Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,619 members, 7,827,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 (5373 Views)

FG To Setup National Emergency Response System / Fayose Releases His Phone Number To Ekiti People / Senator Ndume Gave AGF's Number To Boko Haram – SSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by searchcorp(m): 1:33am On Feb 24, 2013
“As president, I would ask the Police to get a national emergency number, say 419 like the Americans use 911. It won’t be various numbers for various police stations. I saw some very long un-memorisable numbers on the website of the Nigerian police. How on earth do they expect anyone to know such numbers? The first thing most robbers do now is to take your phone from you so you won’t be able to call. How does the Nigerian police expect a traumatised robbery victim, whose phone has been taken from him, to remember a 10-digit emergency number? It’s rather ridiculous. I mean, we could instead have 419 – which is the most popular police code in Nigeria. If you are robbed, and your phone is taken, you can get to a call centre and just dial 419." by Temitope Oyetomi Author of the book 'Fellow Nigerians, I wish you Goodluck'

5 Likes

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by KnowAll(m): 1:45am On Feb 24, 2013
419 is d most important 3 digits number Nigeria as a nation has given d world. U can google it. So making it a distress call number in Naija makes a lotta sense.

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by searchcorp(m): 2:08am On Feb 24, 2013
KnowAll: 419 is d most important 3 digits number Nigeria as a nation has given d world. U can google it. So making it a distress call number in Naija makes a lotta sense.

thanks alot, if this is the only comment i get on this post, then thats enough for me.

Infact, i think should go to bed now sef....

2 Likes

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Dibiachukwu: 9:20am On Feb 24, 2013
I agree. Nigerian emergency number should be 419.

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Nobody: 9:34am On Feb 24, 2013
I agree too, a person with bullet stuck in his head can always remember to dial that number!

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by YorubaOmoge: 9:37am On Feb 24, 2013
Smh
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by HypernoxiaKwach: 9:42am On Feb 24, 2013
419 lol, very creative.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by omoredia: 11:23am On Feb 24, 2013
Tonto almost made it to sing on this track but couldn't! http:///3ik1n38zymbk .its a hit!
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Heatblast(m): 11:24am On Feb 24, 2013
Brilliant idea... It could also be used to change people's view about the number 419 *claps for your idea*

2 Likes

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by yuzedo: 11:25am On Feb 24, 2013
searchcorp:

thanks alot, if this is the only comment i get on this post, then thats enough for me.

grin grin grin

ƪoƪ! I agree. Giving 419 a good connotation is not a bad idea. tongue

Rebrand 419 grin wink

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by ofiladee(m): 11:26am On Feb 24, 2013
Not bad 419 as an emergency number...
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by martyns303(m): 11:26am On Feb 24, 2013
Oprah " they are so proud of it they make a song of it" referring to Olu Mentain and Kelly Handsome, now we want to make it a nationalize thing? You can imagine how Wikipedia will have to put it, " the Nigerian emergency number was derived from its popular Internet scam phrase"

5 Likes

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:27am On Feb 24, 2013
No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by dokunbam(m): 11:27am On Feb 24, 2013
lol everyone can easily remember that, even kids
its ok sha
but op as the president of what? 419ers?
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by 190: 11:27am On Feb 24, 2013
Giving that number 2d police in Nigeria
Would indeed get the world and the white people more confused
Cos then they get 2wonder what's up with the thinkin faculty of Nigerians
And their addiction to- 419
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by iamswizz(m): 11:32am On Feb 24, 2013
hahahahahahahahahahaha
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by FlyboyZee: 11:35am On Feb 24, 2013
Great Idea.
Good thinking! Good product.

