Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy (19016 Views)

Patience Jonathan’s Look At Alamieyeseigha's Service Of Song (Pictured) / Jonathan, Alamieyeseigha, Others To Attend Dickson’s Declaration / ‎​How I Met Goodluck Jonathan -Alamieyeseigha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by thelastPope(m): 10:08am On Mar 15, 2013
ochukoccna:
Stop your juvenile arguements& satanic justifications
The man is a thief,a convicted thief period
Who does not know he along with Clark and other prominent Ijos are behind the militants?
Where the militants not paid for their so called amnesty?
Someone denies he's a thief yet he's seen with a neighbours goat
Ojukwu,OBJ,Awolowo etal all recieved pardons and travelled the world
Let Alams just go to the UK to spend a week and see if your infantile justifications will stand
Rubbish

Did the militants drop their guns because they were paid? No militant was paid any alowance till about a year after declaring amnesty. The militants did not accept amnesty because of payments. They accepted amnesty because their leaders convinced them to. They were making more money from the militancy than what they are making from amnesty. The only difference was that they had to fight and believe me, they are ever ready to fight. In fact, they are still ready to fight. It is only their leaders that are keeping them quiet. You need to have a proper understanding of the Niger Delta. You obviously don't.

The problem between GEJ and Charles Okah is simply that Okah refused to stop the militancy like the rest even with compensation.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by dolphinife: 10:11am On Mar 15, 2013
I GUESS DOYIN OKUPE DOES NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POLITICAL COUP WHICH THE LIKES OF GENERAL DIYA AND ADISA CARRIED OUT AND NATIONAL EMBEZZLEMENT WHICH ALAMIEYESEIGHA WAS FOUND GULLIBLE OF. HOW CAN YOU COMPARE SOMEONE WHO STARVE HIS STATE THE MONEY MEANT FOR DEVELOPMENTAL PROJECTS WITH SOME PATRIOTS LIKE DIYA, AWOLOWO AND OJUKWU WHO WERE NATIONAL CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTRY, WHO WANTED A CHANGE IN THE STATUS QUO, WHO PREFER TO LAY DOWN THEIR LIVES TO SALVAGE THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY FROM OPPRESSION AND CORRUPTION. THIS REMINDS ME WHEN A SPECIAL ADVISER TO ABIA GOVERNOR STATED THAT THEORDOR ORJI CAN BE LIKENED TO NELSON MANDELA...IS THAT NOT A FALLACY
JONATHAN HAS SAID IT YESTERDAY THAT ALAMIEYESEIGHA WAS AND STILL HIS BENEFACTOR....AND ITS VERY MUCH UNLIKELY THAT YOU WILL BTE THE HANDS THAT FED YOU

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by Paentera(m): 10:11am On Mar 15, 2013
thelastPope: This is a fact and it isn't new. Go and check all the news and even threads on NL dating back as much as 3 to 4 years and you will see it clearly. Alameisegha was the biggest factor behind the Niger Delta amnesty.

Whether you agree that that is enough for him to get pardon is another debate entirely. But it is a known fact that Alameseigha was the man that got the militants to drop their arms and accept amnesty. He still remains a respected leader because of what he did for those guys over the years.

You will be fooolish to expect that those youths will throw him under the bus because of his corruption case when he has really helped them for years.

While you have a point about his assistance with the amnesty, restoring peace to the ND et al, the act of pardoning him for looting & embezzling state funds is to say the least, in extremely bad taste.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by Nacl: 10:12am On Mar 15, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked ...... I NEED TO START LOOTING MY SHARE IN THE VAST RESOURCES THAT ABOUND IN THIS COUNTRY.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by Desola(f): 10:13am On Mar 15, 2013
coal_coal: Surely, jonathan is not going to win the next election come 2015

