Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,278 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites (9904 Views)

Cost Of Developing An Application Like Youtube In Nigeria / Best Operating System For Programming! / How Long Does It Take To Develop An Operating System From Scratchevr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 1:45pm On Feb 23, 2013
2buff: One last piece of advice that will save you a few unneccessary lessons....tone down the arrogance.
Arrogance in general is counter-productive, but arrogance while still in a state of mediocrity is the beginning of apt destruction.
Please kindly point me to the arrogance in my responses. Was Microsoft been arrogant for initiating something that is totally new from the likes of DOS/CLI operated Sinclair ZX-81, Amstrad and Atari etc. In Nigeria trying to be a beginner like the Wright Brothers of aviation is asking for condemnation.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by hamsky: 1:59pm On Feb 23, 2013
I'm currently doing my second (IT related) degree in Newcastle University so that should tell you that I'm not coming here to blab. Your idea is doable but mate it would take a very long time cos you lack the skill and sincerely speaking programming gets quite complex and complicated most especially if you're dealing with different programming languages. I guess you'd be surprised if I tell you that android and mac OS were both built on the linux kernel (i.e The Linux kernel is the operating system kernel used by the Linux family of Unix-like operating systems (Confusing is'nt it? Yes it gets that confusing)). This was simply done to avoid complexity because building a new OS from sratch is just not worth the effort (I'm still not saying that your idea is not worth it). My advice to you would be to bring people on-board to make life much easier for yourself (Remember no man is an island of his own) and consider creating something that is built on the Linux kernel (other examples of OS's that were built on this platform are Fedora and Ubuntu). You can do what ever you want with the graphical user interface (GUI) to make your OS stand out but the core advantages of using this platform is that it is open source and it has a massive community that are always ready to help in case you come across any problems. Good Luck!
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by jimtosam: 2:01pm On Feb 23, 2013
First of all, OS is always a team work cos this involve thousands line of code, sometimes millions. Let me give u a strategy. Find ur way to a company that has developed free Operating System like CentOS, Fedora and co. U can get access to OpenSource software code edit it to suit ur purpose. Please, start learning UNIX. Microsoft is stingy with codes even though they released part of their code for Educational purposes but it's not really helping.

While working there, start forming your team and sharing ur dream with like minds. You can do this man. But, remember don't put money first. Let freedom be ur watchword. You want to free people from a secondclass OS.

Lastly, don't be scared about your present state of knowledge. It takes a determined man to get things done. Do you think Bill Gate writes all the codes? Do you think late Steve Jobs was d best programmer? The best programmers are in the lab, they are just team leaders. They thought of concept, gather a team and work it out. But, the concept man takes the Glory. Please, I'm not saying these guys are not brilliant.Team work, Team work, Team work................U will need a little management skills.

Watch this video about OS revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw8K460vx1c
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by gbigbega: 2:31pm On Feb 23, 2013
Richfella:

The EXPERTS Again!

-"You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it. You must learn to see the world anew." ---------- Albert Einstein.

- "When the Paris Exhibition closes electric light will close with it and no more be heard of." ---------------- Erasmus Wilson (1878) Professor at Oxford University.

- "Men might as well project a voyage to the Moon as attempt to employ steam navigation against the stormy North Atlantic Ocean". -------- Dr. Dionysus Lardner (1793-1859), Professor of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy at University College, London.

- "Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value". ------------- Editorial in the Boston Post (1865)

- "That the automobile has practically reached the limit of its development is suggested by the fact that during the past year no improvements of a radical nature have been introduced". ------------ Scientific American, Jan. 2, 1909.

- "There is not the slightest indication that [nuclear energy] will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." -------------- Albert Einstein (himself grin), 1932.

- "...any one who expects a source of power from the transformation of these atoms is talking moonshine..." --------------- Ernest Rutherford

- "That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." ------------ Admiral William Leahy. [Advice to President Truman, when asked his opinion of the atomic bomb project.]

