Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,936 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. (5061 Views)

Endtime Body Of Christ Church In Akure: What i spotted this evening(pics) / Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / Whats So Bad About Celestial Church Of Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by italo: 8:47pm On Mar 17, 2013
Yooguyz:
very ironic

Dear friend,

I have noticed that since the beginning of the thread, you have had nothing reasonable to add.

Will you please address the topic of discussion and leave me alone?

Thank you and God bless you as you do so.
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by italo: 8:56pm On Mar 17, 2013
Pastor Kun:

The problem is that you always view the 'truth' of scripture through tainted catholic lenses hence the difficulty you have in comprehending what the true gospel is.

I'd rather view scripture through the lenses of God's Church than through the lenses of the personal interpretation of people like you.

And please make a meaningful contribution to the topic and leave me alone.

Thank you and God bless you as you do so.
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by italo: 9:02pm On Mar 17, 2013
Goshen360: Okay, @All

# Student return back to class and take their sit #

Taking a look at the situation on ground at the moment, we shall suspend all back and forth argument. We shall use knowledge acquired from this course at the end to address issues raised by our brother italo or we can open another thread towards addressing the issue.

This course is just beginning and we have more to learn. The mention of allowing 'scripture illuminate scripture' is just the first mentioned step towards arriving at accurate truth and that led to this back and forth argument. Thank you all students for keeping the argument cool and mature. It's okay for us to argue\reason scriptures together but in a mature manner and without insult.

2. What is taught here is subject to scrutiny like the Bereans examined what Apostle Paul taught them. That was how they checked and balanced false teachings then. We must do same here and from what we learn in this course, I want to spread it radically and passionately. The Grace of God is available for us to do such.

3. I will demand us all to be 'open-minded' towards learning and not holding traditions while we wanna argue or reason the scriptures. When a point carries weight more than what you believe and it's being proved, the ideal thing I will expect is for each one of us to take it cool and re-visit the topic and consider other heavy argue being presented. That's how we can learn when open minded and hold unto the truth of God's word.

Hence, we have one pending issue to discuss AFTER the completion of this course and we shall engage all things learnt to address the pending issue. Should there be another issue arising against as we go along, if it turns another argument back and forth; we shall also pend it if we can't resolve it on time. I hope this makes sense for us to continue.

Class continues tomorrow.

Thank y'all.

Fair enough...as long as keep to your promise.
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by italo: 9:41pm On Mar 17, 2013
I hope it is not out of place to post this at this point.

Acts 8:30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.

31 “How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

32 This is the passage of Scripture the eunuch was reading:

“He was led like a sheep to the slaughter,
and as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
33 In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.
Who can speak of his descendants?
For his life was taken from the earth.”[b]
34 The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?” 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

Take a look at this story of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch.

The eunuch was reading scripture but did not understand. How did he understand? Did he use other scriptures to interpret the one he was reading? No!

He turned to the Church - represented by Philip.

If the Ethiopian could not understand "unless someone explained it" to him, do you think the Bereans would have understood the scriptures they were "searching everyday" on their own? NO. They would never have understood it without the guidance of the Church - represented by St Paul.

The Eunuch and the Bereans never "let scripture to interpret scripture." They understood scripture through the guidance of the CHURCH.

But then, I suspect this point of mine will be "PENDED" too.

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 4:17am On Mar 18, 2013
italo:

The eunuch was reading scripture but did not understand. How did he understand? Did he use other scriptures to interpret the one he was reading? No!

He turned to the Church - represented by Philip.

If the Ethiopian could not understand "unless someone explained it" to him, do you think the Bereans would have understood the scriptures they were "searching everyday" on their own? NO. They would never have understood it without the guidance of the Church - represented by St Paul.

The Eunuch and the Bereans never "let scripture to interpret scripture." They understood scripture through the guidance of the CHURCH.

But then, I suspect this point of mine will be "PENDED" too.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstood your words here. One the other side, the church was the Roman Catholic. On this side, the church is REPRESENTED. These people (Paul and Philip) are part of the church of God as you rightly said in which Ephesians 4:11-12 comes to play before the scripture was completely canonized.

Also, like I keep saying and this will be stressed in the next lesson, there is place for the ministry gifts which Christ gave to the church. The case of Apostle Paul and Philip is one of it and the revelation being progressive then. The Bereans system is what we are doing with this Bible course - to learn how examine what is being taught.

Yes, you're right - Apostle Paul taught the Bereans BUT what did the Bereans do? They examined and searched the scriptures TO FIND OUT IF WHAT APOSTLE PAUL TAUGHT WAS THE TRUTH - How to do that, like the Bereans is what we intend to embark on with this course. I hope you balance both sides and NOT just say we should turn to the church or ministry gifts alone; we MUST be able to search out the truth for ourselves and see if what the ministry gifts teaches is truth or mixed with error.

