Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards (19756 Views)

Ibe Kachikwu And Wife, Elizabeth, At Thisday Awards (pic) / Another Bomb Blast At ThisDay Office In Kaduna, 10 Killed / Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Tee13(f): 12:30pm On Feb 27, 2013
Anthem or no anthem, our people like giving the whites so much honour and that is why they keep looking down on us.

1 Like

Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by CY09: 12:34pm On Feb 27, 2013
@Naptu, that was very insightful. You made me log into NL after a long period of reading as a guest.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by ElCaballa(m): 12:47pm On Feb 27, 2013
naptu2: Those guests got it wrong. The Nigerian anthem is always played last (because it's the most important). I posted this on another thread:

You got the protocol right regarding state flags, but you got it wrong with regards to anthems.

Regarding state flags, the law states: -

Furthermore, when flown on an official vehicle, the national flag must be flown at the right side of the vehicle, while any other flag that is flown must be flown at the left side of the vehicle.

With regards to anthems, protocol demands that the national anthem must always be played 2nd or last, as the case may be. That's why, if you notice, during football matches, the visiting team's anthem is played first before the home team's anthem is played.

Similarly, during state visits, the visiting head of state's anthem must be played before the Nigerian anthem.
http://nigerianobservernews.com/07102011/features/features1.html

This is similar to the order of arrival and salute at state functions. Protocol demands that the President must be the last dignitary to arrive the venue.

For example, this is the order of arrival/salute during independence day and armed forces remembrance day celebrations.

Military rule.

1) Service Chiefs - Receive the General Salute.

2) Minister of Defence/Chief of Defence Staff/Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff - Receives the National Salute (first stanza of the National Anthem).

3) Chief Justice of Nigeria - Receives the General Salute.

4) Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters/Chief of General Staff - Receives the General Salute.

5) Head of State/President/Commander in Chief - Receives the National Salute (full anthem).

Civilian rule.

1) Service Chiefs: Receive the General Salute.

2) Chief of Defence Staff: Receives the General Salute.

3) Minister of Defence: Receives the General Salute.

4) Chief Justice of Nigeria: Receives the General Salute.

5) Speaker, House of Representatives: Receives the General Salute.

6) Senate President: Receives the General Salute.

7) Vice President: Receives the National Salute (first stanza of the National Anthem).

8 ) President & Commander in Chief - Receives the National Salute (full anthem).

Below, flag of the Commander in Chief of The Armed Forces of The Federal Republic of Nigeria (which must always be flown to the left, while the National Flag is at the right). It is an offence for anybody, except the Commander in Chief, to fly this flag.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/887871_Armed20Forces20Commander20in20Chief20Flag_pngf0d6698c0e1326f0ad32feedea6d2965

pls prof.,is Bill Clinton on a state function?
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by madridsta007(m): 12:51pm On Feb 27, 2013
Ngwakwe: South East States should learn from Ogun State by singing Biafra Anthem after Nigeria Anthem in any Official engagement.

grin grin grin
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by ElCaballa(m): 12:53pm On Feb 27, 2013
Tomorrow when Bance visits nigeria,those fools will sing Burkina Anthem before ours.baboons
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by naptu2: 1:08pm On Feb 27, 2013
El Caballa:

pls prof.,is Bill Clinton on a state function?

Ah! You even made my job easy for me. I was going to ask you if the event was an official state function (hope you know the difference between an official state function and a private event).
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Sweetcollins: 1:19pm On Feb 27, 2013
...Its high time we start taking our stand.

It is high time we STARTED taking our stand[color=#990000][/color]
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by oparahchi(m): 1:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
JudismphD: Imperialism. The Americans(clinton inclusive) will never bother if u recognise them or nt bcus its obvious they are ahead why bilittle ourself as a nonetity.
You are talking nonsense. Please no matter the state of your nation, it should always come first before any in situations like these. And you say you want change. That change starts with the right mentality.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by oparahchi(m): 1:49pm On Feb 27, 2013
naptu2: Those guests got it wrong. The Nigerian anthem is always played last (because it's the most important). I posted this on another thread:

You got the protocol right regarding state flags, but you got it wrong with regards to anthems.

Regarding state flags, the law states: -

Furthermore, when flown on an official vehicle, the national flag must be flown at the right side of the vehicle, while any other flag that is flown must be flown at the left side of the vehicle.

With regards to anthems, protocol demands that the national anthem must always be played 2nd or last, as the case may be. That's why, if you notice, during football matches, the visiting team's anthem is played first before the home team's anthem is played.

Similarly, during state visits, the visiting head of state's anthem must be played before the Nigerian anthem.
http://nigerianobservernews.com/07102011/features/features1.html

This is similar to the order of arrival and salute at state functions. Protocol demands that the President must be the last dignitary to arrive the venue.