- "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." ----------- Lord Kelvin (1824-1907), ca. 1895, British mathematician and physicist.

- "Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." ------------------ Marshal Ferdinand Foch, French military strategist, 1911.

- "It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow." --------------- Robert Goddard.

you see, mistakes people like you make is that you speak from an ill-informed perspective. I am not talking about not being able to build an operation system. Guess what it has been built before and it will most definitely be built again, i mean better ones, with greater ideas. I am talking about the amount of time, money, energy, hours effort it takes. you can quote all you want but if you have no idea what it takes you cannot achieve it. If you fail to plan you plan to fail.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by AbrantieGH(m): 3:09pm On Feb 23, 2013
OP, could you please tell us a bit about your professional background? I mean, to be able to write your OS you'd need to understand theories of Operating Systems design. All those are (or have been) part of Computer Science curriculums at universities. Designing any software requires more than coding. You'd need to first design all its functional processes on paper, using diagrams and pseudocode to represent the various modules of your OS.

A lot of OSes have been written between 1970 and today but only a few have been adopted by the masses and ended up being successful. Do some online research. You might want to play around with a few opensource OSes as well.

You can do it, but you'd need additional skills that can only come with formall education, self education or genius.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Javanian: 3:14pm On Feb 23, 2013
@ all the Programmers here, why are you guys never in the programming section??... undecided
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 3:51pm On Feb 23, 2013
Femsyn: From ur tone of language and approach. It seems u have it all figured out and quite proud, to say d least. Like someone rightly pointed out, u're probably still a baby programmer, judging by most of ur non-techy assertions. Listen and learn!!

Guy didn't you read the part where I said I regard myself a n000b.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by justthinking: 3:56pm On Feb 23, 2013
ghostofsparta: I have been honing this idea which has been lingering in my mind for years now. It borders within a concept of a type of OS entirely different from the conventional ones. I'm now self-convinced that it may even give Microsoft's Windows a run for it dominance. Infact it's so beyond both conventional 'styled' and the super-futuristic ones in movies like Iron Man and rebooted Total Recall. It's far from what everyone is used to,from the likes of Wintel to the Linux based ones. But the issue I am having is I can't discuss my 'novel trove' with even my programming pals without divulging the main core concept in the hopes of getting some hints/advice on how to go about it. So since I'm left with the option of having to venture into programming myself, I have done my assignment here and there where I figured the basic differences between C, C++ and C# and why C is the most needed to learn for OSdev. I also learned that one shouldn't go into programming having OSdev in mind rather one should learn the languages "In and Out" first of all before thinking of coding 'garri' oriented apps much less of an operating system. I'll have to regard myself a n000b, hence using this thread to solicit ideas, guides and encouraging opinions on how to go about developing an operating system from scratch to perfection. I created this page as a forward to another page where game developers and programmers were being compared, I am aware it's not an easy task to do, some responders may say something like "dude, you need to ask yourself what purpose does your OS cater for" while some folks may say "stick to libraries". All I am asking as a n00b is what are the conditions prior to plunging into developing a totally bootable OS, hardware and software wise.

Thanks
it great trying to create an OS. it better for you to learn lot about C language before you can even start because for your OS to work, you av to know how to create your driver wich will interact wit youu hardware e.g mouse keyboard e.t.c and also how your GUI will be not to talk about developing the necessary protocol to support different service like networking SMB e.t.c. i tink u shuld try to download a linux OS full source and try to see if u can understand the code and also be able to modify some libraries or source code to your suit without causing trouble. after that u can start thinking about creating urs from scratch. but last time i check Na almost 1000 person they create OS
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 4:01pm On Feb 23, 2013
Javanian: @ all the Programmers here, why are you guys never in the programming section??... undecided

Maybe they will now given this thread making the front page were they mostly lurk, I'm glad and grateful.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by justthinking: 4:11pm On Feb 23, 2013
ghostofsparta:
Why should I beat that? Am I suppose to be intimidated with the 80million code lines everyone is discouraging me with, you just typify those Nigerians who believes since it took the United States 200 years to attain a perfect quasi democracy, therefore Nigeria must tread through such long years. For your information, there are certain missiles like the Iron Dome and certain TomaHawks whose sophistication is beyond 200 million self-generating ultra-AI oriented code lines.

