Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,189 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. (14596 Views)

What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Finally Got A Job After So Long, But My In-Laws Won't Let Me Have It! / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Maleyo: 3:33pm On Feb 05, 2013
Don't try it, anytime my mother in-law traveled, My husband enjoy every bit of d meal to the fullest, wen his mum his around, she will complain n my husband will not eat that day, that since I don't cook the way his mother want, she brought her house girl 4rm her village, if I enter kitchen d house girl will come and check wat am doing an go an tell her, if I wasn't der d house girl will uncover d food on d fire n go n tell her wat am cooking. When I can't take it again I said it to her face that if her house girl open my soup again I will break her head, she don't believe my voice dat day, d following day I told my husband I can't b ur wife under ur mother behavior, thank God he understand, his looking for a house now.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by debbydominic(f): 3:57pm On Feb 05, 2013
kcjazz: What context? If you live in a mansion, it might not be too bad but one room, two rooms etc.
Context 2 How is your relationship with your inlaws? Good, Bad, Fair, Enemies
Context 3 Reason? Are they sick? Some old folks come to Lagos for treatment at special hospitals?

PROS

If your inlaws are not lazy, they help with kids, you can go on dates without kids.
If you are super olodo tongue they can help with kids homework
If you can't cook, good food for everyone and time to learn if the inlaws are good sha
Building a legacy and a relationship with family it could come in handy in future

CONS
Added cost of living
Depending on the relationship it could be a nightmare
You cant argue with your husband/wife unrestrained. That could be a good or a very bad thing
No privacy. Our society loves secrets due to evil folks, instance if you are building a house in Lagos or planning investment. Your info is out there.
No privacy. Woman can't dress seductively at home
No privacy. Can't walk around naked anymore if you are into that (assuming you have no kids)
Child Sexual predators can be a grandpa, uncle, cousin etc, extra security needed angry

Very on point
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by AZeD1(m): 4:01pm On Feb 05, 2013
Beaf!:

God bless you with the line 3.
Trust me ALL these MIL haters are very oblivious of that FACT. Their potential DILs will definitely hold the same view about them.

On point. A person who man who kills with a cutlass will not allow a person with a cutlass stand beside him. A person who thinks in-laws are bad is definitely going to be a bad in-law.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by debbydominic(f): 4:02pm On Feb 05, 2013
kcjazz: What context? If you live in a mansion, it might not be too bad but one room, two rooms etc.
Context 3 Reason? Are they sick? Some old folks come to Lagos for treatment at special hospitals?

PROS

If your inlaws are not lazy, they help with kids, you can go on dates without kids.
If you can't cook, good food for everyone and time to learn if the inlaws are good sha
Building a legacy and a relationship with family it could come in handy in future

CONS
Added cost of living
You cant argue with your husband/wife unrestrained. That could be a good or a very bad thing
No privacy. Our society loves secrets due to evil folks, instance if you are building a house in Lagos or planning investment. Your info is out there.
No privacy. Can't walk around naked anymore if you are into that (assuming you have no kids)
Child Sexual predators can be a grandpa, uncle, cousin etc, extra security needed angry

Very on point
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by debbydominic(f): 4:28pm On Feb 05, 2013

PROS

CONS
Added cost of living

Very on point
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by aijaydiva(f): 5:35pm On Feb 05, 2013
rokiatu:

It ain't the matter of not been able to have your own place.

What if your Husband is out of town for a while and you are pregnant, and this is your first pregnancy and he don't want you to live alone while hes gone he suggest you live with his mom till he return what will you do?
my therez no how u wont have ur own relations. Therez no help ur mother inlaw can give dats upto wat ur mother or sister can give. We have to always know that scarcity causes value.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Wislet(f): 7:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
Vikin:
Go stay with your inlaws. At least someone will be nearby during emergency.

Cook for you.
Sometimes do your laundry kiss
Always checking on you because you are carrying their grand child.
Teach you the culture or language
Teach you some cuisine your husband loves while he was growing up kiss
Give you his child hood experience....

For cons,

You might not be able to eat the food you want at a particular time.
Minimum space.

That's all I can think of now.

Above all, respect your self and always remember you are the guest.
WHO is the guest??
"And a man shall leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."
That means a man will cut the umbilical cord, be independent, a full grown man old enough to have a family of his own- and he shall build a new life and home with HIS WIFE.
The woman he marries is his partner in his new world. She is a joint custodian. The two owners (bosses) of that establishment are the man and his wife ALONE. No father, no mother, no siblings can ever claim to have a right/stake in their affairs. You only do IF you're invited. It's HER HUSBAND's home, not your father's.
So, Mr Man, to correct what you wrote up there, the GUEST(s) in this case is(are) any other individual(s) aside from the man or his wife.
Vous vous comprenez?
A wife is a boss in her husband's house- don't get it twisted. She can admit you/show you the exit. So never call her a 'guest' in her home, else you might find out it's a mistake too late- when you've been kicked to the curb.

