Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG (6102 Views)

CAN Protests Moves To List Nigeria Among Arab Nations To Fight ISIS / 8 Countries With No Natural Resource But, Thrive To Become World Major Exporters / Why Are Indians Ceos Leading World Major Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 04, 2013
Omerian Consult: We can consult for foreign firms that wish to have a presence in Nigeria.

You can even consult for INDIGENOUS firms that wish to start up something. That market hasn't been sufficiently tapped in my view.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by deletrue: 5:14pm On Mar 04, 2013
karl max: Later the liar lia momammed would come and lie to nigerians about how our economy is failing.anyway he can only deceive his brainwashed AC-N hypocrites that the Nigerian economy is failing not Intelligent nigerians. When fitch rated lagos state Economy due to the good work of this governent this same goons praised fashola. I would really like to see their hypocritical comment on this thread.well is glad to knw that this government is doing a lot to improve our situation that has been destroyed by buhari and his co journeymen ibb and abacha.kudos to GEJ and his team.but more needs to be done
You have said it all. If an individual is burn straight headed, brought up by the real normal parents, then, you will no doubt, mark jona and his team average for now, considering his enemies and challenges arising from among others, not being offered appointments, failure from elections, tribal or ethnic points of view, straight forward hate etc., One thing people should place in their inner mind is that, by God's grace, there is another days after today. So support this government. I have this strong believe that this government will deffinently become the best after independence. Mark and place this on record. T he government requires your support day in and out.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by obi2012: 5:23pm On Mar 04, 2013
Lots of Americans, Europeans and Canadians are investing in Nigeria now o.. I am not talking $10k small small investments o.. We are talking big dollar investments in mining, agriculture, real estate and infrastructure..

meine: Nigerians just love deceiving themselves shaaa, i don't know if a Canadian will leave his fairly stable country and start looking for an uncertain country to invest in. How many long term investments in manufacturing or industrial goods are we attracting? ZERO. All we have is a deluge of Chinese, Lebanese and Indian investors with short term oriented and substandard projects. These People who are short of strong business ethics. Most of them use and pay our people so poorly. I have said it again and again that any country that build its economy on these is heading for failure.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by backtosender: 5:24pm On Mar 04, 2013
[b]I strongly believed because of the years of the Hausa/Fulani dominated military, our logic of reasoning has been battered. We often hear that: "the west cannot win without the North" but these people erroneously saying this believed that the 'North' can win without West or East. But the reality of things is this:

There is nothing like North in the present situation. If the West (the Yoruba) in your calculation cannot win the presidency, truth I tell you, the North-West (Hausa/fulani) cannot also win. The North-East (Kanuri) cannot win as well.

Already and since Jonathan took over, the hegemony of one North has been broken. The Gwari, in Southern Kaduna, see themselves first as Gwari and not North and being mainly Christians and currently being bombed by the Hausa/Fulani and Kanuri's Boko Haram, their votes will be for a Mr. Jonathan, who has since worked with them to ensured the security of their lives and properties in the face of extermination plans by the Hausa/Fulani.

The Birom, Igala, Ebira, Idoma, Tiv all in your North are strong supporters of Mr. Jonathan. They are Christian, currently being bombed by Hausa/Fulani and Kanuri's Boko Haram and only Mr. Jonathan has been helpful to them.

I wouldn't know why you will continue to say the 'North' this; the 'North' that. Look at the last presidential election, a Hausa/Fulani candidate won only in North-West and North-East and not in North-Central. Hausa/Fulani people have always rigged but this time around, a Northern candidate on APC ticket will lose.[/b]
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by Nonybb: 5:34pm On Mar 04, 2013
KPMG: Nigeria Among World’s Four Major Investment Destinations

Nigeria has been ranked as one of the four major investment destinations and growth areas in the world.

According to KPMG, one of the world’s foremost audit, financial and tax advisory firms, Nigeria’s newfound status followed the disappointing returns recorded by the BRICS, with the exception of China.

BRIC was the term coined by Goldman Sachs’ economist, Jim O’Neill in 2001, to symbolise the emerging global economic powerhouses of Brazil, Russia, India and China. The term was later expanded to BRICS to accommodate South Africa.

However, KPMG at the weekend, said the poor regulatory environment, slower than expected growth prospects and disappointment returns on investment recorded by the BRICS, with the exception of China, has worked in the favour of Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey which have been termed the MINTs, as well as the ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) region, now considered the new destinations for global capital and investors.

