Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity (11507 Views)

Presidency Doubts Mu’azu’s Loyalty –punch Investigation / Fayose Doubts Pdp’s Ability To Win Osun / FG Doubts Sanusi’s Withdrawal Of Suspension Suit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Nobody: 11:51am On Mar 13, 2013
APC Registration: New Facts Cast Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity

The address given by the law firm that approached the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for registration of a new party, Legal World Chambers, belongs to another law firm that was oblivious of the development.

LEADERSHIP had yesterday exclusively published a bromide of a letter purportedly addressed to INEC by Legal World Chambers and signed by a lawyer, Barrister Nwokorie Samuel Chinedu, asking for the group to be registered as African Peoples Congress (APC).

In the said letter dated February 28, 2013, Chinedu claimed that the APC or its promoters are its clients on “whose instruction and authority” the said application letter was written.

But LEADERSHIP investigation has revealed that the firm does not operate from the address purportedly indicated on the headed letter paper.

A visit by LEADERSHIP correspondents to the address -- Suite 1007, Block B, Anbeez Plaza in Wuse Zone 5, Abuja – turned dramatic as the correspondents came face to face with a different law firm boldly written on the entrance of the office -- IJEOMA DESTINY CHAMBERS.

Initially, the chambers’ secretary, a middle-aged woman, was evasive before someone who identified himself as Barrister Anyabe Imabeni eventually decided to talk. But when LEADERSHIP spoke to Imabeni, he claimed that he was the only lawyer available at the time of the visit.

According to him, there are two law firms or chambers co-habitating the same office, namely, Maji-Emmanuel & Co and Ijeoma Destiny Chambers.

But Imabeni said he could only speak for Maji-Emmanuel & Co despite the fact that both firms share the same secretary.

Disowning the existence of Legal World Chambers, Imabeni said, “We don’t know about it, we are not a party to it, we are not privy to it and I am not aware that the counsel you have mentioned is in any of our offices here and perhaps if any such arrangement existed, I know for sure that I would know but you cannot rule out any possibility, as I am speaking for only Maji-Emmanuel & Co”.

When LEADERSHIP sought to know why Imabeni’s views couldn’t apply to the sister firm – Ijeoma Destiny Chambers – he emphatically maintained that he could only speak for Maji-Emmanuel & Co. Attempts to contact the principal partner or any other lawyer in Ijeoma Destiny Chambers proved abortive as they were said to have gone out and no one was in a position to speak for them or give out their phone numbers.

LEADERSHIP’s conversation with Chinedu on the phone numbers indicated on the headed letter paper turned more dramatic. The following conversation ensued on MTN line number 08164257977 indicated on the letter paper of Legal World Chambers :

LEADERSHIP: Good afternoon, sir, am I speaking with Barrister Nwokorie Samuel Chinedu of Legal World Chambers?

Chinedu: Who are you?

LEADERSHIP: I am calling from LEADERSHIP Newspapers.

Chinedu: Okay, call me back later.

About 30 minutes later, another call was placed to Chinedu on the same

number and the following conversation ensued:

LEADERSHIP: I called you earlier from LEADERSHIP Newspapers.

Chinedu: Yeah, who did you say you want to speak with?

LEADERSHIP: Barrister Nwokorie Samuel Chinedu, lawyer to African Peoples Congress.

Chinedu: My friend, this is a wrong number, you are talking to the wrong person (cuts off the conversation).

Further calls to his second line (08053957522) were not answered.

NBA to investigate identity of lawyer

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has said it is embarrassed by media reports that one Barrister Nwokorie Samuel Chinedu has a different address apart from the one in a letter purportedly written to the INEC chairman seeking registration of African Peoples Congress (APC).

The lawyers’ association became worried that the said address on Chinedu’s ed letter paper in which he addressed the letter to INEC was nowhere to be found in Abuja.

When LEADERSHIP contacted the national secretary of the NBA, Mr. Emeka Obegolu, he stated that the association would probe the matter. He also demanded a formal letter so that the matter could be taken up at secretariat level for investigation.

Similarly, the NBA chairman of the Abuja branch told LEADERSHIP in an interview to do a formal letter so that it could be circulated to two other branches of the lawyers’ body in Gwagwalada and Bwari in order to investigate the matter.

this APC registration thing is becoming more dramatic...i just siddon dey look them

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/49902/2013/03/13/apc_registration_new_facts_cast_doubts_over_lawyers_identity.html
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Goddex: 1:09pm On Mar 13, 2013
Whatever, the facts remain that one smart Nigerian has forwarded an application
to INEC for registration with APC acronym.

