Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (31099 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by kufre2010: 4:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

I am getting your position now but you are getting it wrong by stating that using Muslim first names is losing your identity to Arabs. That would be correct if names as 'mac bin tunji' were pervasive amongst Yoruba people. Islam is a total concept and nothing identifies you as a Muslim more than your first name.

You see Muslims calling themselves Abubakar after Abu Bakr, have you seen any Muslim named Abu Jahl or Abu Lahab?

I still say you are insecure. Yes, use your traditional names but this your theory screams out that you are personally insecure about your religion.

I guess by your logic, Herbert Macaulay and Henry Carr stopped being Yoruba men because of their English names.
Na so christian mission says we wil not go to heaven unless we change our names to european and biblical names some which we don't d meaning. Islam in d other side ar changng bearing arabic or islamic names some which they don't they meaning. This is a result worshiping gods, u must bear foreign names. Africans wake up
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Hoodrat(m): 4:18pm On Feb 05, 2013
lol a brother finally wake up from his slumber. nice one

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Umamman1(m): 4:19pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad: Asalam Alaykum.

Islam is a religion not just to he Arabs but to the whole world,Simply by saying 'there is no god apart from God.

شَهِدَ اللّهُ أَنَّهُ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ وَالْمَلاَئِكَةُ وَأُوْلُواْ الْعِلْمِ قَآئِمَاً بِالْقِسْطِ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ

God bears witness that there is no other god besides Him, and so do the angels and those who possess knowledge."(Verse 3:18)

there is a trend among Muslims which i find not just disturbing but wrong.muslims are submitters to the will of Allah not to the will of Arabs.
we are loosing our identity to the Arabs.the essence of naming is for Identity.when i hear the name Chidi,i know he is Igbo by tribe.but it would be difficult to tell whether Gafar that resides in Oshodi is yoruba,igbo,hausa or Arab.
i fear we are loosing our cultural heritage to the Arabs.i beg to differ there is no such thing as Islamic name.i am not saying Arabic names are bad,but we ought not loose our identity.
i grew up with an Arabic name as my first name,whenever i say my first name,people start asking are you Hausa?it will take me me some seconds to introduce my self.i have since adopted my tribal name as my first,arabic second.
i am proud of my race,i am proud to be called Yoruba.i am not loosing it,not for anything.

Masalam
please when praying the Maghrib prayer today, be the imam and recite the holy Qura'an in yoruba so that we will know that you are really a culture man:you can go also go ahead and ask God why he revealed the Holy Quran in Arabic language.indeed there is nothing left out of Islam including how you go about relieving yourself in the toilet.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by khairate(f): 4:22pm On Feb 05, 2013
What is the arguement here? The language of the Quran is arabic. Or perhaps u could produce a yoruba version to suit your cultural beliefs. Arabic is the universal language of muslims, is a fact! If i chose to be a muslim, then am ready and willing to accept every aspect of the deen, in my everyday life, whether my culture admits it or not. Yes, call me an extremist, is my choice. If i chose to name my child khadeeja, it is not because it is an arabic name, but because d pious wife of d prophet was called by that name. I knw very soon someone wil bring up anoda story as to why we hav to go all d way to makkah to perform hajj (since is in d land of d arabs) wen we can jus build anoda 'imaginary' kaabah in yoruba land.

4 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 4:23pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

the name Barack is african,Obama is Afrcan American.
Husein aint his first name

You are kidding! Right?

Obama is Kenyan, Barack, a derivative of Mubarak,
Please, don't mislead people. His father was a muslim and that accounted for his names. Even though he is a Christian today, does his name imply that he has lost his American culture. Or does his Kenyan name grant him automatic Kenyan culture?