I think it is becoming clearer that there shall be no election in 2015. That is why gej is doing all things with reckless abandon and impunity and telling us all to our faces that he does not give a shiatsu! There would be no handing over of power in 2015, it is going to be war with the very likely possibility of an Ijaw republic emergence. They have the greedy western nations on their side (America to be precise) and all they need is a small civil unrest and war is unleashed. Are you surprised by the presence of US' drones in Niger as recently reported? It's all part of the script. Jonathan knows that he has the biggest nation standing behind him and that is why he can act with impunity and tell us that there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

Fingers and toes crossed. 24 months is only around the corner. You'll say I said so.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by davseun2ta(m): 10:14am On Mar 15, 2013
taharqa: Yes, we are. Even though i didnt vote for him last time, his Admin is by providing real benefits than oda Admins in at least d last 20yrs, regardless of what d ongoing Media propaganda pounds on yr head. If sm of u honestly bliv dat sm of us wud even tink of reducing our support cos of an indiscretn (one which I completely disagree with by d way), then you are on a rili loooong thing. Dat ain't going to happen; certainly, not cos of dis.. @topic, cud smone plz tell Okupe to SHUT d fvnk up for now?

It is imperative you know that, election into critical positions like that of the presidency, shouldnt be done out of pity... competency and vision is the key! Jonathan was voted in out of pity and cos we Nigerians are too religious so we feel He is God's sent cos of his past history! well, am not aasking you to withdraw your support for him, but just one question for you...WHAT CAN YOU CATEGORICALLY STATE THAT YOU HAVE GAINED FROM THIS ADMINISTRATION?... i await your response
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ifihearam: 10:14am On Mar 15, 2013
Children on nairaland!!!!!!!!
Do you think GEJ would gladly grant alams pardon for no just cause?
There are certain political reasons which cannot be brought to light that propelled this action. You won't understand but sooner or later you will but I make bold to tell you that the niger delta unrest is finally settled. Alams for your information has more grounds than GEJ in the niger delta and it will be of good service to grant him amnesty in exchange for peace especially where our goldmine is.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by PopeUDENSI: 10:15am On Mar 15, 2013
Soon it'll be the turn of Ibori to be pardoned.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ayox2003: 10:15am On Mar 15, 2013
Billyonaire: There are 2 entities you can not fight and win; God & Government - Alamieyeseigha after ordeals from powers that be.

Keep dreaming. Tell Gadaffi u cannot fight the govt and win. Shior.

When u make human development unattainable, violent revolution is inevitable.

GEJ will meet his waterloo.

Frawzey

1 Like

Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by dederocs(m): 10:16am On Mar 15, 2013
They own the boys,they use and control them-what is Okupe saying?
when Obasanjo was president did he need Alamesyiah to make the delta peaceful.only a weak president will use cultists and gang leaders to bring peace-such a peace is elusive.our military should rise up and protest this mockery,their position and strength is being challenged by minor forces.sad.
Alamesiah is a criminal and a huge embarrasment to Nigeria...shame on pdp
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ifihearam: 10:18am On Mar 15, 2013
davseun2ta:

It is imperative you know that, election into critical positions like that of the presidency, shouldnt be done out of pity... competency and vision is the key! Jonathan was voted in out of pity and cos we Nigerians are too religious so we feel He is God's sent cos of his past history! well, am not aasking you to withdraw your support for him, but just one question for you...WHAT CAN YOU CATEGORICALLY STATE THAT YOU HAVE GAINED FROM THIS ADMINISTRATION?... i await your response

Are you a learner??
You question lacks substance,how dare you ask him what he has gained?
If YOU haven't gained anything means you are not alive in this country. To grant amnesty to alams is one thin but practical benefits of this government cannot be over emphasised.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by thelastPope(m): 10:19am On Mar 15, 2013
coal_coal:

laptop number pls.....

I don't use laptops. I am not an ACN/CPC supporter. I use a Galaxy S3 and a Note II with a docking station and wireless charger. You can call me Pad number 1. Thank you!
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ecosanders: 10:19am On Mar 15, 2013
thelastPope: This is a fact and it isn't new. Go and check all the news and even threads on NL dating back as much as 3 to 4 years and you will see it clearly. Alameisegha was the biggest factor behind the Niger Delta amnesty.

