Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,049 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi (13188 Views)

Makoko Floating School, Lagos In Pictures / India's Answer To Nigeria's Makoko Floating School [pics] / A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by tunde300us(m): 2:38pm On Feb 15, 2013
I dont see any tidal issue here,that area of makoko has had worse building made with materials not half as strong as what you see and yet nothing of a tidal issue has occured.For ur info that school is just by the bank of the area and i dont see any tidal issue.I mite be wrong though but u need better explanation to convince me this isnt out of the box idea from lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Demdem(m): 2:38pm On Feb 15, 2013
For_Now:

This Retardeen dude sef (Demdem), you no go bridle ur tongue. Its like ur parents did not give u gud home training. Anyway, you are not to be blamed, your parents cannot give you what they don't have. Lets keep watching as the sanitization in the country is going on even if it is slow and steady. remember, the rot did not start when GEJ took over govt. but way before. Trust me, those milking this country dry will want to frustrate any move to carry out this sanity by employing paid post like yours and rain insults like you to dampen any effort applied at sanitization. There will always be resistance and smearing from the evil cabals in the system, hence the slow and steady nature of the present govt. If any politrician tells you he can do it overnight and you believe him, then you must be the biggest fool of ur generation.

Fool, never knew ur parents are hopelessly useless. Anyway, thats not the issue for discussion here. This story only reminded me about the promise the Retardeen made about Floating cities here in ND. Av u seen any? ur post didnt say anything about it coward.

1 Like

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by sharpboyus(m): 2:40pm On Feb 15, 2013
pekelepekele: Where will the children's be playing during breaking time . Fashola likes doing unnecessary peculiar things (I don dey become Patrick Obaihgbon small small grin)

They will be busy swimming!

1 Like

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Nobody: 2:42pm On Feb 15, 2013
Doesn't look safe @all....and for children?dats kinda dangerous
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by ba7man(m): 2:42pm On Feb 15, 2013
Nice innovation. This type of architectural design should be replicated all over that location by the State Government as residential buildings. Can you belive the residents of Makoko pay rent to stay in those shanties.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by penzino(m): 2:43pm On Feb 15, 2013
pekelepekele: Where will the children's be playing during breaking time . Fashola likes doing unnecessary peculiar things (I don dey become Patrick Obaihgbon small small grin)
u no sabi read abi? Play ground dey dia.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by ba7man(m): 2:44pm On Feb 15, 2013
liberty300: Doesn't look safe @all....and for children?dats kinda dangerous
Why are u talking as if you don't know the kinds of buildings they live-in in Makoko.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by gluv01(f): 2:45pm On Feb 15, 2013
Akshow: you be architect? Abi you think say the builders Foolish like you? As you no see any bad belle comment make na him make you vomit this rubbish? Oya carry shame waka from here Anuofia

Evidence of foolishness, lack of education and Nigerian local mentality...Nkpi... tongue So they'll use firewood to build a school on a river and how long do u expect that to last with the raining season ahead. See u, better get urself good education and learn to reason like an educated person... grin
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by rabdeluxe(m): 2:46pm On Feb 15, 2013
It a pity... Eko no go spoil and now they are spoiling it.....
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by gluv01(f): 2:48pm On Feb 15, 2013
tunde300us: I dont see any tidal issue here,that area of makoko has had worse building made with materials not half as strong as what you see and yet nothing of a tidal issue has occured.For ur info that school is just by the bank of the area and i dont see any tidal issue.I mite be wrong though but u need better explanation to convince me this isnt out of the box idea from lagos.

Good thought...If it is on the bank then better. At least, there'll be less fear of the tidal issues. But of it's not, U know what happens embarassed
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by gluv01(f): 2:54pm On Feb 15, 2013
JideTheBlogger:

As if you sabi pass them... mtchew**

And as for you, kini big deal with what I said? Everything that has an advantage has a disadvantage...EVERYTHING IN LIFE. I only mentioned the disadvantage of the school building with ordinary wood, perhaps in a harsh manner which i'm not supposed to. Doesn't mean I'm more knowledgeable than them in the area of ship or school building whatever. I just wanted to add a comment of what I thought about it. OP didn't mention that criticism is not welcome. So what's your headache with it? Take time o cheesy

1 Like

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Symphony007: 3:06pm On Feb 15, 2013
This is exastubating a problem, rather than thinking of a way to give this people a better place to stay he's doubling down on their current condition. Makoko is a danger to lagos, the lagoon and even the inhabitants.

