Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,544 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam (658 Views)

Soyinka Blasts Buhari Over Herdsmen Killings / PDP Faults Fashola's Criticism Of Good Governance Tour / Good Governance Tour Ill-conceived – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam by Clerverly: 9:11am On Feb 23, 2013
Noble Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, has described the “Good Governance Tour” the Minister of Information Labaran Maku is leading around the country as a big scam.

Speaking in Benin on Friday, Mr. Soyinka commended the Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole, for refusing to acede to a request by Mr. Maku to fund the team’s visit to Edo State.

“I am happy that Oshiomhole told the leader of the Good Governance Tour, Labaran Maku, to go to hell. It is a big scam,” Mr. Soyinka said in response to a question from journalists who sought his views on the tour.

The Nobel Laureate fielded questions from journalists at the Edo State Press Centre after visiting the Benin Moat, a major tourist attraction in the Edo State capital.

Governor Oshiomhole had on Tuesday revealed that he had rejected a multi-million naira proposal by Mr. Maku asking him to bankroll the so-called “Good Governance Tour”.

Speaking at a seminar on tax laws in the state on Benin, Mr. Oshiomhole said he was not prepared to waste the state’s limited resources on an unnecessary project conceived and promoted by the federal government.

“It is not proper to use Edo State tax payers’ money to finance a Federal Government programme,” the governor said. “If they pay me a courtesy visit, I will receive them, but I don’t have a dime to spend on them because I do not need them to come to tell Edo people how I built roads and schools. My achievement speaks for me.”

He said Mr. Maku’s team had sent in a proposal requesting him to provide accommodation, feeding and logistics for over 120 delegates when they visit the state next week. He said he opposed the proposal when it was tabled for discussion at a Governors’ Forum meeting sometime ago.

“Whenever Edo State government officials travel to Abuja for official duties, the state takes responsibility and not the Federal Government,” Mr. Oshiomhole said.

However, the Delta State Governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan, denounced Mr. Oshiomhole a day later, saying the controversial exercise received the backing of all 36 state governors.

“I confirm and reaffirm that we all (governors) collectively agreed to this programme,” Mr. Uduaghan said.

Mr. Maku has been travelling with a delegation of officials, journalists and civil groups to states purportedly to highlight projects achieved by the federal and state governments.

The delegation has covered more than 15 states, and the tour, dismissed by critics as a jamboree, is continuing.
Re: Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam by GARRIx7(m): 9:14am On Feb 23, 2013
Everyone knows it's a useless Jamboree!!

Thanks Prof. for speaking the truth....
Re: Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam by StarFist(m): 10:22am On Feb 23, 2013
Nice one Adams! Hope others will learn ur ways
Re: Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam by takedat(m): 10:24am On Feb 23, 2013
Let Maku and his lackeys keep drowning in their own manufactured hogwash, while trying to justify their self accessed effectiveness! Oshiomhole's performance and good governance earned him his second term, Maku can continue to cheer the ballot robbers! GGT is a scam!
Re: Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam by Olugbenger(m): 10:29am On Feb 23, 2013
thrash....
This good governance tour should av been done on GEJ!
Re: Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam by GARRIx7(m): 10:58am On Feb 23, 2013
take dat: Let Maku and his lackeys keep drowning in their own manufactured hogwash, while trying to justify their self accessed effectiveness! Oshiomhole's performance and good governance earned him his second term, Maku can continue to cheer the ballot robbers! GGT is a scam!

Spot On!!
Re: Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam by taharqa: 1:24pm On Feb 23, 2013
I was watching this 'Good Governance' Tour yterday on National TV, and saw d membas of the team take a ride on a train in d NEW Standard Guage Ajaokuta-Aladja-Warri Rail line... Yes! GEJ has completed the 1st Standard Guage Rail line in the history of Nigeria... Any one who is still 'HATING' can go kill himself now cos MOREeeee are coming soon- two new Riverports at Baro and Lokoja wud soon be completed in weeks or months (ie 2 of d 4 Ports been built simultaneously along the Dredged River Niger- again for the 1st time in Nigeria's history)... Only a mata of time y'all.
Re: Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam by GAR3TH(m): 1:43pm On Feb 23, 2013
taharqa: Yes! GEJ has completed the 1st Standard Guage Rail line in the history of Nigeria
I not a fan of Nigerian Politics and this is one of the main reasons. People over hype someone when things go well and give them too much blame when things go bad. Construction of the warri rail line started in 1991 and stretches over 300 kilometers. in 2010 GEJ complete the last few Kilometers of the rail line but yet you give him all the credit? And you disregard the other 20 years of hard work from other individuals? talk about over hyping, its not just you, PDP & ACN APC fanboys are guilty of it too.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam by eggheaders(m): 1:47pm On Feb 23, 2013
only devil and his associate will not condemn the waste this present administration is lengendary for.we dont need a noble laureate to tell us the GGT is a waste and uncalled for.only those a55 suckers that has sold their soul to the devil will defend it with all their adrenaline. maku is a known thief too loads of brown envelopes will surely exchange hands.
Re: Soyinka Blasts Maku, Says “good Governance Tour” A Big Scam by taharqa: 2:06pm On Feb 23, 2013
GAR3TH:
I not a fan of Nigerian Politics and this is one of the main reasons. People over hype someone when things go well and give them too much blame when things go bad. Construction of the warri rail line started in 1991 and stretches over 300 kilometers. in 2010 GEJ complete the last few Kilometers of the rail line but yet you give him all the credit? And you disregard the other 20 years of hard work from other individuals? talk about over hyping, its not just you, PDP & ACN APC fanboys are guilty of it too.
I knew dat, my frnd. I know the history of dat line, and hv even discussd it a No of times here.. And I didn't 'give GEJ All the credit'; I actuali usd d word 'COMPLETED'. I know it startd in d early '90s and have bn abandond many times by successive admins. GEJ, following Yar'adua from late 2009/2010, completed the Agbor-Warri part, rehabilitatd some portions of the previously completd parts, is building 5 Railway terminals, is putting the Navigational and Signal System in place, expanded the scope of the track from only taking cargo to also bn able to take passengers, etc. Yes, the credit should go to all the Presidents bw Babangida and GEJ. GEJ admittedly wud be speciali credited for completing it of course, seeing the culture of abandond projects in Nigeria. There are a lot of such 'completions' and 'resuscitations' going on NOW at a pace not seen in a long time in many sectors (railways, Inland waterways, Airports, Roads, etc), dont you think?

(1) (Reply)

Alamieyeseigha Plans To Run For President In 2019 - Elrufai / Another Video Emerges: We Suspect This Man Of molestation – Do You Know Him? / Gory Pictures On Facebook/tweeter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.