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by ogeelove(f): 4:24am On Mar 18, 2013
I am trying to follow this thread. This is in my quest for a better me in Christ. I do wish that the tone of this forum is humble, patient, long suffering and considerate for others. So far I do not see this. Pls forgive me but I don't want to feel like I am in the midst of Pharisees and Sadducees with regards to knowing the word but not living it. I do not mean to offend but there is such a thing as subtlety in the execution of words. When we say peace of GOD be with us let's mean it. And Mr Goshen et al can u pls use simple and concise sentences so I can follow otherwise the purpose for my following this thread might be defeated. Thanks all. Lots of luv.

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 4:26am On Mar 18, 2013
Lesson Two

THE OBJECTIVES OF THE EXPOSITORY BIBLE STUDY METHOD

Many books have been written on the subject of how to study the Bible. This method's value is that is teaches the expository method of studying Scripture, which focuses on an exegetical investigation of the Bible and teaches the individual how to study the Word of God for himself.

The expository method of Bible study seeks to present truths, concepts and principles that are taught by a Scripture passage. It does not "impose" a meaning on a passage, but seeks God's meaning from the passage. The basis of true expository Bible study is a thorough "exegesis" of the passage. In exegesis, one seeks to investigate the literal meaning of each word of Scripture. The definition of each word is considered with its relationship to the other words in its context. ("Context" refers to the verses before and after a verse and involves the environment, situation, and background in which you find a word or verse)

All this accumulated information will help you to determine the correct meaning of a portion of Scripture. Knowing the meaning of a passage will enable you to discover the spiritual truths God wants revealed and their practical application in life. At the heart of this study is the Biblical truth of the "verbal plenary inspiration" of Scripture. The doctrine of "verbal plenary inspiration" teaches that every word of Scripture is inspired by God. God used human writers who He directed through the Holy Spirit to record His Word. Under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they wrote what God wanted without error. What they wrote, in the original manuscripts was exactly what God wanted to say.

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." (2 Peter 1:21)

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 5:04am On Mar 18, 2013
The true child of God has a longing to know the truth of the Bible. He needs to learn how to study the Bible for himself. This is vital! Our philosophy of Biblical education today appears to be what could be called "spoon feeding". The believer depends on his pastor, Sunday school teacher, or writer of a book to feed him spiritually. However, preaching, teaching and reading books about the Bible should be only part of one's spiritual diet as secondary. Each child of God, in addition to being taught by others; that is by the ministry gifts in Ephesians 4:11-12, should be able to study the Bible and learn the truth for himself. Modern disciples of the Lord Jesus should be able to go to God's Word and spiritually feed himself and be able to defend his convictions from Scripture.

The emphasis of expository Bible study is in verse by verse examination of the Word of God within every context. By using this method, after your study is complete, the correct interpretation and application of the verses will become clearer and\or come alive to you. You will be less likely to impose YOUR meaning on the Scripture or a meaning that is not correct. You will be letting God interpret His Word and you will understand what God truly said and meant as at when the words were penned down by God's breathe.

As you read this material - pray, ask God for strength, and for wisdom. Then make a personal commitment to put the amount of time and dedication into this study that will allow God to shape you into a more useful servant. Remember, this method is not easy or quick. It is not a short-cut to Bible training. It will require time. Before you begin, realize that this could be the turning point in your becoming a better, more skillful Bible student. It could have eternal benefit in the souls and lives of the ones God sends your way!

All Christians are teachers. We teach at home, work and in daily routines of life. Some Christians have the privilege to teach from pulpits; some in classes such as Sunday School and in Bible Study classes. No matter where you are teaching this method will be of help to you (See II Timothy 4:2). This is a practical, hands on, course designed to develop Bible Study skills by raising Bible teachers in the body of Christ in the way of Bible truth and learning how to research expositorily, a verse or passage of Scripture.

The objectives of the method are:

1. To teach how to study and correctly interpret the Scriptures.

2. To build confidence in one's ability to understand the Bible and to teach others.

3. You will be studying passages of Scripture in detail to decide what they are saying under the guidance of the Holy Spirit that teaches truth. Please note, for the Spirit to guide into truth, there must be the task of 'studying'. You cannot learn something when you are not under the tutoring\teaching of someone - in this case, the Spirit of truth. John 16:13 parallels 2 Timothy 2:15 and also parallels 1 John 2:27, New Living Translations

4. You will learn how to start and build a good Bible reference library.

5. False and\or erroneous teachings will gradually be exposed and corrected in the light of the truth.

Finally for this lesson two, like italo mentioned about many Christians or as a matter of fact, most who teaches contradictory teachings claim to have the Holy Spirit and yet, our teachings are not one still. We must understand the test for the spirit that the Bible talks about for the end-time because many deceivers are gone into the church already. Truth will always AGREE from Genesis to Revelation.

