Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,758 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:07 AM

The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon (18271 Views)

Download Whatsapp+ An Interesting And Better Version Of Whatsapp / Infinix Vs. Tecno - The Nigerian Smartphone War / Phones, Tablets And Phablets – Phunny Phenomenon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by passion007: 9:27am On Feb 04, 2013
I ran into an old friend...

'Izu, what's your PIN?'

'Oh, you're a BB user-- I don't have one.'

'Are you for real? idikwa backward!'

This happened about 3 years ago, and despite that I was using a mobile which cost three times my friend's Blackberry, he did insult me blithely 'You are quite backward!'

It hit me frontally: I had been caught up in the Android-iOS-?Symbian war that I had failed to notice the recent and rapid bourgeoning of RIM's Blackberry all around me; now I had to hear from an old friend that not having a Blackberry meant being backward. This puzzled me intensely, and so whetted my research. I became more attentive in the bus, in the park, in the bank.

Three Beautiful Girls with Blackberrys

I was getting back from the University one evening in a taxi with three young girls. Midway through, there is a beep and they all reach for their mobiles. One announces 'Kee BB'm? Ejirom BB'm! Echefum BB'm! Driver kwusi m, echefum BB'm'(Where's my BB? I don't have my BB! I forgot my BB! Driver stop me here, I forgot my BB!) I thought to myself, 'don't you just love to say BB?' The taxi pulled up, she whispered something to her friends and hurriedly got down. I thought to myself, my reserach in view 'I see...'

Blackberry has stolen the Nigerian phones market without much pomp or ceremony. I watched as the girls clutched their Blackberry which beeped every so often, and they had to type up a message--they seemed to be really having fun...

...I met a new friend on Yahoo! Chat

Blackberry is not just a mobile phone to the Nigerian. Yes, there's the sensationalism that comes with pinging--the only utility in so far as I can objectively assess-- but there is more. The Blackberry user expects that you be filled with respect, awe, even adulation when they announce they have a Blackberry--whether it has BIS or not seems irrelevant in the Nigerian situation. Even the monochrome screen versions are Blackberrys nonetheless and require no less respect. By now, my reasearch had taken a decidely other turn, the original research seemed humdrum and pointless now. The real reasearch was: 'Are Nigerians vain people?' The average Nigerian maintains we are not, but the facts remain that we are. We love attention, we love 'useless' little phones that cost big money, we love to 'spend money we don't have to annoy people we don't like'. While I'm typing this article, I'm on Yahoo! Chat. There's a beep:

'36qrt56p. What's yours?'

'Oh BB...I don't have one'

'emoticon: 'shocked' Izu you really need to get a life!'

Read more: http://sirwilly.hubpages.com

20 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by caukerzee(m): 7:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
Mine was i class one day when one girl proudly and confidently said that the diffrence between a poor and rich person is owning black berry. Saying only rich people could afford BBs. Its funny how Nigerians still think black berry as the 'ultimate phone'. Its quite unfortunate to see how that overrated piece of brick has brain-washed and brain-sapped nigerians, especially the females.

8 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Francheezy(m): 8:16pm On Feb 04, 2013
blackbeRRy...i 8 stuffs dat r c0mm0n nd everyb0dy uses....alm0st eRR1 naw haz a bb jst 4 sh0w...am sure if u axe 0ne 0f d!z bb babes her 0S, she g0 jst la enu le (0pen maut wide)

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by caukerzee(m): 10:29pm On Feb 04, 2013
Francheezy: blackbeRRy...i 8 stuffs dat r c0mm0n nd everyb0dy uses....alm0st eRR1 naw haz a bb jst 4 sh0w...am sure if u axe 0ne 0f d!z bb babes her 0S, she g0 jst la enu le (0pen maut wide)
LOL do they even know the full meaning of OS sef?
Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Francheezy(m): 10:35pm On Feb 04, 2013
caukerzee: LOL do they even know the full meaning of OS sef?
ma guy....s0me sEf n0 fit n0 d ful mean!ng 0f b!s
Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Jonwesley(m): 10:21am On Feb 14, 2013
passion007: I ran into an old friend...

'Izu, what's your PIN?'

This happened about 3 years ago, and despite that I was using a mobile which cost three times my friend's Blackberry, he did insult me blithely 'You are quite backward!'

