Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards (19755 Views)

Ibe Kachikwu And Wife, Elizabeth, At Thisday Awards (pic) / Another Bomb Blast At ThisDay Office In Kaduna, 10 Killed / Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Dibiachukwu: 10:31am On Feb 27, 2013
naptu2: Leon H. Sullivan Summit VI in Abuja circa 2003.

That was the first time in my life that I saw someone get the order of precedence wrong.

Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and George W. Bush were present. The little girl (about 10 years old) on the traditional xylophone played "Arise O Compatriots" before the "Star Spangled Banner".

Of course, at other occasions during that visit the Brigade of Guards band played the anthems and they correctly played the american anthem first.

I may not like what happened at the awards in Ogun, but it is not illegal.
It is not illegal but an organiser of a state event should know better. Anyway undecided
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Policewoman(f): 10:32am On Feb 27, 2013
gramci: Protest As Obaigbena Fixes American Anthem Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards

The guests at the event refused for the American anthem to be sung before the Nigerian anthem.
There was a mild drama on Tuesday at the 18th Annual Thisday Awards held in Abeokuta,the Ogun State capital, as guests at the ceremony kicked against singing the American National Anthem before the Nigerian anthem.
Guests were already seated whenthe award organiser, Nduka Obaigbena, publisher of Thisday Newspapers ; and the Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun; ushered in Bill Clinton , former American President. After that, the Master of Ceremony announced that the American Anthem will be sung followed by the Nigerian anthem.
In swift response to the announcement, there was a spontaneous, and overwhelming resistance from the guests, who vehemently kicked against the arrangement, insisting that such arrangement was insulting to Nigeria and her citizens.
The guests, many who spoke to PREMIUM TIMES after the event, argued that in Nigeria, the country’s anthem should be sungfirst and that in America, one should expect the Americans anthem to take priority. They demanded a reversal of the arrangement.
A change was effected. The Nigeria national anthem was sung, followed by Ogun State anthem while the American anthem was eventually dropped.
The ceremony was in celebration of Nigeria’s best teachers and fifteen teachers were honoured at the event. It was organised by Mr. Obaigbena’s Thisday Newspapers and held in the OgunState capital.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/?p=122016
See wetin EYE SERVICE dey cause? If Obasanjo comes to a function in the U.S, will they sing the Nigerian Anthem or the Amercan anthem? Colonial mentality still dey worry us walahi.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Policewoman(f): 10:34am On Feb 27, 2013
Ngwakwe: South East States should learn from Ogun State by singing Biafra Anthem after Nigeria Anthem in any Official engagement.
Abi o!
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Nobody: 10:38am On Feb 27, 2013
THIS IS THE VERY HEIGHT OF MADNESS. I KNOW NIGERIANS NOT 2 GIVE A HOOT ABOUT THEIR COUNTRY EXCEPT DURING FOOTBALL MATCHES BUT THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS. ITS NOT AS IF THE AMERICANS CARE ABOUT US OR WILL CHANGE THEIR ATTITUDE TOWARDS US BUT THEN IM JUST 1 OPINION OUT OF SOME 170 MILLION PEOPLE. GOD HELP US.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by naptu2: 10:42am On Feb 27, 2013
And yes, I've seen an event that was held in the US, in which the Nigerian anthem was played first.

Circa 1992 when Nnamdi Azikiwe was honoured by Lincoln University
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by sammyj: 10:44am On Feb 27, 2013
justokey: But that is against protocol. Nigeria's anthem should always be sung last when we play host. Check football events!

My Brother, is this event a football event or award ceremony. Don't compare because it is not a football event that involves two countries playing a football match. Clinton did not even come to represent America in the first place, so singing or playing the US anthem is wrong in this case. FULL STOP

1 Like

Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by lordkrato(m): 10:48am On Feb 27, 2013
ULSHERLAN: Goodmove by the Ogun state people and the people of Nigeria. Its high time we start taking our stand. Long Live Nigeria