Most of the people there are fishermen, why don't the government provide specialized fishing boats for the fisherman who will now be employed by the government thereby creating revenue for government and in return build a council flat kind of little flats for the people with a modest income and makoko will be demolished, the remaining part of the shore will be used to build luxury condo's cause some rich folks will pay big time for a seaview residence..with this you've solved a lot of problems. Gotten rid of an eye sore, lifted some people out of poverty and created multiple source of income to the state.

2 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Henryogasele: 3:10pm On Feb 15, 2013
papi water,mami water.............fisheries and aquaculture!!
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by crackhaus: 3:11pm On Feb 15, 2013
ebamma: Another yaba left, escapee,
Spoken by another chief yaba left escapee, whatever that means....
Try to be less cryptic so we know what you mean
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by superbloke(m): 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2013
Jibsonified: Good innovation, I guess there will be more of this to really achieve gd goal of schoolin d children of Makoko..cos 100 pupil-school aint enuf..I'm sure it is to avoid offsetting d stability that they have such small number, BUT, there is alot I think they should have 2 consider which is obviously absent, viz
1. The use of wood is entirely inappopraite..or is this meant to b a shortlived building, cos d wood will def diminish in quality especialy as it is exposed to water n warmth. I suggest they use special alloy that is even far lighter than wood eg Duralumin..abi dem no get money buy am ni
2. How will those drum withstand tide n even storm.. I see a wreckage wit this kind of design o
3 By the way is it meant to move like a ship?... Mobile school?!
well well all these and more are meant to be considered b4 we can appluad this innovation
gluv01:

And as for you, kini big deal with what I said? Everything that has an advantage has a disadvantage...EVERYTHING IN LIFE. I only mentioned the disadvantage of the school building with ordinary wood, perhaps in a harsh manner which i'm not supposed to. Doesn't mean I'm more knowledgeable than them in the area of ship or school building whatever. I just wanted to add a comment of what I thought about it. They didn't mention that criticism is not welcome. So what's your headache with it? Take time o cheesy

Those involved are professionals, architects and structural engineers, so i believe they know exactly what they are doing. There are cabins and shacks built with wood at the banks of rivers in other countries. The tides change but they remain strong for many years. What matters is the quality of the wood. I think this is innovative in the sense that the makoko residents live on water, so why not take the school to them? The drums are filled with air so there's no way the school is going down, plus if you know physics, you'll understand that the waves will not move the stucture. It will remain in one position, just going up and down. so, in my opinion, it seems perfectly safe.

1 Like

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by ba7man(m): 3:13pm On Feb 15, 2013
gluv01:

Evidence of foolishness, lack of education and Nigerian local mentality...Nkpi... tongue So they'll use firewood to build a school on a river and how long do u expect that to last with the raining season ahead. See u, better get urself good education and learn to reason like an educated person... grin
Actually, you're the one that's wrong here. I'm an Architect and i tell you that building will last for decades if well maintained and proper seasoned wood is used. By the way, its cheaper and lighter(to aid floatation). The shacks they currently live in in Makoko is made of wood and it has survived decades, Ijaws build too using wood on water....Water side locations in South-East Asia also build on water using wood so its a worldwide practice.

2 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by PENMIGHT(m): 3:31pm On Feb 15, 2013
During d last hurricanes in d US,professional in d built-world were amazed as to why huriccanes swept away houses and yet an 'flimsy' SPIDER's WEB survived d storm. It was later to be discovered that the spider's web got its safety measures not from d strenght of d wool but in its DESIGN.Though d web look one structure but it comprises of individual cells which existence is independent on others. The floating school is ingenious. The durabilty,strenght,weight of material used would ve been ascertained. Ships are built of heavy Steels, yet it floats. Planes despite d weight suspends. Wood-good , cured and kilned ones- is d a good choice given d limitations in our indigenous capabilities. The psycology of d users too as per their immediate environment too makes wood a good call. However, Post Occupancy Evaluations will give room for future improvement.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Emusan(m): 3:41pm On Feb 15, 2013
gluv01: This is rubbish!!! angry Locally sourced wood instead of steel? Why don't they use steel used for building a normal ship? Are these people serious? shocked

The architectural work is great, but the materials used? it's a no!