For example, this is the order of arrival/salute during independence day and armed forces remembrance day celebrations.

Military rule.

1) Service Chiefs - Receive the General Salute.

2) Minister of Defence/Chief of Defence Staff/Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff - Receives the National Salute (first stanza of the National Anthem).

3) Chief Justice of Nigeria - Receives the General Salute.

4) Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters/Chief of General Staff - Receives the General Salute.

5) Head of State/President/Commander in Chief - Receives the National Salute (full anthem).

Civilian rule.

1) Service Chiefs: Receive the General Salute.

2) Chief of Defence Staff: Receives the General Salute.

3) Minister of Defence: Receives the General Salute.

4) Chief Justice of Nigeria: Receives the General Salute.

5) Speaker, House of Representatives: Receives the General Salute.

6) Senate President: Receives the General Salute.

7) Vice President: Receives the National Salute (first stanza of the National Anthem).

8 ) President & Commander in Chief - Receives the National Salute (full anthem).

Below, flag of the Commander in Chief of The Armed Forces of The Federal Republic of Nigeria (which must always be flown to the left, while the National Flag is at the right). It is an offence for anybody, except the Commander in Chief, to fly this flag.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/887871_Armed20Forces20Commander20in20Chief20Flag_pngf0d6698c0e1326f0ad32feedea6d2965
Insightful.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by mabcos: 1:51pm On Feb 27, 2013
JudismphD: Imperialism. The Americans(clinton inclusive) will never bother if u recognise them or nt bcus its obvious they are ahead why bilittle ourself as a nonetity.
its not in everything dat de r ahead. B wise. De have their own problems. There's hereafter again. De r not ahead of us.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by aalex1: 1:53pm On Feb 27, 2013
If U̶̲̥̅̊ hav a visitor in ur mist,it is simple etiquette dat if singing the national anthem is required,then that of the visitor is sung first,a common example is football.although in dis case,bill was more on a personal tin not state function,so jst d nigerian anthem shld take precedence.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by abbeylanre007: 2:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
:oAnd when last has d united state sang 9ja Anthem??
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by antomik: 2:07pm On Feb 27, 2013
Indeed it was obvious that Bill was on a personal visit therefore it will be an anathema to sing the American anthem before the Nigerian anthem. Obviously they were trying to please Clinton who himself wasn't expecting it. Let's just be ourselves for once. If we were i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Americas position would they have sang our anthem?
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Originalsly: 2:20pm On Feb 27, 2013
obailala: If the 2 anthems must be sung, is the proper thing not to sing the anthem of the host country last? Isnt it how its done in football games?
At football games the visiting team is officially representing that country.If your state sends private invitations to the same players then they would not be representing their country officially and their Anthem must not be played period.Bill Clinton was not officially representing the US. He was there as a private citizen period.The US Anthem should never be played period. Were all the organisers that dumb?
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by ZACHIE: 2:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
Q: If both the U.S. national anthem and the national anthem of a foreign country were being played at an event (in the United States), which one would be played first?

A: Traditionally, as a courtesy, the foreign anthem is played first.

http://www.state.gov/s/cpr/what/c18027.htm
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Nobody: 2:30pm On Feb 27, 2013
koastar:
Before you pass judgement, why dont you understand the purpose of the event in the first place? The event was to honour outstanding Nigerians-teachers-who have done Nigeria proud while working in NIGERIA and note, that event took place in NIGERIA. So in such circumstance, why do you expect the American Anthem to be sung? Is that not unpatriotism and hypocrisy? undecided

My stand was not if American Anthem was to be sung or not but in a situation where it has to be in our country then normal protocol should be followed. Please read the comments above mine and you sure would see people talking from their behind, which was the reason I said what I said.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Christo724(m): 2:57pm On Feb 27, 2013
Bravo! To d well meaning Nigerians who opposed the organiser(s) for wanting to make Nigeria a dumping ground.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by jasmine21(f): 3:22pm On Feb 27, 2013
koastar: Why should American athem be sung in the first place in an even meanrt to honour Nigerian teachers in Nigeria? Ah! ah!! Just because a white man is present the organiser wants to please him by singing his country's anthem..smh...How many times was Nigerian anthem sung when Obasanjo was invited for events in America as a former president? Over to you supporters of the organisers...the height of inferiority complex sad

God will bless u 4 dis comment I tire o! Are we honouring American teachers in Nigeria? Yet some pple will open their dirty mouth to say "football games". Na match Clinton come play? Mscheeew!!!
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by cronsberg: 3:29pm On Feb 27, 2013
Ngwakwe: South East States should learn from Ogun State by singing Biafra Anthem after Nigeria Anthem in any Official engagement.