Whether you agree that that is enough for him to get pardon is another debate entirely. But it is a known fact that Alameseigha was the man that got the militants to drop their arms and accept amnesty. He still remains a respected leader because of what he did for those guys over the years.

You will be fooolish to expect that those youths will throw him under the bus because of his corruption case when he has really helped them for years.
c dis Filthy maggot o, i kw u wil always find a way of faulting wat sensible ppl say, n wil always find darkness where d light of men shine,by trying 2 justify wat ur OGA AT D TOP say shows dat d descendant of Madam grammar n Odechukwu r in their millions out there, including NL. I wil always b on ur neck each time u make deluded comment here.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ecosanders: 10:20am On Mar 15, 2013

akuya, eran,mmeee! Ewu
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ifihearam: 10:20am On Mar 15, 2013
ayox2003:

Keep dreaming. Tell Gadaffi u cannot fight the govt and win. Shior.

When u make human development unattainable, violent revolution is inevitable.

GEJ will meet his waterloo.

Frawzey

Children!!!!
What waterloo?
Why havn't Buhari,obasanjo,Ibb,abdusalami met theirs?
Keep dreaming
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by dederocs(m): 10:21am On Mar 15, 2013
henryblaze25: I wonder why people keep running their mouths over this issue, dis man has accepted he messed up and also volunteered in making sure Amnesty was a success, we have all forgotten that just now because the Crude oil production has gone up again. If to say Militants still dey blow up oil facilities I 4 see if una 4 no call him name make e talk to Militants to accept Amnesty. In as much as am concerned, He is a victim of circumstance cos we still have a lot of Governors that did worse than him are still working freely today.
its better for all the pipelines to be blown up,than for our Nation to be run by gangs and gang leaders...what type of society will that be.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by slimfit1(m): 10:22am On Mar 15, 2013
God can change his mind Jonathan, you are banking on the prayer Papa G.O prayed for you. Papa probably
Prayed because he has no choice but to many are dying because of you.

leave Aso Rock as quickly as possible we have know respect for you anymore just has you don't for us too.
God doesn't want you there any. Jonathan let my people go. God is saying that its going to be bloody for you oh.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by taharqa: 10:26am On Mar 15, 2013
ayox2003:

Ofcourse. But u know captions are meant to captivate. International readers didn't even know it was a presidential pardon until they read it. Just read through comments there.

Frawzey
Guy, cool down. Comments from whom rili? US citizens maybe? Same US where a sitting President grantd 'Unconditional Pardon' to d immediate pass President (who was his immediate boss) for crimes even worse than those Thief Alams was convictd for; and what was worse, d pardon was grantd to even prevent Nixon from even bn prosecutd in court. Is dat d citizens of a country who are commenting. Read tru how Presidents the world ova grant pardons almost indiscremently. Virtuali all past US Presidents (except 2 and dats even cos they die early in office) hv grantd Pardon to an average of 100 persons (spys, tax cheats, corrupt officials, murderers, prisoners of conscience, etc), sm of dem very controversial; hell, even Bill Clinton grantd pardon to his own Brother who was convictd of Possession of concaine. Guy, they are all POLITICIANS. GEJ is d 1st politician i hv eva supportd, and i did it wit d knowledge dat he wud disappointe me at times. This is one of those times, and except it becomes a pattern and d bad overwhelmes d good Or i no longa see a clear path to where he's taking us, i wud not withdraw support...
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ayox2003: 10:28am On Mar 15, 2013
ifihearam:

Children!!!!
What waterloo?
Why havn't Buhari,obasanjo,Ibb,abdusalami met theirs?
Keep dreaming

Okay, old man.

The subsidy protest was a child's play. I don't think he's learnt anything from it. Just wait and see.

