Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,667 members, 7,820,342 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen (24567 Views)

XENOPHOBIC ATTACK: South African Policemen Smile At A Burning Victim (PHOTO) / Nigerian Journalists Struggle For Fried Chicken At Inec Office (Photo) / Nigerian Journalists Win CNN/MultiChoice Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by GARRIx7(m): 11:14pm On Feb 13, 2013
S.A Police brutalise Nigerian journalists

Two Nigerian journalists were harassed, brutalised and detained for lack of good reasons by South African police in Johannesburg on Tuesday afternoon.

South Africa Correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Debo Oshundun and Deputy Editor of the Sun Newspapers, John Joshua-Akanji were cornered by policemen when they were on their way to cover the departure of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations champions the Super Eagles, at the OR Tambo Airport, South Africa.

Joshua-Akanji told Goal.com about his ordeal at the hands of the South Africa Policemen.

“I thank God we are still alive because we could have been shot. I have never been in that situation in my life. I was dragged on the floor kicked and brutalised. I and John Joshua-Akanji were disposed of our phones, my keys and we couldn’t contact anybody. We were detained for two hours and I was really traumatised for the time the police dealt with us and still imagining it up till now”, the Weekend Editor of the Soccer Star disclosed.

Joshua-Akanji had to miss his South African Airways flight due to this unfortunate incident.

“I am perplexed and short of words to describe the way I felt during and after our ordeal in the hands of the policemen here. I have not experienced this in my whole life.

The police claimed that they stopped our car because the taxi we were in has a plate number with two different characters. Immediately they stopped us they removed the plate number. They lied that they have been trailing,” Oshundun said on Tuesday afternoon.

Lieutenant Colonel MF Tshabalala, station commander at the Sandringham Command South Africa Police service, SAPS, later apologised for the treatment meted out on the Nigeria journalists.

It took the intervention of the Nigerian Consulate in Johannesburg to secure the release of both men. There are no indication yet, if the Journalists will press for charges against the South African Police.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/s-a-police-brutalise-nigerian-journalists/
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Nobody: 11:40pm On Feb 13, 2013
Wat stops us from paying them back in their own coinv furking south african baboons always pretending as if their dead land is african version of paris. I no blame them na our butt-licking past leaders put us for dis kind trash. Goshhhhhhhh

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Nobody: 11:42pm On Feb 13, 2013
South Africa and Xenophobia...

Dem go ist commit atrocities later apologised!!!.....olooooshi!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by GARRIx7(m): 11:58pm On Feb 13, 2013
It took the intervention of the Nigerian Consulate in Johannesburg to secure the release of both men.

Kudos to the personnel of the Nigerian consulate who stepped in to secure the release of the journalists. This incident however must be thoroughly investigated. We cannot keep having our citizens maltreated just like that. We are hearing of this because the victims are journalists.

What if they were poor Nigerians trying to make ends meet over there?? Would we have heard about their maltreatment??

Only God knows how many Nigerians they've killed without anyone hearing about it!!

angry

Meanwhile, still on front page things.... GOD punish Devil!!!........ cheesy cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by manny4life(m): 2:02am On Feb 14, 2013
Well I pity Nigeria and Nigerians who live in SA in general, if a place is hostile to you, why do u stay there? If you're from tne NAN, shouldn't they have had an AFCON/SA press pass or an ID? Isn't that how foreigners do it? Notwithstanding, they treatment meted out to them is unjust, hopefully, Nigerian govt will look into this. Nigerians can't be treated like they're caused people even on their own continent.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Jetland(m): 2:14am On Feb 14, 2013
Doz people really hate 9aija eeh.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by strangest(m): 2:15am On Feb 14, 2013
they should press charges
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Chartey(m): 2:16am On Feb 14, 2013
If this really happened, then it should be condemned totally. I must add though that some Nigerians have this "too-known" attitude and are kind of proud when in other African countries. I've seen this first-hand and explained to lots of people that not all Nigerians are like that. Funny thing is, when i tell people I'm half-ghanaian, they tell me that's the reason I'm not like that.
One thing is certain though, South Africans have issues with Nigerians.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by jayonpoint(m): 2:19am On Feb 14, 2013
An stil our retarden leaders wl nxt time deploy soldiers to SA in d name of big brother africa
Even wen its obvious, dt most African countries hates us wit Deir
Last breathe. Anyway, we're 1st our own problems. Bcus we here on NL hv
Bn cowards enof no tanks to our timid frm saving dis dying nation frm dese
Clueless dt bedevil d nation. We're big sucks virtually everywhere, nt bcus
Dey so hates us, of course nt bt bcus we hv failed ourselves bcus of our
Fear wich has definitely liable to wher we're.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Nobody: 2:23am On Feb 14, 2013
Nigerian Kpor kpor Force shey una dey see wetin dem dey do awa blodas?Oya make una go find all those malnourished Southy wen dey DSTV and MTN make una do dem back.Infact make una show dem pepper.One-One na draw two-one na winning.In Paw Paw's voice to David Mark "you are right they don't like Nigerians i also saw it myself in SA".

