Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion (99813 Views)

Converting Right Hand Drive Vehicles To Left: Any Issues? / Right Hand Drive To Left Hand Drive Conversion / Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Midas02(m): 9:26am On Mar 14, 2008
I am in the US and my interest in this topic is largely out of curiosity and engineering interest. I have done a lot of introspection and pondering about it and I have figured out a great deal of information. However there is nothing like hands on experience and since I have never actually converted any car, I wonder if Sienna (because I know he has done it before) or anyone with some experience could enlighten me about details I might be missing. So far, to do an excellent and professional job, I know the following:

1) The Dashboard will be removed and replaced with LHD dashboard
2) The Steering Rack assembly will have to be replaced with LHD one
3) The Wiring Harness behind the Dashboard could be saved and simply inverted (turned around), is that correct Sienna??
4) The Brake Master Cylinder will have to be repositioned and re-lined
5) The Pedal assembly will be removed and repositioned
6) Door panels and door mounted Electric Controls (depends on car) will be replaced with LHD door panels and controls (cars with electric control in the center console won't have this problem)
7) Wiper motor and mechanism must be repositioned or replaced (I suppose this depends on particular design)
8 ) Engine and transmission have to be removed to allow access to firewall and accessories. Firewall is the wall between the passenger compartment and the engine bay, right under the windshield
9) All secondary accessories located on the firewall such as Blower motor, Heater core,  AC duct, wires and cables will have to be re-positioned.
10 ) If car is automatic, then gear selector may have to be replaced with one facing the right direction or entire floor console may have to be replaced to allow emergency brakes and Gear selector indicators to be properly positioned (but this varies with each car’s design peculiarities)

I noticed that the firewall in European made cars were made asymmetrical and the fitting holes for all accessories were pre-stamped and could simply be punched out when moving steering to the other side. This suggests to me that European car's firewalls are made in a generic manner anticipating either LHD use or RHD use. However in Japanese cars, the firewalls are specifically designed and dedicated to only one type – either RHD or LHD. This reality makes Japanese cars much more difficult to convert since the only way to do a professional job is to remove the entire RHD firewall and replace it with a LHD firewall. I may be wrong and maybe there is someone out there that has done it differently. It is possible and even likely that there are other things I have missed or gotten wrong, I will like someone with experience to feel free throwing some insight into this subject.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by obua: 11:49am On Mar 14, 2008
I do not have practical experience in conversion from RHD to LHD but I have done some reading on it.

4) The Brake Master Cylinder will have to be repositioned and re-lined ( depends on the link between the brake pedal and brake master cylinder
6) Door panels and door mounted Electric Controls (depends on car) will be replaced with LHD door panels and controls (cars with electric control in the center console won't have this problem) This is not so neccessary in view of the added cost
7) Wiper motor and mechanism must be repositioned or replaced (I suppose this depends on particular design) Not so neccessary
8 ) Engine and transmission have to be removed to allow access to firewall and accessories. Firewall is the wall between the passenger compartment and the engine bay, right under the windshield.
Not so critical
9) All secondary accessories located on the firewall such as Blower motor, Heater core, AC duct, wires and cables will have to be re-positioned.
This depends on how the dashboard alligns with the consoles below
10 ) If car is automatic, then gear selector may have to be replaced with one facing the right direction or entire floor console may have to be replaced to allow emergency brakes and Gear selector indicators to be properly positioned (but this varies with each car’s design peculiarities)
Not so critical
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Midas02(m): 1:29am On Mar 17, 2008
Obua,

I know that in Naija there are ways around some of this things but I am only interested in doing a professional and excellent job!
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Midas02(m): 5:16pm On Mar 17, 2008
Here is a picture of two 94 Honda Civic engine bays. The first one is an American Spec with LHD and the second one is a JDM (japanese domestic spec) with RHD. If you notice, the main differences in the layout of the bay are the location of components on the firewall such as Battery, Brake Master Cylinder, master fuse box etc. You may also notice the different positioning of the wipers.

Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 19, 2008
Midas, will get in touch tomorrow, just off to work.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 3:57am On May 26, 2008
hi there guys,Im in the UK and our cars are RHD as you know so Im very much into what this thread is al about, I have not done this before but have paid for i to be don to my 1992 Merc 300E in Nigeria, I have same interest as you mere Engineering curiosity, so guys get in contact,
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by tradelord: 11:03am On Sep 23, 2008
Hello folks,
I am looking to convert a BMW 525i se from RHD to LHD, This vehicle is now in Lagos,
Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in lagos to do the job for me at a good price
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Nobody: 11:48am On Sep 23, 2008
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by alash: 12:32pm On Nov 24, 2008
please i would like to know if anybody would assist me on converting a RHD to LHD, i would like some detail of excellent mechanics who can do the job. if you have had a dealing with the i would really appreciate it.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by cassytoons: 4:26pm On Nov 24, 2008
just converted a car , i brought frum the UK . One cos its cheaper and then for curiosity sake
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by alash: 6:09pm On Nov 24, 2008
please could you give me their details and contact so i can talk to them. i have work for them
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by cassytoons: 4:47pm On Nov 25, 2008
Okay, the guy has his workshop around my house, dont have his number at the moment but can always get it. d only issue is dat i work during the week & might not be able to track him down until weekend. my own number is 08033559740. i can even take u to his workshop.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Dagbolu: 10:23pm On Mar 15, 2009
I would like to convert a C200 Mercedes Benz 1999 model from RHD to LHD. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic please. Someone said to me to take it to Ladipo, in Lagos. Another said take it to Trinity bus stop at Tincan-Island. Please help.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 8:48am On Mar 17, 2009
Dagbolu:

I would like to convert a C200 Mercedes Benz 1999 model from RHD to LHD. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic please. Someone said to me to take it to Ladipo, in Lagos. Another said take it to Trinity bus stop at Tincan-Island. Please help.
Take it to Ladipo AKA Promise land, thats where I had my VW passat done, they are good at what they do there, go there to inquire without the vehicle first and chose who to give it to for the Job, hope this helps.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Dagbolu: 3:39pm On Apr 03, 2009
Take it to Ladipo AKA Promise land, thats where I had my VW passat done, they are good at what they do there, go there to inquire without the vehicle first and chose who to give it to for the Job, hope this helps.