Frawzey
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by thelastPope(m): 10:30am On Mar 15, 2013
Paentera:

While you have a point about his assistance with the amnesty, restoring peace to the ND et al, the act of pardoning him for looting & embezzling state funds is to say the least, in extremely bad taste.

From my posts, you can see I am not really defending the pardon. I know it looks bad to many people and it looks good to others. But my point is that Okupe was very right about what Alams did for the Niger Delta and subsequently for Nigeria. He saved us from a big mess. There was no way the JTF would have quelled the Niger Delta militancy. Yaradua treid every force in the book but it didn't work. You cannot beat those boys in the creek.

OBJ really didn't have that much militancy activity in his time. During the OBJ years was when the militants started to grow their base and weapons. Serious fight started towards the last 2 years of OBJ and escalated during Yaradua's time. Actually, it was part of the reason why OBJ had to choose a Niger Delta man as VP for Yaradua.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by honeric01(m): 10:33am On Mar 15, 2013
taharqa: hell, even Bill Clinton grantd pardon to his own Brother who was convictd of Possession of concaine.

Comparing cocaine possession to that of a criminal who stole his state dry and at the same time was made to keep 50% of the loot (plea bargain)

Damnit!
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by davseun2ta(m): 10:35am On Mar 15, 2013
ifihearam:

Are you a learner??
You question lacks substance,how dare you ask him what he has gained?
If YOU haven't gained anything means you are not alive in this country. To grant amnesty to alams is one thin but practical benefits of this government cannot be over emphasised.

who are you to question me?... Its obvious you are a loyal cattle to the president and the pDp government, cos if you are not, such statemnets would not emaniate from your mouth.Nothing is obviously working in Nigeria, Only Corruption. yes! Alam, has more ground in the NIger delta, amnesty has been granted to these guys, they didnt request for alam's release(mind you).. look! there is no justification to his pardon as far as am concern, this is someone who pleaded guilty to these charges. A sense Nigerian youth knows that a deserve to be punished, execept you are his accomplice
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ypzilanti: 10:40am On Mar 15, 2013
EFCC should start granting 'pardons' proactively to current economic criminals in line with GEJs new policy.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ayox2003: 10:40am On Mar 15, 2013
taharqa: Guy, cool down. Comments from whom rili? US citizens maybe? Same US where a sitting President grantd 'Unconditional Pardon' to d immediate pass President (who was his immediate boss) for crimes even worse than those Thief Alams was convictd for; and what was worse, d pardon was grantd to even prevent Nixon from even bn prosecutd in court. Is dat d citizens of a country who are commenting. Read tru how Presidents the world ova grant pardons almost indiscremently. Virtuali all past US Presidents (except 2 and dats even cos they die early in office) hv grantd Pardon to an average of 100 persons (spys, tax cheats, corrupt officials, murderers, prisoners of conscience, etc), sm of dem very controversial; hell, even Bill Clinton grantd pardon to his own Brother who was convictd of Possession of concaine. Guy, they are all POLITICIANS. GEJ is d 1st politician i hv eva supportd, and i did it wit d knowledge dat he wud disappointe me at times. This is one of those times, and except it becomes a pattern and d bad overwhelmes d good Or i no longa see a clear path to where he's taking us, i wud not withdraw support...

That's the problem with Nigerians. We always make excuses for incompetence. We know what is expedient, yet we want to justify our shortcomings with what Awolowo did, what Bill clinton did, what Bush did. Listen closely, Alams is the first man in the whole world to be tackled by Kleptocracy Assess Initiative. I don't want to say much. Just google it. Plus, when a governor steals, its causes a domino effect. Hospitals suffer, roads don't get repaired, infrastructural development stalls, infact people die!

Now u're making excuses for this pardon cos US did it? Do we have the same standard of living as the US? Do we have the same resource management as the US? Huh?

If we cant even think of ourselves, let's think of the unborn child or our kids. What legacy is been laid for them?