Global Chairman, KPMG International, Mr. Michael Andrew, who was on his first visit to the country last week, told reporters in Lagos that Nigeria and the other countries among the MINTs have attracted increasing investment offers and enquiries through the services of KPMG, amongst others investment and financial advisories, with the view of taking advantage of the high rates of return on investment.

According to him, with the exception of China, international investors have found the Brazilian, Russian, Indian and South African economies disappointing in the last few years and are looking for safe havens with better returns for their investments.

“The offers for the MINTs are intense and we are getting a huge amount of enquiries about these countries. People want to know how to do business in these countries, how to access the markets and how to take advantage of the long-term growth that is coming.

“If you are a CEO and you are sitting in London, New York or Frankfurt, because the market is growing and the cash inflow to these markets, the markets are putting pressure on the CEOs to try and find new markets where they can find growth.

“Particularly, companies in consumer markets such as financial services, food and energy are the ones that they are really focused on in these emerging economies,” he said.

Andrew, who spoke alongside the National Senior Partner, KPMG Professional Services, Mr. Seyi Bickersteth, and Partner, Management Consulting, KPMG Professional Services, Joseph Tegbe, said the international investors are interested in investing in the Nigerian capital market and could later move to the real and other sectors of the economy.

He said: “Initially they are going to move into the stock market, then they will move into the property market, then they will start to move into the real sector in economies such as Nigeria.

“So everyone is watching where this cash goes, but the real question is what are the factors that will actually drive this growth?”   

Elaborating on the determining factors, Andrew said: “People are looking for a growing middle class, they are looking for a predictable regulatory environment, and they are looking for stable and transparent corporate governance structures.
“In the last few weeks, I have been to Mexico, Indonesia, India and then Nigeria, and their similarities are remarkable – between those economies and this one are the ones attracting a lot of interest.

“In the last few years, we have talked about the BRICS being the area of focus. But if you talk to international investors, their views will be that the BRICS, with the exception of China, have been quite disappointing.
“So they have found it difficult to invest in these countries, their regulatory environment is unpredictable and they have not been able to get good returns on their investments.

“As such, people are now focused on the MINTs – Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey. They are the four countries that international investors are really focused on for growth and investment.”

Bickersteth while fielding questions on the power reform and recent sale of successor companies of Power Holding Companies of Nigeria (PHCN), gave a pass mark to the Federal Government on the exercise.

He said: “The process is being handled by someone for whom I have a lot of respect for – Mr. Atedo Peterside. The process has been very transparent.

“However, you are not going to satisfy everybody in this particular deal, so my own opinion is that we must move forward. We need to move forward because if we don’t we are going to have a real problem in the power sector.”

Stressing that it has been shown quite clearly that the public sector cannot deliver the amount of electricity that the country needs to form the industrial base in the country, he observed that Nigeria needs the resources and the expertise of the private sector.

“On the overall basis, the power reform programme is something that I welcome; the process has been fair and the valuation, from what I understand, has been fair. So let’s move on and deliver the power objective that we say we want to deliver,” he submitted.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/kpmg-nigeria-among-world-s-four-major-investment-destinations/141153/
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by Chinaimporter: 5:44pm On Mar 04, 2013
Omerian Consult: We can consult for foreign firms that wish to have a presence in Nigeria.

I need to invest money in you yahoo yahoo buizness.i can consult,solve,analyze,contract and pulverize situations for foreign investors and i speak french and cantonese.
I studied cantonese to acquire neccasary skills needed in the yahoo biz because of the large number of chinese in nigeria now.contact me if you need someone else in this consultation work.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by deletrue: 5:52pm On Mar 04, 2013
HAH: Somalia too are very lucrative to invest infact they do better than Nigeria in the piracy sector.

Bull shit may be KPMG is talking of bunkering in that case there is no place like Nigeria.

Where is leventis, where is liver brothers, where are the textile industries in kano and kaduna.

Power alone cannot allow you invest and compete with imported goods talkless of the rampant insecurity in every part of the country no thanks to boko haram, Mend,massob,opc, kidnappers etc etc

We all wish Nigeria to be great but the present realities go in a parallel way with genuine investment.
Under normal circumstances, every perfect individual, be it sports, be it social, economic etc, there are usual a little trace of inheritance. Take Okocha, Messi, etc for instance, there must be good sportsmen or women in their families. In the vain, take people like you, chief Obasanjo, Pastor Bakare etc for example, there must be some traces of unlevel heads in these families, hence your comments matches your view point.
Now we are talking of jona, ( the present government) of less than two years old, you are talking of companies like leventis, liver brothers, textile etc that folded up long time ago. You are indeed among the list of 18,000,000 unconscious or mad nigerians. Am sure next time you will think before commenting on very essential issues. By the way, are you related to chief Obasanjo?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by RedLight1: 6:15pm On Mar 04, 2013
HAH: Somalia too are very lucrative to invest infact they do better than Nigeria in the piracy sector.