Who doesn't know?

@bolded^^^: Only useful piece out of everything you wrote

Tell me, is Bill Gates or Kevin Mitnick a mathematician? ofcourse who doesn't know one needs to employ certain levels of arithmetic to represent a problem in programming. And remember when I said it still depends.

No, what about it? I'm sure it won't be different from the rest of the pack in terms of its GUI
kelvin mitnic is a hacker and not an OS developer. and secondly bill gate created a Dos OS with paul alen for ibm computer. am not sure u will pay a kobo of ur money to buy such OS. the OS of our generation are more sophisticated than that. i strongly advice to take advice or less u wuld av wasted alot of time trying to create OS that u might not end up completing.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by justthinking: 4:11pm On Feb 23, 2013
ghostofsparta:
Why should I beat that? Am I suppose to be intimidated with the 80million code lines everyone is discouraging me with, you just typify those Nigerians who believes since it took the United States 200 years to attain a perfect quasi democracy, therefore Nigeria must tread through such long years. For your information, there are certain missiles like the Iron Dome and certain TomaHawks whose sophistication is beyond 200 million self-generating ultra-AI oriented code lines.

Who doesn't know?

@bolded^^^: Only useful piece out of everything you wrote

Tell me, is Bill Gates or Kevin Mitnick a mathematician? ofcourse who doesn't know one needs to employ certain levels of arithmetic to represent a problem in programming. And remember when I said it still depends.

No, what about it? I'm sure it won't be different from the rest of the pack in terms of its GUI
kelvin mitnic is a hacker and not an OS developer. and secondly bill gate created a Dos OS with paul alen for ibm computer. am not sure u will pay a kobo of ur money to buy such OS. the OS of our generation are more sophisticated than that. i strongly advice to take advice or less u wuld av wasted alot of time trying to create OS that u might not end up completing.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 4:26pm On Feb 23, 2013
just_thinking: kelvin mitnic is a hacker and not an OS developer. and secondly bill gate created a Dos OS with paul alen for ibm computer. am not sure u will pay a kobo of ur money to buy such OS. the OS of our generation are more sophisticated than that. i strongly advice to take advice or less u wuld av wasted alot of time trying to create OS that u might not end up completing.

Who doesn't know he started MSDOS, stop your hostility and tell us something I don't know like an hint.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Javanian: 4:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
ghostofsparta:

Who doesn't know he started MSDOS, tell me something I don't know and stop your attack.

You really need to work on your attitude....
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 23, 2013
ghostofsparta:
Please kindly point me to the arrogance in my responses. Was Microsoft been arrogant for initiating something that is totally new from the likes of DOS/CLI operated Sinclair ZX-81, Amstrad and Atari etc. In Nigeria trying to be a beginner like the Wright Brothers of aviation is asking for condemnation.

ghostofsparta:

Who doesn't know he started MSDOS, tell me something I don't know and stop your attack.

undecided undecided undecided
Sincerely speaking kid, by the measure of your character, you are not worth helping.
You will soon find out as you move on in life that acquiring all the skill in the world without character, destroys many a dream.
The people who are meant to help you, you WILL push away with that pointless attitude, and you will be left all alone.
No one gets to where they need to be in life "all by themselves".
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 4:46pm On Feb 23, 2013
Javanian:

You really need to work on your attitude....
I do that everyday
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 5:09pm On Feb 23, 2013
2buff:
undecided undecided undecided
Sincerely speaking kid, by the measure of your character, you are not worth helping.
You will soon find out as you move on in life that acquiring all the skill in the world without character, destroys many a dream. The people who are meant to help you, you WILL push away with that pointless attitude, and you will be left all alone. No one gets to where they need to be in life "all by themselves".

