Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? (19485 Views)

What Number Of Children Is Advisable For Average Nigerian Couples / Is It Advisable For Couples To Watch Sex Videos To Improve Their Sex Lives? / A 27-year-old Man Havingsexual Intercourse Withchicken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Tonyblinky(m): 11:13pm On Feb 06, 2013
I am a graduate,aged 27, I recently got a job with a govt parastatal with a salary little above 50k and I was posted to benin city where my parents live in a rented 3bedroom flat,I share room with my siblings and a few relatives.

I don't have any privacy and comfort,moreso its quite far from my workplace.I really feel like renting a small apartment where I can start my life.

Is it a nice decision and how do i convince my parents?

pls ur thoughts on this

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Jellitah: 11:51pm On Feb 06, 2013
Whatcha duuuu'nnnn witcha parents at age 27? undecided
If cost is the issue, please say so. Any parent will be toooooo 'appy to be rid if a 27 year-old. Who should be supporting who? undecided

You do NOT need your parents' consent or permission. YOU ARE AN ADULT! kiss

20 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by eyenCalabar(m): 11:56pm On Feb 06, 2013
U've started already bro. Stay with them and make some saves before u start thinking of privacy. I know all the privacy u want is going to be just because of "one thing" but try and bear with the present situation for now. You won't be missing the funs much. I tell u by the time u start buying your own food, pay some bills and having to take care of "the unknown", u'll realize that it's not beans. Just bear with the situation while you plan. Make good saves now for the future.

50 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by EfemenaXY: 12:01am On Feb 07, 2013
Tonyblinky: I am a graduate,aged 27,

~ I recently got a job with a govt parastatal with a salary little above 50k (Proof of independence and self sustainability)

~ I share room with my siblings and a few relatives,I dont ve any privacy and comfort (Lack of space and comfort)

~ Moreso its quite far from my workplace (Inconvenient distance)

~ I really feel like renting a small apartment where I can start my life, (You've flown the nest.)

~ Is it a nice decision (Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!)

~ And how do i convince my parents?pls ur thoughts on this? You've already said it all!

Jellitah: Whatcha duuuu'nnnn witcha parents at age 27? undecided
If cost is the issue, please say so. Any parent will be toooooo 'appy to be rid if a 27 year-old. Who should be supporting who? undecided

Exactly!

You're so on point here. He is an adult and at that age, owes no one an explanation.

@Poster, congratulations on the job...you're doing well...

13 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by baby124: 1:03am On Feb 07, 2013
eyenCalabar: U've started already bro. Stay with them and make some saves before u start thinking of privacy. I know all the privacy u want is going to be just because of "one thing" but try and bear with the present situation for now. You won't be missing the funs much. I tell u by the time u start buying your own food, pay some bills and having to take care of "the unknown", u'll realize that it's not beans. Just bear with the situation while you plan. Make good saves now for the future.

Rotflmao! This post cracked me up!

@OP,
You know what independence does? It makes you strive for better. Calculate the cost vs benefits of living alone and living closer to work. If it is something that favors you, and at the same time you can save then go for it. If it is something that does not, stay at home till your pay increases. If its all about jollification, take madam to a friends house or hotel. cry cry

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by greatgod2012(f): 1:08am On Feb 07, 2013
Sir, congratulations for your job!
You have answered all your questions by yourselves. Thank God for Efe and Jellita, they have supported you positively.
One thing i am sure of is dt you are an adult, you earn respect by being responsible for your actions, staying with your siblings is not going to earn you respect at all, there is a proverb in our tribe that says....."okeere ni omo iya ndun"(its sweeter when siblings are far from each other), so, if you want your relationship to be sweet, be at your space.
Secondly, if you think staying there will allow you to save more........na lie........once you are there, you have to be supportive and when doing that, its going to be more than what you would have spent on your own, what of when your parents want to pay for rent, wont you assist, what about your siblings, the problems they would have solved if you are not there, will probably become something they would want you to solve for them, afterall, brother dey work, he dey collect salary.
Thirdly.........your comfort and privacy nko, no amount is too much to spend on that, i tell you, its what every real adult deserves.
How to tell them........you dont need how, you only need when and d when is now or when d cash is available!
THE BENEFITS

1. You will be able to save more, you buy what you only can afford, not buying for everybody.
2. You will earn more respect from them all, including your parents.
3. Your parents will be proud of you, they will be proud that they have successfully raised you to adulthood.
4. You will enjoy your privacy and comfort, at least, everyone deserve this and you will be able to plan for your future without interruption.
5. Freedom to live your life without being questioned like a toddler.........but be careful here o....bad company corrupt good manners.
In conclusion, it is d right decision and you will not regret d day you take d decision.
May God help you as you are about going into d new phase of life.
Shalom!