Frawzey
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by Rhapsody1(f): 10:41am On Mar 15, 2013
Okija_juju: Why is this Doyin Okupe Nigga still in our government please?!

I am a strong Jonathan supporter, but this guy is doing more harm than good to our 2015 comapaign... angry
Whats all this foolish talk he keeps making everyday.
Alamco is a Thief. He is helping out with the Amnesty programme my a`ss.. Wasnt it himself and Odili that armed these creek boys in the first place?! angry If anything, Alam should be in the amnesty programme as well as a repentant militant.

I am very very very disappointed in Jonathan.. If Doyin continues this foolishness on his behalf, then the 2015 dream would slowly die off.

For the first time in a while, the Fresh Air dosent smell as fresh as it should. angry

thanks a lot for this post. One of the main reason I rarely contribute here is the complete lack of objectivity by most users. Because you like and/or are loyal to a person or party, everything done by that person or party is good. And vice versa. It makes nonsense of intelligent discussion since in a bid to justify or condemn, black is blatantly labelled white.
I am not a fan of this govt. Was saying this by the third month of Yaradua's demise. I totally lost it for them after the subsidy saga. The very fact that Allison is still there disgusts me. I didn't vote for this govt, neither will I ever give it mine vote. I hope and pray that especially in the power sector, there will be a change. But even if this govt changes Nigeria to be like USA by 2015, I still will not give her my vote. I will acknowledge and commend her, but I will not trust her with my vote. That is just me. I also respect opinions contrary to mine.
But what I continually find unbelievable is the way peeps justify wrong doings. Sentiments aside, black is black. Whether you are a GEJ fan or otherwise, could we try to put aside that when we are talking about wrong and right. Whether clemency or pardon, whether Alams is needed economically or not, could we at least agree that what was done insults every decent human sensibilities? If not any other crime, the fact that he is still wanted outside the shores of Nigeria should have put this govt on caution about this pardon.
Otherwise, I truly wonder for the younger and future generations. Because we are telling them that a goat can be called a spade and nothing will happen. Infact, you will have peeps ready to die for you in defense of that.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by slimfit1(m): 10:42am On Mar 15, 2013
ifihearam: Children on nairaland!!!!!!!!
Do you think GEJ would gladly grant alams pardon for no just cause?
There are certain political reasons which cannot be brought to light that propelled this action. You won't understand but sooner or later you will but I make bold to tell you that the niger delta unrest is finally settled. Alams for your information has more grounds than GEJ in the niger delta and it will be of good service to grant him amnesty in exchange for peace especially where our goldmine is.

Are you very serious or you are joking? Please tell me its a joke.

A father that steals from his hungry kids, what do you call that type of father?

My man you are insulting the south south man.
So its only a thief that you people can look up too, did you think before you type at all.
This man have no moral values at all that is the person you call your leader. I'm afraid because you are basically saying you all don't have moral values at all. Out of all the leaders you have there you choose a thief. What did he do when he was a governor first of all? You know a leader that love and put is people's interest before anything from the way he developed his area first e.g Awolowo love him or hate him his people are still benefiting from him, he puts our interest first before anything,that is why we will always love him you can hate me for using him as an example but that is the fact.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by Dee60: 10:42am On Mar 15, 2013
Very stupid and unintelligent speech by the president's aides these days. If there was any trust anywhere in the world that GEJ will fight corruption, the man has rubbished and killed that thought with this amnesty. The president will allow his aides to push him into the abyss, forgetting that these same aides work with any government in power. Even if a dog becomes president, they will still work for it, and call it 'the best ever'.