Bull shit may be KPMG is talking of bunkering in that case there is no place like Nigeria.

Where is leventis, where is liver brothers, where are the textile industries in kano and kaduna.

Power alone cannot allow you invest and compete with imported goods talkless of the rampant insecurity in every part of the country no thanks to boko haram, Mend,massob,opc, kidnappers etc etc

We all wish Nigeria to be great but the present realities go in a parallel way with genuine investment.
my friend... With all due respect, u are a retärd angry
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by karlmax2: 6:20pm On Mar 04, 2013
obi2012: Lots of Americans, Europeans and Canadians are investing in Nigeria now o.. I am not talking $10k small small investments o.. We are talking big dollar investments in mining, agriculture, real estate and infrastructure..

don't mind the oga jare help me ask am where MANITOBA The company that took over the TCN is from?
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by greaterlove(m): 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2013
we dont really need KPMG to tell us this, its written all over, every thing about the economy is pointing up, even those who are instigating hate againt GEJ are investing heavily.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by karlmax2: 6:26pm On Mar 04, 2013
Red-Light:
my friend... With all due respect, u are a retärd angry
he is one of lair mohammed and fashole brainwashed hypocrites they are all bunch of noise makers have u not noticed that his likes has stayed away from this thread but go to a thread that has their beer palour propoganda u would see them there they are shameless.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by AjCityOne: 8:18pm On Mar 04, 2013
karl max: Later the liar lia momammed would come and lie to nigerians about how our economy is failing.anyway he can only deceive his brainwashed AC-N hypocrites that the Nigerian economy is failing not Intelligent nigerians. When fitch rated lagos state Economy due to the good work of this governent this same goons praised fashola. I would really like to see their hypocritical comment on this thread.well is glad to knw that this government is doing a lot to improve our situation that has been destroyed by buhari and his co journeymen ibb and abacha.kudos to GEJ and his team.but more needs to be done

If you really think KPMG is talking about real estate investment in other part of the country other than Lagos then you maybe delusional. Go back and read the article again and you will realise that the investment oppurtunities they all talking about are all in Lagos. Energy, food and you thing they are talking about crude oil. Think again. This has nothing to do with GEJ economy.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by occam(m): 8:30pm On Mar 04, 2013
Global Chairman, KPMG International, Mr. Michael Andrew, who was on his first visit to the country last week, told reporters in Lagos that Nigeria and the other countries among the MINTs have attracted increasing investment offers and enquiries through the services of KPMG, amongst others investment and financial advisories, with the view of taking advantage of the high rates of return on investment.

So this is what people are excited about? A bland statement designed to make his Naija hosts feel good.

No numbers or stats to prove anything; just speculation. What is the trend? Which sectors are they making offers or enquirers about? Nigeria has always been and will continue to be a potential market to invest, nobody doubts this. The only question is when will this POTENTIAL translate into real and sustainable investment?

Confidence in the Nigerian equity market is still very low due to transparency issues. So who are the investors waiting on the sidelines to pile on cash into the market?

Will an investment manager with over $500 billion in his portfolio be prepared to put just 5% in the Nigerian market?

Geez! It must be a slow news day if this is today’s top news

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 04, 2013
AjCityOne:

If you really think KPMG is talking about real estate investment in other part of the country other than Lagos then you maybe delusional. Go back and read the article again and you will realise that the investment oppurtunities they all talking about are all in Lagos. Energy, food and you thing they are talking about crude oil. Think again. This has nothing to do with GEJ economy.