Thank you Erico2k2.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by mattsh182: 3:06pm On May 03, 2009
Is it expensive to get it converted?
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 12:31pm On May 06, 2009
mattsh182:

Is it expensive to get it converted?
depends on what you call expensive. its between =N=210 - =N250 thousand for cars i think.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Sikirulai(f): 4:57am On Jun 09, 2009
Hi all,

Just stumbled on to this discussion at the exact right time, I am enjoying the topic. Very interesting.
I am however curious to know if Dagbolu converted the C200 Mercedes Benz 1999 model to LHD! shocked
Please let me know if you are happy with the conversion as I have always thought it wasn't possible
to convert this particular car! Do let us know. 

Has anyone ever seen this car converted successfully? Do let me know as if it is possible I will take that route as well. undecided
Thanks
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by jaidobaba(m): 8:54am On Jul 18, 2009
I am also very ineterested in this topic, I have a honda accord Vtec year 2000 in lagos right now and i am finding it difficult getting it converted, So if you have any contact in ladipo or anywhere else in lagos, Please hook me up on my number 08035860198 or allaboutjd@yahoo.com
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by sonety2k(m): 9:06am On Jul 18, 2009
cool
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by ikeyman00(m): 1:56pm On Jul 18, 2009
jaidobaba

HMMM SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!!

just less than 2 wks ago, someone just found the dash for me in naija

my bro-in-law had his done in 2008

so what is it

money too much

or the availability of the expert

i might have to look around for some numbers
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by KennyG6(m): 4:29pm On Sep 20, 2009
hi all, nice thread would appreciate if a reliable garage can be recommended.

Thanks
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by gestapo(f): 4:33pm On Sep 20, 2009
Kenny_G:

Thanks

Look out for erico2k2 or ikeyman to come and give you the lowdown on the pros in LAdipo if you want it done in LAgos or Siena if you are based in the UK cool
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 10:04pm On Sep 20, 2009
Kenny_G:

Thanks
If your car is still in the UK,look or talk to seina, he is od at it, I did mine in 9ja cos I was able to buy arts from the US and ship em directly to 9ja so I only paid for labour cost =N=55K car in question VW passat1998 model,any info you want just ask away, I have converted two cars now and they are doing great.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by gestapo(f): 11:19pm On Sep 20, 2009
erico2k2:

If your car is still in the UK,look or talk to seina, he is od at it, I did mine in 9ja cos I was able to buy arts from the US and ship em directly to 9ja so I only paid for labour cost =N=55K car in question VW passat1998 model,any info you want just ask away, I have converted two cars now and they are doing great.

Hope my 20% recommendation fee was included in that N55k total angry Abi you think say I just dey drop ya name for free tongue grin
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by KennyG6(m): 11:57pm On Sep 20, 2009
thanks guyz, lady, just one more query, who/what is siena? yes the cars are still in UK
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by KennyG6(m): 11:57pm On Sep 20, 2009
thanks guyz, lady, just one more query, who/what is siena? yes the cars are still in UK
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by ikeyman00(m): 7:19am On Sep 21, 2009
^^^^i would advice to go and get it done in nigeria

cool
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by KennyG6(m): 8:59am On Sep 21, 2009
ikeyman00:

^^^^i would advice to go and get it done in nigeria

cool
ill probably do that, thnx
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 1:06pm On Sep 21, 2009
Kenny_G:

Well Siena is a uy on the forum who lives in solfulk, he does what you might call love-vendor my ride, he also does car conversion RHD to LHD, he specializs in European cars ie VWs and Audis

@ gestapo
lol I aint the one that charged the fees lol that was howmuch I was charged to convert mine, oh btw, your location says either germany or Netherland if so why you no supply us parts ie Dashboards,Steering rack, Dash brackets, Pedel Boxes and Door cards? eh,these are things needed for convertion and are relatively cheap there abi you no like Money eh?
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by sanya404(m): 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2009
Insert Quote
PEUGEOT 406 COUPE FOR SALE: NOT REGISTERED
2001, V6 engine, BLUE, Electric Windows, Driver and passenger Airbag, JBL Speakers, Memory Seat, Streering Adjustment
PETROL
Manual Gear Transmition, Immobiliser, VERY CLEAN, Pinniferrari Style
Mileage is 120455
it is RHD, but can be converted for 180k
INTEROR BLACK LEATHER, FACTORY AIRCONDITION, It has 210bhp ( Very fast car)
TEL:08075030948, 07055325563
ALL I WANT IS 1.6million nothin less, Am only selling becus am buyin another car so anyone offering less than my price. Please do not contact me.
THANK YOU
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 11:31am On Oct 03, 2009
@sanya404
from your Post, I can sayor deduce you have never sold a car in 9ja b4, man try and do mkt survey and know the true cost o cars in 9ja oh,Im sure the coupe RHD dont cost up to 4K pounds in the Uk,just my advice sha, half ur price.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SUV Made By Innoson Motors (Pictures) / In 2040, You May Drive A Car That Looks Like This (Photos) / Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.