In accurate interpretation of scriptures, Matthew does not contradict Genesis and Luke's Gospel doesn't contradict the Epistles of Paul or the General Epistles. All scriptures must agree. Therefore, it is our diligence by studying and\or careful examination of scriptures with the Spirit of truth that enables us come to accuracy. Moreso, the revelation of God's word is complete in Christ and canonized. Every accurate interpretation will ALWAYS agree with the written word that is already canonized in the Bible. If it doesn't agree and progressive from beginning to the end, it is not probably accurate and such need a more careful examination.

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by italo: 5:25am On Mar 18, 2013
Goshen360:

Please correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstood your words here. One the other side, the church was the Roman Catholic. On this side, the church is REPRESENTED.

These people (Paul and Philip) are part of the church of God as you rightly said in which Ephesians 4:11-12 comes to play before the scripture was completely canonized.

Why are you taking this issue back to the 'Catholic or no Catholic' thing? I deliberately left out the name 'Catholic' in my post so that we can have a better and reasonable discussion since there are many who would rather die than listen to the name.

Anyway, since that is the way you want it, you give me the opportunity to ask:

Who "completely canonized the scripture" according to you? When was it canonized and under whose inspiration? (please give evidence of your answer)

PLEASE ANSWER THIS FUNDAMENTAL QUESTION INSTEAD OF MERELY SCRATCHING THE SURFACE... God bless you as you do so.

Goshen360: Also, like I keep saying and this will be stressed in the next lesson, there is place for the ministry gifts which Christ gave to the church. The case of Apostle Paul and Philip is one of it and the revelation being progressive then. The Bereans system is what we are doing with this Bible course - to learn how examine what is being taught.

You are not doing the 'Berean system.' The Bereans didnt search scripture alone, they searched scripture and listened to the Church - represented by one of its bishops, St Paul. Even Paul himself didnt practise this your "let scripture interpret scripture" system.

Gal 2:2 "Then after fourteen years, I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also. 2 I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain."

Did you see that? As knowledgeable as Paul was, he wanted to be sure he was preaching the right thing, he didnt go to scripture to interpret scripture, he went back to the LEADERS of the CHURCH to interpret God's teaching! And there is no mention of them reading scripture together.

Goshen360: Yes, you're right - Apostle Paul taught the Bereans BUT what did the Bereans do? They examined and searched the scriptures TO FIND OUT IF WHAT APOSTLE PAUL TAUGHT WAS THE TRUTH - How to do that, like the Bereans is what we intend to embark on with this course. I hope you balance both sides and NOT just say we should turn to the church or ministry gifts alone; we MUST be able to search out the truth for ourselves and see if what the ministry gifts teaches is truth or mixed with error.

You are not doing as the Bereans did. The Bereans listened to the Church - represented by Paul. Who do you listen to? Who is your "Paul"? Does pride make you to think that you are the "Paul?" And let us even imagine that you are the "Paul," who are the leaders you go back to (like Paul did) to confirm if you are preaching the right thing or heresy.. If you are "running in vain" or not? You run back to yourself?

PLEASE THESE QUESTIONS ARE BEGGING FOR ANSWERS O...

Acts 20:

28 Take heed to yourselves, and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 I know that, after my departure, ravening wolves will enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 And of your own selves shall arise men speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

Which one are you now? Has the Holy Spirit placed you a BISHOP(verse 28)...or are you a RAVENING WOLF(verse 29)...or a you a part of the FLOCK(verse 28 & 29)...or are you part of the DISCIPLES DRAWN AWAY(verse 30)?

As for me, I am part of the flock being tended by my bishop who "rules the Church of God."

I know you are not a bishop and you are not listening to the bishop.

Doesnt that mean that you are either ravening wolf or a disciple drawn away?

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by italo: 6:09am On Mar 18, 2013
Goshen360: Every accurate interpretation will ALWAYS agree with the written word that is already canonized in the Bible.

"CANONIZED" BY WHO? "CANONIZED" WHEN? "CANONIZED" UNDER WHOSE GUIDANCE?

PLEASE ANSWER O...AND SHOW EVIDENCE OF YOUR ANSWER.
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 9:08pm On Mar 18, 2013
@ italo, ^^^

I will attend intensive to all your issues raised. Doing that on this thread will probably derail the purpose of this thread. I will start another thread for you and I, hopefully others will learn. Starting another thread for you and I, I will reference this very thread stating the basis of the new thread. My hands are too full at the moment and your answers need intensive feed back. I hope you bear with with for now.