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Siga: 2:24am On Feb 14, 2013
I still dont know why South Africans hate Nigerians....are we the white people wey deal with una.....wat is the reason behind the hatred....its just too much....this is pure JEALOUSY....anytime they hear Nigeria they become so angry and hostile.....awon oloriburuku dede.....b4stards....

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by pharmow: 2:34am On Feb 14, 2013
If U investigate deeper, naija guys go don do their wives or gfs strong thing...........No be we say make their joystick small.....they are suffering from inferiority complex

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Anvaller: 2:39am On Feb 14, 2013
manny4life: Well I pity Nigeria and Nigerians who live in SA in general, if a place is hostile to you, why do u stay there? If you're from tne NAN, shouldn't they have had an AFCON/SA press pass or an ID? Isn't that how foreigners do it? Notwithstanding, they treatment meted out to them is unjust, hopefully, Nigerian govt will look into this. Nigerians can't be treated like they're caused people even on their own continent.

U are still talking as if u are trying to assume that those police men are reasonable. Which journalist will not have a badge or any form of identity covering afcon? The police knew they were Nigerians they just wanted to deal with them, that is how irrelevant they see us. Did u hear almost the whole stadium hailing the B.Faso team and booing Nigeria every time we had the ball in the final match? Who do u think they were? The South Africa and the Southern Africans hate Nigeria big time... So be aware in case u didnt know.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Nobody: 3:01am On Feb 14, 2013
GARRI (x7):

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/s-a-police-brutalise-nigerian-journalists/

It's ok, they're NIGERIANS and should be to it by now.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by taharqa: 3:05am On Feb 14, 2013
jay_onpoint: An stil our retarden leaders wl nxt time deploy soldiers to SA in d name of big brother africa
Even wen its obvious, dt most African countries hates us wit Deir
Last breathe. Anyway, we're 1st our own problems. Bcus we here on NL hv
Bn cowards enof no tanks to our timid frm saving dis dying nation frm dese
Clueless dt bedevil d nation. We're big sucks virtually everywhere, nt bcus
Dey so hates us, of course nt bt bcus we hv failed ourselves bcus of our
Fear wich has definitely liable to wher we're.
Plz SHUT ya mouth, and try mking sense nx time...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by akatonero(m): 3:06am On Feb 14, 2013
Enough of all this from south Africans the worst part is that dey dnt even have name grin grin grin May be dey re jealous why we re not west Africa.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by playahP(m): 3:12am On Feb 14, 2013
I'd prefer the treatment they got from the S.A police to the treatment you'd get from the nigerian police force!!.... If we don't treat ourselves right in our country; no country would treat us right!

We africans are fond of treating foreigners(especially the white folks) better than we treat ourselves!!.....

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by naptu2: 3:18am On Feb 14, 2013
manny4life: Well I pity Nigeria and Nigerians who live in SA in general, if a place is hostile to you, why do u stay there? If you're from tne NAN, shouldn't they have had an AFCON/SA press pass or an ID? Isn't that how foreigners do it? Notwithstanding, they treatment meted out to them is unjust, hopefully, Nigerian govt will look into this. Nigerians can't be treated like they're caused people even on their own continent.

I heard the interview on radio. JJA said they showed them their I'd cards, but a policeman said, "so, do you think you are special? I can shoot you right here." And pointed his gun at JJA's head. They also interviewed the cab driver who was pretty shaken up by the incident.

Although, on radio they didn't mention the part about consulate officials intervening. They said the head of the police station (the Lieutenant Colonel) released them and apologised when he heard their story.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Dibiachukwu: 3:19am On Feb 14, 2013
playah P: I'd prefer the treatment they got from the S.A police to the treatment you'd get from the nigerian police force!!.... If we don't treat ourselves right in our country; no country would treat us right!