It hit me frontally: I had been caught up in the Android-iOS-?Symbian war that I had failed to notice the recent and rapid bourgeoning of RIM's Blackberry all around me; now I had to hear from an old friend that not having a Blackberry meant being backward. This puzzled me intensely, and so whetted my research. I became more attentive in the bus, in the park, in the bank.

I was getting back from the University one evening in a taxi with three young girls. Midway through, there is a beep and they all reach for their mobiles. One announces 'Kee BB'm? Ejirom BB'm! Echefum BB'm! Driver kwusi m, echefum BB'm'(Where's my BB? I don't have my BB! I forgot my BB! Driver stop me here, I forgot my BB!) I thought to myself, 'don't you just love to say BB?' The taxi pulled up, she whispered something to her friends and hurriedly got down. I thought to myself, my reserach in view 'I see...'

Blackberry has stolen the Nigerian phones market without much pomp or ceremony. I watched as the girls clutched their Blackberry which beeped every so often, and they had to type up a message--they seemed to be really having fun...

Blackberry is not just a mobile phone to the Nigerian. Yes, there's the sensationalism that comes with pinging--the only utility in so far as I can objectively assess-- but there is more. The Blackberry user expects that you be filled with respect, awe, even adulation when they announce they have a Blackberry--whether it has BIS or not seems irrelevant in the Nigerian situation. Even the monochrome screen versions are Blackberrys nonetheless and require no less respect. By now, my reasearch had taken a decidely other turn, the original research seemed humdrum and pointless now. The real reasearch was: 'Are Nigerians vain people?' The average Nigerian maintains we are not, but the facts remain that we are. We love attention, we love 'useless' little phones that cost big money, we love to 'spend money we don't have to annoy people we don't like'. While I'm typing this article, I'm on Yahoo! Chat. There's a beep:

Read more: http://sirwilly.hubpages.com

I like reading ur piece as it speaks my mind about Blackberry phones. Your diction was on point and I like the choice of words. Great write up.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by ibietela2(m): 8:42pm On Feb 14, 2013
No be small my brother
Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by passion007: 8:55am On Feb 15, 2013
@ moderators:
Shouldn't this be considered for front page? I've seen scores and scores of Tonto Dike's repulsive photos make front page without any effort...

...waiting to see if the Tonto blackmail still works... grin

4 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Francheezy(m): 4:05pm On Feb 15, 2013
heheheh0
Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Hotdiamond(m): 4:13pm On Feb 15, 2013
this write up too make brain MODS front page pls. Na beg i dey beg Una o
Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Orpelin: 9:43pm On Feb 15, 2013
Hotdiamond: this write up too make brain MODS front page pls. Na beg i dey beg Una o
Mod don hear ur begging,kk.
Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by lawman2013: 9:50pm On Feb 15, 2013
I ran into an old friend...

'Izu, what's your PIN?'

KEEP IT UP

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Abagworo(m): 9:51pm On Feb 15, 2013
The major reason women crave BB's is for love peddling. Men like me use it for downloading large files of 3gig to 10Gig without paying through the nose and also to get some fast runs too. Most Nigerian girls that feel classy have ipad, galaxy tab, Nokia and BB but the BB and ipad are the active ones.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by ozor1: 9:51pm On Feb 15, 2013
Its obvious naija girls re fools... I wonder how d hardware version of yim called bb cN ever get their whole attention... Its a pity they re illiterates
Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by kokoye(m): 9:51pm On Feb 15, 2013
Francheezy: blackbeRRy...i 8 stuffs dat r c0mm0n nd everyb0dy uses....alm0st eRR1 naw haz a bb jst 4 sh0w...am sure if u axe 0ne 0f d!z bb babes her 0S, she g0 jst la enu le (0pen maut wide)

what language is this??

Dang..I'm old!

13 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 15, 2013
I formerly used a bold 9930 (bold 5) as at last 2 months but now am using a galaxy s3. Most bb phones have no diff. They operate the same way in os and no much diff. I have used bold 2, and 5 and there's nautin special bout bb.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by SamMilla1(m): 9:52pm On Feb 15, 2013
What else do you expect from a society that believes Jesus Walked on water, Jonah spent days in the belly of fish and Moses divided a sea with a stick...