DID you READ the Post DamNNN...
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by dandollaz: 10:51am On Feb 27, 2013
Ngwakwe: South East States should learn from Ogun State by singing Biafra Anthem after Nigeria Anthem in any Official engagement.
.Gbam you are 100% correct
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by poshpimkiey(f): 10:52am On Feb 27, 2013
It's not lyk it was Obama dat came o. Twas d former presido n some scrawny ass nigurs want to sing an anthem dat dey don't even know. Or were dey doing it alphabetically? Y did he come sef. If jackie appiah had come would dey have sung Ghana's anthem?
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by ken43: 11:01am On Feb 27, 2013
Afam4eva: Some Nigerians can just do stup1d things. This is a good move by the Ogun people. I'm sure if it was held in Abuja, the guests would have allowed it slide. Whoever even came up with the idea of singing the American anthem before the Nigerian anthem deserves to be shot. Why should the American anthem even be sung in the first place. Was it a bilateral gathering or a football match nvolving both countries? Were they trying to please Bill Clinton? In his mind he must have even thought it as a bad idea and those that came up with it as morons. Where in the world is a country's National anthem relegated to the background in favour of a foreign one. Tufiakwa.
I se a lot of insulting words ‎u used here and I'm glad when my ban end in a few minutes time I will also be able τ̲̅ȍ use such words without fear of a ban.Tanks Afam for opening the way for me with such words cos they work well here.D moderator is always right.

1 Like

Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by SORTER: 11:06am On Feb 27, 2013
WHAT'S UR POINT EXACTLY MR. EFFIKO..?
lord krato:

DID you READ the Post DamNNN...
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 27, 2013
naptu2: I wonder if I should post the full article and I wonder iif the antispam bot will ban me if I post it.

naptu2: I wonder if I should post the full article and I wonder iif the antispam bot will ban me if I post it.

Thanks you my brother!

I really don't understand why most Nigerians run their mouths without checking their facts. I am sure Clinton will be laughing at the imbeciles who think they were fighting for a right that does not exit. Really it was people like you that brought me to Nairaland but over the years what I see here now a times makes me think that Seun should conduct an aptitude test before someone could open an account. The kind of comment and reaction I see on this forum these days is disgraceful.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by ken43: 11:07am On Feb 27, 2013
Unpatrotic nigerians I will say though.45 mins and counting.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by adebiyikayode5: 11:20am On Feb 27, 2013
Julieccentric:

You have a point but I still think its pointless singing the US anthem..Who are we trying to please in the 1st place?
that guy no get point at all becos no be official matter carry am come
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by yettak90: 11:20am On Feb 27, 2013

As stated before, this is just a small list of the various codes regarding anthem etiquette around the world. General rules should follow the above, as they seem to be universal. In addition, some other helpful guidelines are:

When multiple anthems are to be performed (such as honouring a visiting dignitary or sporting team from another country), the host nation's anthem is usually performed last.

In Western countries, men are generally required to remove their hat during the playing of the anthem, but ladies generally are not. (This is due to the centuries-old notion that a woman's hat is part of her outfit, while a man's is an accessory to it.)
It is not absolutely necessary to sing along to the anthem (especially if you don't know the words, although most anthem lyrics are on this site!)
Any national anthem, whether of your own or of another nation, should be treated equally (that is, one should stand up for both, be silent for both, and both should be treated with respect), regardless of your personal feelings toward the other nation. As stated on the main page of this website, learning about national anthems is a way to learn about other cultures and people, learning about others gives us respect for others, treating another's anthem the same as you would treat your own demonstrates that respect.

Source: (http://www.nationalanthems.info/faq.html)

Nigerians tolerate the things they're supposed to get offended by, but they get riled up over silly issues.

2 Likes

Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by buchibabe: 11:24am On Feb 27, 2013
undecidedNaija and eye service. Shioooor!
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by informatix: 11:25am On Feb 27, 2013
gramci: Obaigbena should be tried for treason
In Russia,China,NorthKorea,US.,singapore or Iran. Obaigbena would have been sentenced to 1week in prison.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by jadakiss213(m): 11:29am On Feb 27, 2013
naptu2: And yes, I've seen an event that was held in the US, in which the Nigerian anthem was played first.

Circa 1992 when Nnamdi Azikiwe was honoured by Lincoln University
Big Fat lie!
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by yettak90: 11:34am On Feb 27, 2013
Julieccentric:

You have a point but I still think its pointless singing the US anthem..Who are we trying to please in the 1st place?