We africans are fond of treating foreigners(especially the white folks) better than we treat ourselves!!.....
South's should be careful, very careful. They don't want to make Nigeria their enemy. Maybe it is because, we don't reply. Why is anybody in south Africa though. Anyway, boyz must hustle.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Engen(m): 3:21am On Feb 14, 2013
B.S...WHAT THE HELL..HALF GHANAIAN MY FOOT...SOUTH AFRICANS HAVE ISSUES WITH NIGERIA PERIOD...I LIVE AND WORK IN CPT...AND THEIR MEDIA BROUGHT THIS MALTREATMENT ON NIGERIANS...HALF GHANAIAN KO,HALF JORDANIAN NI..OLOSHI...
Chartey: If this really happened, then it should be condemned totally. I must add though that some Nigerians have this "too-known" attitude and are kind of proud when in other African countries. I've seen this first-hand and explained to lots of people that not all Nigerians are like that. Funny thing is, when i tell people I'm half-ghanaian, they tell me that's the reason I'm not like that.
One thing is certain though, South Africans have issues with Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Engen(m): 3:25am On Feb 14, 2013
SOME PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE JUST PLAIN RETARDS...I PRAY EVERYDAY FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU TO DIE IN THIS COUNTRY AND ALL WILL BE WELL..CAN YOU IMAGINE THE B.S FROM YOUR MOUTH,,MUMU
playah P: I'd prefer the treatment they got from the S.A police to the treatment you'd get from the nigerian police force!!.... If we don't treat ourselves right in our country; no country would treat us right!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by RedLight1: 3:36am On Feb 14, 2013
Engen: B.S...WHAT THE HELL..HALF GHANAIAN MY FOOT...SOUTH AFRICANS HAVE ISSUES WITH NIGERIA PERIOD...I LIVE AND WORK IN CPT...AND THEIR MEDIA BROUGHT THIS MALTREATMENT ON NIGERIANS...HALF GHANAIAN KO,HALF JORDANIAN NI..OLOSHI...
lmao
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Hoodrat(m): 4:16am On Feb 14, 2013
This is what happen when we as Nigerian remain silent whenever our name are been tagged in everything negative by western media who never expect or wish for an intelligent Africans. The negativity is now costing us our lives with so much hates from each and every corner of the world because of our silence and inability to voice our concern to defend and put a stop on this clueless behavioral of human. Today they use the b i t ch call opera winfrey tomorrow they use a lowlife Africans be it european to spit trash on us on media just to proclaim us as nothing but bad.

This people cant fool me enough and someday id go crazy on anyone try to f u c k up my mind by stereotyping me, which is why i keep my glock with me all the time because is definitely too short to put up with so much s h it.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by mexzie12: 4:32am On Feb 14, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Kudos to the personnel of the Nigerian consulate who stepped in to secure the release of the journalists. This incident however must be thoroughly investigated. We cannot keep having our citizens maltreated just like that. We are hearing of this because the victims are journalists.

What if they were poor Nigerians trying to make ends meet over there?? Would we have heard about their maltreatment??

Only God knows how many Nigerians they've killed without anyone hearing about it!!

angry
GARRI (x7):

angry
GARRI (x7):

angry
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by topsy1971: 4:44am On Feb 14, 2013
Our leaders, our resources secured their independence.Now they are hostile to our citizens. What an irony! Do they want us to blame our past leaders for efforts spent towards their emancipation and independence? Nigeria will continue to rule Africa.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by SeunT2(m): 5:17am On Feb 14, 2013
Kai I am really really boiling right now for this news..I wish I have the power to charge them for this their stupit act..mtcheew...I don't know y they so much hate Nigerian ha ha! Kai..anyway either they like it or not we have won the AFCON and will continue to be the giant of Africa.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by searay(m): 5:20am On Feb 14, 2013
I know next to join the Nigera Haterz Association(NHA) will be Mali, whenever they are liberated.

Now Nigerian Journalist, it's time to pick up your pen and paper and let the whole world hear of this.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Nobody: 5:31am On Feb 14, 2013

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by martyns303(m): 5:36am On Feb 14, 2013
U could be jailed in SA and ur only crime is being Nigerian, they have the perception that all Nigerians are criminals and should be avoided. Its not easy being Nigerian in SA. Nigerians are given nick names such as "sunnyside" or "Hillbrow", these are areas of high level of crimal activities. You should read their only paper sowetanlive.co.za to see the level of hate they have for Nigerians.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by sunnyp1(m): 5:44am On Feb 14, 2013
GARRI (x7):

angry

Meanwhile, still on front page things.... GOD punish Devil!!!........ cheesy cheesy

Front page for ur mind abi
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by iornenge81(m): 5:52am On Feb 14, 2013
why always Nigerian ;Dwhy always Nigerian
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Nobody: 6:02am On Feb 14, 2013
the government Should step in this time... none of their citizens are maltreated over here.... where are the laptops?! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Abdulmumini Jubrin's Question Causes Controversy On Twitter / Kaduna Train Attack: BBC Describes Terrorists As 'Gang' / Breakdown Of Registered Voters By INEC As At 31st Of August 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.