Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention (9090 Views)

Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application / Nnamdi Kanu's Sister Says DSS Men Are Trying To Kill Her Brother In Detention / Taraba Judgement Clear Miscarriage Of Justice – Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Redoil: 6:46am On Feb 26, 2013
The Lagos State Office of Public Defender on Friday summoned officials of the Kick Against Indiscipline of the state’s Ministry of the Environment that allegedly detained a pregnant woman, causing her to lose a six-month-old pregnancy.

This is just as the government said it would wait for the outcome of OPD’s investigations to react to the incident and make its position clear.

PUNCH Metro had reported last Thursday that Nkechi Omakagu lost her six-month-old pregnancy after being detained by KAI officials for violating the law which restricts movement during the compulsory environmental sanitation exercise on the last Saturdays of every month.

Omakagu, who said she was arrested while being rushed to Jolad Hospital, Gbagada, following complications related to her pregnancy, said she spent eight hours in KAI custody.

Our correspondent learnt that following a petition addressed to the state Attorney General’s Office, the OPD, a department under the Ministry of Justice, took up the case and all parties were invited.

A source, who was at the meeting, told our correspondent on the telephone that the KAI officials said they were not aware that Omakagu was pregnant and thought that she was pretending about her medical condition.

The source said, “When we met with OPD, the KAI officials, who had detained Nkechi (Omakagu), denied that she was pregnant and said even if she was, they did not know. The KAI men said they refused to let her go because whenever they arrested people on environmental sanitation day, there was always an excuse.”

It was learnt that due to KAI official’s claim, the OPD said it would be necessary for Omakagu to undergo a medical examination at a public hospital to determine if she was actually pregnant at the time she was arrested.

The source said, “She (Omakagu) had received treatment at a private hospital where she was also diagnosed with having premature contractions. It was also the hospital that evacuated the dead foetus from her womb. So what we were told was that for the sake of objectivity, a public hospital would need to carry out independent medical examination.

“It was said that based on the outcome of the medical examination at the public hospital, the government would be advised so it could determine the next line of action.”

The Director OPD, Omotola Rotimi, however, said she had not been briefed on the matter. But a senior employee at the agency confirmed the incident to our correspondent on the telephone.

She said, “We want to establish if the lady’s pregnancy loss was caused by KAI’s detention or something else. Also, we want our doctors at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital to give us their own report for the sake of objectivity.

“If it is established that the victim lost her pregnancy due to the detention, then the KAI officials will be prosecuted.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/probe-into-kais-detention-of-pregnant-woman-begins/
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Omexonomy: 7:00am On Feb 26, 2013
I think their was a tread that was opend sometime ago to list certain things pregnant women should be exempted from this lagos state police are fools i know that thier foot soldiers on nairaland(dogs) will come and defend and curse who ever disagree with their policy.

5 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Scarpon(m): 9:15am On Feb 26, 2013
this call for justice
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Regiblinkz(m): 9:19am On Feb 26, 2013
I think I need help cuz I'm now a nairaland addict...bad govt
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Kaxmytex(m): 9:20am On Feb 26, 2013
After diz,we no go hear anythin again..
Useless set of morons
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 26, 2013
Redoil: The Lagos State Office of Public Defender on Friday summoned officials of the Kick Against Indiscipline of the state’s Ministry of the Environment that allegedly detained a pregnant woman, causing her to lose a six-month-old pregnancy.

This is just as the government said it would wait for the outcome of OPD’s investigations to react to the incident and make its position clear.

PUNCH Metro had reported last Thursday that Nkechi Omakagu lost her six-month-old pregnancy after being detained by KAI officials for violating the law which restricts movement during the compulsory environmental sanitation exercise on the last Saturdays of every month.

Omakagu, who said she was arrested while being rushed to Jolad Hospital, Gbagada, following complications related to her pregnancy, said she spent eight hours in KAI custody.

Our correspondent learnt that following a petition addressed to the state Attorney General’s Office, the OPD, a department under the Ministry of Justice, took up the case and all parties were invited.