Thank you.
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 2:09am On Mar 19, 2013
Lesson Three

Hence we begin the lesson\course proper. We shall look into ELEVEN principles of interpretation that let the Scripture interpret Scripture. When we say let Scripture interpret Scripture we are saying, let God interpret His Word for us.

ELEVEN PRINCIPLES OF THE LITERAL EXPOSITORY METHOD OF INTERPRETING SCRIPTURE.

I. FOLLOW THE CUSTOMARY USAGES OF THE LANGUAGE.

We have dictionaries that are lists of words with their definitions. A word can have several meanings. But a word does have a limited meaning. As an example take the word "boat". It could be referring to many types of water craft, but it would NOT be referring to a chariot pulled by horses. The customary and grammatical meaning of the word "boat" is a water craft. It would be improper to imply\interpret that when the writer used the word "boat" that he was referring to chariot.

Often, Bible interpreters incorrectly give Scripture an "allegorical" or so called "spiritual" meaning. Tan, uses the following examples of an allegorical interpretation of Scripture. One interpreter allegorically interpreted the journey of Abraham this way. He interpreted it as an imaginary trip of a Stoic philosopher who left his sensual understanding and after a time arrived back at his senses. Another example of misusing allegory would be to teach that the two pence given to the inn keeper in the parable of Good Samaritan, represented Baptism and Lord's Supper.

Accepting what the words literally mean is a vital part of this first rule. Unless the passage says otherwise, give Scripture a literal meaning. It is a well stated rule, "that if the literal sense makes sense, seek no other sense".

A. The example of Revelation 20:6.

1. For example, Revelation 20:6, states that Christ will reign for one thousand years after the Great Tribulation. This thousand years is called the "Millennium." This verse "literally" states that the time period is one thousand years. Amillennialists falsely assert that this thousand years is only figurative to support their belief that there will not be a thousand year reign of Christ on earth. They teach that although the Bible says it will be a thousand years it really means some indefinite period of time.

2. Here is the problem. If it does not mean a literal one thousand years then how do we go about finding out its "real" meaning? Their answer is simple. Let the Bible commentator or scholar tell you, because he has the education and insights that the ordinary Christian does not have. The problem with this answer is, which Bible commentator should you go to whom you can trust has the correct answer? With what criteria do you test each commentator to see who is correct? Do you see the problem? When you leave the literal method of interpreting Scripture you have no means to determine what the passage\text says! It is left up to each person to determine for himself what it means without any standard or system of rules to follow. Clearly, this is leads to great confusion and makes it impossible to know what God intend to tell us!

3. It is obvious from reading Revelation 20, that the thousand years is literal and not figurative. There is nothing in the passage that would suggest that the period of time is figurative. Thus if we accept literally what the Bible says we are letting the Bible interpret itself. The correct interpretation of the passage is that Christ will literally reign for one thousand years on earth! The literal meaning of the words tells us what God said. There is no confusion or misunderstanding. The question the "spiritualizers" of the Bible should ask themselves is, why did God say literally that this period of time would be a thousand years, when if He had some other period in mind. Why did not just state it plainly if meant something else?

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 2:11am On Mar 19, 2013
B. Often the Bible does use figurative speech. The art or skill of an interpreter, using the proper rules of interpretation combined with good biblical reasoning can easily understand the meaning. In 2 Peter 3:8, Peter says that one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. Here the time period is clearly figurative. Note that the verse says one day "is as" a thousand years. It does not say one day "is" exactly one thousand years. It would be wrong to take this figurative statement as meaning absolutely that a day in heaven is one thousand years. It would also be wrong to use this verse to say that a when the word day is used in Scripture it means one thousand years. Note that here the Bible is interpreting the Bible.

1. In the Bible, when a verse is not to be interpreted literally it is clearly indicated. By examining the passage we know that Peter in 2 Peter 3:8, used a simile. A simile is figure of speech in which one thing is liken to another. Also, the context of this verse presents further evidence that supports this view. Peter is addressing scoffers who rejected the truth that Christ would return to earth.

2. Many have tried to use this verse to fix the long ages of evolution into the Genesis account of Creation. They believe that this verse allows for great latitude in interpreting the word "day" in Genesis 1 and 2. But if we apply sound rules of interpreting Scripture to the passages in Genesis it too shows that this is an erroneous interpretation.

3. The word for "Day" is the Hebrew word, "yom" It can mean the followings:

(1) The period of light (contrasted from the period of darkness).
(2) A twenty four hour period.
(3) A general vague "time".
(4) A point in time.
(5) A year.