Bill Clinton (like all former US presidents) is an American dignitary and [s]he attended the event in an official capacity[/s] I've just realised that this was a private event even if the Gov. was there. State Event or not however, it's proper etiquette to perform the anthem of any foreign dignitaries present, if you're going to bother playing your own country's anthem.

That's how it's done everywhere.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by obailala(m): 11:36am On Feb 27, 2013
cecegorz:
Yeah.
And the game was between Clinton American team vs Naija Obaigbena FC huh?
You make me wonder if my SIMPLE sentence was too COMPLEX for you to comprehend. In my statement, I said 'IF the 2 anthems must be sung' and this simply implies that IF it was a football match, then it's actually right to play the American anthem first.

Nigerians like making a big show over the wrong issues. The basis of this argument should rather be WHY SHOULD THE AMERICAN ANTHEM BE PLAYED AT ALL? and not why it should be played before the Nigerian anthem. Just like someone mentioned here "Nigerians tolerate the things they're supposed to get offended by, but they get riled up over silly issues"
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by emmasege: 11:43am On Feb 27, 2013
who even asked that America's anthem be first sung, in the first instance?. National orientation Agency needs to work on the guy and the likes of him in Nigeria
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by econome(m): 11:44am On Feb 27, 2013
Rejecting what's wrong 'instantly' can move this country forward.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by touchmeder: 11:47am On Feb 27, 2013
Someone here has made the point that IF this were to have been a football match or something else requiring the 2 anthems to be sung, then the organizers ACTUALLY did the correct thing. Now if the American anthem should have being attempted in the first place is another issue entirely but it seems very few (Naptu and others)have spoken the truth here on what protocol truly demands. Omo if you dont know learn now...
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by obailala(m): 11:51am On Feb 27, 2013
econome: Rejecting what's wrong 'instantly' can move this country forward.

And if I may ask you, what is the 'wrong' in this case?
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by taharqa: 11:53am On Feb 27, 2013
naptu2: Those guests got it wrong. The Nigerian anthem is always played last (because it's the most important). I posted this on another thread:

You got the protocol right regarding state flags, but you got it wrong with regards to anthems.

Regarding state flags, the law states: -

Furthermore, when flown on an official vehicle, the national flag must be flown at the right side of the vehicle, while any other flag that is flown must be flown at the left side of the vehicle.

With regards to anthems, protocol demands that the national anthem must always be played 2nd or last, as the case may be. That's why, if you notice, during football matches, the visiting team's anthem is played first before the home team's anthem is played.

Similarly, during state visits, the visiting head of state's anthem must be played before the Nigerian anthem.
http://nigerianobservernews.com/07102011/features/features1.html

This is similar to the order of arrival and salute at state functions. Protocol demands that the President must be the last dignitary to arrive the venue.

For example, this is the order of arrival/salute during independence day and armed forces remembrance day celebrations.

Military rule.

1) Service Chiefs - Receive the General Salute.

2) Minister of Defence/Chief of Defence Staff/Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff - Receives the National Salute (first stanza of the National Anthem).

3) Chief Justice of Nigeria - Receives the General Salute.

4) Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters/Chief of General Staff - Receives the General Salute.

5) Head of State/President/Commander in Chief - Receives the National Salute (full anthem).

Civilian rule.

1) Service Chiefs: Receive the General Salute.

2) Chief of Defence Staff: Receives the General Salute.

3) Minister of Defence: Receives the General Salute.

4) Chief Justice of Nigeria: Receives the General Salute.

5) Speaker, House of Representatives: Receives the General Salute.

6) Senate President: Receives the General Salute.

7) Vice President: Receives the National Salute (first stanza of the National Anthem).

8 ) President & Commander in Chief - Receives the National Salute (full anthem).

Below, flag of the Commander in Chief of The Armed Forces of The Federal Republic of Nigeria (which must always be flown to the left, while the National Flag is at the right). It is an offence for anybody, except the Commander in Chief, to fly this flag.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/887871_Armed20Forces20Commander20in20Chief20Flag_pngf0d6698c0e1326f0ad32feedea6d2965
There is a reason why I bliv u are among the very few mature and enlightend posters on NL, who do not get carried away by d RANTS one usuali sees here. Thank you....... My only disagreements with what happend is that d American Anthem ought not to hv bn playd at all in dis instance..
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by vislabraye(m): 11:57am On Feb 27, 2013
Should the US anthem be sung in the first place at all
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by SIRKOL(m): 12:08pm On Feb 27, 2013
Mistakenly try singing 9ja anthem b4 American anthem i d U.S n u will wrath in jail!......God bless Ogun ppl( proudly 9ja)
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 27, 2013
woodcook:

Thanks you my brother!