The peeps in APC are too dull and not smart at all. Politics is not all about one
ACN Liar speaking plenty grammar all the time.

12 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by takedat(m): 1:22pm On Mar 13, 2013
The faceless and imaginary APC should not be taken seriously by INEC, unless INEC hs vested interest in this misadventure, and are acting out a script on behalf of PDP. This will prove Buhari right, that INEC is in cahoots with PDP! For INEC to have given attention and consideration to the barrister without diligently verifying his identity on a sensitive matter as this, is nothing but crass negligence and the height of institutional incompetence! Now we are faced with prolly a Fake Lawyer, Fictitious Address and a Faceless Client, obviously INEC will be heating up the polity if it doesn't dissociate itself from this shenanigans!

26 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 13, 2013
JEGA knows what he is doing? I'm even surprised he came out to the public to tell ppl about the other APC that had filed for registration. I can't remember him doing same for other parties. But it will be a shame if Jega is playing the script for PDP

3 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by takedat(m): 1:42pm On Mar 13, 2013
wise_many2k: JEGA knows what he is doing? I'm even surprised he came out to the public to tell ppl about the other APC that had filed for registration. I can't remember him doing same for other parties. But it will be a shame if Jega is playing the script for PDP
That is the picture of a dupliticious umpire. The phantom APC is yet to satisfy any requirement in the electoral act, order than a letter of intent and INEC has not issued them a letter of acknowledgement, I see no reason why INEC had to rush to the media, is it to drive the opposition into a frenzy?!

4 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by seunfly: 1:43pm On Mar 13, 2013
Every Nigeria gov agencies (both fed, state and local) just keep showing incompitence, negligence and lack of inteligence.
Why will an organisation summit an application for a very sensitive issue that can make or mar Nigeria as a whole without verification.
Which means anybody can just do 419 4 them.

1 Like

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by takedat(m): 2:39pm On Mar 13, 2013
seunfly: Every Nigeria gov agencies (both fed, state and local) just keep showing incompitence, negligence and lack of inteligence.
Why will an organisation summit an application for a very sensitive issue that can make or mar Nigeria as a whole without verification.
Which means anybody can just do 419 4 them.
Its beyond negligence, more of contrivance!
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 13, 2013
In civilized countries, the INEC chairman wld immediately resign and tender his unreserved apology to the nation...but in 9ja....d guy will sit tight and be popping champagne in his office, wasting more tax payers money sad

4 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by KokoBeware: 4:34pm On Mar 13, 2013
wise_many2k: In civilized countries, the INEC chairman wld immediately resign and tender his unreserved apology to the nation...but in 9ja....d guy will sit tight and be popping champagne in his office, wasting more tax payers money sad

What exactly has he done wrong none of the parties are duly registered, besides he said by law anyone who meets the full criteria first will be registered. i still blame the real APC for dragging thier feets instead whats stopping them from finishing the registration process. I can write a letter of intent to INEC tomorow to register SDP..

4 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Nobody: 4:40pm On Mar 13, 2013
KokoBeware:

What exactly has he done wrong none of the parties are duly registered, besides he said by law anyone who meets the full criteria first will be registered. i still blame the real APC for dragging thier feets instead whats stopping them from finishing the registration process. I can write a letter of intent to INEC tomorow to register SDP..

his offense was to go to the media and make a circus out of a letter of intent sent to INEC by another party seeking registration as APC. It was a careless move by Jega

2 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by takedat(m): 4:58pm On Mar 13, 2013
wise_many2k:

his offense was to go to the media and make a circus out of a letter of intent sent to INEC by another party seeking registration as APC. It was a careless move by Jega
Apart from the whole media facade. It shows nonfeasance and laxity on the part of INEC! If they can accept a letter of intent from a non-existing chamber/office address and gleefully go to the media, then wahala dey!

2 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by takedat(m): 6:27am On Mar 14, 2013
I wonder why this piece of information didn't get to the home page? Its important that we all see the flaws in our system, where just any dubious character may easily exploit and get away with imposture and jugglery!