4. Some want to believe the "days of creation" were long periods of time, which would support evolution. They would suggest the meaning of the word "yom" is "long ages" They point to verses such as Psalm 102:2, which use the word in a general sense. "Hide not thy face from me in the day when I am in trouble..." This could mean the day was one twenty hour period or any length of time of trouble. However, to understand what the word means you must look at the word in all the contexts it is used. Look at verses such as Gen. 7:11, 27:45; Ex. 20:10; Lev. 22:277; Num. 7:24, 30, 36, 40, 48, 54, 60, 66, 72, 77-78; Psa. 88:1, 139:12, Eccl. 8:16. These verses illustrate an unfailing principle found in every use of the word, "yom" Whenever "yom" is modified by a number\figure, or whenever "yom" is used in conjunction with the idea of day and night, or light and darkness, it ALWAYS mean a normal twenty four hour day.

5. The use of a number with the word "yom" is conclusive evidence that the "Days of Creation" were twenty four hour periods of time. The Bible says, ". . .the evening and the morning were the first day". The use of the words, evening, morning and first, limits the meaning of the word "day" to a twenty four hour period of time. That is exactly what it says. To interpret the time period which is stated here as meaning anything but a twenty four hour period is a gross error in interpreting what the writer meant.

6. Further evidence is found in Exodus 20:11, which supports this conclusion that these days in Genesis 1, are twenty four hour period of time. Note the statement of Moses, "For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day: therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy." This is as clear a statement of the time frame of Creation as can be had. Moses in connecting the six day Creation with instructions concerning the Sabbath day is conclusive evidence that the Creation was accomplished in six literal twenty four hours periods.

7. Peter, in 2 Peter 3:8, is assuring believers that God will keep his promises to us. It is pointing out that God is not confined to time as we know it. The use of the phrase "a thousand years is as but a day with the Lord" is understood as being a metaphorical reference to the fact that God is not limited by time. What we might perceive as a delay in time is within the structure of God's plan for the world.

8. If you interpret 2 Peter 3:8, literally, then you would still have only seven thousand years for God to complete the Creation. You would still not have the billions of years the evolutionist insists it took to create the world and life as we know it. In any case you can not honestly use this passage as a precedent to interpret the "days" of Genesis 1, as being anything other than a twenty four hour period of time.

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 2:12am On Mar 19, 2013
C. The rule is this: "Always accept the literal meaning of the words of the passage unless there is strong evidence to do otherwise." As stated earlier, "If the literal sense makes sense, seek no other sense."

We are very fortunate to live in this age. Excellent Bible helps are available to help us find the original meaning of a word. Word study books such as Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words enables anyone to research a word without knowing the language and find its original meaning.

D. Syntax. Important to arriving at the correct meaning of a word is the study of syntax. Syntax is the study of the word in is grammatical setting. It deals with understanding the word's grammatical use as a verb, noun, adjective, adverb or part of speech. It also seeks to decide the tense, mood, voice, and case of a word.

E. When God used a particular word He did so to convey a particular meaning. You cannot ignore the customary and grammatical meaning of a word, in its historical setting and honestly claim to arrive at an interpretation of the passage that God intended. To ignore this principle of sound Biblical interpretation is to destroy the very Word of God itself. God did not give us a subjective and confusing method of understanding His Word. God chose each and every word for its precise meaning and recorded it and reserved it so there would be no confusion.

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 2:54am On Mar 19, 2013
Recommended Bible Study Helps\Aids and Reference Materials

Many are too much King James Version "ONLY" interpretation and do not know there were Bibles before the King James. Since the King James was translated from Hebrews\Greek are we to assume those who understood the words for 1611 years were wrong and the King James interpretation is now to be different? Was it the same Holy Ghost that led the Hebrews\Greeks to understand the words as it meant to them in the original language?

Why are many afraid of the Hebrews\Greeks? God chose the Hebrews\Greeks to preserve his word for 1611 years before there was a King James and therein we can find original meanings to the translated English words. If the Hebrew\Greek was the language the Old\New Testament was originally written in and there are Hebrews\Greeks today who read the same language, does God change the meaning he inspired the writers to write? Hebrew\Greek will not go away so easy just because there is a King James Version. The Hebrew\Greek meaning will "ALWAYS" be greater than any translations of the King James Version.

1. Bible Translations – Check as many as possible ENGLISH translations. Hardcover and online with KJV as 'suggested' first preference translation with many other ENGLISH translations for clarity and broader understanding of the English TEXT already being translated.

http://www.biblegateway.com/

http://www.blueletterbible.org/

http://christiananswers.net/bible/

http://www.olivetree.com/bible/

http://bible.cc/2_corinthians/9-9.htm

https://www.youversion.com/bible/1/jhn.1.kjv

2. Concordance

Hardcover Strong’s concordance – Check for Old (Hebrews) and New (Greek) Testament word study meanings in our study.