1 Like

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
Wislet: WHO is the guest??
"And a man shall leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."
That means a man will cut the umbilical cord, be independent, a full grown man old enough to have a family of his own- and he shall build a new life and home with HIS WIFE.
The woman he marries is his partner in his new world. She is a joint custodian. The two owners (bosses) of that establishment are the man and his wife ALONE. No father, no mother, no siblings can ever claim to have a right/stake in their affairs. You only do IF you're invited. It's HER HUSBAND's home, not your father's.
So, Mr Man, to correct what you wrote up there, the GUEST(s) in this case is(are) any other individual(s) aside from the man or his wife.
Vous vous comprenez?
A wife is a boss in her husband's house- don't get it twisted. She can admit you/show you the exit. So never call her a 'guest' in her home, else you might find out it's a mistake too late- when you've been kicked to the curb.

I don't know if you read my post very well.

1.The man is traveling and requested her to be with the MIL in his mothers house and not in his own house.
2. You really should learn how to address someone.
3. You advise her to stay alone on her first pregnancy just because she and the man is one, even when the husband is traveling? undecided

Je comprend très bien mais avant de parler. Il faut que tu comprend très bien les discussion.

Now go back, re read the post and write something reasonable.

1 Like

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by amacastel: 8:14pm On Feb 05, 2013
pharuk: All CONS, no PROS

Stay away from my house and come only when you are invited.
Thats the only guarantee we will see our grandkids
. U ar vry hrtless and wicked may u neva be a Mil or Fil since wot u want is 2 take their child away n dy wil nw be a stranger 2 their own property cos of a u .I pity d man dt marries u or d woman u marry cos she/he has big. people can be so wicked (pls if u love ur husband n u can tolerate him y can u tolerate his people even mother n child ,siblings quarrel so I don't see y u can't tolerate ur husband's sibling)ur inlaws devil abi n ur people angel shey may God change our dirty mind 2 gud
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by fm7070: 8:39pm On Feb 05, 2013
OP.
Don't even dare it, don't even try living with your own parent after getting married.
You won't like yourself at the end of the day.
living in a room with your family is better than living in a duplex with family members.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by rico73(m): 8:50pm On Feb 05, 2013
rokiatu:

It ain't the matter of not been able to have your own place.

What if your Husband is out of town for a while and you are pregnant, and this is your first pregnancy and he don't want you to live alone while hes gone he suggest you live with his mom till he return what will you do?
this is a case of just a few days so one can pretend. Stay constantly and experience war!
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by dickhardener: 9:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
fm7070: OP.
Don't even dare it, don't even try living with your own parent after getting married.
You won't like yourself at the end of the day.
living in a room with your family is better than living in a duplex with family members.
all these because of a woman. Na wa o.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by SmashingM(f): 10:23pm On Feb 05, 2013
Reading thro this post, I don't know what decision τ̅☺ make. I'm gettng married soon n right now my intEnded is staying in a flat of his own while his parents/siblings r stayng in their flat (bt same cmpound). My intEnded wants us τ̅☺ gEt married n stay in hs family cmpound n usE d money he wld v used τ̅☺ pay rEnt n build hs own housE.

I sEriously want us τ̅☺ have our own house but would I b able τ̅☺ bear whatevEr is thrown at mE quietly?
His parEnts n siblings r ds conventional typ - no trousers, no long or outstandng weavon, anklE lEngth skirt etc. My intended knows hw I drEss (dcEntly bt sexy) n doEsn't mind bt hw long can he hold out wt hs family watchng?

I just hope I know what I'm walking into
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by LordReed(m): 6:18am On Feb 06, 2013
SmashingM: Reading thro this post, I don't know what decision τ̅☺ make. I'm gettng married soon n right now my intEnded is staying in a flat of his own while his parents/siblings r stayng in their flat (bt same cmpound). My intEnded wants us τ̅☺ gEt married n stay in hs family cmpound n usE d money he wld v used τ̅☺ pay rEnt n build hs own housE.

I sEriously want us τ̅☺ have our own house but would I b able τ̅☺ bear whatevEr is thrown at mE quietly?
His parEnts n siblings r ds conventional typ - no trousers, no long or outstandng weavon, anklE lEngth skirt etc. My intended knows hw I drEss (dcEntly bt sexy) n doEsn't mind bt hw long can he hold out wt hs family watchng?

I just hope I know what I'm walking into

As long as they are not the poke nose type you have little to fear. Living in the same compound is not the same as living in the same house. Maintaining your decency and make sure any quarrels you have with your husband do not leave your flat.

Your intended's plan of building his own house is very commendable so give him all the support he needs so you can achieve that goal faster; two heads are better. . .
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by dasparrow: 9:59am On Feb 06, 2013
@Post

If it is for a few days, then okay. If it is for months on end, I say good luck. Nigerian in-laws are no joke. Many of them have a tendency to treat their daughter-in-laws like crap.

amacastel: . U ar vry hrtless and wicked may u neva be a Mil or Fil since wot u want is 2 take their child away n dy wil nw be a stranger 2 their own property cos of a u .I pity d man dt marries u or d woman u marry cos she/he has big. people can be so wicked (pls if u love ur husband n u can tolerate him y can u tolerate his people even mother n child ,siblings quarrel so I don't see y u can't tolerate ur husband's sibling)ur inlaws devil abi n ur people angel shey may God change our dirty mind 2 gud

Stop all this unnecessary preaching and learn to write proper English first. Do you know what the person might have gone through in the hands of their in-laws to make him or her reach this harsh conclusion? Many Nigerian families are hell and Nigerians generally do not know how to mind their darn business and love acting like they know it all. Why do you think our people are generally disliked in every country they step foot in?

