Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? (20738 Views)

Bible Says That Yahweh (jehovah) Is Devil / The Bible Says There Is No Such Person Named Abraham Hagar And Sarah / The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by FXKing2012(m): 11:44am On Feb 24, 2013
It is common in most churches to call their pastors or priests "father" despite Jesus expressly instructing us not to call anybody father because God is our only Father.

Matt. 23:9 - "And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, who is in heaven."

I believe Jesus was referring to spiritual father in that Bible verse which is what most Christians call their General Overseers and pastors.

So then, why do we as Christians call our pastors "father"? Is that not disobedience to the Word of Jesus Christ?
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by FXKing2012(m): 11:50am On Feb 24, 2013
To get a better underdtanding of the passage it should be read in context, so here is it from verse one:

Matt 23:
1 Then spoke Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not according to their works: for they say, and do not.

4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

5 But all their works they do to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

6 And love the uppermost places at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

8 But you be not called Rabbi: for one is your Teacher, even Christ; and all you are brothers.

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, who is in heaven.

10 Neither be you called masters: for one is your Teacher, even Christ.
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by FXKing2012(m): 7:36am On Mar 12, 2013
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by rezzy: 8:54am On Mar 12, 2013
It is daddy not father
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Mar 12, 2013
Many so called Nigerian Christians are not. They simply practice Judaism, hence calling their Pharisee leaders father /daddy /papa etc. Infact some of their Pharisee leaders so much love the praise of their prey that they refer to themselves as high priest, hence rejecting the high priesthood of Christ and the priesthood of all believers.
Let's hope the children of the kingdom will come out of the Babylonian church which is skilled in the nicolatian principle.

2 Likes

Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by FXKing2012(m): 5:00pm On Mar 12, 2013
rezzy: It is daddy not father
pls what's the difference?

1 Like

Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 12, 2013
[size=15pt]1 Corinthians 4:15
New International Version (NIV)

15 Even if you had ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 12, 2013
◄ 1 Corinthians 4:15 ►
New International Version (©2011)
Even if you had ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. Can you argue with Paul the Apostle?
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Mar 12, 2013
[size=13pt]]Acts 7:2
King James Version (KJV)

2 And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran,[/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Goshen360(m): 5:44pm On Mar 12, 2013
So you people cannot make out anything good out of the words of Christ and other scriptures? Are you guys saying scriptures contradict? This is how you people go about wrongly dividing the word. You guys better pick up bible concordance and understand each context. People are reading y'all on the Internet o.
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 12, 2013
Galatians 4:19 My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you,
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 12, 2013
Goshen360: So you people cannot make out anything good out of the words of Christ and other scriptures? Are you guys saying scriptures contradict? This is how you people go about wrongly dividing the word. You guys better pick up bible concordance and understand each context. People are reading y'all on the Internet o.

Why don't you explain it to us... we are all learning...the op should have brought all these scriptures out before going on this jamboree..
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Goshen360(m): 5:55pm On Mar 12, 2013
^ ^ ^ You have tithe for me?....if explained grin Make una put una bible minds together.....scriptures don't contradict each other unless one cannot interpret correctly. cool
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 12, 2013
Goshen360: ^ ^ ^ You have tithe for me?....if explained grin Make una put una bible minds together.....scriptures don't contradict each other unless one cannot interpret correctly. cool
Greed! what happens to being your bro..keeper..i know scriptures don't contradict..we wan make the op sweat small.
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Goshen360(m): 6:09pm On Mar 12, 2013
Bidam: Greed! what happens to being your bro..keeper..i know scriptures don't contradict..we wan make the op sweat small.

Okay, now you're talking. Na now you go agree with me because you already know what I'm gonna teach will favour you grin If na the other topic now, you go ready for me grin. Anyway, no call me greed but I know say na joke you dey joke sha but whenever you see me write something and I laugh (grin) at it, you should understand\know I was joking alongside.