My obviously misjudged attitude style here doesn't necessarily define how I behave off-cyberspace. I was once lambasted by an over-religious friend-turned-religionist over a book I was reading titled: "The Devil's Triangle" which is about the chronicled events of the Bermuda phenomenon, she thoughts I was prepping for occultic stuffs because I suppose what flashed to her mind was the triangle used in occult pentagram, she eventually felt stupid when she read the preface. I guess that's why they say 'one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover'.

Secondly, which law or whose theory dictates that No one gets to where they need want to be in life all by themselves...How does one know where one need to be?
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by BloggingIq: 5:18pm On Feb 23, 2013
@op, I must say this is interesting.
what I see is that you are on the right frame of mind,

a real game changer will be a OS with holographic display,
now thats what the world needs
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 23, 2013
ghostofsparta:

My obviously misjudged attitude style here doesn't necessarily define how I behave off-cyberspace. I was once lambasted by an over-religious friend-turned-religionist over a book I was reading titled: "The Devil's Triangle" which is about the Bermuda phenomenon, she thoughts I was prepping for occultic stuffs because I suppose what flashed to her mind was the triangle used in occult pentagram, she eventually felt stupid when she read the preface. I guess that's why they say 'one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover'.

Secondly, whose theory is it that No one gets to where they need want to be in life "all by themselves...How does one know where one need to be?

It matters not what book or cover you intend to portray. People have better things to do with their lives and time than to spend it catering to or trying to understand a seemingly pompous person (You wouldn't care much for this person if you met them either). The world isn't centered on you and frankly it has matters bigger than your person. The onus is on you to give a better impression of yourself to others so they can be helpful.

As to how does one know where they need to be in life ? They typically don't, which is why you have to work on your attitude lest you simply end up burning bridges you never knew you were meant to use. All these people, you speak of never got where they got to without others.

You will soon find that, in any matter as relating to business, relationship is often much more important than the product itself.

That said, all the best in bringing your ideas to fruition. smiley
Try googling and buying books on OS concepts. Reason is, software is wildly dependent on hardware.
So any OS with a different "root" from what already exists would require hardware different from what already exists, which equals obscene amounts of money.
to that end, I would still advice you take a look at linux. You don't seem to be getting the explanation of how the linux shell is seperated from presentation layer.
This comes from a lack of a foundation in OS/kernel concepts. so try read up on that stuff.

Cheers.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 5:36pm On Feb 23, 2013
2buff:

It matters not what book or cover you intend to portray. People have better things to do with their lives and time than to spend it catering to or trying to understand a seemingly pompous person (You wouldn't care much for this person if you met them either). The world isn't centered on you and frankly it has matters bigger than your person. The onus is on you to give a better impression of yourself to others.

As to how does one know where they need to be in life ? They typically don't, which is why you have to work on your attitude lest you simply end up burning bridges you never knew you were meant to use. All these people, you speak of never got where they got to without others.

You will soon find that, in any matter as relating to business, relationship is often much more important than the product itself.

That said, all the best in bringing your ideas to fruition. smiley
Try googling and buying books on OS concepts. Reason is, software is wildly dependent on hardware.
So any OS with a different "root" from what already exists would require hardware different from what already exists, which equals obscene amounts of money.
to that end, I would still advice you take a look at linux. You don't seem to be getting the explanation of how the linux shell is seperated from presentation layer.
This comes from a lack of a foundation in OS/kernel concepts. so try read up on that stuff.

Cheers friend.