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 4:24pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

the name Barack is african,Obama is Afrcan American.
Husein aint his first name

barack is a muslim name [mubarak] while obama should be african.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:24pm On Feb 05, 2013
Umamman1: please when praying the Maghrib prayer today, be the imam and recite the holy Qura'an in yoruba so that we will know that you are really a culture man:you can go also go ahead and ask God why he revealed the Holy Quran in Arabic language.indeed there is nothing left out of Islam including how you go about relieving yourself in the toilet.

do you have comprehension problem? i dont have problem with arabic language. read my posts again
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@:

google the origin of barack and stop wallowing in deceit

http://hotword.dictionary.com/barack-obama-name/
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by cheikh: 4:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
la furia
dont even know how to respond to the op question because it is weird. losing identity to the arabs because am bearing ibrahim? seriously. how does bearing ibrahim change my appearance to arab. no one has ever asked me if i was arab but are you a muslim question. op displays same ignorance as the americans who belief arab means muslim.

am hausa, and the only way to prove it is to speak hausa, simple, no need for long explanation. have you ever meet a real arab man speak yoruba? so y should people doubt whether u are yoruba or not when u can speak d yoruba lang. so when u speak yoruba, they still believe u are arab because of ypur first name? wonders shall never end.

u should ask y are the yoruba losing dia cultures to islam instead. do u have a problem with arabic or arabs? which one.

@^^ Your logic may be correct but the OP is right in the sense that Islam and Christianity are inherently depriving some of our people the opportunity to appreciate their original home grown culture predating the "cultural conquest" by "foreign" faiths/names Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo or not. The Hausa obviously have lost much of their culture unlike the Fulani and Kanuri. The dominant culture/values holds sway over the conquered subjects everywhere hence English/European names and Islamic inspired names predominate in our domain. In order to understand the full import of the OP's viewpoint - visit Sudan and notice how they(Islamist) tried to impose such names on their none muslim citizens hence the added grouse against the Khartoum regime by numerous secessionist groups. The South Sudan have gone already July 09/12, Dafur and the Nubians are not exactly happy in Egypt and Sudan either wink grin.. Nigerians despite our gra gra and noisy characteristics are inherently Docile and compliant to anything foreign.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

You are kidding! Right?

Obama is Kenyan, Barack, a derivative of Mubarak,
Please, don't mislead people. His father was a muslim and that accounted for his names. Even though he is a Christian today, does his name imply that he has lost his American culture. Or does his Kenyan name grant him automatic Kenyan culture?

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 4:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

its African, so what? Husein isn't his first name

Dear child, I know you are confused but let me educate you. Barack is actually a shortened form of "Mubarak" which is very Arabic- It is not "African" at all in its roots. Can you say Olawale as Arab or Hebrew roots? Of course not!

Don't take my word for it, let us read together:

What do the words “Barack” and “Obama” literally mean?

We recently asked readers to suggest a name for us to research and write about. The name that received the most requests happens to belong to Barack Obama.

The 44th President of the United States is named after his father, who was a Kenyan economist. Barack is an African name meaning “blessed.” It is a form of both the Hebrew name Baruch and the Arabic name Mubarak, which also mean “blessed” and relate to the Arabic barakah. Another common spelling of the name is Barak.

There is no connection between Barack and “barrack,” which has both a different spelling and pronunciation. A barrack is a building or group of buildings that lodge soldiers. It comes from the French barraque and the Spanish barraca, which means “cabin or hut.”

Obama is an ancient Kenyan surname. The name is found frequently among the Luo, the third largest ethnic group in Kenya. It is believed that the name derived from the root word obam, which means “to lean or bend.”

Obama’s middle name Hussein is the first name of his paternal grandfather. The name, which is of Arabic origin, means “good” or “handsome one.”
Read more at http://hotword.dictionary.com/barack-obama-name/#ZiizpowyWsG77pR3.99

Note that the language, "Swahili" which is prevalent in East Africa is heavily influenced by Arabic.

So my dear, Barak is not African at all by your presentation on this thread, it is adopted from Arabic.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by timpaker(m): 4:28pm On Feb 05, 2013
I just love the way the OP argues....

His points are clear-cuts and concise.

Thumbs up JUSTAQAD!

Besides, I'm tired of always searching for my Muslim friends on facebook and getting about 5, 000 Abubakar Musas. It pains me that I've to sort the 5,000 Abubakar Musas by picture.