They will only end up killing children...What if the tide comes? And is it rubber or plastic that will hold the boat(floating school) firm?
Steel is much more better as it can withstand the surge if any unexpected occurrence takes place...hmmm...NAija I hail o
#sense of reasoning#

@ bolded, as a constructionist; builder's are looking a way to eliminate heavy materials in construction that's why sky scrapers can be successful in construction today.

Again, in comparison of a ship with a house; Ship is a movable object (most inner walls of a ship is constructed with wood) while this one is a stationary structure. In conclusion, wood is one of the most lesser dense engineering materials. Here you can only talk about the maintainance.
#thanks
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by vizboy(m): 3:47pm On Feb 15, 2013
gluv01: This is rubbish!!! angry Locally sourced wood instead of steel? Why don't they use steel used for building a normal ship? Are these people serious? shocked

They will only end up killing children...What if the tide comes? And is it rubber or plastic that will hold the boat(floating school) firm?
Steel is much more better as it can withstand the surge if any unexpected occurrence takes place...hmmm...NAija I hail o
#sense of reasoning#
see your low sense of thinking. You dont know water is a good electricity then you say make then add iron join
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by seunajia: 4:01pm On Feb 15, 2013

Old Techniques
The first narrow boats were pulled along the canals by horse and were made primarily from wood. They were traditionally completely hand crafted from oak or elm. The carvel built and
clinker built methods of construction were usually used to build the shell. This is when thick wooden planks lie edge to edge or overlap over a frame, respectively. The hulls were round chined (slightly pointed) and iron rivets were normally used to hold the timber together.
They were all less than 7 feet in width and usually less than 10 feet in width in order to navigate the canals for transportation of goods.
Steel was first used in the design of narrow boats in 1887 but the hulls wore away with rust therefore new materials had to be considered. In 1896, elm wood was used for the underside of the boat with riveted iron sides forming a composite construction. These boats were known as ‘Joshers’ after Joshua Fellows the original designer of these composite boats. This construction faired better in the water and many
of these narrowboats are still used today.

New Designs
Modern narrowboats are a much more complex affair particularly as they need to be made into a home fit to live in. They are made from a welded steel shell and timber is still normally used to build the interior. Traditional oak and elm woods can now be replaced with cheaper hardwoods and attached with galvanised iron or steel fittings. Some people prefer to still handcraft narrowboats completely from wood, but this is rare and the ones used as homes need to be more durable.

www.floating-homes.co.uk/guides/narrowboat_construction.php

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by mollie12: 4:12pm On Feb 15, 2013

#sense of reasoning#

Tide? Sweetheart, relax, its a lagoon.

There's this weird habit we have as Nigerians. If the title had read something like "Floating school in Dubai/New York" we would rush here quickly to laud the creativity and superior intelligence of the white man's brain. But because its a fellow 'dudu' like us, we are asking all manner of questions, and predicting doom for the project.

Na wa for una oh. Please change your ways.

2 Likes

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by hyelhira: 4:27pm On Feb 15, 2013
Lagos' flood-beating floating school nears completion
Design and urbanism practice NLÉ, led by Nigerian architect Kunle Adeyemi, is building a new multilevel school in Makoko – a region of Nigeria's most populous city, Lagos. While that doesn't sound too unusual, the difference here is that in an effort to address the issues of land scarcity and poor waste management that affect the flood-prone area, this school is being built on floating platforms.
Designed for 100 pupils and their teaching staff, the Makoko School is 108 sq. ft. (10 sq. m) at its base, 33 ft (10 m) high. The design uses approximately 256 plastic drums to float on the water and the frame is constructed using locally sourced wood. Solar panels are planned to provide electricity along with rainwater harvesting to facilitate the newly installed compost toilets as a solution to the non-existent sewerage system. The design team has included a playground on the base level with a further two floors for classrooms above