As for the statement by Okupe - No Comment!
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ayox2003: 10:43am On Mar 15, 2013
taharqa: Guy, cool down. Comments from whom rili? US citizens maybe? Same US where a sitting President grantd 'Unconditional Pardon' to d immediate pass President (who was his immediate boss) for crimes even worse than those Thief Alams was convictd for; and what was worse, d pardon was grantd to even prevent Nixon from even bn prosecutd in court. Is dat d citizens of a country who are commenting. Read tru how Presidents the world ova grant pardons almost indiscremently. Virtuali all past US Presidents (except 2 and dats even cos they die early in office) hv grantd Pardon to an average of 100 persons (spys, tax cheats, corrupt officials, murderers, prisoners of conscience, etc), sm of dem very controversial; hell, even Bill Clinton grantd pardon to his own Brother who was convictd of Possession of concaine. Guy, they are all POLITICIANS. GEJ is d 1st politician i hv eva supportd, and i did it wit d knowledge dat he wud disappointe me at times. This is one of those times, and except it becomes a pattern and d bad overwhelmes d good Or i no longa see a clear path to where he's taking us, i wud not withdraw support...

That's the problem with Nigerians. We always make excuses for incompetence. We know what is expedient, yet we want to justify our shortcomings with what Awolowo did, what Bill clinton did, what Bush did. Listen closely, Alams is the first man in the whole world to be tackled by Kleptocracy Assess Initiative. I don't want to say much. Just google it. Plus, when a governor steals, its causes a domino effect. Hospitals suffer, roads don't get repaired, infrastructural development stalls, infact people die!

Now u're making excuses for this pardon cos US did it? Do we have the same standard of living as the US? Do we have the same resource management as the US? Huh?

If we cant even think of ourselves, let's think of the unborn child or our kids. What legacy is been laid for them?

Frawzey

1 Like

Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by thelastPope(m): 10:46am On Mar 15, 2013
honeric01:

Comparing cocaine to that of a criminal who stole his state dry and at the same time was made to keep 50% of the loot (plea bargain)

Damnit!

This is where you got it wrong. Alams is the most generous governor the Niger Delta has ever had. His style of generosity was not acceptable to some of us. But make no mistake, he was very generous. He was corrupt, just like every other governor in that era. He wasn't more corrupt than Tinubu or any other governor then. He got into trouble because of his campaign for 50% derivation for Niger Delta. I was one of those who supported OBJ against him then. But the pointt is, OBJ singled him out because of that. I still support OBJ because I think he too should have been clean so he can really fight the cause. The other reason OBJ went against him was because OBJ felt, he was supporting the militants. But the truth was, he had to support the militants. They are his people. He is still highly respected amongst his people till date for his stance.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by kennydee05(m): 10:48am On Mar 15, 2013
Okupeey has represented shame to the university that he graduated from.
Alam in our economy Mr. Man u are a comedian, but mind u, u are not funny.
Yes he is needed in our economy to continue from where he stopped.
Na thunder go strike the mouth where the statement came out from.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by ypzilanti: 10:50am On Mar 15, 2013
Apart from your conscience,there is no incentive to do the right thing in Nigeria. The laws and law enforcement is very lax, and even when you are caught, you can bribe your way out. Now a new dimension has been added...you can get a presidential pardon.
Re: Jonathan - Alamieyeseigha Is Crucial To Nigeria's Economy by me1234: 10:51am On Mar 15, 2013
How Obasanjo, Ribadu dealt with me, by DSP Alamieyeseigha (1)
On June 28, 2009 • In Interview
12:00 am
0 Tweet
By Jide Ajani, Deputy Editor
DSP to Obasanjo: ‘MY LOYALTY TO YOU WILL END ON MAY 29, 2007, WHETHER ATIKU BECOMES PRESIDENT OR NOT’ – August 18, 2005
You needed to have seen Diepreye Solomon Peter Alamieyeseigha, the former governor of Bayelsa State. In this very first tell-all interview with Sunday Vanguard, Alamieyeseigha discloses some disturbing truths about former President Olusegun Obasanjo and what actually led to his travails. Sober but not condescending, Alamieyeseigha admitted that mistakes may have been made but that they were made on the platform of expediency.