I will follow up with a post later soon to explain. Love you bro.
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by ijawkid(m): 6:11pm On Mar 12, 2013
sylve11:

Daddy likes tithe, father doesn't. cool

Lmao.....grin...nairaland no go kill me with laugh oo....
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by ijawkid(m): 6:12pm On Mar 12, 2013
striktlymi: [size=15pt]1 Corinthians 4:15

15 Even if you had ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.[/size]

Did paul tell mean that the brothers should call him with the title FATHER??
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 12, 2013
ijawkid:

Read, meditate and the 'Spirit' will guide you on what Christ was trying to teach. Not everything is as it seems. smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Mar 12, 2013
ijawkid:

What if they honor him with the title father..is it a sin?
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Image123(m): 7:20pm On Mar 12, 2013
Why are you not praying right now when the Bible says we should pray without ceasing? When you answer that, i will answer your question.
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by ijawkid(m): 7:24pm On Mar 12, 2013
Bidam: What if they honor him with the title father..is it a sin?

Jesus says do not call them by the title Father.....that small instruction hard to obey??
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by ijawkid(m): 7:43pm On Mar 12, 2013
striktlymi:

Read, meditate and the 'Spirit' will guide you on what Christ was trying to teach. Not everything is as it seems. smiley

The holy spirit has told me not to run around sticking the title FATHER to a fellow brother in the Lord............

Some even call there clerics most holy FATHER....

1 Like

Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 12, 2013
ijawkid:

The holy spirit has told me not to run around sticking the title FATHER to a fellow brother in the Lord............

Some even call there clerics most holy FATHER....

I guess that 'spirit' is different from the one who inspired the following:

striktlymi: [size=13pt]]Acts 7:2
King James Version (KJV)

2 And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran,[/size]
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by ijawkid(m): 7:50pm On Mar 12, 2013
striktlymi:

I guess that 'spirit' is different from the one who inspired the following:

Isn't abraham the fore father of the Jews genealogically speaking??.........

Why should I call some random person PAPA all my life when I know we aint related biologically...........

Read those words of Jesus very well.......
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Mar 12, 2013
ijawkid:

Isn't abraham the fore father of the Jews genealogically speaking??.........

Why should I call some random person PAPA all my life when I know we aint related biologically...........

Read those words of Jesus very well.......

Well that is incorrect! Abraham was not given the title 'father' because of genealogy. The title was given to him because of his faith in God. I am not a Jew but Abraham is my father in faith, I don't know about you.

Romans 4

16 Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham’s offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who have the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all.

1 Like

Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by Goshen360(m): 8:14pm On Mar 12, 2013
ijawkid:

I'm centering on the religious context.......my biological father who begot me ofcus deserves that title in the bioligical sense.........I can keep calling my earthly dad Father till he dies......but spiritually speaking no human should be known with that title......we all are brothers.........I call any one I see brother..........scriptures says that.....

This translation might help you understand what Christ was saying better then,

New Living Translation (©2007)
And don't address anyone here on earth as 'Father,' for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father. - Matthew 23:9

Do you spot any difference from this translation? Jesus didn't differentiate between 'biological' and 'spiritual' father here - He simply said ANYONE or in other translations, he says ANY MAN. Our biological fathers fall into the category of ANYONE or ANY MAN. See, if you catch the difference from NLT translations or I will explain later.
Re: Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? by FXKing2012(m): 10:02pm On Mar 12, 2013
Goshen360:

This translation might help you understand what Christ was saying better then,

New Living Translation (©2007)
And don't address anyone here on earth as 'Father,' for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father. - Matthew 23:9

Do you spot any difference from this translation? Jesus didn't differentiate between 'biological' and 'spiritual' father here - He simply said ANYONE or in other translations, he says ANY MAN. Our biological fathers fall into the category of ANYONE or ANY MAN. See, if you catch the difference from NLT translations or I will explain later.

Jesus was obviously referring to spiritual father, not biological father because God is our spiritual Father. The people who call these pastors "father" use it in the spiritual sense which is what Jesus expressly and explicitly told us not to do..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is The Man Who Cannot Provide For His Family Really Worse Than An Infidel? / Pastor Ogoh Welcomes Twins In Owerri After 24 Years Of Marriage - Photo / Do You Believe What Will Be Will Be, Do You Believe In Destiny?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.