Online Strong’s concordance:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/index.cfm

http://www.biblestudytools.com/concordances/strongs-exhaustive-concordance

3. Dictionaries

Hardcover: Check all available hardcover bible dictionaries in your library (if any).

Online dictionaries:

Easton's Bible Dictionary and many others in the 2nd link - http://www.ccel.org/ccel/easton/ebd2.toc.html

http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionaries/eastons-bible-dictionary/

You can also visit the dictionary & encyclopedias session of this study website: http://www.intothyword.org/pages.asp?pageid=53515

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Tgirl4real(f): 2:49pm On Mar 19, 2013
Well-done Goshen!

2 Likes

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Mar 19, 2013
GOSHEN ALWAYS EXPOSING ONE THING OR THE OTHER. LET ME FIND OUT YOU EXPOSE YOURSELF AT CENTRAL PARK. LET ME FIND OUT grin grin grin grin HEY THERE ARE THESE WHITE MEN WHO GO AROUND IN TRENCH COATS AND NOTHING ELSE. WHEN THEY SEE WOMEN THEY EXPOSE THEMSELVES AND THEN RUN LMAO. HEY GOSHEN WHATS GOOD BRAH ? I HOPE SAY THOSE RIOTERS IN BROOKLYN NEVER BURN DOWN YOUR AMALA JOINT FOR THERE grin

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Adekdammy: 8:34pm On Mar 19, 2013
italo:

I know these more than you, I think.

Who are "those who are saved?"

St Paul said the Church is the household of God... It is visible.

Matt 18:17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

How can you report someone to an invisible church?

You and Jesus are clearly not talking about the same church.

You are on your own.
one of my observatn abt dis forum is dat some pple enjoy imposing wat dey know on others, i dont think dat is right, we all know in part and knowing d scriptures is not a function of denominatn but d holyspirit teaching us Himself, John 16.....afterall making heaven isnt a function of what denominatn do u belong.

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 5:34am On Mar 20, 2013
Lesson Four

II. COMMIT NO HISTORICAL OR CULTURAL BLUNDERS.

A. The Bible was written over a period of about 1400 years. During that time many historical and cultural changes have taken place. To arrive at the correct meaning of a passage you must consider when was the statement made. Next, you must consider the historical and cultural situation surrounding the passage.

B. The example of God's command to stone false prophets. Deuteronomy 13:5, deals with false prophets in Israel. It states that in Israel false prophets were to be put to death. That is clearly what the passage says and what God commanded Israel to do. Does this mean that Christians today are to put false prophets to death? Obviously, we would not because we live in a different time in history and have a different culture. We live in the Church Age, and dispensationally are not in the Age of the Law as was Israel then. God gave the Law to the "nation" of Israel; He did not give it to the local churches. It was Israel's Constitution, Bill of Rights and system of judicial laws.

We today are in the age of the local churches and we are not the nation of Israel. God was not addressing us in these passages. However, Christians can apply the principle behind the commandment. The basis of this law was that God wanted Israel to be separated\distanced away from false teachings saying; "...So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee." The churches today must keep its self AWAY from false teachers\prophets. We can apply this principle today by denouncing false prophets\teachers and remaining separate from them. It would be a wrong application of the passage for Christians today to practice putting false prophets to death. That would be a grave historical blunder.

C. The historical setting of the Book of Daniel. In interpreting the Book of Daniel, one would have to consider that Daniel was a captive in Babylon. All the events of his life take place there. This historical information would be essential in understanding the Book of Daniel.

D. Another example that could be confusing is the use of the names "Judah" and "Israel." Historically, the twelve tribes of Israel divided after the death of King Solomon. It is necessary to understand who the names "Israel" and "Judah" identify. The ten tribes, that occupied the northern area of Palestine, were called Israel. Most times the name "Israel" is referring to the nation as a whole or the twelve tribes. Other times it refers only to the ten northern tribes after the tribes separated after Solomon's death. The Bible addresses the tribes of Judah and Benjamin in the south a "Judah." The name "Judah" can refer to the Southern Kingdom (the two tribes of Judah and Benjamin). Or it may be referring to Judah alone, as the name of the tribe of David. You must consider the historical setting of the word's use to know what it refers to.

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 5:49am On Mar 20, 2013
III. MAKE CHRIST CENTRAL IN ALL INTERPRETATIONS AND\OR BIBLE STUDIES.

New International Version (©2011)
You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,

New Living Translation (©2007)
"You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me!