Ofcourse no Blackberry No Swag

9 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by gunpoint(m): 9:52pm On Feb 15, 2013
undecided*reading this on my blackberry and refusing to comment*

18 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by ozor1: 9:54pm On Feb 15, 2013
Like its fondly called by bb haters..... CRAPBERRY

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by gunpoint(m): 9:55pm On Feb 15, 2013
Sam Milla: What else do you expect from a society that believes Jesus Walked on water, Jonah spent days in the belly of fish and Moses divided a sea with a stick... Ofcourae no Blackberry No Swag
Dude, stop been silly. What's the logic in your silly arguement now?

37 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by ebamma(m): 9:58pm On Feb 15, 2013
Sam Milla: What else do you expect from a society that believes Jesus Walked on water, Jonah spent days in the belly of fish and Moses divided a sea with a stick... Ofcourae no Blackberry No Swag
u be fool for comparing Jesus with blackberry

38 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Gabrielsylar(m): 9:59pm On Feb 15, 2013
So what's d issue now sef

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Gabrielsylar(m): 10:00pm On Feb 15, 2013
ebamma: u be fool for comparing Jesus with blackberry
he said jesus not jesus christ......there are many jesus on earth na
Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by ebamma(m): 10:01pm On Feb 15, 2013
gunpoint: undecided*reading this on my blackberry and refusing to comment*
and what u just did is called
a)animating
b)computing
c) smoking
d)all of the above
Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by clerkent(m): 10:01pm On Feb 15, 2013
Ola: "Hey Sandra, I jst got my
blackberry torch! I'l buy d pin
nextweek'
Sandra: "Hmmm? U try ooo! Me
don dash Ekaete my own ooo"
Joy: "Ah! Y nah?"
Sandra: "Bcoz blackberry don tire
me, na BB I dey use!"
Joy: "wow! U r rich oo! I envy u...
Is ur BB samsung or Nokia?"
Sandra: "Noooo! How can I use
dose ceap BBs? It's microsoft
nah"
Joy: "wow! Dat1 mst be expensive
ooo! Shey blackberry dey ping
BB? Jst give me ur pin so I can
call
u wen I buy my own pin"
Sandra: "Eyaaaa... I'm sorry, I left
my pin @home! U knw its nt safe
walking around wit ur pin, e fit
chook u!"

41 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 15, 2013
Oruns007: I formerly used a bold 9930 (bold 5) as at last 2 months but now am using a galaxy s3. Most bb phones have no diff. They operate the same way in os and no much diff. I have used bold 2, and 5 and there's nautin special bout bb.

Story, story.......STORYYYYYYY!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Ganys: 10:05pm On Feb 15, 2013
Love it or Hate it, BB is very good for Businessmen because it enhances free flow of information cheaply. But trust nigerian, they are very good in abusing any Good thing. I love BB cos it put Garri and Sugar on my table....
BB is not meant for everybody, its a business Phone and a Potencial ATM Machine for those who know how It works cool

9 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by joseph1832(m): 10:06pm On Feb 15, 2013
gunpoint: undecided*reading this on my blackberry and refusing to comment*
Also reading this on my blackberry and I will comment!

Blackberry is past tense, can't wait to get me an android, no offense but i-phones are also useless owing to the fact that Apple are greedy sons of bitches!

5 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by koksybrown: 10:08pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dumped my iphone 4 cause it cudnt perform wat my curve 2 did... Lets take the crazy Naija mentality off and the pinging things. I enjoy a blackberry phone better than any other smartphone in the world.

9 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Nobody: 10:08pm On Feb 15, 2013
joseph1832:
Also reading this on my blackberry and I will comment!

Blackberry is past tense, can't wait to get me an android, no offense but i-phones are also useless owing to the fact that Apple are greedy sons of bitches!

Android is the worst of all....go and try it, and in 2 weeks, you will throw it out of a moving van...I have unlimited downloads on my BBM, and that's what separates it from other smartphones

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon by Nobody: 10:13pm On Feb 15, 2013
Rsvp

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When Last Did You Buy A Recharge Card To Load Airtime On Your Phone? / How Xiaomi Miraculously Lied To Their Vendors And Customers ..... / Whatsapp XAP Download | Download The New Whatsapp XAP File.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.