You crazyy bro? angry

Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by kolamilan(m): 4:05pm On Feb 27, 2013
jackbauersballs: I am delighted to read that the American Anthem was finally Dropped!

Ise ya

Ise ya

Omo Ogun Ise ya!

Fvck you Clinto-ris. angry
you say what? No let them ban you oo
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by nitusa: 4:10pm On Feb 27, 2013
gramci: Protest As Obaigbena Fixes American Anthem Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards

The guests at the event refused for the American anthem to be sung before the Nigerian anthem.
There was a mild drama on Tuesday at the 18th Annual Thisday Awards held in Abeokuta,the Ogun State capital, as guests at the ceremony kicked against singing the American National Anthem before the Nigerian anthem.
Guests were already seated whenthe award organiser, Nduka Obaigbena, publisher of Thisday Newspapers ; and the Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun; ushered in Bill Clinton , former American President. After that, the Master of Ceremony announced that the American Anthem will be sung followed by the Nigerian anthem.
In swift response to the announcement, there was a spontaneous, and overwhelming resistance from the guests, who vehemently kicked against the arrangement, insisting that such arrangement was insulting to Nigeria and her citizens.
The guests, many who spoke to PREMIUM TIMES after the event, argued that in Nigeria, the country’s anthem should be sungfirst and that in America, one should expect the Americans anthem to take priority. They demanded a reversal of the arrangement.
A change was effected. The Nigeria national anthem was sung, followed by Ogun State anthem while the American anthem was eventually dropped.
The ceremony was in celebration of Nigeria’s best teachers and fifteen teachers were honoured at the event. It was organised by Mr. Obaigbena’s Thisday Newspapers and held in the OgunState capital.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/?p=122016

[size=13pt][/size] Oga sir, you missed a lot of happening at this arena. Check this out below:

You haven’t done well with oil money, Clinton tells Nigeria
TUESDAY, 26 FEBRUARY 2013 00:00 FROM CHARLES COFFIE-GYAMFI, ABEOKUTA NEWS - NATIONAL
User Rating: / 2
PoorBest

• Seeks return of intellectuals overseas

IT was a stark reminder of the wastefulness of the nation’s leaders as former United States (U.S.) President Bill Clinton declared that Nigeria had failed to properly use her rich natural resources.

Clinton did not mince words as he told Nigeria: “You haven’t done well with your oil money.”

According to Clinton, Nigeria cannot afford to fail because if she does, the consequences for Africa would be disastrous. He challenged Nigerian leaders to create economic opportunities for the majority of the citizens.

The former U.S. president spoke while answering stakeholders’ questions at the 18th This Day Awards organised by the This Day Newspaper management to honour 18 teachers for their commitment to duty. The well-attended event was held at the June 12 Cultural Centre, Abeokuta.

Clinton urged Nigeria to find a way of bringing home her intellectuals, who he said, were scattered all over the world, to assist in developing the country instead of using their talents to develop other nations.

Answering a question, the former American President said: “When I became President, my Secretary for Commerce did a lot of work in Africa before he was tragically killed in a plane crash in 1995. I told him to make the list of the 10 most important countries in the world for the 21st century and Nigeria was in the list. Imagine the future of the entire continent if Nigeria fails or South Africa fails. So, you are a country of great potential.”

He added: “I would say you have about three big challenges. First of all, like 90 per cent of the countries which have one big resource, you haven’t done well with your oil money.” He said that he expected Nigeria to reinvest it in different ways.

Noting the disparity in the ownership of wealth in Nigeria, Clinton said: “You have to somehow bring economic opportunities to the people who don’t have. This is not a problem specific to Nigeria. Almost every place in the world, prosperity is heavily concentrated in and around urban areas. So, you have all these political problems and now violence problems, religious differences, and all the rhetoric of Boko Haram, but the truth is that the poverty rate in the North is three times greater than what it is in the Lagos area and to deal with that, you have to have both powerful stake in the local councils and a national policy that work together.”

He expressed the view that “there has to be a way to take the staggering intellectual and organisational ability that Nigerians exhibit in every country in the world in which they are immigrant and bring it to bear here so that the country as a whole can rise. One of the people on my trip with me today who unfortunately could not come up here because he had to go to visit his family is a young Nigerian-American, named Nnamdi.”

He described Nnamdi as a wonderful man, saying: “He (Nnamdi) does great work in America for poor kids in Arkansas City and he became a friend of mine. Both his parents have Ph.Ds, his sister has a Ph.D. He often says ‘I’m the failure in my family and I only have a university degree and I play football. My point is there are Nigerians who are like this all over the world. What you have to figure out is how to keep those people in Nigeria and how to ensure their success leads on into the rest of the country. So, I think solving the economic divide that is in your country will help the political divide; making better use of your resources.”