24 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Tonyblinky(m): 11:42am On Feb 07, 2013
Thanks for all the advice,i really appreciate them and more pls,cos my mind is quite made up.
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by slimyem: 12:27pm On Feb 07, 2013
Tonyblinky: Thanks for all the advice,i really appreciate them and more pls,cos my mind is quite made up.
What more when your mind is made up?
You've gotten enough to act on.
Do it already!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by EfemenaXY: 12:36pm On Feb 07, 2013
^^ A major step for him. So understandably, he is nervous. smiley
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Aafulenu(f): 1:22pm On Feb 07, 2013
go ahead and get ur own place, for one i believe ur leaving ur comfort zone of free housing/meals will make u want to hustle more

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by eyenCalabar(m): 4:25pm On Feb 07, 2013
baby_123:

Rotflmao! This post cracked me up!

@OP,
You know what independence does? It makes you strive for better. Calculate the cost vs benefits of living alone and living closer to work. If it is something that favors you, and at the same time you can save then go for it. If it is something that does not, stay at home till your pay increases. If its all about jollification, take madam to a friends house or hotel. cry cry

I wonder why my post cracked u up when we are even almost on the same page here. U've forgotten how you girls' demands used to be abi? You think 50k can do that with other bills. Except he doesn't have a gf sha then he can start managing himself alone.
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Tonyblinky(m): 10:52pm On Feb 07, 2013
My benin based nairalander i really need ur thought on this,,mind u i dnt keep girlfriends for long,a bad habit,can i really meet up?my fears though,nice advice so far,dnt want to see my self back in popsy house in shame
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Aafulenu(f): 6:51am On Feb 08, 2013
guy whats ur problem, i knw many pple that earn far less than what u earn. out there hustling. grow some balls and leave that house abeg, even if u werent working i will stil say leave that house. haba!

i rem last year when my baby got a job for 35k the job even require relocating to anoda state, everybody was telling him it wasnt worth it, dont move out how will u feed etc.
but he moved, collect sal advance loan frm d company and paid his rent in d new state, thus his sal further reduced to 30k cos of d loan. he still survived.
it made him sit up and hustle, looking for avenues for more revenue. now less than a year later, he lives in a flat well furnished and works in a far beta job which he got frm his 35k work.

all my story is, you are a man, leave ur confort zone and hustle. if u fail go back home, ur fada will not kill u, instead he will be proud.

27 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by tellwisdom: 10:07am On Feb 08, 2013
Dude, no mind these gurls o...don't feel u re grown and matured simply because you are earning ten kobo , u call a salary...NO GURL EVER WANTS HIS GUY LIVING WITH HIS PARENT FOR THE FREEDOM THEY SO DESERVED AND WISH TO HAVE WITH THEIR GUY IN HIS OWN APARTMENT...#Na only you knw where dey pain u. So treat am.undecided

4 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Tonyblinky(m): 8:18pm On Feb 09, 2013
Thanks for all your posts,waiting till the end of the month for further actions
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Tonyblinky(m): 7:42pm On Feb 10, 2013
pls fellow nairalanders dont just view this post<pls leave a word for your bruv<i really need them cos i am quite stuck
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by obicentlis: 1:38pm On Feb 11, 2013
@ op,
My guy, I am in your kinda situation but different scenarios. Working in Govt parasatal, living with my parent{ not rented}.
Though my parent is understanding and insisted that am not going to leave cos no male again will be @ home apart from my little sister who will soon wed.
My dad is late but my mom is still much around, I don't spend upto 15percent of my salary and that has given me an edge over my colleagues whom I started work with, cos my account is in a healthy green. That being the gist, the only disadvantage is privacy. You ve to set your priority, do you prefer to save over your privacy? Staying with your parents can't stop you from being a MAN. You alone know what you want in life. As for me, my job gives me enough time, after saving I will invest in another second source of income from which I can take care of other expenses like renting an apartment and furnishing it.
Make your choice boy!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Tonyblinky(m): 9:52pm On May 09, 2013
Pls moderator why didnt this hit fronpage?but if it was tonto dikeh tatoo or jim Iyke,it would ve since,its not fair @ all
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Nobody: 7:22am On May 10, 2013
Jellitah: Whatcha duuuu'nnnn witcha parents at age 27? undecided

if me as a female left my parents house at 21 plus to go and live on my own,i wonder why you a 27 year old man is still feeling reluctant to live.
When i told my parents i want to leave the house to live on my own,my father said the only condition he will release me is if i show him a decent apartment,let him know how much the house rent is and where i will get the money to pay because the day i step out from the house,he wont giv) me a dime.fortunatly,i had already gotten a job,i told him where i work.he followed me to another state where the office to ensure it was genuine,i got the accomodation and he freed me.now i am responsible for nepa bills,filling the gas cooker every month,paying for dstv etc.in short i am generally responsible for my upkeep.it makes you grow and take charge of your life.you on your own case,you are a man,you will get a wife soon,so you need to learn how to live independently on your own first before bringing in a woman.when you are your own plumber,cook,electrician etc,you will be able to be used to taking care of your own home and self with or without a wife.so please bro,grow up.be strong!