1 Like

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by MrGarri1: 6:37am On Mar 14, 2013
Jega should retrace his steps lest the little credibility he has disappears like a mist when the sun rises..
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by mankevo(m): 7:16am On Mar 14, 2013
INEC merges with PDP..........Buhari
What other proof do we need to ascertain this?
Jega will be ''un-doing'' his little reputation here.
MODS: kindly PERMANENT this on the FP, even if attack dogs wont comment, let the sight scare them more!!

2 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by patimore: 7:33am On Mar 14, 2013
JEGA IS FOLLOWING THE FOOTSTEPS OF IWU. THE LAWYER IS A 419

2 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 14, 2013
take dat: I wonder why this piece of information didn't get to the home page? Its important that we all see the flaws in our system, where just any dubious character may easily exploit and get away with imposture and jugglery!

No mind the MOD....if na Tonto Dike and useless gist now, it will make front page within 5mins of the thread opening undecided...in fact, i'm beginning to suspect the MOD lipsrsealed
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by DJDOLA(m): 4:30pm On Mar 14, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 14, 2013
Laughter galore!!! Why is fraud always written on everything emanating from PDP?

2 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 14, 2013
All party people we be the new party next party that will registerd ,yeye people.
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Samsantos9: 4:35pm On Mar 14, 2013
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by quest003: 4:38pm On Mar 14, 2013
and d same jega deregistered over twenty political parties on the grounds that they do not function
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 14, 2013
Hahahahahaha See these cry babies. The real APC (African People's Congress) should even sue Tinubu & Co for parading themselves with the APC acronym. Did anyone stop them from registering their party in time ? Now you opposition have real jobs to do, and that is going to court over name ownership and proof your case beyond reasonable doubts. That will perhaps keep you guys busy while we of the Fresh Air movement manage this country in peace. Lest I forget, this acronym ACNCPCAPGA is still available for registration and its very memorable.

1 Like

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by baby124: 4:43pm On Mar 14, 2013
All they need to do is investigative journalism and get people on film. This phantom party will just die sharply. Even INEC will be too ashamed when they are confronted with film evidence. No one wants their face on camera. grin grin cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by omarky(m): 4:46pm On Mar 14, 2013
Nigeria full of Drama....... We watch while it last
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by kunletomot: 4:46pm On Mar 14, 2013
Are u sure jega is knowledgeable.
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Sibrah: 4:47pm On Mar 14, 2013
Even An APC being represented by imaginary law firm has sympathizers all in the politics.
Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Maxymilliano(m): 4:49pm On Mar 14, 2013
take dat: Its beyond negligence, more of contrivance!

I don't see any contrivance here bruh, I also happened upon the bromide of the letter of intent by the supposed APC, shared on cyber space.

People at INEC are no fools, there are seasoned technocrats working with the body, I don't know Jega apart from his published profile, but Kayode Idowu, the chief press secretary was a columnist I got to know at Punch, before he was persuaded to join the editiorial board of The Nation Newspaper.

Cut this guys some slack, your angst against INEC is what I'm contending with, most of this info might be fabricated for all I care till INEC present the true picture of things but I just dey surprised you no talk of yellow journalism here, just because it aligned with your conviction.

1 Like

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 14, 2013
Why is that it is only in nigeria that issues of fraud with leadership becomes a normal thing...

1 Like

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by ajos(m): 4:51pm On Mar 14, 2013
by hook or crook...ASO ROCK HERE WE COME........HURRAY

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by HAH: 4:52pm On Mar 14, 2013
I like this is happening now because it shows the battle ahead , inec has teamed up PDP to get a mushroom lawyer to send intend letter.

My fellow progressive this is blessing in disguise atleast we won't fold our arms and sit down the battles has begun in earnest and surely we will come out victorious in this first challenge.

4 Likes

Re: APC Registration: Doubts Over Lawyer’s Identity by Nobody: 4:54pm On Mar 14, 2013
HAH: I like this is happening now because it shows the battle ahead , inec has teamed up PDP to get a mushroom lawyer to send intend letter.

My fellow progressive this is blessing in disguise atleast we won't fold our arms and sit down the battles has begun in earnest and surely we will come out victorious in this first challenge.
You could not even register your name and acronym then you want to fight a battle. Are you guys on the "what can I call you guys now" smart at all ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We’ll Not Interfere In Your Election, Britain Tells Nigeria / President Jonathan's New Year Suprise For 2013 / Reps Threaten Emefiele With Arrest Over N6trn Oil Proceeds..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.