4 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by 9icetoo(m): 4:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

you are wrong.my actions and deeds should identify me as a muslim rather than my name.using arabic name as first name is loosing my identity.arabic name has no significance in me being a better muslim.

what makes you think i am insecure about my religion?i am not a default kinda muslim.the Quran clearly defines who a muslim is,a muslim is not one who bears arabic names.

at first they have lost their identity.ask any one that have not read or know them.first they will assume they are not africans.they have lost their identity.officially they stopped being yoruba.

until a minute ago, i actually tot herbert macaulay was english. lol. i use my native name anytime anywhere even when outside this freaking country. grin

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 4:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

Hahahahahaaaa... see confusion, you are claiming a name with Arabic roots to be African- so much for your Yorubacentrism/Afrocentrism. cheesy
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 4:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
tintingz:

Op go and ask bankole willington a.k.a banky w why him papa still dey bear wilington Or ask bukky wright

they both seem to be mixed though.

You may be right but there are no conclusive evidence that they are Yoruba/Nigerian either. They were returnee ex slaves via Sierra- Leone to NIgeria as missionaries. Most returnee ex slave immigrants tried a little too hard to ingratiate themselves with the "Locals" by making spurious claims about their identities/origins

most of them knew their origins [eg herbert macauley], but they could not settle there because the home environments were not conducive to their return. So they settled majorly in lagos.

as per the english names, some of them were mixed while others just preferred a break from the old ones, which were affiliated with various deities.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by hadbak: 4:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
donwilz: I am no muslim, but what you are saying in essence is the allah will not understand you when you speak in other languages, apart from arabic?. This is the height of ignorance and complex issues. The Op is spot on IMHO. This also applies to Christians! I don't get the logic in bearing alien names. I was laughed at in my high school days because i have no English name.. What happened to our pride ? God created all mankind equally. That is the beauty of diversity. Don't you ask yourselves , why God/Allah didn't make us all a single race? This is the beauty of his creation.. DIVERSITY.. Never forget your roots!
I understand ur pains, no one says u shld bear an alien name/forget ur root, never. U r n wil alway be an igbo, yor or hausa whether u speak it or not. Wht am saying is, the lang of d sciptures is important as ours too is important. its God that created all d langes yet he choose a language for His scripture. He does things acording to His wishes. The language of d quran is Arabic n I love Arabic with all my heart..when I die n resurect, I want to speak arabic, y'all heard!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
obo_man: Haven't you lost your identity in the first place by practising a religion that isn't yours, and originated from the Arabs?

Let's all return to the religion of our ancestors and modernise it.......

Our ancestors and the ancestors of the Arabs that wrote the Koran are both humans..........

This is another issue that somebody as the Op who is trying to be pragmatic shamelessly Ignored!!!..........

It would have been another Issue if a priest in Sango temple created this Thread!!!

Hypocrites..........U ve given-up ur total self and submit to Allah(swt) the very day u embraced Islam .......If u think u shd not lose ur IDENTITY.......Go back to the ways of Ur forefathers;Esu,sango,Oya,Obatala!!!

4 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:31pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

Dear child, I know you are confused but let me educate you. Barack is actually a shortened form of "Mubarak" which is very Arabic- It is not "African" at all in its roots. Can you say Olawale as Arab or Hebrew roots? Of course not!

Don't take my word for it, let us read together:

What do the words “Barack” and “Obama” literally mean?

We recently asked readers to suggest a name for us to research and write about. The name that received the most requests happens to belong to Barack Obama.

The 44th President of the United States is named after his father, who was a Kenyan economist. Barack is an African name meaning “blessed.” It is a form of both the Hebrew name Baruch and the Arabic name Mubarak, which also mean “blessed” and relate to the Arabic barakah. Another common spelling of the name is Barak.

There is no connection between Barack and “barrack,” which has both a different spelling and pronunciation. A barrack is a building or group of buildings that lodge soldiers. It comes from the French barraque and the Spanish barraca, which means “cabin or hut.”

Obama is an ancient Kenyan surname. The name is found frequently among the Luo, the third largest ethnic group in Kenya. It is believed that the name derived from the root word obam, which means “to lean or bend.”

Obama’s middle name Hussein is the first name of his paternal grandfather. The name, which is of Arabic origin, means “good” or “handsome one.”
Read more at http://hotword.dictionary.com/barack-obama-name/#ZiizpowyWsG77pR3.99

Note that the language, "Swahili" which prevalent in East Africa is heavily influenced by Arabic.