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

John 5:39

The whole Bible is about the Lord Jesus Christ; from Genesis to Revelation and Christ is central in all Scripture. Whatever is hidden in the Old is revealed in the New. Whatever is typified in the Old is revealed in the New. An example of not taking this principle into consideration would be to say that God had a plan of salvation in the Old Testament, but in the New Testament Christ came with a new plan. It would be saying the Old Testament saints were saved by the Law and the New Testament by Grace.

The Book of Hebrews clearly says that the Law and all the sacrifices did not atone for sin. Hebrews 11, states that all the Old Testament saints though their faith was commended but did not receive the promises of God. Their faith was in the future coming of the Messiah and Savior who would atone for sin. Thus, Christ was central in salvation in the Old Testament as He is in the New Testament. It was Christ's death on the Cross that saved the Old Testament saints. They trusted\have faith in Him as their Messiah, before the fact of His birth, death, burial and resurrection.

1 Like

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by PastorKun(m): 7:49am On Mar 20, 2013
I really love the way you are going about this teaching Goshen, really thorough and detailed. You are also teaching people to put things in there proper perspective for better understanding of scriptures unlike some charlatans who try to spiritualize everything in their bid to confuse other believers and create "principles" were there are none. With this type of approach, i believe brethen would be able to read and understand the scriptures better. God bless you real good for your effort.

2 Likes

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by italo: 9:01am On Mar 20, 2013
Goshen360: @ italo, ^^^

I will attend intensive to all your issues raised. Doing that on this thread will probably derail the purpose of this thread. I will start another thread for you and I, hopefully others will learn. Starting another thread for you and I, I will reference this very thread stating the basis of the new thread. My hands are too full at the moment and your answers need intensive feed back. I hope you bear with with for now.

Thank you.

Reasonable enough. I will leave you to discuss in peace...

...while I wait for you to keep your promises.

Thanks for having me anyway.
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by JIL(m): 9:30pm On Mar 20, 2013
God bless you Goshen for all the efforts you took to put all these together.

You are setting the proper foundation for many young Christians to read and understand the scriptures themselves to avoid being derailed by the doctrines of men.

You stuck to your plans despite efforts by some with their "holier than thou'attitude to derail the thread.

Thumbs up. Keep it up.

4 Likes

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by debosky(m): 10:25pm On Mar 20, 2013
God bless your efforts Goshen.

I'd just like to add one caveat to this expository: regardless of how much we study the word, there are bound to be disagreements when it comes to certain details - this happened even in Paul's day. As long as we agree on the one faith, one Lord and one baptism, we should seek to lessen the importance of disagreements on 'secondary' (I don't mean any scripture is unimportant) issues.
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by CarCam: 10:39pm On Mar 20, 2013
debosky: God bless your efforts Goshen.

I'd just like to add one caveat to this expository: regardless of how much we study the word, there are bound to be disagreements when it comes to certain details - this happened even in Paul's day. As long as we agree on the one faith, one Lord and one baptism, we should seek to lessen the importance of disagreements on 'secondary' (I don't mean any scripture is unimportant) issues.

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by MissOpe(f): 11:01pm On Mar 20, 2013
BRO GOSHEN u're simply 'D Voice and D exposition of liberty.... Weldone.

2 Likes

Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 5:04am On Mar 21, 2013
^ Thank you sister Ope, blessed and glory to God who had given us this Grace and called us into this faith. We desire that every student will experience a transference of the Berean Grace through the Spirit of God to do diligent studies and spread this knowledge by imparting another Christian, one by one and let it spread. Thank you and to God we return all the glory.
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 5:15am On Mar 21, 2013
debosky: God bless your efforts Goshen.

Thank you my dear brother. Yes, we will always disagree and you're right. We also hope to lessen our disagreement should everyone of us release ourselves to God's Spirit in the truth of this course. I believe the truth had already being completed in God word. We have read the disagreements in the days of Paul and read how it was resolved; it shouldn't be a disagreement to us anymore.

We ONLY seek to spread from here, how every Christian can do good study in the word and hold onto the truth. There's a great injustice being done to God's word and this we must hold onto the integrity of God's word. If everyone of us can do our part after this course, and spread the teachings; also making use of the course in our Christian life, with time, many long held error will be corrected.

Thank you brother!
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by italo: 5:45am On Mar 21, 2013
Goshen360:

We have read the disagreements in the days of Paul and read how it was resolved; it shouldn't be a disagreement to us anymore.

How was it resolved?
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 5:55am On Mar 21, 2013
Lesson Five

IV. BE CONSCIOUS OF CONTEXT-TO-CONTEXT.

A. The context of a text or verse refers to its setting within a larger portion of Scripture. It refers to the verses that occur before and after the text. This would include the paragraph, chapter and book. The situation surrounding the text is relevant in understanding its meaning. The writers of Scripture wanted to convey to their readers certain information\truth\revelation. They wrote in the environment in which they lived. This is why knowing the background and current situation of the Scripture passage is so important.