You sound really stupi.d. Simply out of political hatred you make yourself reason like a goat online. Sure. All the foreign investors are ''only coming to invest in Lagos''. Mining, oil, agriculture, transport, power generation, telecoms. Just in Lagos. DUMMY.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by karlmax2: 8:53pm On Mar 04, 2013
ROSSIKE:

You sound really stupi.d. Simply out of political hatred you make yourself reason like a goat online. Sure. All the foreign investors are ''only coming to invest in Lagos''. Mining, oil, agriculture, transport, power generation, telecoms. Just in Lagos. DUMMY.
don't mind the dullard he is one of those brainwashed eko oni baje hypocrite.I didn't even bother to reply him cos from his post u would know that u can't engage in a meaningful argument with him. his one of the few lagosians who has been brainwashed while Tinubu continue to turn lagos into his private property he is at the about turning the present eti osa local government council office in V,I the one close to etim iyang cresent to a private shopping mall, the local government council there are presently relocating to another building to give way for his theifnubus private shopping mall.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by Mekus68: 8:54pm On Mar 04, 2013
I'm surprised Nigeria is rated this high economically even with the Boko Haram insurgency
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by awodman: 9:03pm On Mar 04, 2013
ANALYSTS RATE NIGERIA,DUBAI STOCK MARKETS ABOVE US
By Obinna Chima with agency report

Investors that bought stocks in the United States of America this year, could have done better investing in the Nigerian stock market, analysts have said.

In fact,  the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), has outperformed American equities by a large margin, up more than 20 per cent this year, compared to about six per cent recorded by American bourse.

The analysts, who spoke with CNBC, also listed the stock market in Dubai, Iceland, Vietnam and Abu Dhabi as other markets that have outperformed the US market this year.

The NSE All Share Index closed at 33,183.19 last  Friday, compared to the 28,078.80 basis points it stood at the beginning of the year. Also, the NSE’s total market capitalisation closed at N10.618 trillion on Friday, up  from N8.974.45 trillion.

“Taken together, the countries form an unlikely quintet that leads the global equity markets and poses opportunities for investors wary of all the stomach-churning turmoil closer to home,” the analysts said.

Executive Vice President at BPU Investment Management in Pittsburgh, Nadav Baum, said: “If you don't know something, you tend not to buy it. That's human nature. People know what Coke does. People understand what Heinz is.
“But when you are playing in those international markets, people get concerned about currency risk, they get concerned about liquidity, and they really don't understand the companies out there."

Also, Managing Director, Asian Currency Trading at Nomura, Stuart Oakley  and Chief Investment Strategist at Citi Private Bank, John Woods, predicted further market appreciation.

However, they  noted that one of the keys to investing is understanding where you are putting your money, adding that transparency isn't exactly the hallmark of many foreign exchanges.

“That's why exchange-traded funds can provide good access points for investors looking to get broad-based exposure to foreign markets without having to worry if, say, the market in Bulgaria (up 12 percent this year) or the Philippines (plus 15 percent) should blow up,” the CNBC report added.

The world's worst-performing market is Brazil, down about 7.5 per cent.
Overall, emerging and frontier markets are getting plenty of attention from strategists. While equity flows have turned positive in 2013, far more money has gone to global markets than the US. January saw global outpace domestic narrowly, but in February the gap has grown. Global equity mutual funds have taken in nearly $14 billion so far while US funds have seen just $2.5 billion, according to the Investment Company Institute.

The US market is actually just about middle of the road when compared to others across the globe. It ranks 29th of 77 global exchanges and third among G-7 countries, behind Japan and Britain, which have seen big pops in their stock markets as their respective currencies have tumbled in value, according to Bespoke Investment Group.
Source:www.thisdaylive.com/articles/analysts-rate-nigeria-dubai-stock-markets-above-us/141133/
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by balladin: 9:15pm On Mar 04, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:
Chai! If only boko nonsense would stop. Issues like kidnapping and armed robbery (mainly southern problems) would gradually disappear with the improving economic indices.

One of our major problems in this country is our penchant to engage in 'politics with bitterness'; there's too much politicking in the country and this causes a 'toxic' atmosphere where people/groups don't mind sabotaging the interests and good fortune of the entire country for sectional and personal interests.

Imagine a country where everyone was pulling in the same direction, and 'politics' was done with some civility?
You're right. Too much politics, even in nairaland. A mature person gives credit to his rival when he gets it right and criticises only verifiable faults. Our politicians (including those in nairaland) should grow up and be more constructive with their criticisms.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by Nobody: 10:12pm On Mar 04, 2013
Nigeria is good for return on investment.

But investment is a skill. it is easier to loose money in investment than to gain it.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 04, 2013
Mekus68: I'm surprised Nigeria is rated this high economically even with the Boko Haram insurgency

Without Boko Haram we would have been the fastest growing economy on earth and No 1 global investment destination. Boko Haram just means we're down to 3rd or 4th. cool

The MAIN reason the Nigerian economy is attracting international interest on this scale is better economic management by the federal government allied to an expanding middle class with ready disposable income, and a relatively young population.