2buffoon please stop derailing this thread.....I beg of you
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 5:38pm On Feb 23, 2013
BloggingIq: @op, I must say this is interesting.
what I see is that you are on the right frame of mind,

a real game changer will be a OS with holographic display,
now thats what the world needs

Sure, what I have in mind is 10% closer but doesn't project holographically.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 23, 2013
@ ghostofsparta.....I encourage you to pursue your dreams.. between I might be interested as a potential investor and even a co-programmer if your idea is truly revolutionary and can make money. Are you currently in Nigeria??
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by AbrantieGH(m): 6:01pm On Feb 23, 2013
just_thinking: kelvin mitnic is a hacker and not an OS developer. and secondly bill gate created a Dos OS with paul alen for ibm computer. am not sure u will pay a kobo of ur money to buy such OS. the OS of our generation are more sophisticated than that. i strongly advice to take advice or less u wuld av wasted alot of time trying to create OS that u might not end up completing.
Microsoft did not create MS-DOS. Bill gates bought an OS called CP/M-80 from a company called Seattle Computer Products for $50,000 and changed the name.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 6:17pm On Feb 23, 2013
Abrantie GH: Microsoft did not create MS-DOS. Bill gates bought an OS called CP/M-80 from a company called Seattle Computer Products for $50,000 and changed the name.
Jeez, what a revelation! does it mean he never did any coding to it, at least to modify it? Nevertheless, I still think he's a smartie. I will do my finding.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by AbrantieGH(m): 6:29pm On Feb 23, 2013
ghostofsparta:
Jeez, what a revelation! does it mean he never did any coding to it, at least to modify it? Nevertheless, I still think he's a smartie. I will do my finding.
Microsoft didn't make any major changes prior to licensing to IBM.

Actually it was IBM who approached Microsoft for an OS to power their PCs.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Javanian: 6:33pm On Feb 23, 2013
ghostofsparta:

2buffoon please stop derailing this thread.....I beg of you

why the insults??
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by success9(m): 7:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
@ghostofsparta. Ur idea is doable...and i love it. I hope u can weather d storm ahead. I sent u a mail. Do reply cos i think i av a step by step process of how it can b done and accepted worldwide.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Nobody: 7:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
I think you need to know some C and machine language...
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by cyrexx: 7:09pm On Feb 23, 2013
ghostofsparta:

If you can watch this movie "Pirates of the Silicon Valley" you will get more insight on Bill Gates story and windows and Steve Jobs and apple. It's their biography made into a movie.

That was the first time I realised that bill Gates bought the os from someone else, repackaged it and negotiated it profitably with IBM.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 7:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
Javanian:
why the insults??
Why express partiality over insult?

success_07: @ghostofsparta. Ur idea is doable...and i love it. I hope u can weather d storm ahead. I sent u a mail. Do reply cos i think i av a step by step process of how it can b done and accepted worldwide.
I see no email
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by success9(m): 7:50pm On Feb 23, 2013
i searched for ur email on nl but nl made it in an automated process. Send me ur email and i will resend it
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by WhiZTiM(m): 8:09pm On Feb 23, 2013
I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS THREAD KEENLY.... And seriously its been epic!! And would still be following it. This drama is gona be cool!

Cause the actors are,
*An OP who is bent on writing an OS.
*An audience who go berserk in discouraging him without even taking time to hear ALL THE IDEAS THAT IS ON HIS MIND...
*the Gurus, Smarties, Programmers, blah blahh blahhhs who just try to point out impossiblities.
*the people that are very much objective to the idea
*the people who cannot explain the technical nits and grits of a simple hello world program... And yet have contributions to make regarding an OS!!... *impressive.
*the people who can't write a VERY BASIC device driver or compiler...
*the people that would surely exchange blows verbally :-) .
*the spectators...
*....add your own...!!

....reading this thread relaxes my brains! Keep it rolling.

By the way I am VERY SURE that, UNIX based and DOS based OS wouldn't be the only types of INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH OS's in the next 30years.!
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ciphoenix: 8:10pm On Feb 23, 2013
Javanian: @ all the Programmers here, why are you guys never in the programming section??... undecided
cos there's no coffee lounge tongue tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Trivia Coding Questions (euler Project) / Gov Ambode Has Plans For One Million Lucky Lagosians / Create A Nested Lists Of Categories In Laravel 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.