Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,998 members, 7,838,512 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

The Return Of Toll Gates On Kubwa and Airport Road,Abuja: Your Views. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Return Of Toll Gates On Kubwa and Airport Road,Abuja: Your Views. (1027 Views)

FG To Begin Collection Of Toll At Border Posts / FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads / Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Return Of Toll Gates On Kubwa and Airport Road,Abuja: Your Views. by Euroclydon(m): 10:29am On Mar 07, 2013
There is a pending policy for the construction of toll gates on kubwa expressway and airport road in Abuja and this is something that makes me wonder if these officials in government operate and live suspended on the air so much that they dont know what we are going thru? Does it mean that all of us that go to work from the suburbs will pay toll gate fee twice daily? plus the fuel that we burn? Not to talk of the increase on transport fares that will follow as these bus operators will have to pay toll gate fees which will reflect on the commuters fares negatively! Have we forgotten that a little hitch on these roads can cause alot of traffic jam? The traffic this morning at city gate around 7:30am tied wrapper and gele!
Those of you close to government should please advice the government against this abeg cos i believe this project is being reactivated to service a pocket somewhere...smh

Abuja – The Federal Government on Wednesday said it would concession the newly constructed Kubwa and Airport roads in Abuja through the introduction of toll gates to make the roads self-sustaining.

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Sen. Bala Muhammed, said this in Abuja while briefing State House correspondents after the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC), presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan.

Muhammed said that N49 billion was required for the completion of the affected roads, adding that tolling the roads would enable FCT to generate more funds for their completion and maintenance.

“Also, we have informed the council that we want to bring concession template on the existing corridors that we have finished with requirement of about N49 billion to complete the project, that is the airport road and the outer expressway so that at the end of the day we will toll them so that they would have been self-sustaining rather than waiting for federal government to give us the money which will shift the goal post for completion of the projects.”

The minister dismissed the insinuations that the proposed concessioning and subsequent introduction of the toll gates was anti-people, exploitative and unjustifiable, saying the arrangement was a global practice.

According to him, only the central lanes of the roads will be concessioned, while the service lanes will be free of charge.

“It is a global practice, the city is modelled after Brasilia, with the satellite towns feeding the centre and then we have the service road, any concession has a template, a global indices for concessioning is that we must provide an alternative road for the common people living along the corridor and this is ten lanes, we are just going to toll the centre lanes for purposes of payment, the rest will be free for use and this is what is the global practice.

“Of course, there people who would be in a hurry, they wouldn’t want to use the service lane and that is the idea of tolling, it is not going to impinge on travel time or increase the fare which is part of our KPI to reduce the fare within the FCT and outside.”

Muhammed said that government had a robust plan to develop the satellite towns in the FCT in order to take the pressure off the facilities in the city centre.

He said the FCTA, in partnership with the Nasarawa State Government, had concluded arrangements to begin the construction of a major corridor that would go through Masaka- Mararaba Gurku –Mpape-Katampe–Maitama to decongest the Nyanya-Mararaba road, and ensure smooth traffic flow in the FCT.

He said the road project would be carried out through a Private-Public-Partnership programme (PPP).

Muhammed further said that the FCTA would embark on a waste-to-power project as a way of creating wealth and job opportunities for youths in the FCT. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/fg-plans-toll-gates-on-kubwa-airport-roads-says-fct-minister/

Re: The Return Of Toll Gates On Kubwa and Airport Road,Abuja: Your Views. by EkoAtlantic: 11:16am On Mar 07, 2013
I don't see anything wrong in it. Since no efficient method of taxing Nigerians other than direct method, the indirect form ain't working well.

To the flat akpu headed members who have blamed Fashola for tolling some roads in Lagos, what're u gonna say about this FG's action?
A-s-s holes
Re: The Return Of Toll Gates On Kubwa and Airport Road,Abuja: Your Views. by Solemntee: 11:21am On Mar 07, 2013
This i know for sure will be greeted by negative reactions from the public as a result of untold hardship and financial burden that it will generate.
Re: The Return Of Toll Gates On Kubwa and Airport Road,Abuja: Your Views. by Camilia247: 11:46am On Mar 07, 2013
i dnt just know wot is wrong with this FCT minister, he just sits down and formulate any policy without thinking of the major effects it will have on the masses, no he doesnt as long as it favors him...i wont be surprise that some percentage of cash paid at the toll gates will go straight to him, and he will enjoy it even when out of office...selfish interest...we dnt need it abeg, we will occupy him if he does, shikena
Re: The Return Of Toll Gates On Kubwa and Airport Road,Abuja: Your Views. by yanni1(m): 11:51am On Mar 07, 2013
honestly i dont understand again... We are already aggravated with the fuel price increase of january 1st 2012, the inconsistent power supply, now ,milking us again via toll gates...we don turn slaves be dat na! e remain to carry koboko dey flog us like the days of isrealites in egypt!
Re: The Return Of Toll Gates On Kubwa and Airport Road,Abuja: Your Views. by slimming: 12:12pm On Mar 07, 2013
Bala is looking for money this time
Re: The Return Of Toll Gates On Kubwa and Airport Road,Abuja: Your Views. by BlackMamba2: 12:56pm On Mar 07, 2013
OP, most NLanders are lagosians... Abj boys no get time so expect little or no views.
Re: The Return Of Toll Gates On Kubwa and Airport Road,Abuja: Your Views. by Boazizzy08: 2:10pm On Mar 07, 2013
personally i see nothing in establishment of toll gates. but where i always have issues with government is proper accounting and utilization of the funds realized from the toll gates. just like it has disadvantages, a very good advantage i so much admire from toll gate is that is some how serves as a check point. i can vividly remember far back when i was growing up in the eastern part of the country. a friends car was snatched at gun point but as God works in mysterious ways, immediately the case was reported at the Police (when Police was Police), all toll gates were immediately put on alert. could u believe that the car was recovered at one of the toll gates.

(1) (Reply)

Which Of These Crimes Would You Recommend A Death Sentence For? / No Threat Can Make Nigeria Hold Unto Gej's Failure In 2015 / Igbo Community In Kogi To Raise N200m Fund For College

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.