So we have Africa's largest middle class, a highly educated and entrepreneural population of 170 million, world class oil and gas reserves to fuel development, basic but growing infrastructure, stable govt system and laws, a reasonably independent judiciary, a highly developed banking system. So we have what it takes to attract global interest and move to the next level.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by deletrue: 10:31pm On Mar 04, 2013
oga osewa, please do not delete my comments.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by rasputinn(m): 9:31am On Mar 05, 2013
MINT

Well done team GEJ on the success (so far)of the transformation agenda.

There's more to be done,the power sector reform must be seen through 100%,the aerotropolis project must be totally implemented(all dubious airport concessions should be cancelled,especially Bi courtney's that has a clause that specifies that for 36 years,no other airport should be developed in the whole of Lagos state,whilst Wale Babalakin smiles to the bank with whatever services his firm forces down our throat).Reforms in the agric,petroleum/energy sectors must move to the next gear.What of the rail projects,they are so many to mention,but I call on concerned MDAs to deliver on Mr President's transformation mandate as it affects their MDAs
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by rasputinn(m): 9:34am On Mar 05, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Without Boko Haram we would have been the fastest growing economy on earth and No 1 global investment destination. Boko Haram just means we're down to 3rd or 4th. cool

The MAIN reason the Nigerian economy is attracting international interest on this scale is better economic management by the federal government allied to an expanding middle class with ready disposable income, and a relatively young population.

So we have Africa's largest middle class, a highly educated and entrepreneural population of 170 million, world class oil and gas reserves to fuel development, basic but growing infrastructure, stable govt system and laws, a reasonably independent judiciary, a highly developed banking system. So we have what it takes to attract global interest and move to the next level

Well done
Faultless submission,you're a true son of your father.Here's my biz card,call me sometime wink
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by omonnakoda: 9:42am On Mar 05, 2013
KPMG are an employee of the current FG and so cannot be viewed as objective or reliable.Currently they are payed millions of dollars by Nigeria and are involved in the management of the $1 billion sovereign wealth fund.Therefore what else would they say. We need to hear this from a neutral source
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by FrankC3: 11:43am On Mar 05, 2013
omonnakoda: KPMG are an employee of the current FG and so cannot be viewed as objective or reliable.Currently they are payed millions of dollars by Nigeria and are involved in the management of the $1 billion sovereign wealth fund.Therefore what else would they say. We need to hear this from a neutral source
This your submission sound too foolish. Open your mind and read wide. The world is bigger than your little village or the size of your hatred for GEJ.
If KPMG have said that Nigeria is a failed State or that Lagos is the best investment destination, i am sure your position will shift.
This NOI led economic team will thoroughly disgrace you people. Check her records, she is never at home with failure.
With what is going on, our metric can only go up. The investment burden are lifting and our country is getting on her feat as the giant she really is, forcing her way to live up to her potentials amidst bombing and lies and propaganda from your likes.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by omonnakoda: 2:04pm On Mar 05, 2013
I believe Dangote is right when he says only Africans will develop Africa. In truth ,Nigeria has everything to be in the top ten economies so we are underperforming.To do well government must invest in people to "upgrade" our human resources so that any investors will find a useful workforce. Our often touted population strength is a mirage as long as the majority of that population are trapped or even imprisoned by ignorance,superstition and misguided religiosity.
The reason our external reserves disappear is we import too much. Much of what we import we can produce. Right now we should not be importing a lot more than machines or Value added technology products
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by Slizbeat(m): 3:53pm On Mar 05, 2013
See as the thread comment few. If its about Fashola and Jibowu street light now, e go dun plenty and the MODs go dun hide so many post. I don't just know why pple like to Discredit the president and credit a mere governor working under the presidos administration.

1st law of Power- Never outshine your Master.
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by omonnakoda: 3:57pm On Mar 05, 2013
Not only those behind bars are in prison. Half education is another kind of prison often with a life sentence
Re: Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG by simdam500(m): 7:04pm On Mar 05, 2013
Improvement...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Electing Sheriff National Chairman Will Be Disastrous, Okupe Tells PDP / Enugu is leading in IGR automation, says Finance Committee Chairman / Kano Lawmakers Reject Amendment To Ramadan Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.