Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,750 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister (1000 Views)

Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by Orpelin: 4:24am On Mar 15, 2013
"Sugar daddies are destroying our children": South Africa health minister
The "sugar daddy" phenomenon of older men paying younger women for sex is to blame for a 28 percent rate of HIV infection in schoolgirls said the health minister.

South Africa's health minister said on Thursday that 28 percent of schoolgirls in the country were HIV positive.
Minister of Health Aaron Motsoaledi's explanation for the
depressing figure: sugar daddies.
According to the Telegraph, Motsoaledi said: "It is clear that it is not young boys who are sleeping with these girls."
"It is old men. We must take a stand against sugar daddies
because they are destroying our children."
The Mail and Guardian has previously reported that the "sugar daddy" phenomenon is a big problem in the country with older men effectively paying young girls to sleep with them. It also refers to the acceptance of multiple partners as many of the older men are married.
Only four percent of school-age boys are infected.

The minister said that on top of that, 94,000 schoolgirls became pregnant in 2011.
More than 77,000 of them had abortions.
Motsoaledi has been widely praised for his efforts to curb HIV in South Africa,reported the BBC, having run the world's largest anti-retroviral (ARV) program since 2009.
About one in ten South Africans are HIV positive.
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/africa/south-africa/130314/sugar-daddies-are-destroying-our-children-south-afr
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by Emmyk(m): 6:40am On Mar 15, 2013
Nawa oo
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by Orpelin: 7:11am On Mar 15, 2013
I'm still waiting for the South Africans on NL to come & defend this if its otherwise!
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by andrewza: 5:18pm On Mar 15, 2013
What is there to deffend.

I mean al least we know our problem. When is the last time you have had a AIDS test.

2 Likes

Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by JeSoul(f): 6:58pm On Mar 15, 2013
About one in ten South Africans are HIV positive

28 percent of schoolgirls in the country were HIV positive
These numbers are scary to say the least.
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by Orpelin: 7:03pm On Mar 15, 2013
andrewza, I was just thinking this may want to degenerate with counter-claims as we had it in the other thrend abt military might.
Seriously, I may have not had my test yet but I know I "play save".
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by andrewza: 8:00pm On Mar 15, 2013
Orpelin: andrewza, I was just thinking this may want to degenerate with counter-claims as we had it in the other thrend abt military might.
Seriously, I may have not had my test yet but I know I "play save".

Sex is the most common way but not the only way. And to many nigerians do not play safe or get tested.

By the way I have been tested 5 times. I know I am safe.

Why down play it. This is a real problem and a big one at that. But a problem we know about.
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by Orpelin: 8:55pm On Mar 15, 2013
^I love that.
By "Play Save", I meant the ABC approach to the issue. Cos their are so many enlightenment programmes here which I was directly involved.
A- Abstinence
B- Be Faithful (& Careful)
C- Condomise (using condom 4 those that must Do!)
I need not to broadcast it that I practised the first 2 approached with high level of commitment & self determination.
I equally preach it to ppl & extended the 3rd approach to those that are in dear need!
However,I need to step up to the test level soonest.
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by andrewza: 9:03pm On Mar 15, 2013
Orpelin: ^I love that.
By "Play Save", I meant the ABC approach to the issue. Cos their are so many enlightenment programmes here which I was directly involved.
A- Abstinence
B- Be Faithful (& Careful)
C- Condomise (using condom 4 those that must Do!)
I need not to broadcast it that I practised the first 2 approached with high level of commitment & self determination.
I equally preach it to ppl & extended the 3rd approach to those that are in dear need!
However,I need to step up to the test level soonest.

Has I said sex is not the only way. Just the most common.
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by Nobody: 12:43am On Mar 17, 2013
1 in 10 are HIV positive?!
i don't know oo. undecided

as for the sugar daddies thing,
that's a universal problem. vanity is a cancer..
but add poverty and the desperate need to escape it
and you've got serious problems. smh

God bless south africa still.
Beautiful country. Beautiful people.
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by fELiscatus: 10:25am On Mar 17, 2013
Wow. So it's not only HIV epidemic tehy are facing in South Africa, they also have plenty of pedophilles there?
Or are all these school girls that are sleeping with the sugar daddies above 16?
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 17, 2013
smh.
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by fELiscatus: 2:27pm On Mar 17, 2013
MsDarkSkin: smh.

Why are you shaking your head?
Re: 28% Of South African Schoolgirls Are HIV Positive- SA Health Minister by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2013
Orpelin: I'm still waiting for the South Africans on NL to come & defend this if its otherwise!
well here i am. It's total bs!!!!
follow the link below.

Media get it wrong on SA
schoolgirls' HIV statistics
An inaccurate figure that 28% of
all schoolgirls in SA were infected
with HIV has been reported as
fact by a multitude of news
agencies.
hppt/www.mg.co.za/index.php?view=article&urlid=2013-03-22-media-reports-that-third-of-schoolgirls-have-hiv-is-incorrect&views=1&mobi=true&KEY=49te1lmo9url93q88mubusgp06

According to Minister of Health
Aaron Motsoeldi there are no
statistics available on national
figures of HIV prevelance
among young girls.
Last week the Mail &
Guardian used a South African
Press Association (Sapa) article
on its site incorrectly stating that
28% of South Africa's schoolgirls
were infected by HIV, compared
with 4% of schoolboys.
But the fact-checking
organisation, Africa Check,
reported that Motsoaledi's speech
at a "taking Parliament to the
people event" in Carolina in
Mpumalanga was misinterpreted
by a Sowetan journalist and was
then re-reported by other news
companies and agencies.
Motsoaledi said on Friday the
statistics that were incorrectly
quoted were on an HIV testing
and counselling campaign, which
actually found a small number of
schools in the Natal Midlands
were particularly hard-hit by
HIV. Of the group of children
tested there, 28% of girls were
infected by the disease compared
to 4% of boys.
"That journalist did not go and
verify the statistics,"
said Motsoaledi. "If you hear [a
figure] that drastic, verify it
before running to print."
Agencies such as the
UK's Independent, Al Jazeera, and
China's Xinhua also ran stories
reporting that "a third of South
Africa's schoolgirls have HIV".
The figure gained momentum
through social media sites
Facebook and Twitter and
became a hot topic on Redi
Tlhabi's show on 702 Talk Radio.
So what is the real statistic?
The department of health's
National Antenatal Sentinel HIV
& Syphilis Prevalence Survey
reported that HIV prevalence
among young women aged
between 15 and 19 was at around
12.7% in 2011, a decrease in the
previous year's figure of 14%.
But this figure reported on only
those girls who visited clinics to
be documented.
Since HIV testing has not been
performed on school children on
a national level, it is difficult to
say what the real prevalence of
HIV is among this demographic.
Barbarah Klugman of the Wits
School for Public Health said the
reason there were no official
statistics was because
undertaking a survey on a
national level would be an
extraordinarily expensive feat.
Moreover, although figures were
important and should not be
misreported on, knowing what
the real figure was would not
change the fact that South Africa
has a massive HIV problem and
the implications of the disease for
the country was huge,
said Klugman.

(1) (Reply)

Today in History - US Warship Downed Iran Airliner, Killed 290 / Old Photo Of Donald Trump Will Give You Hope / Can US Destroy North Korea In A War?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.