As Nigeria’s commercial capital and economic center, Lagos has an estimated population of fifteen million which makes it larger than London, Buenos Aires and Beijing. The 250,000 strong community of Makoko has lived in stilt houses above a lagoon for generations. The waterway lifestyle, where daily travel takes place in canoes, prompted Portuguese colonists to name the city Lagos (which means "lakes" and the longest bridge in Africa connects the main city to the lagoon islands. In the last year local and national discussions have taken place about the impact of climate change upon the water settlements as rising sea levels, coastal erosion and tropical rains have overwhelmed the current system.
NLÉ hopes the Makoko School design will be a prototype to improve the architecture and urbanism of African coastal cities and create floating homes, community centers and play spaces. Kunle Adeyemi states that if the initial school building is successful, replicated structures could provide homes for over 100,000 people in the area.

After successfully completing test floating platforms in September 2012, NLÉ says the US$6250 prototype building is almost complete and will hopefully be ready to welcome a new school year.
http://www.gizmag.com/floating-school-lagos-nle/26250/

Your answer is in the highlighted (bold) part of the quote. Please always pay attention to details. Comprehension is the main objective of reading.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by thirdeye(m): 4:28pm On Feb 15, 2013
This is a great idea and I also like the criticisms, the professionals I beleive must have considered the safety and have a way of tackling resultant challenges.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by skyfall: 4:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
Great idea. Lagos...ever innovative.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by gogodaye(m): 4:42pm On Feb 15, 2013
Another point on sure way of a responsive government's attempt at bringing the much talked about desired development to the door steps of its people amd communitires in its quest at attaining the Millenuim Development Goals. Bravo to the engineering team and their LASG financier. We want and shall continue to clamour for this type/kind of government in Nigeria.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Akiika: 4:44pm On Feb 15, 2013
But why do you have to verbally abuse yourselves because you disagree on issues?
Majority of NL commentators are either childish or negative and/or unintelligent.
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Jerryjat(m): 4:52pm On Feb 15, 2013
nice... as in real nice....[color=#000099][/color][size=8pt][/size]
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Parnassuss(m): 4:58pm On Feb 15, 2013
Mad Cow: One word to describe this; BRILLIANT AND INGENIOUS..

2 words mate.

Nice idea though

1 Like

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by sirhot(m): 5:31pm On Feb 15, 2013

#sense of reasoning#

It's very funny how some people dey to access to internet feel all they have to do is just to log on and criticize unnecessarily. I want to ask, What did you study? Because I know it is not going to be science and engineering. My dear concentrate in your field, we know what we are doing as far as science and technology is concerned. grin. The name is Floating School meaning a structure that can float like a boat, so ordinarily it needs materials like plastic or other light objects like wood also not STEEL as you suggested tongue.

Countries that earthquake happen often use materials that make the building bounce when there is an earthquake. Countries like Japan have a floating airport, if that is suggested in Nigeria, folks like you will rush to the internet to make unnecessary comments. Naija babes hmmmm...

1 Like

Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by mikeapollo: 5:32pm On Feb 15, 2013
After destroying their people livelihood, destroying their houses and killing their chief in the process, the clueless and heartless governor is now trying to deceive the kids with a phantom school. 2015 in sight.

This was the man that bought helmets for Motorcyclists(Okada) before the elections and started using policemen to destroy their machine and haunt the same people into cells after the elections.

Wicked soul! No one should be deceived by this man called Fashola
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Akshow: 6:09pm On Feb 15, 2013
gluv01:

Mumu mgbeke. That wan na fire wood for your eye? If blindness is added to your affinities then you are doomed so dont give us the impression that you are blind. Senseless black belle she goat. See as people finish your life for that moroooonic post
Re: Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi by Fostercat(m): 6:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
Some folks here r very daft.children that were born on water nd leaving on water,wat fear will they entertain? In fact am siure dey ll love to swim during brk time.nice1 BRF.tnx for giving the children hope

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free Admission Without Jamb / Sylvester Oromoni's Father Says Lagos Government And Police Are In Conspiracy / Does A NECO Certificate Carry Dob(date Of Birth)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.