people n party ruling dis country... Hardship everywhere. No regards for human life. Wot a country
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by igbsam(m): 10:39am On Feb 04, 2013
Delta state has gone to the dogs........Uduaghan is just a senseless ruler with no plans for the state. His only plan is just to loot the state dry.
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Smartjeezy(m): 10:41am On Feb 04, 2013
Badt government...
Guyz may God bless your hustle.
I love those guyz.
Get rich or dying trying
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by KINGwax(m): 10:52am On Feb 04, 2013
It's no news if boko haram strikes up north, so it's no news if deltans 'armed-robber' and kidnap themselves!!
So, the question is: shldnt news make d front page?
***long hissssssss***
***goes back to sipping pepper soup with a straw***
u shld try it too , it feels so gooooood
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 04, 2013
If na bloody civilian now, the navy commander go dey show power, but power pass power.
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Nobody: 11:49am On Feb 04, 2013
okpara ugo: A bad governor cant make a good state.
I need to forward dis to uduaghan! Fool
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Nobody: 11:50am On Feb 04, 2013
Smart jeezy: Badt government...
I love those guyz.
Get rich or dying trying
guy, if dem kidnap ur mumsi, hope say u go still love dem?

1 Like

Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by dederocs(m): 12:45pm On Feb 04, 2013
Our Yansh:

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/robbers-kidnappers-on-the-rampage-in-delta/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Uduaghan is a joker and a corrupt miscreant,he is not capable of runing a state.na to dey dance itige he sabi.mumu
Re: Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ by Mogidi: 12:50pm On Feb 04, 2013
Smart jeezy: Badt government...
I love those guyz.
Get rich or dying trying

I hope you die trying.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ugwuanyi Inaugurates 22.443Km Neke-Mbu-Ogbodu Abba-Obollo Etiti Road / Stop Slander, Blackmail Against Judiciary – Onanuga Warns PDP, Atiku / FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.