Yiou ish kin ya yi! Yiou ish kan ga yi. (In Japanese accent)

3 Likes

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by lordZOUGA(m): 11:36am On Feb 24, 2013
in some cases, someone in shock cannot dial 3 different digits on a keypad. it should be 3 digits of same number like "333"
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by manny4life(m): 11:37am On Feb 24, 2013
I think its a god idea... 419

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by RedLight1: 11:43am On Feb 24, 2013
lordZOUGA: in some cases, someone in shock cannot dial 3 different digits on a keypad. it should be 3 digits of same number like "333"
What abt 911 or 112?
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by ManTiger(m): 11:44am On Feb 24, 2013
martyns303: Oprah " they are so proud of it they make a song of it" referring to Olu Mentain and Kelly Handsome, now we want to make it a nationalize thing? You can imagine how Wikipedia will have to put it, " the Nigerian emergency number was derived from its popular Internet scam phrase"
+1000000 Likes.
I don't know how some writer thinks, probably they fail to see beyond their nose.
419 is the word associated to internet scams, no thanks to some foolish Nigerians and some politicians.
This is a number known world-wide and how on earth will that meaning changes if the number is adopted for police emergency?
It sounds so foolish and the world will make further fun of us.

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by alphaconde(m): 11:45am On Feb 24, 2013
I tried d number and it rang A 419 picked I ges
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by lordZOUGA(m): 11:54am On Feb 24, 2013
Red-Light:
What abt 911 or 112?
well, its easy to accidentally type any 3 digit of the same number. thats why they changed just one number and left the others as it ia.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Nobody: 12:15pm On Feb 24, 2013
searchcorp:

grin Very funny. Some of us almost plead for front page but you got it with your humility. As for your idea, i say HECK YES. If only the PDP robots on NL would pass the idea to GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by mcevans1(m): 12:15pm On Feb 24, 2013
Beware of 419 and fraudulent in-laws. ! This Land is not for sale.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 24, 2013
martyns303: Oprah " they are so proud of it they make a song of it" referring to Olu Mentain and Kelly Handsome, now we want to make it a nationalize thing? You can imagine how Wikipedia will have to put it, " the Nigerian emergency number was derived from its popular Internet scam phrase"

Don't spend too much time worrying about what the white man thinks of you. The gesture is to make positive out of negative and if GEJ is really able to transform the police structure, then knowing that dialing 419 can save your life is astonishing.

3 Likes

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Revolva(m): 12:21pm On Feb 24, 2013
419 na wa oo ol boy OP you wan cast naija finish abi...u wiked oo
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by ReLaTE(m): 12:22pm On Feb 24, 2013
lordZOUGA: well, its easy to accidentally type any 3 digit of the same number. thats why they changed just one number and left the others as it ia.
true talk,i hv on numerous occasions mistakenly dialled 5555,44444,22222 etc most of the time am unaware of it wen my phone keypad is unlocked.

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by searchcorp(m): 12:22pm On Feb 24, 2013
toothpaste:

grin Very funny. Some of us almost plead for front page but you got it with your humility. As for your idea, i say HECK YES. If only the PDP robots on NL would pass the idea to GEJ.

Thanks man, what can i say. a friend of mine (Oyetomi Temitope - An author) suggested it jokingly on facebook and i decided to bring it on nairaland, i sincerely wasnt expecting to make frontpage, but then i have been dancing alingo since morning.

419 it is, lets rebrand those digits, who knows our children's children may one day see the bravery in it.

3 Likes

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by morewealth(m): 1:34pm On Feb 24, 2013
Its a very good idea and a way of rebranding the Nigerian image and the number 419. I think is high time we got an emergency police number instead of those numerous private lines we see on the internet and police stations.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Konnektions146(m): 2:01pm On Feb 24, 2013
funny enough thats de extension number for the security in my work place.

ita not a bad idea though.....at least easily memorized and if it can be made uniforn so wen in distress,yur call hits the nearest police station, would be nice.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 24, 2013
cogitoErgo: I agree too, a person with bullet stuck in his head can always remember to dial that number!
Great Idea!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Governorship Aspirant Sues Ekiti Over Damage Of Billboard / Doyin Okupe Challenged APC Supporters With 250k / Facebook User Calls Out Afikpo Chick 'maria Ude Nwachi',terms Her Pro Prostitute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.