He admits that he may not have been a perfect person but was quick to add that persecution was merely his lot for speaking his mind. Some of his traducers, he maintains, have come to apologise to him. In this multi-part interview which started by 2:02 pm and ended at about 6:20 pm, last Wednesday, Alamieyeseigha made revelations.
A man with whom Obasanjo shares a history dating back to 1976, Alamieyeseigha says “I am at peace with myself today”. This is just a snippet, the least interesting part of the interview but chronology takes precedence hence the need to present the interview in the order it was conducted. The other parts would be run in following weeks and readers would be at liberty to make up their minds on how Nigeria was governed in the heady days of matthew Okikiolakan Aremu Olusegun Obasanjo.
Excerpts:
What have you been doing in the last four years?
(He looks up, shakes his head and begins) It has been a journey of life; four years after leaving office
Frankly speaking, I’m at peace with my family. I now have all the time to stay with them and give moral backing.
DSP Alamieyeseigha
Apart from the paraphernalia of office, sirens, clearing the road, I’ve not seen anything spectacular in governance than the life I’m living now. I even have more persons, coming to me for one advice and counseling than when I was a governor. I’m being seen in the Niger Delta region as a godfather and people from all walks of life come to me for one form of assistance or the other. Indeed, the masterminds of my travails in the 2005 episode, most of them have come to beg me publicly and privately to forgive them and I’ve since forgiven them. I’m not an arrogant person so I’m not losing anything. I am down to earth and still doing what I used to do. There is nothing new in life that I was enjoying then that I am not enjoying today.
So, directly answering your question, I’ve always been contented with what I have.
That people can see you now, could that not be a function of the absence of the protocols?