A source, who was at the meeting, told our correspondent on the telephone that the KAI officials said they were not aware that Omakagu was pregnant and thought that she was pretending about her medical condition.

The source said, “When we met with OPD, the KAI officials, who had detained Nkechi (Omakagu), denied that she was pregnant and said even if she was, they did not know. The KAI men said they refused to let her go because whenever they arrested people on environmental sanitation day, there was always an excuse.”

It was learnt that due to KAI official’s claim, the OPD said it would be necessary for Omakagu to undergo a medical examination at a public hospital to determine if she was actually pregnant at the time she was arrested.

The source said, “She (Omakagu) had received treatment at a private hospital where she was also diagnosed with having premature contractions. It was also the hospital that evacuated the dead foetus from her womb. So what we were told was that for the sake of objectivity, a public hospital would need to carry out independent medical examination.

“It was said that based on the outcome of the medical examination at the public hospital, the government would be advised so it could determine the next line of action.”

The Director OPD, Omotola Rotimi, however, said she had not been briefed on the matter. But a senior employee at the agency confirmed the incident to our correspondent on the telephone.

She said, “We want to establish if the lady’s pregnancy loss was caused by KAI’s detention or something else. Also, we want our doctors at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital to give us their own report for the sake of objectivity.

“If it is established that the victim lost her pregnancy due to the detention, then the KAI officials will be prosecuted.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/probe-into-kais-detention-of-pregnant-woman-begins/

This is what every responsible government should do;check the excesses of state agencies and sanctions wherever they are found culpable.

kudos to Lagos state government.
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by chucky234(m): 9:31am On Feb 26, 2013
What do expect from agberos in uniform parading as KAI,incompetent decisions of course.
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by hrmkz: 9:34am On Feb 26, 2013
when you engage people who do not understand and cannot interprete the law as law enforcement agent, the result is obvious.

3 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Sweetapple007(f): 9:39am On Feb 26, 2013
Is this justice or what.
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Symphony007: 9:48am On Feb 26, 2013
"they taught she was pretending about a pregnancy"? Amazing.....can you imagine the thugs, quacks and illetraits the lagos state government rears? If not for the idiocy personified by the nigerian judiciary this woman should be recieving a settlement with lot's of zero's in it and those officials sacked. Later they will say they want state police.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by ifyalways(f): 9:53am On Feb 26, 2013
Whatever good work the lagos state govt are doing would be marred by the agberos in uniform eg KAI, lastma and co. How can any sane being not notice a 6months pregnancy?!

I hope the OPD follows up on this case. Poor woman. Where was the husband when this happened btw?

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Nobody: 9:54am On Feb 26, 2013
The same reason why this country is a failed nation. illiterates everywhere while those that are qualified are denied the job based on ethnic and godfatherism issue.

There is no way an educated man/woman will be involved in such mess.

4 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Ejine(m): 9:56am On Feb 26, 2013
Omexonomy: I think their was a tread that was opend sometime ago to list certain things pregnant women should be exempted from this lagos state police are fools i know that thier foot soldiers on nairaland(dogs) will come and defend and curse who ever disagree with their policy.

It's a real pity, my broda sad
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by kutchs: 9:56am On Feb 26, 2013
~Bluetooth:

This is what every responsible government should do;check the excesses of state agencies and sanctions wherever they are found culpable.

kudos to Lagos state government.
Hypocrisy at its best, praising the govt for causing harm to a pregnant woman and causing the death of an unborn baby.
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by megareal: 9:56am On Feb 26, 2013
I.d!ots of the highest order. Shows just how less we value health and life. Wouldn't it have been their place to get the woman to the hospital first and verify later than this rubbish? And how do you hide a six month old pregnancy? Silly excuses, illiterate officers.

3 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Ejine(m): 9:57am On Feb 26, 2013
SimonAndal: I know I said in an earlier thread that I have no regrets in life, but that's not really true. My greatest regret is being born Nigerian.

Kosovo would've been a better option, shebi? grin
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by mrofficial2(m): 9:58am On Feb 26, 2013
hrmkz: when you engage people who do not understand and cannot interprete the law as law enforcement agent, the result is obvious.

