Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,471 members, 7,819,718 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year (9742 Views)

The Photoshop That Fooled 170 Million Nigerians / Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 / Advantages Of Nigeria's Population. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by ozone3: 2:43pm On Feb 17, 2013
Lagos state shares boundaries with Ogun state and a lot of people actually live in Ogun and travel into Lagos each day. On census day there is normally a restriction of movement in and some people travel out to their villages. I guess this is one of the factors that leads to a smaller than typical headcount for Lagos.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Sagamite(m): 2:59pm On Feb 17, 2013
ozone-3:
Lagos state shares boundaries with Ogun state and a lot of people actually live in Ogun and travel into Lagos each day. On census day there is normally a restriction of movement in and some people travel out to their villages. I guess this is one of the factors that leads to a smaller than typical headcount for Lagos.

I disagree.

I thought about that, but figured it was not possible.

Nigeria does not have the travel infrastructure to enable people live in Ogun State and travel to work in Lagos every day. There is hardly anyway to travel to the commercial hubs of Lagos in less than 1 hour daily. No existing way is even reliable enough to do it 5 dyas a week before 9am. Those living in Lagos itself, find it a struggle to get to work in less than 1 hour. They leave home before 6am to even have a chance.

Secondly, the population of Ogun State is merely 4m. So if you ridiculously add even all that to Lagos and outrageously make Ogun State a zero population state, it still would not reflect a fair proportion of the population Lagos should have.

Before census day, before the restrictions, there is a great migration from Lagos. This affects the people counted.

If I was the governor of Lagos, in the next census, I would send a Lagos census team to accompany all national census officials across Lagos and record those counted. If your name is not on the list and you come/relocate to Lagos anytime for the next 5 years without evidence of working with some reliable organisation, studying or being hospitalised outside Lagos during the census, you would pay a higher tax rate than other people on the list that we have from the census and would (with your family) not be entitled to any free public services of the state as well, you will pay for them.

That would deal with those that leave Lagos to be counted in their villages and reduce the allocation entitlement of the state. What the state loses would be recouped from them.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by kokoA(m): 6:17pm On Feb 17, 2013
Make una close una mouth jor! Abi no be una dey born all the pikins wey dey increase our population? Na ghana abi cameroun dey born our children for us?.. You guys will come here to anounce how dangerous our population explosion is and go back to hump your wives or girlfriends.. As far as I am concerned, na God dey give pikin, make we accept dem as dem dey come jare.. Long live Naija! grin
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by manibuds(m): 8:00pm On Feb 18, 2013
Aggrippa:
guy because nairaland has 1 million membs does not mean they are less, mind you naija is still a very primitive illiterate kon3. to be honest most still dont know what internet is. naija is more than 200 million!!!!
some of us contest this claim that nigeria is 170m.naija is very primitive you say but how many pple within your circle dont have a gsm line?many may be poor and iliterate but they must eat and move around,getting info from pple in certain will expose the truth.data from bus parks,the number of pry school leaving certificate exam candidates for the past 20years will reveal a lot.we cant just look at the number of pple at the holy ghost service or the ODM anointing service at TBS and conclude that we are 200m. during babangida's regime the censor figures claimed that men were slightly more than women,but pple who work in maternity clinics disagree.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Sagamite(m): 8:09pm On Feb 18, 2013
manibuds:
some of us contest this claim that nigeria is 170m.naija is very primitive you say but how many pple within your circle dont have a gsm line?many may be poor and iliterate but they must eat and move around,getting info from pple in certain will expose the truth.data from bus parks,the number of pry school leaving certificate exam candidates for the past 20years will reveal a lot.we cant just look at the number of pple at the holy ghost service or the ODM anointing service at TBS and conclude that we are 200m. during babangida's regime the censor figures claimed that men were slightly more than women,but pple who work in maternity clinics disagree.

What is your point?
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 18, 2013
Sagamite:

What is your point?
Lmaoooo. Very apt answer.

Are u usually as shocked as I am at how uneducated most of these folk are even though they can read and write to a reasonably understandable extent?
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 18, 2013
Sagamite:

Before census day, before the restrictions, there is a great migration from Lagos. This affects the people counted.

If I was the governor of Lagos, in the next census, I would send a Lagos census team to accompany all national census officials across Lagos and record those counted. If your name is not on the list and you come/relocate to Lagos anytime for the next 5 years without evidence of working with some reliable organisation, studying or being hospitalised outside Lagos during the census, you would pay a higher tax rate than other people on the list that we have from the census and would (with your family) not be entitled to any free public services of the state as well, you will pay for them.

That would deal with those that leave Lagos to be counted in their villages and reduce the allocation entitlement of the state. What the state loses would be recouped from them.
END OF STORY!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Sagamite(m): 8:23pm On Feb 18, 2013
kingoflag: Lmaoooo. Very apt answer.

Are u usually as shocked as I am at how uneducated most of these folk are even though they can read and write to a reasonably understandable extent?

Lets give him a chance to defend himself. grin grin grin grin

I read it about 3 times and still could not figure out if he is saying the population figure is inflated or deflated. All I know is that he disputes the figure. grin
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by jmaine: 8:27pm On Feb 18, 2013
Sagamite:

I disagree.

I thought about that, but figured it was not possible.

Nigeria does not have the travel infrastructure to enable people live in Ogun State and travel to work in Lagos every day. There is hardly anyway to travel to the commercial hubs of Lagos in less than 1 hour daily. No existing way is even reliable enough to do it 5 dyas a week before 9am. Those living in Lagos itself, find it a struggle to get to work in less than 1 hour. They leave home before 6am to even have a chance.

Don't be too assertive bruv,a lot of people actually commute from Akute & Mowe(all in Ogun State) to their work places in Lagos on a daily basis . .

Though i believe the impact on the population statistical indices may not really be significant . . . .
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Sagamite(m): 8:33pm On Feb 18, 2013
jmaine:

Don't be too assertive bruv,a lot of people actually commute from Akute (Ogun) to their work places in Lagos on a daily basis . .

Though i believe the impact on the population statistical indices may not really be significant . . . .

Okay.

What side is that in Ogun State though? Never heard of the place.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by nitlad: 8:39pm On Feb 18, 2013
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by jmaine: 8:42pm On Feb 18, 2013
Sagamite:

Okay.

What side is that in Ogun State though? Never heard of the place.

One of those boundary communities very close to Lagos around Iju -Ishaga axis , while Mowe is close to the Redeemed Church Camp . . . . .Most of the inhabitants are over spilled Lagosians cheesy

No Space for Eko again grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Don’t Threaten Danjuma, ACF Warns Tompolo, Dokubo / Photos Of Dead Body After Bloody Pro-biafra Protest / Jonathan’s Kinsmen Lament Four-year Power Outage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.