12 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Dainy1(m): 10:55am On May 10, 2013
Tonyblinky: I am a graduate,aged 27,i recently got a job with a govt parastatal with a salary little above 50k and I was posted to benin city where my parents live in a rented 3bedroom flat,I share room with my siblings and a few relatives,I dont ve any privacy and comfort,moreso its quite far from my workplace,I really feel like renting a small apartment where I can start my life,Is it a nice decision and how do i convince my parents?pls ur thoughts on this
this is the best time for u to plan ur life well. stay with them for a while, endure everything, save ur money then go get ur own house close to ur working place. but dont go for the most expensive house o o. set up ur goal and pusua it.
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by otokx(m): 11:26am On May 10, 2013
nice thread
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 10, 2013
I have friend, way back ,a guy who started staying on his own apartment at the age of 23.. He was hustling from 19yrs old, cos his parents lived in the village and very poor, he wants a better life for himself.. He came to lagos, trained himself through secondary school , then took a break to work , before heading for a part time course in the university. He is doing well, he bought his first car at the age of 27yrs.. Relocated to a better apartment...I admire him, cause he is a hard worker, with dreams... He is not lazy at all... Such an admirable youngman, whose parents just gave him,primary education... But still making headway ... So op, you are a full adult and a man, your decision to get your own place is in order ...and will either make you more responsible or irresponsible... The choice is now yours to choose..

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by vanstanzy(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2013
Tonyblinky: I am a graduate,aged 27, I recently got a job with a govt parastatal with a salary little above 50k and I was posted to benin city where my parents live in a rented 3bedroom flat,I share room with my siblings and a few relatives.

I don't have any privacy and comfort,moreso its quite far from my workplace.I really feel like renting a small apartment where I can start my life.

pls ur thoughts on this

Why not, if not. Its a great idea. Mummsy and Poppsy will be proud of ya. My junior brother got married at age 28, but before then he had moved into his own place at age 26.
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by sammyyoung2(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2013
Please Observe The Following Rules: (skip)
1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail or tribalize threads.
19. Don't create a new account when banned for breaking a rule. If you do, make sure we don't find out.

NOTED!!!!
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by nekaa(f): 6:44pm On May 10, 2013
Sure... Ma momma usually chased her boiz out at 25..
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by DICKtator: 6:46pm On May 10, 2013
kulyie: if me as a female left my parents house at 21 plus to go and live on my own,i wonder why you a 27 year old man is still feeling reluctant to live.
When i told my parents i want to leave the house to live on my own,my father said the only condition he will release me is if i show him a decent apartment,let him know how much the house rent is and where i will get the money to pay because the day i step out from the house,he wont giv) me a dime.fortunatly,i had already gotten a job,i told him where i work.he followed me to another state where the office to ensure it was genuine,i got the accomodation and he freed me.now i am responsible for nepa bills,filling the gas cooker every month,paying for dstv etc.in short i am generally responsible for my upkeep.it makes you grow and take charge of your life.you on your own case,you are a man,you will get a wife soon,so you need to learn how to live independently on your own first before bringing in a woman.when you are your own plumber,cook,electrician etc,you will be able to be used to taking care of your own home and self with or without a wife.so please bro,grow up.be strong!
You know,you should cum to my place one of these days. You visit mine and i visit yours!!!!
P.S: We won't sleep at night cos the night is always young. Perhaps during the daytime wink wink wink wink
grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by lastmanstandn(m): 6:46pm On May 10, 2013
Ode. I started living and fending for myself @ 19. That was the last I slept under the same roof with any of both parents. And we're all in Nigeria.
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by imperiouxx(m): 6:46pm On May 10, 2013
What kind of question is this? Inasmuch you are over 18, who cares who paid for the rent.
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Exponental(m): 6:49pm On May 10, 2013
If not now when? Till u are 72?
If I may ask, did u school in benin? If no, were u moving from home?
Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 10, 2013

6 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by dasparrow: 6:50pm On May 10, 2013
Tonyblinky: I am a graduate,aged 27, I recently got a job with a govt parastatal with a salary little above 50k and I was posted to benin city where my parents live in a rented 3bedroom flat,I share room with my siblings and a few relatives.

pls ur thoughts on this

You no dey shame asking this kind of question?

In the western world, people are moving out of their parents' home at 18 years old and you are sitting there at 27 years old still living with parents like you are some toddler. Please pack out of the nest and learn some independence.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place? by alphaconde(m): 6:51pm On May 10, 2013
My own problem is that I just can't do without my family home d comfort I feel here is next to none. Besides I got everything I want @ 25 a degree a car etc and moreso I can't rent a place in the same town where my parents have a big house. I have resolved I will only leave when I have built my house.
@ op me think its a matter of choice. U can save up a lot big time while giving up ur privacy. With that saving and promotion in ur work place u can do a lot soonest with your income. Think about it, unless u feel u are not comfortable with your parents.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Son Is A Month Old Today..(pictures). / Nigerian Man Celebrates As His Wife Gives Birth To Twins After 10 Years / 6 Life Saving Tips For Running A Generator At Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.