Which kind person won do KAI job before if no be agbero? If marketers hurl bottles and stones for your head, na the next day you go quit the job.
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by mrofficial2(m): 9:58am On Feb 26, 2013
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by sucess001(m): 10:04am On Feb 26, 2013
SimonAndal: I know I said in an earlier thread that I have no regrets in life, but that's not really true. My greatest regret is being born Nigerian.

LMAO. choi! i luv this!
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 26, 2013
Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention (Mini Jail)
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by theripper: 10:31am On Feb 26, 2013
Add agberos to the list.

Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by dramendra: 10:34am On Feb 26, 2013
HmMmmmmmm the lagos state govt is failing oh, don't even talk of KAI they are animals, Jobless tout and illitrate. They must compesate the woman oh and those bastards who caused it shall be in hell fire In jesus name.
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by iBukas: 10:36am On Feb 26, 2013
The gov shull do somtin about this fast, all this fools KAI or what
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by dominique(f): 10:38am On Feb 26, 2013
My blood just dey boil as I read the article over and over again. why would a sane person be faking pregnancy for crying out loud? To galivant around town during restricted hours huh Now the damage is done they still want to investigate if she was pregnant in the first place and if she truely lost the pregnancy during her 8hour detention. Wtf?!!! How long is this madness going to continue in this country? We need to eradicate every aspect of so-called law enforcemenr in this country. They're really causing more harm than good.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by tayoccu(m): 10:39am On Feb 26, 2013
Discretion,
A quality our uniformed men lack.
A little discretion, on the path of the kai men and this unfortunate event would have been averted.
I hope they are duely punished.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Orikinla(m): 10:46am On Feb 26, 2013
ALL OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES ACTIVISTS WHO LIKE MAKING NOISE ON THE PAGES OF NEWSPAPERS AND ON RADIO AND TV CANNOT TAKE UP THE GROSS INJUSTICE AGAINST THIS WOMAN WHO SHOULD SUE THE KAI AUTHORITIES FOR UNLAWFUL DETENTION AND TRAUMA.
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Orikinla(m): 10:47am On Feb 26, 2013
dramendra: HmMmmmmmm the lagos state govt is failing oh, don't even talk of KAI they are animals, Jobless tout and illitrate. They must compesate the woman oh and those bastards who caused it shall be in hell fire In jesus name.

[size=28pt]THEY ARE AREA BOYS IN UNIFORM![/size]
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by prettyboi1(m): 10:55am On Feb 26, 2013
Probably because you just like a lot of Nigerians are mentally lazy. A lot of you guys want change,& yet you don't want to contribute. Always want to stay praying from morning till night without working or thinking of how to contribute to the country's growth & development.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by prettyboi1(m): 10:57am On Feb 26, 2013
dramendra: HmMmmmmmm the lagos state govt is failing oh, don't even talk of KAI they are animals, Jobless tout and illitrate. They must compesate the woman oh and those bastards who caused it shall be in hell fire In jesus name.
How is lagos state failing sir? Nigerians are grossly undisciplined & should be made to face the law when they beat or break it.
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by doctokwus: 10:58am On Feb 26, 2013
Wen u think u are rehabilitating area boys& girls by giving dem different shades of uniforms,dis is what u get.Just like corruption is d bane of nigeria,area boyism is d bane of lagos state bc dey permeate every strata of d state govt& av bn given free reign to continue d only thing dey can do.
Re: Pregnant Woman Suffers Miscarriage In KAI Detention by Omexonomy: 11:06am On Feb 26, 2013
pretty_boi:
How is lagos state failing sir? Nigerians are grossly undisciplined & should be made to face the law when they beat or break it.
in a sanner society pregnant women are exempted from certain rules e.g they can urinate on the toes of a serving governor or president and go free especially in country like england and usa that you people love to compare nigeria with.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Restructuring Not Our Priority For Now- APC / Buhari Writes Senate To Confirm Nine INEC State RECs / Ekweremadu Canvasses Six-Year Single Term For President, Governors Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.