B. For an example look at 1 Corinthians 15:32: The verse ends with the words, "let us eat, drink; for tomorrow we die." Without considering the context of this phrase it would appear Paul was teaching a person is to live a carefree life, getting all the "gusto" they can. A look at the context of the statement shows that Paul was teaching quite the opposite. He was instructing the Corinthians that there is life after death. Man will be judged and held accountable for his deeds. The point Paul made was that if there was no resurrection of the dead there was no reason to live a righteous life. In the 'context' of verse 33-34, Paul is rebuking the Corinthians for the way they were living. They were living as if there was not going to be a resurrection and this was to their shame! So we see that the context of a verse is very important and absolutely necessary for understanding or interpreting the verse.

C. Many false\contradictory teachings and beliefs, that are so prevalent today, can be traced to ignoring of the context of a passage or lifting a verse out of context and giving such a "private interpretations". In some case, mistakes\error can be made by sincere men who handle God's word. In other case, false teachers who have no fear of God and they deliberately deceive their followers.

D. There a denomination that quote 1 Corinthians 15:29, as their text verse in establishing their practice of baptizing the living for the dead. Paul in making this statement was not teaching a doctrine. He was using the practice of some pagan religions of baptizing for the dead as an illustration of the universal belief in life after death. How do we know that this is what he meant? Look at the context of the statement. From the context of the statement we can see that the subject of the passage is the resurrection of the dead.

Verse 12, establishes the theme Paul is addressing, "Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead." Contextually, verse 29 is a part of Paul's answer to this question. You cannot honestly say what this verse means without considering the context and everything said in conjunction to this statement. The Bible nowhere teaches that baptism for the dead are a Christian practice or Biblical doctrine. This is the only reference to such a practice in the Bible. There's nowhere else it agrees with another scriptures and from the mouth of two or three, every truth shall be established - you cannot make a doctrine out of just one single verse of scriptures.

A good rule is: "A text without a context is only a pretext." It is impossible to understand any statement without considering its context.
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 6:11am On Mar 21, 2013
E. We must consider the following aspects of context in researching a passage.

1. Immediate Context
2. Broad Context
3. Parallel Context
4. Historical Context
5. Analogical Context

1. The Immediate Context of the verse means the verses just before and after the verse.

2. The Broad Context of a verse addresses the verse's place within the chapter and the entire book.

3. The Parallel Context of the verse refers to other places the word or text is found. It may be in the same book or a different place in Scripture; it often "parallels" one another in seeking to unloose unclear verse(s). An example of studying a parallel context would be consulting a Harmony of the Gospels to find other Scriptures where accounts of an event in the life of Christ are found.

In studying the parallel context, if the New Testament quotes the Old Testament, you would study the context of the Old Testament passage. This would help you decide why the New Testament writer quoted such and what it means where it was quoted from would be the same parallel of what it means where it was quoted or applied by the writer - omitting this principle is committing a great out of parallel contextual error that can damage the truth.

For an example you will find three accounts of the Temptation of Christ. Matt. 4:1-11, Mark 1:12-13, and Luke 4:1-13. Seeking a parallel context could give a greater understanding of a statement or event, as one writer may give information another would omit.

4. Seeking the Historical Context would lead to consulting history to find the setting of the statement. The Historical Context can be found from several places. First, would be from the Book that the passage of Scripture is found and\or was quoted from. Next, you could consult one or several of your Study Helps\Aids. Book on archaeological discoveries made in the Bible lands have shed light on many Biblical events. All these findings together would show the current traditions or political situations of the passage. In language studies how a word was used in the past helps reveal what was original meaning.

5. The Analogical Context is vital to arriving at the proper interpretation of a passage of Scripture. The analogy of a passage of Scripture deals with its resemblance or similarity with the rest of the Bible. This is discussed in detail in the next section. Briefly it means that Scripture does not contradict itself. If the passage you read seems to contradict some other Scripture, then you must study further to understand the passage.

Every Scripture is interconnected to all other Scriptures. You cannot take a verse or passage out of its context, a way from the other Scripture and interpret it correctly. This will lead us to the next principle of interpretation.
Re: Expository Bible Study Course – Raising Bible Bereans In The Body Of Christ. by Goshen360(m): 6:23am On Mar 21, 2013
italo:

How was it resolved?

Resolved by Apostolic teachings.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? / What They Would Have Looked Like (Biblical Characters) / Be Mindful Of Christ's Obedience At The Cross - Joseph Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.