I really don't understand why most Nigerians run their mouths without checking their facts. I am sure Clinton will be laughing at the imbeciles who think they were fighting for a right that does not exit. Really it was people like you that brought me to Nairaland but over the years what I see here now a times makes me think that Seun should conduct an aptitude test before someone could open an account. The kind of comment and reaction I see on this forum these days is disgraceful.
Before you pass judgement, why dont you understand the purpose of the event in the first place? The event was to honour outstanding Nigerians-teachers-who have done Nigeria proud while working in NIGERIA and note, that event took place in NIGERIA. So in such circumstance, why do you expect the American Anthem to be sung? Is that not unpatriotism and hypocrisy? undecided
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Godmann(m): 12:15pm On Feb 27, 2013
You guys are missing the point here.

What happened was not an accident. it is a clear of of where the interest of Thisday, its owner and the WHOLE stupid ELITES that rule us lie.

Are you people surprised to learn that majority of your Ministers are recommended by the Americans? Are you suprised that even Your Presidents hold the country on-behalf of the Western Neo-colonial masters?

Until we do away with those impostors, Nigeria will never work. Our Independence is a farce.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Dreal1247: 12:16pm On Feb 27, 2013
naptu2: Those guests got it wrong. The Nigerian anthem is always played last (because it's the most important). I posted this on another thread:

You got the protocol right regarding state flags, but you got it wrong with regards to anthems.

Regarding state flags, the law states: -

Furthermore, when flown on an official vehicle, the national flag must be flown at the right side of the vehicle, while any other flag that is flown must be flown at the left side of the vehicle.

With regards to anthems, protocol demands that the national anthem must always be played 2nd or last, as the case may be. That's why, if you notice, during football matches, the visiting team's anthem is played first before the home team's anthem is played.

Similarly, during state visits, the visiting head of state's anthem must be played before the Nigerian anthem.
http://nigerianobservernews.com/07102011/features/features1.html

This is similar to the order of arrival and salute at state functions. Protocol demands that the President must be the last dignitary to arrive the venue.

For example, this is the order of arrival/salute during independence day and armed forces remembrance day celebrations.

Military rule.

1) Service Chiefs - Receive the General Salute.

2) Minister of Defence/Chief of Defence Staff/Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff - Receives the National Salute (first stanza of the National Anthem).

3) Chief Justice of Nigeria - Receives the General Salute.

4) Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters/Chief of General Staff - Receives the General Salute.

5) Head of State/President/Commander in Chief - Receives the National Salute (full anthem).

Civilian rule.

1) Service Chiefs: Receive the General Salute.

2) Chief of Defence Staff: Receives the General Salute.

3) Minister of Defence: Receives the General Salute.

4) Chief Justice of Nigeria: Receives the General Salute.

5) Speaker, House of Representatives: Receives the General Salute.

6) Senate President: Receives the General Salute.

7) Vice President: Receives the National Salute (first stanza of the National Anthem).

8 ) President & Commander in Chief - Receives the National Salute (full anthem).

Below, flag of the Commander in Chief of The Armed Forces of The Federal Republic of Nigeria (which must always be flown to the left, while the National Flag is at the right). It is an offence for anybody, except the Commander in Chief, to fly this flag.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/887871_Armed20Forces20Commander20in20Chief20Flag_pngf0d6698c0e1326f0ad32feedea6d2965
Gbam.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by IFY124(f): 12:21pm On Feb 27, 2013
That's good. No matter what, Nigeria is still ours and we should at anytime, anywhere uphold her dignity
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by gramci: 12:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
So for every oyibo that attends our party, we sing his country anthem

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Covid Vaccine Dey Cure Hunger?" - Melaye Mocks FG / Imaan Sulaiman-Ibrahim To Become First Female Police Affairs Minister / $3M Subsidy Bribe: Lawan Weeps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.