The former American President compared Nigeria to India which he said “has unbelievable entrepreneurs but they are not very good at collecting capital and investing it in infrastructure so that they can unite the poor part of the country with the rich part. That’s what you have to do. And then, you have to empower people with education so they can succeed at home as well as around the world”.

The Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun commended the organisers of the event for bringing it to the state.

At the event, eight primary school teachers, four secondary school teachers and three university lecturers were honoured and given a cash reward of N2 million each.

Governor Amosun was also given an award for investing heavily in education.

Next >
Author of this article: From Charles Coffie-Gyamfi, Abeokuta

1 Like

Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by goingsolo: 4:27pm On Feb 27, 2013
Very funny !!
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by zaza1(m): 4:44pm On Feb 27, 2013
the ignorance being spewed out on this particular topic is so alarming..this is truly a country in trouble..people are so proud to show they are illiterate.How can the Ogun people be saying they should play the Nigerian anthem first?You play the anthem of the host country last and that should be the last thing you will hear..they asked for Nigerian anthem to be played first and some people here are saying it is right..it is so sad that so many people know next to nothing about anything that doesnt immediately concern them..SMH

1 Like

Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by 3kay945(m): 4:52pm On Feb 27, 2013
Why singing the America anthem in the first place?
Well, I think mr naptu as valid point.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by 3kay945(m): 4:55pm On Feb 27, 2013
zaza1: the ignorance being spewed out on this particular topic is so alarming..this is truly a country in trouble..people are so proud to show they are illiterate.How can the Ogun people be saying they should play the Nigerian anthem first?You play the anthem of the host country last and that should be the last thing you will hear..they asked for Nigerian anthem to be played first and some people here are saying it is right..it is so sad that so many people know next to nothing about anything that doesnt immediately concern them..SMH

Some are even asking for the head of the organiser
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by iyeyemi: 4:55pm On Feb 27, 2013
zaza1: the ignorance being spewed out on this particular topic is so alarming..this is truly a country in trouble..people are so proud to show they are illiterate.How can the Ogun people be saying they should play the Nigerian anthem first?You play the anthem of the host country last and that should be the last thing you will hear..they asked for Nigerian anthem to be played first and some people here are saying it is right..it is so sad that so many people know next to nothing about anything that doesnt immediately concern them..SMH

I tire o, thought I was the only one wondering why people are taking this so badly,someone already stated a position that it is in line to play the host nation's anthem first, people are just averse to reading in this country, Complain first, Reason later...that's our MO
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Kairoseki77: 5:02pm On Feb 27, 2013
YOU GOTTA BE REALLY INSECURE TO GET THIS ANGRY OVER THE ORDER OF A SONG.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by naptu2: 5:25pm On Feb 27, 2013
Now, to the issue of whether the US anthem should have been played or not.

If it was an official state function organised by the Nigerian Government, the US anthem would not have been played (it is only played for the head of state or his representative). You would even notice that at some private events (eg inter-house sports competitions) the invited army or police band might sometimes refuse to play the Nigerian anthem. This is because, to them, the anthem is part of the national salute and they will only render that salute to the president or state governor.

However, at a private function, the organisers are at liberty to play any anthem that they want, but protocol demands that the Nigerian anthem is played last.

Examples: I went to a trade event organised by a chinese company and the chinese anthem was played. In the US, the Israeli anthem is often played at private jewish events.

And there are many more examples.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by naptu2: 6:17pm On Feb 27, 2013
ZACHIE: Q: If both the U.S. national anthem and the national anthem of a foreign country were being played at an event (in the United States), which one would be played first?

A: Traditionally, as a courtesy, the foreign anthem is played first.

http://www.state.gov/s/cpr/what/c18027.htm

Yes! That's the link I was looking for (from the US State Department). Thanks.
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by me1234: 6:56pm On Feb 27, 2013
I don't know why people sre saying kudos to ogun people for been clearly wrong.the national anthem should be sang last that's what is obtainable everywhere
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by Akiika: 7:02pm On Feb 27, 2013
Oh God, grant my countrymen wisdom and enlightenement fast fast, these ignorance & mumu-ism is just too much!
Well, to the dismay of most of you...the host country's national anthem is usually sung last at events.
And to that Obaegbena man...Clinton is there as a private citizen, why should you run the US national anthem at all? i don't get it!
Re: American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards by jmoore(m): 7:20pm On Feb 27, 2013

Ever heard of the word treason? Go to school..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Just In:polling Unit Result / Original Ikoyi Whistleblower Heads To Court / Ekiti: Labour Writes Fayemi, Protests Mass Sack Of Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.