Personally, I am not a huge fan of all this in-law brouhaha. There are people in my own biological family that I can barely tolerate. What makes you think I want to tolerate heifers from another person's family all because I got married?
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Petraman(m): 12:54pm On Feb 06, 2013
There is no Pros and Cons. The only thing is that staying with your in-laws is very dangerous. It's not the best for you. Even drinking GARRI and KULIKULI or EPA with PEACE OF MIND is far better than staying with your in-laws and eating TURKEY LEGS everyday and be facing troubles day in day out from your in-laws
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by blank(f): 2:06pm On Feb 06, 2013
No matter how nice and loving your in laws are, there will be conflicts.

It mught be that they feel they know what is best for you and how they expect a pregnant woman to act, feel and eat. It is left for you to manage such and remember the love your husband has for his family. Try and give in to their demands, avoid insisting on your own stuff and always remember to defer to them. When you are back in your house you can act the boss.

Don't let it be an extended stay cos familiarity breeds contempt.

2 Likes

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Wislet(f): 2:15pm On Feb 06, 2013
Vikin:

I don't know if you read my post very well.

1.The man is traveling and requested her to be with the MIL in his mothers house and not in his own house.
2. You really should learn how to address someone.
3. You advise her to stay alone on her first pregnancy just because she and the man is one, even when the husband is traveling? undecided

Je comprend très bien mais avant de parler. Il faut que tu comprend très bien les discussion.

Now go back, re read the post and write something reasonable.

1. I know how to address people.
2. You should state your point more clearly next time, and not type something else when you mean another.
3. I never advised that she stay alone on her first pregnancy, I addressed only ONE THING- YOUR calling a WIFE a GUEST in her own house.
So, get it right next time.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by chic2007: 3:17pm On Feb 06, 2013
Personally from experience, I know as a fact that over familiarity breeds contempt. angry In laws can come and visit and stay temporarily for short periods of time. There is nothing wrong with that.I have had a sister in law stay with me permanently before and trust me, it wasn't very smooth all the way. Thank God she finally left for good. Sometimes, when she tried to insinuate that it was her brother's house, I put her in her place. She eventually knew when to cut out the crap with me. I wasn't taking any of it at all. I don't want any in law staying permanently with me. This also applies to my own siblings, relations and parents. Everyone, simply visit and stay temporarily and eventually buzz off! grin

1 Like

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 06, 2013
Ok thanks everyone I appreciate all the replies.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by amacastel: 11:04pm On Feb 06, 2013
dasparrow: @Post

If it is for a few days, then okay. If it is for months on end, I say good luck. Nigerian in-laws are no joke. Many of them have a tendency to treat their daughter-in-laws like crap.

Stop all this unnecessary preaching and learn to write proper English first. Do you know what the person might have gone through in the hands of their in-laws to make him or her reach this harsh conclusion? Many Nigerian families are hell and Nigerians generally do not know how to mind their darn business and love acting like they know it all. Why do you think our people are generally disliked in every country they step foot in?

Personally, I am not a huge fan of all this in-law brouhaha. There are people in my own biological family that I can barely tolerate. What makes you think I want to tolerate heifers from another person's family all because I got married?

May God deliver u and forgive u english teacher listen to your self tolerate
"All because you are married" from all indication you are a very wicked person that's why u are not accepted every where you go and ucan't tolerate your family members 1day somebody will take away your child away from u without remorse and you will be a stranger to your own child please don't ever complain since is a good step

Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 07, 2013
They might fck you,
Don't know if it is a pro or con I guess it all depends of you.
Re: Pro And Cons Of Living Together With Your In-Laws. by kay9(m): 1:25pm On Feb 24, 2013
Wislet: 1. I know how to address people.
2. You should state your point more clearly next time, and not type something else when you mean another.
3. I never advised that she stay alone on her first pregnancy, I addressed only ONE THING- YOUR calling a WIFE a GUEST in her own house.
So, get it right next time.

Ok, see, i'm only ''chukin'' my mouth in this matter cos..well, i dunno, mayb i just respect your views. The topic's a lil stale sef, but watever.

Anyway, i think u were a lil offtrack this time, sugarlumps...
What i mean is, u assumed he was calling the woman a guest in her own house. But he wasn't. smiley Go on, re-read his first post. He very clearly started by saying the woman can go stay with the inlaws. Now u cant be ''co-owner'' of your MIL's house now, can u? smiley

Although i dont see the woman going to the inlaws if her own mum's still around...

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Wife Spent 450k On Baby Shoes / A True Live Story(a Young Ladys Case) / Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.