So my dear, Barak is not African at all by your presentation on this thread, it is adopted from Arabic.

you have a problem
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by dnative(m): 4:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@:

go back and do more research and come and back and tell us how barack means mubarak.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 4:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

you have a problem

Even Christians know that Barack comes from Mubarak. Just like Bakare comes from Abu Bakr and is another form of Abubakar.

Really, you need to stop being insecure if you want to be a Muslim and be bold.

Are you in or out?
Double-crosser or devout?

-Apologies to Disney. cheesy
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Anvaller: 4:35pm On Feb 05, 2013
Umamman1: please when praying the Maghrib prayer today, be the imam and recite the holy Qura'an in yoruba so that we will know that you are really a culture man:you can go also go ahead and ask God why he revealed the Holy Quran in Arabic language.indeed there is nothing left out of Islam including how you go about relieving yourself in the toilet.

Well.. I think u only need to approach this intellectually and not trying to insult him.. these are some of the potentially violent traits that the arabians have sold to us as a an attribute of Islam and we have unconsciously imbibed it. God revealed the holy Quran in arabic language because he brought a prophet up amongst them.. God would not have revealed the Quran in Latin if the prophet it was meant for was Arabian. At least the Torah and the Injeel were not revealed in Arabic were they? Or do u want to tell me that those 2 were not a revelation from God because it was not revealed in Arabic? We need to be more intelligent at the way look at these things and less dogmatic. If the Quran was only meant to be solely in Arabic, why are there several translations of it to other languages today? My fundamental knowledge of Islam is not because I know arabic but because I read translated text. I might have never been a muslim today if there are no translated copies of Quran for me to read. So what are u saying? The only thing that will compel ppl to continue to pray in arabic is because it has been structured that way in muslim community and not because it's a principal obligation from the perspective of Islam in the real sense.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:36pm On Feb 05, 2013

The 44th President of the United States is named after his father, who was a Kenyan economist. Barack is an African name meaning “blessed.It is a form of both the Hebrew name Baruch and the Arabic name Mubarak, which also mean “blessed” and relate to the Arabic barakah. Another common spelling of the name is Barak.

Read more at http://hotword.dictionary.com/barack-obama-name/#AfjJUWCMl3PDPYEi.99

open your heart and eyes.i understand you are feeling too mighty to admit you are wrong. even SENATORS Apologise
grin grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:38pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

Even Christians know that Barack comes from Mubarak. Just like Bakare comes from Abu Bakr and his another form of Abubakar.

Really, you need to stop being insecure if you want to be a Muslim and be bold.

Are you in or out?
Double-crosser or devout?

-Apologies to Disney. cheesy

you have just diagnosed yourself. better reclaim whatever amount that was frivolously spent on your education. you are surely messed up
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:40pm On Feb 05, 2013
Anvaller:

Well.. I think u only need to approach this intellectually and not trying to insult him.. these are some of the potentially violent traits that the arabians have sold to us as a an attribute of Islam and we have unconsciously imbibed it. God revealed the holy Quran in arabic language because he brought a prophet up amongst them.. God would not have revealed the Quran in Latin if the prophet it was meant for was Arabian. At least the Torah and the Injeel were not revealed in Arabic were they? Or do u want to tell me that those 2 were not a revelation from God because it was not revealed in Arabic? We need to be more intelligent at the way look at these things and less dogmatic. If the Quran was only meant to be solely in Arabic, why are there several translations of it to other languages today? My fundamental knowledge of Islam is not because I know arabic but because I read translated text. I might have never been a muslim today if there are no translated copies of Quran for me to read. So what are u saying? The only thing that will compel ppl to continue to pray in arabic is because it has been structured that way in muslim community and not because it's a principal obligation from the perspective of Islam in the real sense.

i really dont blame them. most muslims really need to stop being sheepish.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
Most names that religion people bear really have to do with what religion they practice......!!!

Till today we have..Ifalokun,Ifabiyi,Osunfunke,Osuntoke,Oguniyi.......Ogunshola.....Ogunseyi......Ogunlola..... and many others.......!!!!