Not necessarily so. When I was a governor, my government was people oriented; I did things that directly impacted my people. My people had access to me and people were never really shut out. Go and interview people on the streets of Bayelsa and ask them: Who was Alamieyeseigha? From 1999 to 2005 when I left office, my administration embarked on a number of people_oriented projects.
What specifically do you do now?
Since I left office I have not done any serious form of business or contract but I am surviving.
Well Nigerians are surviving too but yours would be of a different kind?
Yes surviving, surviving with my family, having time for them, asking: What do we have today, how are we going to utilize it.
But I must confess, being alive today is to the glory of God Almighty and it is only me who can tell the story of my survival so when I say I am surviving, I know what it means. It was not envisaged that I would survive. It was a grand design but today we thank God almighty, more than any other thing, that I am alive.
What actually happened?
To be precise, on the 18th of August 2005, that day happened to be Council of State meeting and we were all in Abuja for the meeting. I got a call from Nuhu Ribadu, chairman of EFCC, that ‘sir, go and reconcile with Obasanjo, he has directed that you and James Ibori, by all means should be roped in for corruption and disgraced out of office; that he believed that James Ibori had gone to reconcile and that I should also go quickly that he was a public servant, he carried out orders. I told him that I had done nothing wrong, that we were on good working terms.
However, after the Council of State meeting, I went to him and told him that I wanted to see him and he even joked that “your friend, Stella”, was not in town – that was around 7:30/8:00 pm.
Solomon Lar and his wife were there; they had lost a son so the wife came from Holland and was about going back, so it was a farewell visit of sort.
When he came out he wanted to see me I said no, please see Chief Solomon Lar first, which he did and they left. He then called me into his inner office.
As we entered, he did not even allow me to sit down, he said ‘DSP, you and Atiku want to take my job, you and Atiku want to take my job’. I then asked him, ‘what job’?
He said Atiku had come to tell him that I was going to run with him as Vice Presidential candidate. And I told him to the best of my knowledge that Atiku had not told me that I was going to run with him. I asked him, what are you trying to imply? He charged back ‘I am not leaving in 2007, a military man like you, instead of you to work with me, you’re supporting a bloody civilian.
I said, ‘Mr. President, are you now saying that in 2007, you are not going to leave?’
He said ‘Yes’.
I asked, ‘how are you going to do it, the constitution is very clear, you are serving your second term and at the end of this tenure, you should gracefully leave for others.
He said no, I am going to continue, ‘am I the oldest president in Africa’?
I said ‘Mr. President, can I say something?
He said ‘Yes, go ahead’.
I said ‘you will leave’.
You told him that?
Yes, I told him and he asked how?
I said ‘I bet on my life, you will leave. My loyalty to you will end on May 29, 2007, whether Atiku becomes President or not. I reminded him if he had forgotten that we all agreed in 1998 that you were only to run for four years – two years to stabilize the nation and another two years to launder our image abroad while Atiku would understudy you and take over when you leave.
I reminded him that in 2003, you were almost gone you were kneeling down, begging people, including myself. I was the only governor that got you back to power. I even threatened my other colleagues of what I was capable of doing if you were not allowed to continue. There is something in leadership and style that the North recognizes that we from the South do not. Not that I love Obasanjo more than my colleagues, I told them, but that they must allow Obasanjo to complete his two terms.
What did your colleagues from the North say?
Not just the North, there were some of my colleagues from the south who were there at the meeting too. I even told them that if Obasanjo was not allowed to complete his two terms, there would be no war in this country that we would not draw blood, but that we would all sit down and agree on how to negotiate and go our separate ways. I went that far to protect your job, because of that patriotic feeling that this nation belongs to all of us, that anybody can aspire.
In that meeting, I even confronted the chairman of the party, Audu Ogbeh. I asked who nominated him to be chairman of the party – it was Obasanjo. Every governor was in support of Gemade but for the fact that it was Obasanjo that nominated Ogbeh, we then reasoned that if we did not support Ogbeh, at the end of the day, the President, as the leader of the party would not fund the party and this would not be good. Indeed, Atiku summoned us many times, to accept Audu Ogbeh and I, Alamieyeseigha was the chairman of the convention that brought Ogbeh to power. I even asked Ogbeh whether he did not come to my lodge to beg me for support and that today, he is saying that Obasanjo was not marketable, that if you Ogbeh were marketable, would you have come to beg me for support. I did all that for Obasanjo.
You reminded him that night?
Yes, I reminded him of all that. I said ‘Mr. President, I think some of us in this country have to tell you the truth. I don’t think you have any new ideas after eight years in power to generate to better the lives of Nigerians. You would have run out of ideas.
‘Two, Mr. President, you are one of the richest people we know in Africa and beyond.
‘Three, you have made a name for yourself both in Nigeria and beyond, so what else do you want?
‘Four, Mr. President, if nobody has told you, you are no longer a young man.
‘I said Mr. President, all your children are grown up and are educated so what else do you want? I will suggest to you that you should relinquish power based on the constitutional provisions.
What was his response to all these?
He shouted at me, that ‘I will throw you out of my house’.
I said Mr. President, with due respect, this is not your house; so many people have passed through this place; you did not construct the place and I’m sure you know our language “Soldier Go, Soldier Come, Barracks Remain”. I am from Bayelsa State, the core state of the Niger Delta, that this house was built with my money.
I reminded him that I am more educated.
As you said all these he kept quiet?
Of course, he was not comfortable but he had to listen. Nigerians do not know Obasanjo; Obasanjo is a coward but Nigerians do not know. When he’s in a corner, he is a coward. If you hear Obasanjo shouting, he has people around him but if he is alone, please forget it.
We heard that you and Obasanjo have a very long history in the military?
Yes! In 1976, when the Air Force was to become autonomous, I received the regimental colours from Obasanjo. In 1979, I commanded the Air Force parade
Would you then blame him for his expectation of total support from you?
I don’t blame him but this was about Nigeria and not Obasanjo;
you mean after eight years?
Was Nigeria made for him?

TO BE CONTINUED

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rivers ACN Blast Tinubu For Meeting With Amaechi / Amaechi Invites Jang Faction To Governors’ Forum Meeting / APC Vows To Drag President Jonathan To ICC Over OPC Protests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.