All these seek to differenciate Osun worshippers from Ogun worshippers.........Sango worshippers from Ifa worshippers thus Esu worshippers.........this is Homogeneous Society ooo......Yorubaland!!

Christians also have baptism name e.g Timothy,Isreal,Moses,Jacob,Micheal,Esther,abigeal.....does it mean these peeps are now jew!!

With all the above,How has Islamic/Arabic name being subjective unless u re giving it a subjective definition!!!!

Religion peeps associate with there Religion names!!! Islam is not different......therefore this TOPIC is Trashed!!!

Case Closed!!!!!

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 4:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad: We recently asked readers to suggest a name for us to research and write about. The name that received the most requests happens to belong to Barack Obama.

The 44th President of the United States is named after his father, who was a Kenyan economist. Barack is an African name meaning “blessed.It is a form of both the Hebrew name Baruch and the Arabic name Mubarak, which also mean “blessed” and relate to the Arabic barakah. Another common spelling of the name is Barak.

Read more at http://hotword.dictionary.com/barack-obama-name/#AfjJUWCMl3PDPYEi.99

By your own presentation, Barack cannot be accepted as an African name. You have let the world know that you want absolutely nothing to do with Arabic when it comes to first names, and Barack just has Arabic written all over it.

#Hahahahaahahahaaaa.... #Laughwithme cheesy tongue cheesy tongue
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 4:47pm On Feb 05, 2013
Naming Forst have anything to do with Arabs nobody names their children Arabic names but Islamic names which the prophet endorsed that we should choose from the fine names of Allah if u don't wish to be called Islamic names suit urself but bear a good name because I shall be raised with the names u bear on the day of judgement
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:49pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

By your own presentation, Barack cannot be accepted as an African name. You have let the world know that you want absolutely nothing to do with Arabic when it comes to first names, and Barack just has Arabic written all over it.

#Hahahahaahahahaaaa.... #Laughwithme cheesy tongue cheesy tongue

cant believe i am reading this from Senator Mac

Barack is an African name meaning “blessed.” It is a form of both the Hebrew name Baruch and the Arabic name Mubarak, which also mean “blessed” and relate to the Arabic barakah. Another common spelling of the name is Barak.

Ogechi is an Igbo name meaning God'stime, it is a form of English name.does that make ogechi English?

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
lekibraky: Naming Forst have anything to do with Arabs nobody names their children Arabic names but Islamic names which the prophet endorsed that we should choose from the fine names of Allah if u don't wish to be called Islamic names suit urself but bear a good name because I shall be raised with the names u bear on the day of judgement

ALLAH never endorsed such.stop abrogating.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 4:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
dnative:

go back and do more research and come and back and tell us how barack means mubarak.

surely i dont need to spell it out to you?

barack has its origins in the semitic form baruch or mubarak.

you can say its an africanized version but you need to pull up more evidence if you say it has an african root.

in yoruba, its alubarika, but everyone knows it still has an arab root?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by cheikh: 4:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@
most of them knew their origins [eg herbert macauley], but they could not settle there because the home environments were not conducive to their return. So they settled majorly in lagos.

@^^ You have given a plausible reply but not exactly convincing as per his origin/his "home environments were not conducive to their return"- perhaps he should leave being a missionary sent from Sieraa Leone and become a posh Hotelier ha ha grin. Most of them could not settle in the hinterland because they are not sure of their origins hence they remained where ever they were dumped/settled along the West African coastline to South Africa wink.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 4:53pm On Feb 05, 2013
lekibraky: Naming Forst have anything to do with Arabs nobody names their children Arabic names but Islamic names which the prophet endorsed that we should choose from the fine names of Allah if u don't wish to be called Islamic names suit urself but bear a good name because I shall be raised with the names u bear on the day of judgement

And stop trying to prove that you have superior reasoning to we Muslims that love our Arabic names, this thread just proves that you are confused. In one instance, you are saying "no Arabic for first names", in another, you are trying to prove that "Barack" which is related to not only "Mubarak" as "Muhammad" is to "Ahmad" but effectively a modified "Arabic" name is actually African.

OP, keep your insecurities to yourself. You can only impress many non-Muslims with all of this and every sincere Muslim knows that Islam is not about that at all.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More / How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.